Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
You guys just wish your teams had rivalries as intense as the Tampa/Florida rivalry. Do your rivalries even have trophies?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor%27s_Cup_(Florida)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That actually owns and I think every state should have a trophy that all professional teams in that state compete for.. whoever has the best regular season (by percentage of wins) in a calendar year gets the trophy. Winning a championship is the golden snitch.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Spring Break My Heart posted:

What a worthless post.

Your subsequent posts, that had content, were good. This post, however, was not. Please put more effort into your posting, like you did in your subsequent, good posts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

I think it would be cool if the NHL moved towards an NBA-style of rivalry where it's dudes competing with each other to try to be the best there ever was, and the really meaty stuff coming from the friendships that fall apart in pursuit of this*. unfortunately a lot of this hinges on the players having personalities and it would take fiddy years to get us there with hockey, plus it's easier for that to develop in a game with shorter rosters. I guess really that this is a bad idea that is ill suited for the NHL, however it's a cool dream world I am imagining where my sport is popular. we get a bit of it with Crosby but that's about it as far as I can think

*extremely casual NBA viewer

This is happening right now.

For example, though they are offseason friends, scruff bearded robot Sidney Crosby is trying to prove he's better than Brad Marchand, who carried him through the World Cup.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

iospace posted:

Would you rather go to a game against the Senators or would you rather go to a game against the Sharks, assuming everything else is the same?

Definitely the Sharks. If I was a Rags or Isles fan I wouldn't like the Devils. Not because of some sort of rivalry; but because the loving Devils are boring as gently caress to watch. I don't care who the team is playing as long as the game is fun to watch. The only possible rivalries that are ever worth it come from two teams being both really good and being evenly matched. Forced rivalries by location are always disappointing because generally one team is better than the other.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Aphrodite posted:

When I think coaches who will bench bad defensemen for good ones, I certainly think of Claude Julien.

I gotta say, it is sill super weird as hell to see all the habs poo poo on the wall behind him when he's doing his post game pressers and what not.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

This is happening right now.

For example, though they are offseason friends, scruff bearded robot Sidney Crosby is trying to prove he's better than Brad Marchand, who carried him through the World Cup.

umm wrong, it was when he and MacKinnon were trying to see who could be the better Tim Horton's drive-thru jockey.

Zodijackylite posted:

There are no more rivalries anymore because Habs fans hate Emelin more than Kreider.

Feel free to trade for him to make the dream a reality! :v:

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Stretch Marx posted:

Definitely the Sharks. If I was a Rags or Isles fan I wouldn't like the Devils. Not because of some sort of rivalry; but because the loving Devils are boring as gently caress to watch. I don't care who the team is playing as long as the game is fun to watch. The only possible rivalries that are ever worth it come from two teams being both really good and being evenly matched. Forced rivalries by location are always disappointing because generally one team is better than the other.

I hate watching games against the Wild cause they're pretty boring overall but I love games against the Blues cause the teams clearly hate each and poo poo normally goes down when they face the Jets

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

THat just happened. :stare:

The flyers looked competent for 3 periods.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

A Typical Goon posted:

the teams clearly hate each and poo poo normally goes down when they face the Jets

I feel like this could be applied to a lot of teams who play the Jets.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

THat just happened. :stare:

The flyers looked competent for 3 periods.

They used up their competence for the rest of the year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

They used up their competence for the rest of the year.

Probably, but at this point holy poo poo that is honest to god the first time in all of 2017.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Not to rain on your parade, but even the 2017 Flyers shouldn't have a problem beating the current Pens roster. If MAF had played it would have been at least 7-0

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Not to rain on your parade, but even the 2017 Flyers shouldn't have a problem beating the current Pens roster. If MAF had played it would have been at least 7-0

I mean come on. Sid played 20:59. Malkin played 17:24. Kessel played 14:39. They were a combined 0-0-0 -5 with 5 SOG.

I get that the defence is a tire fire, but if I am able to eat the fact that Carey "I am still the best player the Habs have had in over a decade" Price had a rough month in February, I think you can eat that your superstars had a bad game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Our team only has 2 hall of famers and an all star right now.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Fire Holland yesterday

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Flyers - Penguins was a legit rivalry for the last few years, kind fizzled last year and this year between the Flyers getting bad and players getting traded. I wouldn't compare it to Wings and Aves in the 90s, but it was legit better than average games for sure.

Plus on a fans perspective there are always teams that can be more exciting than normal. Growing up I hated the Devils and Rangers, but those were the games to watch. I lived in Nashville about 6 years ago, and the Preds game Wings games at that time were great because the Wings knocked out the Preds multiple times in a short time frame so everyone hated the red wings.

Also, I can't put into words how happy I am that the Red Wings are finally. It making the playoffs. Something I have been rooting for since 97.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

That and they just came back from a road trip in Western Canada

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
muuhahahahahah let chaos reign eternal

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Our team only has 2 hall of famers and an all star right now.

I dont remember Hawks or Bruins fans being like this after their Cup wins. Hockey died both years LA won so I dont know if Kings fans were like that.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Schlesische posted:

I mean come on. Sid played 20:59. Malkin played 17:24. Kessel played 14:39. They were a combined 0-0-0 -5 with 5 SOG.

I get that the defence is a tire fire, but if I am able to eat the fact that Carey "I am still the best player the Habs have had in over a decade" Price had a rough month in February, I think you can eat that your superstars had a bad game.

I thought Crosby had a very solid game. Malkin and Kessel could have been better but didn't look outright bad to me. I just have zero expectations for a Pens team missing Letang, Daley, Maatta, and for the 3rd period having only 5D with Hainsey out. Let alone the injured forwards.

I'm not complaining though, they've still found a way to win a bunch of games despite the injuries, largely propelled by Crosby and Malkin.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
In other news, women's hockey:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/15/...re-iphone-share

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

lol the wings lost to Colorado

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Mike_V posted:

Actually, I think you'll find it was a good thing they lost 7-2

https://twitter.com/CoachsCornerDC/status/842000258532032512

I say this as a true blue Canadian:
Don Cherry is dumb as a bag of rocks

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Neodoomium posted:

lol the wings lost to Colorado

RWAS right now: :suicide:

Everyone else: :unsmigghh:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Kalenn Istarion posted:

That's an insult to rocks, man.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Holy poo poo we won.

AND we scored more than once?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
so far in 2017 avs are like 1-17 against the west but 7-9 against the east :shrug:

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

I usually only post during the playoffs when I try to will the Wild to not lose against the Blackhawks for the 213412312 time. This is the year I break that tradition. WE WILL DEFEAT DARTH KANE.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

:hfive:

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Duke Chin posted:

brent burns lol

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I usually only post during the playoffs when I try to will the Wild to not lose against the Blackhawks for the 213412312 time. This is the year I break that tradition. WE WILL DEFEAT DARTH KANE.

gently caress the wild.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Zodijackylite posted:

There are no more rivalries anymore because Habs fans hate Emelin more than Kreider.

gently caress CHRIS KREIDER

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Duke Chin posted:

World -> upside down

But seriously, I dislike the guy but I'd love to have him on my team :unsmith:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 16, 2017

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
just watched BOS-CGY after missing it last night and Jesus loving Christ, Khudobin is such a bad backup that it makes my eyes bleed to watch.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It's very weird to me that there are only two teams in the entire NHL with multiple 30 goal scorers. Especially since one of them is Boston.

Actually there are only 13 players in the entire league with 30+ goals

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Turdsdown Tom posted:

just watched BOS-CGY after missing it last night and Jesus loving Christ, Khudobin is such a bad backup that it makes my eyes bleed to watch.

Yeah it feels dumb to complain about a 4-2 win with an ENG on top of it, but both of those goals were real bad.

If anyone ever tries to argue +/- is a good stat show them how 5 guys on the ice got a minus for that second one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JoelJoel posted:

gently caress the wild.

What the hell is a "wild" anyways.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

xzzy posted:

What the hell is a "wild" anyways.

See that dude on the left? That's a Minnesota Wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Cool new charts!

https://twitter.com/dellowhockey/status/842245014801506304

So, about that Neuvirth extension...

• Locked thread