Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

This looks to be exactly what I wanted it to be! Can't wait!

Also the comic version of the story debuted today so if you're a fan you should check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

This looks to be exactly what I wanted it to be! Can't wait!

Also the comic version of the story debuted today so if you're a fan you should check it out.

Yay! I asked my LCBS to hold it when it was announced it was being made, hopefully they remembered! Love me some Gaiman! Which sounds really odd when I scream it out loud...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That Shannara show popped up on Netflix, how'd it turn out? Discount Game of Thrones?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

precision posted:

That Shannara show popped up on Netflix, how'd it turn out? Discount Game of Thrones?

Texas/Mexico Border Dollar Store Game of Thrones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's like an armature CW show.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
How's the thread for Legion? It's a good show but it's also the type that might lead to the worst of tviv threads. I've avoided it so far out of not wanting the plot solved for me a couple episodes in by over-eager-analytical goons or comic book fanatics trying to figure out how it fits in with the greater marvel universe

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What's legion on? I should probably check it out. What streaming service can I watch it on?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

savinhill posted:

How's the thread for Legion? It's a good show but it's also the type that might lead to the worst of tviv threads. I've avoided it so far out of not wanting the plot solved for me a couple episodes in by over-eager-analytical goons or comic book fanatics trying to figure out how it fits in with the greater marvel universe

It is by definition impossible to figure out a Legion story before it finishes. He's super powerful and bug gently caress crazy. Nobody *can* ruin it for you before the end, because they can go anywhere they want with the concept.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Snak posted:

What's legion on? I should probably check it out. What streaming service can I watch it on?

I believe its on Hulu, but I'm not sure. Network-wise, its FX or FXX.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Cool. It does seem to be on Hulu. That's surprising, since FX shows usually aren't.

Edit: why did no one tell me that Aubrey Plaza was in Legion! Sold. But also, it seems really good so far.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 16, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Legion is the only reason I paused before cancelling our Hulu sub.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Chance was really good, and Shut Eye was decent. Losing CW was a big hit, but I'm gonna keep if for now and see if they keep getting good original programming.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

swickles posted:

I would say its underexposed, but not underrated. Everyone I know who has seen it absolutely loves it.

Fair. So more like The Americans (despite Emmy wins) or Rectify then. But features a man in a Batman suit losing custody of his child.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hulu is worth it for me for the extensive Adult Swim back catalog. So much irreverent stuff there to randomly put on for background noise if you can't decide on something.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Legion, ep1 ~49 minutes in: Chekov's garden shears. edit: haha

Really digging this show so far. Even with what I feel like I already know from ads and chatter here, presentation is really good.

I've been watching Dark Matter. And hoky poo poo, is that a bad show. Like, It's my poo poo, a scifi series about a bunch if badasses on a spaceship, but the presentation is so bad it makes it boring. Like, the premise is good, the characters are okay, and it's just the boringest poo poo. Like, I just watched an episode where they accidentally travelled to a parallel dimension. The event itself and the characters revelation of what had happened were so boring that I stopped watching in the middle​ of the episode to go start watching Legion, a show I had literally no investment in.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 16, 2017

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Thanks for the relentless Patriot praise, I'm six episodes in and bummed I have to call it a night. I'd seen nothing on it, don't remember anything about it in the prime tv emails they spam me with, and wouldn't have loaded up Amazon until the Tick showed up. Hopefully it gets more episodes if it needs it, despite the lukewarm reviews.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Mu Zeta posted:

Spartacus showed a dude slave with cum on his face. Will it beat that?

If the scene we think is in, is in, then oh boy will it ever.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

precision posted:

It's a teen soap opera with a few interesting twists. One of the core characters is Manu Bennett doing everything as only Manu Bennett does, so he's worth watching for the first few episodes to see if its for you.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How come you guys didn't tell me about the Power Rangers marathon?!?!

precision posted:

Don't watch it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
American Crime is a great great show, you guys. It really deserves to be on cable, but it's fantastic either way.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I didn't think I'd say this when I started watching but Legion is really starting to bore me. Enough with random artsy director interludes, I'm starting to feel like they're a crutch used to cover up bad pacing and plotting.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still like Legion a heck of a lot, but it's no Fargo. Visuals and performances are fuckin incredible still, but writing and plotting isn't there as much.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hap and Leonard back for Season 2.

~woo~

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

Texas/Mexico Border Dollar Store Game of Thrones.

I like this for it, but I'm going to go with Turkish Star Wars Game of Thrones.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Does The Americans really air at 12 on Wednesday? That's such a crappy timeslot.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

Does The Americans really air at 12 on Wednesday? That's such a crappy timeslot.
That's a reair you crazy kook.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

TV Zombie posted:

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/the-americans/tv-listings/406308/

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Josh Lyman posted:

That's a reair you crazy kook.

:( My bad

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

whowhatwhere posted:

The one thing Gaiman is kind of bad at: wrapping up storylines and sex scenes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

whowhatwhere posted:

I kind of hated those scenes in the book when I read it because slamming the breaks to put in a bunch of unconnected sex scenes is just the worst and also because I know there's a nonzero chance that Neil Gaiman was getting off to at least one of them in particular, but they've become so iconic of the book that it's hard to blame Fuller for fighting to keep them in.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/16/12-monkeys-season-3-premiere-date-renewal/

Syfy has renewed 12 Monkeys for a 4th and final 10 episode season before season 3 airs.

They will also air all of season 3 over three consecutive nights. That smells of burning off the show, but they clearly want them to finish up the story if they got season 4.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bull3964 posted:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/16/12-monkeys-season-3-premiere-date-renewal/

Syfy has renewed 12 Monkeys for a 4th and final 10 episode season before season 3 airs.

They will also air all of season 3 over three consecutive nights. That smells of burning off the show, but they clearly want them to finish up the story if they got season 4.

Syfy works in mysterious ways

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I still like Legion a heck of a lot, but it's no Fargo. Visuals and performances are fuckin incredible still, but writing and plotting isn't there as much.

It's a different thing. Fargo is crime noir (well, sort of). Legion is psychedlic spiritual fugue pop art. Plotting being straight forward would go against its whole being.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's not what my post said though?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Syfy works in mysterious ways

After thinking about it, it might be very smart. Live numbers are low no matter what. By doing a 3 night thing, they can hype it as an event and possibly pull in more viewers for these timeslots during May sweeps.

The early season 4 renewal helps keep it from looking like burning off the show. Clearly someone upstairs at Syfy really likes it to allow them to finish up the story. Most assumed Season 3 will be the last.

The real question is, did the show creators know well enough in advance? They have a little bit of time to reshoot a few things if they need to, but the season should be mostly in the can at this point. Hopefully it wasn't written as the last or else season 4 will feel tacked on.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 16, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

After thinking about it, it might be very smart. Live numbers are low no matter what. By doing a 3 night thing, they can hype it as an event and possibly pull in more viewers for these timeslots during May sweeps.

I wonder if we'll start seeing Netflix style binge-style airings like this more often. It's an interesting idea.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IRQ posted:

I wonder if we'll start seeing Netflix style binge-style airings like this more often. It's an interesting idea.

Yeah, its cool but ALSO perfectly illustrates why streaming is so much better. If people like streaming because they just _cannot_ find an hour a week during prime-time to watch things first-run it's not going to get any better if you make it a 3 hour chunk. You still need to time shift things otherwise you've now got a 3 hour chunk of content that is really annoying to switch to half way through, it's not like you're tuning in halfway through a rerun of CON Air and you just keep watching because fuckit, you've seen it a thousand times.

This is first-run content in binge format at a time they set that you can't restart if you find it half way through. It's a weird one step forward 2 steps back thing. But at least they're trying.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I really liked Sepinwall's piece defending the TV episode this week. It points to why I think generally most streaming shows have sort of failed. The adherence to 'Oh we're telling one story' really makes a lot of these shows more of a slog than they need to be. I would've thought that the binge model would allow more room for experimentation, not less.

Also: gently caress those people who edited BREAKING BAD into a two hour 'movie'.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bring back old gbs posted:

Yeah, its cool but ALSO perfectly illustrates why streaming is so much better. If people like streaming because they just _cannot_ find an hour a week during prime-time to watch things first-run it's not going to get any better if you make it a 3 hour chunk. You still need to time shift things otherwise you've now got a 3 hour chunk of content that is really annoying to switch to half way through, it's not like you're tuning in halfway through a rerun of CON Air and you just keep watching because fuckit, you've seen it a thousand times.

This is first-run content in binge format at a time they set that you can't restart if you find it half way through. It's a weird one step forward 2 steps back thing. But at least they're trying.

I was presuming time-shifting was expected. I mean how many people don't have that option at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Okay... Taxes done, midterm done, time to get drunk af and watch my stories!

I organize them by how drunk I want to be while watching them. The plan tonight is to watch Legion until I am at the sweet spot and then watch last night's The Expanse, after which I will be drunk enough to watch last night's The 100.

• Locked thread