Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

There's a definite trend towards high speed operator worship and knowledge. Decades ago poo poo like the Army of Northern Virgina and whatnot were half rumored fever dreams, now things like The Activity and what not show up in video games.

gently caress, ISR has a goddamn wiki entry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/PissPigGranddad/status/842120027914534912

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Isn't The White Donkey by the Terminal Lance guy supposed to be pretty good? Having said that it might be a fictionalised account rather than a straight up memoir, so fits better with the "fiction" stage of the cycle.

Also I hope that PissPigGrandad's tweets count as "poetry" for the fight against Daesh.

Booblord Zagats posted:

It's like anything else, when you only have one part to your entire personality, you're going to be a loving rear end in a top hat. Don't matter if it's guns (Gun nuts), cars(Hella Flush), pets (Crazy cat lady), politics (ugghhhh) or videogames (twitch). If you're one dimensional, everyone but people exactly like you will hate you

You forgot the absolute worst and most insane people of the bunch

Horse People

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

White Donkey is awesome.

I remember reading Bravo Two Zero before I joined the Army, and during the build up I Kuwait, we were told we might be tasked with forward screening/recce operations. We had several very long, very real discussions about what to do if compromised in different scenarios, including by a child. B20 was, by that time, common knowledge, and the event's pretty well known. I still can't figure out why the hell that team had no real plan, and no real strategy to what to do in the situation.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
White Donkey owns. There's a reason why it sat at the top of the NYTimes best seller list for a while.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
http://i.imgur.com/QIFaHl0.mp4

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Dude goes beet red in an instant.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

/
til my gun isn't DAO

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The YouTube video is hilarious

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The YouTube video is hilarious

link it you monster

ed: nevermind already found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuqANKDAqxA

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Duke Chin posted:

link it you monster

ed: nevermind already found it

:stare: "Did you mean to do that?"

:downs: "Yeah!"

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
When I went shooting in vegas the range only had hot girls as instructors. It was also extremely overpriced, but I don't know anywhere else I could shoot automatic weapons (for cheap). Dumping 50 rounds in a m249 in a few seconds is pretty fun though

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
wouldve left immediately and demanded a refund, cuz holy poo poo

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

wouldve left immediately and demanded a refund, cuz holy poo poo

Same. Who gives instruction with a loaded gun?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I like how the guy on the left predicts the ND when sneaker-boy pivots around with the gun

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Copying from a thread talking about the same video:

I went to The Shooting Gallery in Orlando (right across the road from the local prison!) back in I think September 2015 to shoot some machine guns, since they're the closest place with guns to rent and they have a selection of interesting things like Thompsons and a Sten Mk. V.

First safety concern: they do not have range officers. At all. They monitor the range from security cameras, but there's nobody physically on the range to handle problems. This is a big issue because anyone who demonstrates some modicum of competence will be allowed onto the range with a fully automatic submachine gun or assault rifle and no direct supervision. Because I didn't specifically ask for help, I was allowed to walk into the range with an AKM, a Thompson, an Uzi, an MP5K, and a Sten gun (along with a variety of handguns) by myself. This isn't a huge deal for someone like myself who's an experienced shooter and has fired automatic weapons before, but you'll see groups of college kids run out with a shotgun or Colt 9mm SMG that they barely know how to point.

Second concern: awful care for their guns. I have to dig around for the picture, but the AK I fired was rusted on the inside and the trigger disconnector broke so it became permanently full auto. At one point the bolt locked back and I thought I was empty, until I remembered that the bolt doesn't lock back on AKs. When I finished the last magazine, the bolt was stuck forward on an empty chamber and the fire selector was incapable of being pushed up further than the middle position.

The Uzi had a broken ejector (which they freely admitted to), so you needed to fire in short bursts and tilt slightly to the right to guarantee proper ejection. The Sten would mysteriously stop firing mid-burst for no apparent reason; it would function once you released the trigger and pulled again, but there was no telling how long you could fire before it would stop. The Ruger Vaquero had its detents for rotating the cylinder very slightly off from the loading gate, so you needed to hold the cylinder in the right position to eject casings and load new rounds.

They also had no idea how the magazine loader for the Sten worked. They had one, but never learned how to use it. I had to puzzle over it with the manager at the counter to figure it out.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

The Ruger Vaquero had its detents for rotating the cylinder very slightly off from the loading gate, so you needed to hold the cylinder in the right position to eject casings and load new rounds.

How in the poo poo :psyduck:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Capn Beeb posted:

How in the poo poo :psyduck:

I have video on my computer. I needed to use my fingers to hold the cylinder in the right spot while holding the gun because otherwise I couldn't eject casings.

CATM93
Apr 4, 2012
Believe it or not, we had to qualify students in Alaska with .44 Magnum Smith & Wessons and Ruger Blackhawks. ParaRescue up there carried them in case a bear was munching on the person they were sent in to rescue. I think it would of been easier to mount an M-60 on the helicopter and dump a belt on the bear, but I think they thought it would of been politically incorrect. You ought to see a class of students firing a .44 Magnum out of prone position for the first time on an indoor range. Anyone need a bandaid?

CATM93 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 16, 2017

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Lighting up a bear using a Blackhawk-mounted minigun is pretty loving metal.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

cowboy elvis posted:

Lighting up a bear using a Blackhawk-mounted minigun is pretty loving metal.

Yeah

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

Copying from a thread talking about the same video:
Jesus Christ.

There's an indoor range near where I used to live in Austin. One time someone in an adjacent stall swept me with a handgun while she had her finger on the trigger. (I put my gun down and backed away.) Another time, someone started loading an AR with the barrel pointed at the concrete floor in the middle of the drat room and was about to rack it when the safety officer told him not to, pointing to a mark on the ground where someone had accidentally fired their gun and sent a round ricocheting.

I don't like indoor ranges. And I don't like other people with guns. I like outdoor ranges in the country where there are few people, and where the rifles sit on tables pointed forward.

Only downside to rural ranges is that hospitals are farther away but

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 16, 2017

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

I have video on my computer. I needed to use my fingers to hold the cylinder in the right spot while holding the gun because otherwise I couldn't eject casings.

That sounds like a shot cylinder bolt, which is a pretty easy repair, but holy moly that's something alright

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm not crazy about indoor ranges, for about a dozen reasons. One great thing (there aren't many) about my current location is that drat near everything out here is BLM land. As long as I'm away from a paved road and can find a decent backstop, I can shoot drat near anywhere I want. I've got a couple of good spots about 10 minutes from my house. Just built a target stand this weekend, and a case of 9mm to practice. :)

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Some dumbass shot himself in the leg while he was in the parking lot of my local indoor range yesterday while he was with his three grandkids lmao

http://journalstar.com/news/local/911/man-accidentally-shoots-self-in-leg/article_335cc709-3962-5876-8b04-e437d1152e40.html

Hope the kids' ears are ok.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

WW3 would be horrible overall but will definitely have its moments

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
And that moment would invariable come right before you were vaporized by nuclear fire.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Coming under counterbattery fire would be exciting in a way for however long it took to be vaporized by DPICM. Those reports from Ukraine are pretty loving metal and that's just a preview of what would go down.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

if someone flags you at a range with a loaded gun you should legally be allowed to kill them in self defense.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah echoing that I too, hate indoor ranges and prefer shooting outdoors. Kinda hard though as I live in the DC area, so pretty much any place to shoot at within an hours driving distance that isn't members only is indoors.

There's one place next to Andrew's AFB that I went to once, and ended up leaving before even entering the range. Mostly due to watching 1)guy with a stovepipe jam flagging it around asking for help, 2) multiple flagging incidents, 3)no RSO, 4) the ultimate deal breaker, a guy loading a glock, while aiming it towards the back viewing window.

Also, there's a range I go to in Philly every once in awhile that's indoor that looks decrepit as poo poo but is actually awesome. Clientele seems like it's mostly cops and older guys who aren't inherently retarded. Went for a bachelor party and they were super good about dividing up experienced shooters and people who had never shot before so that it wasn't an issue.

Reverand maynard posted:

if someone flags you at a range with a loaded gun you should legally be allowed to kill them in self defense.

Or at the very least, this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu51rszgotI

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Frosted Flake posted:

Coming under counterbattery fire would be exciting in a way for however long it took to be vaporized by DPICM. Those reports from Ukraine are pretty loving metal and that's just a preview of what would go down.

Wouldn't this more likely be dumb boring MLRS? Or equivalent?

CATM93
Apr 4, 2012
I spent twenty plus years in as a "Red Hat" (Combat Arms Superintendent AFSC 75399. Trust me, you are not safe from students on outdoor ranges either. Especially during the 1970's when you had a bunch of recreational drug users in the service (LSD flashback anyone?))

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah echoing that I too, hate indoor ranges and prefer shooting outdoors. Kinda hard though as I live in the DC area, so pretty much any place to shoot at within an hours driving distance that isn't members only is indoors.

There's one place next to Andrew's AFB that I went to once, and ended up leaving before even entering the range. Mostly due to watching 1)guy with a stovepipe jam flagging it around asking for help, 2) multiple flagging incidents, 3)no RSO, 4) the ultimate deal breaker, a guy loading a glock, while aiming it towards the back viewing window.

Also, there's a range I go to in Philly every once in awhile that's indoor that looks decrepit as poo poo but is actually awesome. Clientele seems like it's mostly cops and older guys who aren't inherently retarded. Went for a bachelor party and they were super good about dividing up experienced shooters and people who had never shot before so that it wasn't an issue.

Or at the very least, this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu51rszgotI

Oh hey, you must have went to Maryland Small Arms. That place offered a groupon a few years back, and I went with some friends, so much muzzle sweeping and other unsafe poo poo abounded. I prefer to go to Silver Eagle Group out by IAD instead- the RSOs are very competent and know what they're doing.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Zeris posted:

Wouldn't this more likely be dumb boring MLRS? Or equivalent?

Can I tell you about how fast we can respond to this with 155's and firefinders or is the opsec nanny gonna throw a shitfit? Because we can respond to bracketing in less time than it takes to bracket.

Here's a nearly 14 year old picture.

gently caress mopp gear.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 17, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/nafisehkBBC/status/841972822184493056

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

suboptimal posted:

Oh hey, you must have went to Maryland Small Arms. That place offered a groupon a few years back, and I went with some friends, so much muzzle sweeping and other unsafe poo poo abounded. I prefer to go to Silver Eagle Group out by IAD instead- the RSOs are very competent and know what they're doing.

haha, yeah that was the place.

I might have been to that other one by IAD. It was either that or Blue Ridge Arsenal. Either way, the RSO's there were competent and it felt like they weren't letting idiots on the range.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I shot in a charity sporting clays competition recently. Mostly everyone was a hunter of some kind or an actual competition shooter and generally smart with guns, but being a charity, there is literally no hurdle to shoot other than come up with $1800 and a shotgun and sign a release. So there were quite a few idiots in the woods that day.

One guy was about 80, a very well-respected rich lawyer whose firm probably donated $10,000 to the event. But he had no idea how to use a shotgun, much less the semi-automatic he was using. Needed to be shown how to load it at each station, accidentally shooting before the birds were thrown, recoil swinging the gun around out of control, loading the gun before it was his turn to shoot and muzzle sweeping the trap operators who are looking away from him because it's not his turn. We made sure to always stand well behind this guy.

To quote one of the guys I was with "hope he's a better lawyer than a shooter"

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Handsome Ralph posted:

haha, yeah that was the place.

I might have been to that other one by IAD. It was either that or Blue Ridge Arsenal. Either way, the RSO's there were competent and it felt like they weren't letting idiots on the range.

At first I thought you were talking about Blue Ridge. Last time I went, there were some guys in the lane next to me were pointing their poo poo everywhere but downrange, and the RSO did nothing about it. It didn't take long for them to SHOOT OUT LIGHTS IN THE CEILING, showering glass all over the place. The RSO comes up to me and was like "Was that you???" ... I give him a sideways look, and then motion in the direction of the three dudes now taking selfies with the shotgun in question. He basically went "meh ok" and walked away. Didn't say a loving word to them. Welp, time to pack up never coming back here again. I've been told they have since redone the place, but I have not been.

SEG is nice, but $$$.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Oh...well I'm never going there again either. Jesus Christ :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Untagged posted:

At first I thought you were talking about Blue Ridge. Last time I went, there were some guys in the lane next to me were pointing their poo poo everywhere but downrange, and the RSO did nothing about it. It didn't take long for them to SHOOT OUT LIGHTS IN THE CEILING, showering glass all over the place. The RSO comes up to me and was like "Was that you???" ... I give him a sideways look, and then motion in the direction of the three dudes now taking selfies with the shotgun in question. He basically went "meh ok" and walked away. Didn't say a loving word to them. Welp, time to pack up never coming back here again. I've been told they have since redone the place, but I have not been.

SEG is nice, but $$$.

I always feel a little bad not going back to The Shooting Gallery, because they have some stuff that just isn't easy to find in Florida. Like a Sten Mk. V, the kind with wooden furniture and a vertical foregrip. Other than the malfunctioning, it's a great and easy SMG to shoot, probably one of the most comfortable of World War II.

But every time I think about going, I also think of getting my head blown off through the booth partitions because some group of rear end in a top hat UCF students decide to go shoot machine guns for fun and ND an assault rifle.