Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FPzero posted:

Huge variation in level qualities today.

Today's tip: Coins are generally indicators of safety in Mario, so make sure that any coin path you make for the player will be safe. The player should be able to follow that exact path and not be hit.

That fish level was extremely charming, especially with the Kirby(?) music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
It's the last boss, and he's got a counter for savestates!

ROCKMAN CX #14: Sins
(Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, NGDBSS, Combat Lobster, and Simply Simon)

Heavy Sigh fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 13, 2017

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Whelp. That exceeded expectations on how utterly dumb it would get. "So the final boss requires a lot of weapon energy of two particular weapons, what if the player runs out?" "Just have them kill themselves for a restock." "Brilliant! Let's give the boss extra health to compensate though."

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You have to kill yourself at the final boss at least 4 times in order to win.

You have to kill yourself at the final boss at least 4 times in order to win. :psyduck:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm sure the beta testers were all yes-men and/or people who had the same "bullshit hard = good" mentality as the creator.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Holy crap when I watched speedruns of CX I thought the spike drop at the end there was a cutscene, because there's no way they would actually make the player do it, right?!

My god, the Undertale music couldn't be any more fitting.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

There's an interesting (or perhaps annoying?) trend of people trying to copy the unfair and trollish Sans boss fight without any seeming awareness of why it exists and works in Undertale but not necessarily anywhere else.

Honestly though like with other fangames like this I want to take a more forgiving(?) stance on this and say that it's not that far off from being really good if any actual care was taken to balance the difficulty curve and develop sensible level design, as truthfully I quite liked a lot of what I saw. Not that I want to imply any of that is easy, because it isn't, but I really believe that type of thing is fixable with just a tiny bit of self-awareness.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Dr. Light going all Ryu on your rear end was brilliant. In fact, almost all of the broad strokes of this sound great or at least silly in an Axe Cop sense. It's all the details that turn it into a horror. Like Simon said, someone should take this ROM and make a game out of it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, Dr. Light going all Ryu on your rear end was brilliant. In fact, almost all of the broad strokes of this sound great or at least silly in an Axe Cop sense. It's all the details that turn it into a horror. Like Simon said, someone should take this ROM and make a game out of it.

e.g. Cheat Man is a really fun idea that someone with this level of hacking expertise could do great things with. But as implemented he's way too hard for a fun casual game and way too random for a serious skill game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

What the poo poo, I don't understand this romhack. It's so cool and does so many neat things, but then it has no semblance of balance! What the hell, someone please turn that rom into a real game!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but the romhacking community, megaman in particular, is incredibly unbalanced. Like, nearly every hack has interesting/clever ideas with poo poo level design. Or well thought out level shapes, and terrible graphics. Or completely unbalanced weapons. etc. etc. I'm not saying these creators are untalented, but they definitely need better constructive criticism, and probably collaborators to even out which parts excel. At the end of the day however, I'm fairly certain most of these are vanity projects made to try to show off how they can make a game as good as Capcom can, and would never even entertain the idea of collaboration, or take any suggestions that aren't hugbox quality.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well that certainly was a romhack. :psyduck:

Technically impressive as hell but dear god the level design and difficulty imbalance. It's so frustrating to see such amazing assembly hacking gone to waste in this terribly designed game!

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
There was mention in the video of someone doing a Perfect Play of that game. Could I get a link?

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Valgaav posted:

There was mention in the video of someone doing a Perfect Play of that game. Could I get a link?

There's this speedrun that appears to take no damage at all (no doubt with many save states or just memorization):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPbwesaAR_0

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Ephraim225 posted:

There's this speedrun that appears to take no damage at all (no doubt with many save states or just memorization):

he had a bit of weapon energy left when baby bowser dr light went down. gotta make those shots count, i guess.

e: actually no, he had almost nothing of either. so there's just barely enough to do it on one life.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Prav posted:

he had a bit of weapon energy left when baby bowser dr light went down. gotta make those shots count, i guess.

e: actually no, he had almost nothing of either. so there's just barely enough to do it on one life.

He did waste quite a bunch of paper shots to invincibility frames, so...

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
That was amazing, holy poo poo. I'm dying of laughter at how technical and stupid the whole thing is.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I'm sorry for Simon for knowing what good and bad Mega Man games look like and all the people here who know what it takes to make a rom hack. Cause I too can see this guy threw a bunch of ideas into it just to say he ripped the limitations of the NES in half. So technical ability takes a back stage to sensibilities saying "we don't need 10 enemies on screen with another one hovering on the edge waiting to spawn once you kill it." "Let's make a little shotgun with 6 shots or so on screen instead of 3 slow eggs at a time, but let's make it do a fraction of a point of damage so you have to see each and every one."

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Heavy Sigh posted:

It's the last boss, and he's got a counter for savestates!

ROCKMAN CX #14: Sins
(Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, NGDBSS, Combat Lobster, and Simply Simon)

:stare:

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

The level re-visit section was a pretty cool idea, that should have just replaced the boss re-fights. Hope someone uses that in a better hack.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

A really excellent level heavily marred by one segment. It's a shame because I really liked the level overall. It probably took us just shy of 30 minutes to beat but compare it to the black and white flying yoshi level (Episode 15) and the big difference is that I was generally having fun with this level even as I was continually failing.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
"Great Decor But A Little Noisy"

We stayed at the Swiss Hotel when we were visiting friends. The rooms were pretty and the staff very helpful and friendly, but the decor leaved a little to be desired. The elevators had these antiquated swinging ball and chains but the saws moved in really pretty patterns. Would give 4/5 stars but we kept hearing someone screaming all night and the front desk agent was less than helpful about taking care of it.

It was also close to downtown and a ton of great restaurants. The Chinese place down the street had the best General Tso's I've ever had!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, while that level looked hard, it didn't seem like bullshit. It seemed pretty forgiving since it was throwing out mushrooms fairly often, and actually providing safety nets at certain points. It definitely could have used some refinement.

The only hint I saw was the notice that said Columbus. Were you meant to "enter" the date? Since those signs were coins, I wonder if you would have gotten dragon coins going down the right ones. Though there were only 4 "inputs" so I dunno where the 5th one would be placed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
For the falling segment, I think you were supposed to figure out to aim away from the doors -- they're tall (giving you some advance warning), and the platforms are set up so that you land on them if you're near the door when you reach its level. But I think that's a lot easier to notice in hindsight or as a spectator.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

The hint was the box that said "PASSMEM: Columbus". In 1492, Colombus sailed the ocean blue. :eng101:

The back half of the level runs long enough that I'd be surprised if most people retain a random line from a message block that seems nonsensical at the moment, though...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
That was probably one of the most creative levels I've seen so far.

Plus it didn't seem entirely bullshit, hard but fair.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Oh, and before I forget....

ROCKMAN CX #SPECIAL: METSU SHORYUKEN
(Dr. Light, Rockman CX, Pain)

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

What the hell caused the infinite dragon punch? Using the Cheat Servel?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ok that's actually pretty funny! Now if only the punchline weren't the player's repeated suffering. :sigh:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Look at all those 1-hit KOs.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Like, what does Dr. Light even need Mega Man for at this point?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FPzero posted:

A really excellent level heavily marred by one segment. It's a shame because I really liked the level overall. It probably took us just shy of 30 minutes to beat but compare it to the black and white flying yoshi level (Episode 15) and the big difference is that I was generally having fun with this level even as I was continually failing.

What was the music in that level? It sounds Goemon-esque.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

What was the music in that level? It sounds Goemon-esque.

We're the Robots from Megaman 9

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Well poo poo. I'm almost done watching Raocow's playthrough of this, and may God have mercy on your souls.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

LogicalFallacy posted:

Well poo poo. I'm almost done watching Raocow's playthrough of this, and may God have mercy on your souls.

I have faith in FPZero. He's been involved-ish in the SMW community for years. Surely he has the wherewithal to make it through this... right?

I've also been watching Raocow's playthrough. It's surprisingly watchable, considering Raocow regularly commits virtually everything SA might consider an LP sin (singing, stream-of-consciousness/non sequitur commentary, filling dead air for the sake of filling dead air, etc.). Something about his consistent good cheer manages to carry the thing. I've gone no further than the thread has, though, because I enjoy the compare-and-contrast between the two sets of reactions, and FPZero and Tyty are considerably more concise in their responses to a level than he is.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

vdate posted:

I have faith in FPZero. He's been involved-ish in the SMW community for years. Surely he has the wherewithal to make it through this... right?

I've also been watching Raocow's playthrough. It's surprisingly watchable, considering Raocow regularly commits virtually everything SA might consider an LP sin (singing, stream-of-consciousness/non sequitur commentary, filling dead air for the sake of filling dead air, etc.). Something about his consistent good cheer manages to carry the thing. I've gone no further than the thread has, though, because I enjoy the compare-and-contrast between the two sets of reactions, and FPZero and Tyty are considerably more concise in their responses to a level than he is.

Wait, when did people turn on Raocow? He used to post threads in LP all the drat time and they were some of my favorites.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

cis autodrag posted:

Wait, when did people turn on Raocow? He used to post threads in LP all the drat time and they were some of my favorites.

I don't think they did. I'm just saying that a lot of what he does would probably generally be considered bad form. I've seen a lot of people commenting on solo-commentary chattering to fill dead air (e.g. in MaterialConceptual's FFT) thread, and I get the sense stream-of-consciousness nonsense is generally frowned upon. As with most things, I guess it's only bad form unless you can make it work.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

It works because it's Raocow. His mindless inanities work so well with his personality, and I highly doubt anyone else could pull it off so well.

But seriously, the man now insists on playing Kaizo-esque romhacks without save-states, but there are a few points in this contest where he's declared a gently caress-it and dropped a save-state.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

vdate posted:

I don't think they did. I'm just saying that a lot of what he does would probably generally be considered bad form. I've seen a lot of people commenting on solo-commentary chattering to fill dead air (e.g. in MaterialConceptual's FFT) thread, and I get the sense stream-of-consciousness nonsense is generally frowned upon. As with most things, I guess it's only bad form unless you can make it work.

A lot of things SA considers "bad form" are less "this is always bad" and more "most people aren't good/funny enough to pull this off."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

XavierGenisi posted:

What the hell caused the infinite dragon punch? Using the Cheat Servel?

Nah, the Dead Ringer did. Since it affects the AI of enemies that haven't seen you yet, and Dr Light left the screen for a split second when he did the Dragon Punch, he lost track of me. Since his AI tracks you throughout the fight to decide what to do next, it just kept repeating its last action.

• Locked thread