Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'd honestly prefer to find out for myself to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'd honestly prefer to find out for myself to be honest.

I'll break from the pack and say it's pretty enjoyable, although it worked a lot better for me when I decided the villains being gloriously incompetent was a plus for me: They're a bunch of monster supremacists who have taken over a megacorp with raw power and have no idea what to do with it, and they're all enforcers who have no idea how to run an organization. The bit where Smart Brain shuts down during the final episode shuts down after 40-odd episodes of Murakami being awful at planning helps this view.. Lucky Clover's sheer incompetence and meandering nature just became hilarious.

Kusaka (KR Kaixa) is the absolute worst though, and his actor is amazing at it. And you saw my earlier praise for Takumi earlier in the thread. Just expect things to break down some during the last ten episodes. (Just... the Orphenoch King. Also, has the actor who played the real Shouichi in Agito ever been a good addition to a series?)

EDIT: Paradise Lost has really good fights, and the plot is at least amazing nonsense as opposed to actively brain melting like some Rider movies.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 16, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, I heard about Kaixa. Makes me wonder why Takumi was mourning him in the Taisen stuff to be honest.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
never tvn. not even once.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

mikeycp posted:

never tvn. not even once.

I actually watched the entirety of their Shinkenger subs.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's how I first watched Shinkenger.

It's amazing I still love it so much.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The final arc is great and it still has one of the greatest suitless role calls.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Yeah, I heard about Kaixa. Makes me wonder why Takumi was mourning him in the Taisen stuff to be honest.

Yeah, that was odd. I can rationalize it with Takumi having issues in general with people dying, including many of the people he fights, but Kusaka is the worst and Takumi was the one person always onto his crap in the series. Plus, Takumi is a giant pile of self-worth issues and self-loathing (less after the series) and he'd probably be easy to convince his life was worth less than someone else's. Still, Takumi's actor was in character enough I mostly rolled with it. Plus, it got us the scene of Kusaka's angry ghost (perfectly in jackass character) being destroyed by the light of a Rider transformation, and I will treasure that. (KR #4 still mentions Kusaka like that, but it makes me much happier by also mentioning Kiba in the same sentence, who makes much more sense.)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Some Numbers posted:

I actually watched the entirety of their Shinkenger subs.

you poor soul

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
Out of all the "solo" Rider movies, Faiz's Paradise Lost and Agito's G4 Project are the only ones that I could even watch, let alone finish. SO good.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

gourdcaptain posted:

Yeah, that was odd. I can rationalize it with Takumi having issues in general with people dying, including many of the people he fights, but Kusaka is the worst and Takumi was the one person always onto his crap in the series. Plus, Takumi is a giant pile of self-worth issues and self-loathing (less after the series) and he'd probably be easy to convince his life was worth less than someone else's. Still, Takumi's actor was in character enough I mostly rolled with it. Plus, it got us the scene of Kusaka's angry ghost (perfectly in jackass character) being destroyed by the light of a Rider transformation, and I will treasure that. (KR #4 still mentions Kusaka like that, but it makes me much happier by also mentioning Kiba in the same sentence, who makes much more sense.)

so basically, Takumi was all "Kusaka was an rear end in a top hat, but he was MY rear end in a top hat"?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gourdcaptain posted:

Kusaka (KR Kaixa) is the absolute worst though, and his actor is amazing at it. And you saw my earlier praise for Takumi earlier in the thread. Just expect things to break down some during the last ten episodes. (Just... the Orphenoch King. Also, has the actor who played the real Shouichi in Agito ever been a good addition to a series?)

EDIT: Paradise Lost has really good fights, and the plot is at least amazing nonsense as opposed to actively brain melting like some Rider movies.

Yeah, Kusaka is pure evil and directly responsible for a lot of the conflicts in the show (though you'll find that there's a lot of problems in this show that could have easily been solved with a simple conversation, but instead nobody tells anybody anything until it's too late). He does get what he deserves at the end though (and for reference, the scene shown in Heisei Vs. Showa isn't at all how it actually went down in Faiz, Takumi wasn't there at all for example). His actor does do a great job at portraying him as the slimy rear end in a top hat he is though, I will admit.

To make matters worse there's apparently an official novel where he comes back and rapes Mari, I have no idea why you would put something like that in a novelization of a kids show but it exists.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'd honestly be more bothered by the whole thing about characters not talking to each other in Rider shows if it weren't a particular aspect of Japanese culture that people are more private with feelings and problems like this. Not to mention, the newer Heisei series don't really avoid it either, so I don't get why people single out the earlier stuff.

On top of that, while I'm no expert on 555, it seems like these people barely trust each other to start with.

Obviously you can go too far with it (like everything I've seen of Kiva) but it's something to keep in mind.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Larryb posted:

Yeah, Kusaka is pure evil and directly responsible for a lot of the conflicts in the show (though you'll find that there's a lot of problems in this show that could have easily been solved with a simple conversation, but instead nobody tells anybody anything until it's too late). He does get what he deserves at the end though (and for reference, the scene shown in Heisei Vs. Showa isn't at all how it actually went down in Faiz, Takumi wasn't there at all for example). His actor does do a great job at portraying him as the slimy rear end in a top hat he is though, I will admit.

To make matters worse there's apparently an official novel where he comes back and rapes Mari, I have no idea why you would put something like that in a novelization of a kids show but it exists.

I disagree as to the talkability of a lot of those issues partially due to fundamental viewpoint issues (and Takumi being terrified of rejection for spoiler reasons) and the fact that Takumi is just... not social at all, but there's a reason a friend of mine states Kusaka is the real main villain of Faiz.

EDIT: It's something written by Inoue outside of the main plot of a series he wrote. They're all bafflingly bad, and I _like_ Faiz and Kiva for crying out loud. (Kiva's a glorious trainwreck, but it's a glorious trainwreck I love.)

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'd honestly be more bothered by the whole thing about characters not talking to each other in Rider shows if it weren't a particular aspect of Japanese culture that people are more private with feelings and problems like this. Not to mention, the newer Heisei series don't really avoid it either, so I don't get why people single out the earlier stuff.

On top of that, while I'm no expert on 555, it seems like these people barely trust each other to start with.

Pretty much. And Takumi's got reasons to be more private and awkward than most.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
are there any blogs you follow for toku, specifically anyone who can pull off the impossible task of liveblogging the current sentai and rider series and telling good jokes or making at least mildly intelligent observations?
I don't think I can get anyone else into the hobby, and for discussion there was this thread and a circle of tumblr blogs... that I've just stopped reading altogether. For a while I was able to tolerate them liking Kamen Rider Ghost and Ultraman Ginga as their favorite series and how they actually dislike Dan and in fact get mad every time Ex-Aid even tries to do anything interesting but... I just can't anymore.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

still enjoying Drive. But like.

What's the purpose of the "HOLD IT!" on Chaser's axe? It feels like an excuse to draw out the fight and, in universe, rather impractical.

Is it just a case of Rinna being Rinna?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

still enjoying Drive. But like.

What's the purpose of the "HOLD IT!" on Chaser's axe? It feels like an excuse to draw out the fight and, in universe, rather impractical.

Is it just a case of Rinna being Rinna?

It's a street sign joke, that's all there is to it. Gotta wait to cross the road man.

I will say that it does pay off in a big way. I look forward to hearing your thoughts then.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I just wondered if there was a practical reason or if it was a gag. Like it might be charging up or something.

But okeedoke, I'll keep an eye out.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Coincidentally, it makes a very convenient gimmick for a lights-and-sounds toy. Totally not related at all.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
It's used a lot for visual gags. Like Chase will start the finisher and then leave his axe lying around, punch people with his giant fists, then pick up the axe when it's ready to go.

Silly poo poo. :v:

Phimose Knight fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 16, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

God, I want Nira to just die or get hit by a truck or something. What a tiresome character.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
One thing you will think is either kind of cool or extremely frustrating is the amount of belt-swapping that goes in in Faiz. Unlike most other Riders, Faiz's belt (usually) doesn't appear out of nowhere when he wants to transform, he carries it around in a briefcase, and more people than just Takumi can and do use it. The same goes for the Kaixa and Delta gears too. This also ends up with the characters often using belts they don't normally do, such as Takumi using the Delta gear for a couple of episodes. In fact, one character, I think it's Kiba (though I could be remembering wrong) uses all three belts at least once during the series.

gourdcaptain posted:

(Kiva's a glorious trainwreck, but it's a glorious trainwreck I love.)

Maybe you can explain to me what the deal was with that girl that was always hanging around Wataru's house, and did she know he was Kiva? I mean she clearly knew about Kivat, they talked with each other a lot, but it also seemed like he was trying to hide that he was Kiva from her? poo poo was weird.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

why would that be frustrating? I mean. Not every series has to use the convention that a rider is hard locked to their particular belt.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I haven't seen Faiz but to my understanding it's used as the basis for a lot of misunderstandings.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How much do you like OUR HERO ISN'T THEMSELVES TODAY plots that create huge misunderstandings that would be easily solved if anyone ever talked about anything once

And no it goes beyond cultural differences and straight into loving common sense. "I am being accused of doing Thing I Did Not Do and I have zero reason to ignore it or brush it off because it is negatively affecting me directly."

That's a trope that Inoue leans on way too goddamn hard. Agito is the only time he pulled it off in a reasonable manner. After that, it's pure bullshit start to finish. Easily solved things become huge points of melodrama.

And in a show of good faith, an example of that kind of thing being done well enough? Kamen Rider the First. Girl thinks Hongo killed her fiance, when really it was the evil Shocker Cyborg that did it!

Only Hongo was in the middle of killing the fucker until he regained his soul and thus feels super guilty about what happened and also lacks self worth considering himself a monster who deserves her ire.

There. Done. Good reason to avoid clearing up the problem.

In Inoue's work, people don't clear up stuff like that because they're morons and that's the only reason.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm really gonna need to see how this is done in operation before I can form an opinion, but like

I can think of multiple instances in non-Inoue stories where that happens, so again.

I need to see it for myself to know the context. EDIT - I'm not discounting what you guys are saying, but these movies have made me honestly interested in Takumi and I wanna see what his story is like for myself. In the end, you have to form your own opinion.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 16, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Twelve by Pies posted:

One thing you will think is either kind of cool or extremely frustrating is the amount of belt-swapping that goes in in Faiz. Unlike most other Riders, Faiz's belt (usually) doesn't appear out of nowhere when he wants to transform, he carries it around in a briefcase, and more people than just Takumi can and do use it. The same goes for the Kaixa and Delta gears too. This also ends up with the characters often using belts they don't normally do, such as Takumi using the Delta gear for a couple of episodes. In fact, one character, I think it's Kiba (though I could be remembering wrong) uses all three belts at least once during the series.

Kiba never becomes Delta. It's Kusaka who becomes all three (Kaixa as main, Delta for one fight I think, and Faiz to impersonate Takumi because he's a piece of poo poo). That said, Kiba does get three Rider forms himself as he's Orga in the movie.

Also for all it's really annoying to watch, it's important to point out that people being bad at properly communicating and how that ends terribly is a major point in Faiz. There's a reason why they transform with cellphones, and the reason is irony. It definitely could've been handled better though, because at some point I just wanted to punch everyone. Especially Kusaka.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Maybe you can explain to me what the deal was with that girl that was always hanging around Wataru's house, and did she know he was Kiva? I mean she clearly knew about Kivat, they talked with each other a lot, but it also seemed like he was trying to hide that he was Kiva from her? poo poo was weird.

The gear swapping doesn't bother me, I actually like that as the first somewhat generically usable belts in Rider they play with that vulnerability. Especially since the things are bulky and awkward and I can see why even though it's a terrible idea the reluctant especially early on Takumi wouldn't bring the belt everywhere until he got into it more willingly.

Yeah, that bit in Kiva's just awkward. Series among other things has one of my favorite Riders in Nago Keisuke, who's a self deluding idiot who's so bad at being a Rider (I counted, he defeats 2.5 monsters over the course of the series) and I just love every moment of this sheer trash of a man. And I love that his character development is him essentially deluding himself into thinking he was unknown to himself an ally of Kiva all along and trying to pass it off as that instead of just terrible.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kiva gave us Ixa-cise at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPgq4cCthaE

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Why I love Nago so much summarized in two minutes.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

why would that be frustrating? I mean. Not every series has to use the convention that a rider is hard locked to their particular belt.

I actually like the belt-swapping, but I have heard people complain about it before. In fact, I kind of wish more Heisei Rider series would do it occasionally, I mentioned before how I was really disappointed that Hiiro didn't get to use Mighty Action X when he was trying to prevent Emu from fighting.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Kiba never becomes Delta. It's Kusaka who becomes all three (Kaixa as main, Delta for one fight I think, and Faiz to impersonate Takumi because he's a piece of poo poo). That said, Kiba does get three Rider forms himself as he's Orga in the movie.

I did remember him using the Faiz belt to impersonate Takumi, I just forgot he used Delta. I think I sort of remember now, it was one of the later episodes with a big fight between Kusaka and Takumi, and he only used it for a few seconds.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I did remember him using the Faiz belt to impersonate Takumi, I just forgot he used Delta. I think I sort of remember now, it was one of the later episodes with a big fight between Kusaka and Takumi, and he only used it for a few seconds.

Any memorable scene involving Delta is someone else than the "official" Delta, Shuji Mihara, an utterly worthless waste of screentime. Like, I sympathize with your urge to get away from this craziness... so do so. Please don't stick around. His only contribution is to be Kusaka's easily cowed lackey. Then again, what do you expect from someone who's initial Delta transformation is overshadowed by the exact same fight having the big Takumi reveal.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The real tragedy with Delta is that the original wearer, Saya Kimura, was a genuinely interesting character for what little screen time she got. It's bad enough that Shuji Mihara was a dull lacky, he had to replace someone cool on top of that.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

One thing you will think is either kind of cool or extremely frustrating is the amount of belt-swapping that goes in in Faiz. Unlike most other Riders, Faiz's belt (usually) doesn't appear out of nowhere when he wants to transform, he carries it around in a briefcase, and more people than just Takumi can and do use it.

Unless you're Female And Therefore Too Fragile.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

John McClane posted:

Unless you're Female And Therefore Too Fragile.
It's kind of sad when "killed in an explosion to motivate a male character" is a step up for the franchise.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

My favorite part about Delta is how it's stronger than both the Faiz and Kaixa gears, but its power is also based on the wearer's desire to fight. So we replace the extremely strong and competent woman using it at the beginning with a wimpy guy who's scared to fight and thus the Delta gear is practically useless for the rest of the series.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

My favorite part about Delta is how it's stronger than both the Faiz and Kaixa gears, but its power is also based on the wearer's desire to fight. So we replace the extremely strong and competent woman using it at the beginning with a wimpy guy who's scared to fight and thus the Delta gear is practically useless for the rest of the series.

Heck, I'm still not sure why they didn't have (in-universe reasons, out of universe it amounts to "because Toei executives and maybe Inoue are terrible on this") the woman who spent all her time after a while hanging out with Mihara making sure he didn't say... fling the Delta Gear under a truck (this happened) be Delta instead. Couldn't go worse.

I mean, I like Faiz a lot and the applicability of the Orphenoch stuff... but there's a reason I like to say it's my favorite 80% of a Rider series. That last 20% is just awful.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

gourdcaptain posted:

Heck, I'm still not sure why they didn't have (in-universe reasons, out of universe it amounts to "because Toei executives and maybe Inoue are terrible on this") the woman who spent all her time after a while hanging out with Mihara making sure he didn't say... fling the Delta Gear under a truck (this happened) be Delta instead. Couldn't go worse.

I mean, I like Faiz a lot and the applicability of the Orphenoch stuff... but there's a reason I like to say it's my favorite 80% of a Rider series. That last 20% is just awful.

Counterpoint: Save for the suits, Faiz is AWFUL.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The suits are really good, though. Delta is probably my favorite Heisei era design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Schwarzwald posted:

The suits are really good, though. Delta is probably my favorite Heisei era design.

Yes, suits good, show really, really bad. You know it's bad when the Decade segment was better than the actual show.

• Locked thread