Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Arzachel posted:

I don't think Ryzen hexa and octa cores are worth it for gaming until they figure out how to keep critical tasks from migrating between the clusters.

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/956-24/retour-sous-systeme-memoire-suite.html

You can do that manually with a programme like Process Lasso. If what SwissArmyDruid says is true, though, that the 6-cores will have one core disabled from each CCX, that's a disappointment. 2 enabled on one, 4 on the other would be perfect, because you could assign Windows processes to 2 on the same die, and then have all your other tasks running free on one quad core CCX, avoiding that problem of migrating between them.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

https://www.io-tech.fi/uutinen/6-ytiminen-ryzen-prosessori-teknisesti-mahdollista-toteuttaa/

That's the layout these guys said their sources said AMD was looking at.

quote:

We have confirmed from our sources that AMD’s upcoming Ryzen processor can be technically configured as 6-core model. It is possible to disable each CPU core separately together with dedicated L2 cache from CCX without affecting shared L3 cache. Possible L3 cache configurations are 1/1 (8 MB), 1/2 (4 MB) or completely disabled. Basic rule is that both CCXs should have similar CPU core and L3 configuration for example both should have 3 cores and full 8 MB L3 cache enabled (6C & 16 MB L3).
We believe AMD will launch 6-core model of Ryzen CPU. If they don’t, it will be due other reasons than technical limitation of CCX.

Which means that 4-core Ryzens are likely to be 2 + 2, and not "all on one CCX" parts.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 15, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

http://fudzilla.com/news/processors/43118-samsung-ramping-up-to-7nm-next-year

Holy poo poo you guys I was loving kidding.

I mean, yeah, vertical GAA makes the most sense for Samsung, they already have massive amounts of experience with vertical transistors already with V-NAND, this is basically a logical extension of the tech. AMD chips on a GAA process could be _mighty interesting_, now that the WSA lets them go to Samsung for some production. And that's assuming that GloFo doesn't license future nodes from Samsung too.

ha, that's exactly what I thought the next step would be

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is the separate l2 cache going to cause problems with more highly threaded games, going forwards?

I don't really see how it can't.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Depends on how those threads are scheduled. The grim future is one in which game developers hard core affinity.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://www.io-tech.fi/uutinen/6-ytiminen-ryzen-prosessori-teknisesti-mahdollista-toteuttaa/

That's the layout these guys said their sources said AMD was looking at.

Which means that 4-core Ryzens are likely to be 2 + 2, and not "all on one CCX" parts.

Obviously. They are gonna die harvest the 2 ccx non apu core to make these

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Why is the 1600 a 95W part and the 1700 65W? 'lol AMD TDPs' notwithstanding.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Malcolm XML posted:

Obviously. They are gonna die harvest the 2 ccx non apu core to make these

They could die harvest four good cores all in the same CCX, though.

Eliminates switching problems, at the expense of smaller total cache.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

dont be mean to me posted:

1600X is a salvaged high leak binned 8 core, with two cores not working or disabled. It is clocked at the same frequency as the 1800X.
1700 is a low leak binned 8 core, that is clocked much closer to the most efficient state for the architecture (which is a high IPC low clock/TDP design pushed to all market segments).

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

ha, that's exactly what I thought the next step would be

Yeah but lol at this quote:

quote:

Samsung will also use extreme ultraviolet (EUV) lithography once it achieves a breakthrough in the technology, Kang added.
just awaiting a breakthrough, nbd

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Yeah but lol at this quote:

just awaiting a breakthrough, nbd

:facepalm: oh wow

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Ryzen-Locking-Certain-FMA3-Workloads

Saved you a click: Ryzen hardlocking on certain FMA3 workloads, a BIOS fix is on the way.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Saved you a click: Ryzen hardlocking on certain FMA3 workloads, a BIOS fix is on the way.

quote:

This may come at a cost through lower burst speeds to keep TDP within their stated envelope.

LOL good one.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Phenom III: TLB harder

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

AMD CPU and Platform Discussion: BIOS BIAS

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Platfrom

It's platfrom god dammit

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

dont be mean to me posted:

The voltage to break 3.7 stable is pretty large. I go from 3.7 @ 1.1875 vs 3.8 @1.25

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wqHz5J4S7tHM5CJKB1zyh8qI52pTEywKws9PcVro2cc/edit

http://valid.x86.fr/1410hw

http://valid.x86.fr/nggw3f

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 16, 2017

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I was excited about possibly getting a R5-1600X, but reading above, it sounds like it might be a crippled chip?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SourKraut posted:

I was excited about possibly getting a R5-1600X, but reading above, it sounds like it might be a crippled chip?

Not really, it's just people were hoping for a chip with a 4/2 CCX split instead of a 3/3 one, this is because passing threads between the CCXes is much slower than within CCXes. If you are doing workloads that will benefit from the extra threads the chip should still be very good at that and while still behind Intel's offerings in gaming it should be a decent chip for that too. Ryzen is really a nice chip for mixed workloads, but if you are just gaming Intel is still going to be the better choice for now.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

16MB L3, 6c, 65W for $220?

Jesus, sign me the gently caress up. I'm digging how the r5 line is mostly keeping the fuckoff-huge l3 cache.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

16MB L3, 6c, 65W for $220?

Jesus, sign me the gently caress up. I'm digging how the r5 line is mostly keeping the fuckoff-huge l3 cache.

Yeah, this parts are much more competitive, and like you said, loving the huge cache. That said, they still need actual clock increases over the 8-core parts, but it seems like their process just won't allow them. Hm. Once they get these 6-core parts to 4.5GHz or so, there's pretty much nothing holding them back.

vv It is, I'm just saying that a lot of people will still shy away for gaming reasons because the single-thread performance still isn't up there due to the slightly low clocks.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 16, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Goflo iteration may get us there, who knows. I can only look at the present, and that poo poo is sexy

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Yeah, the later stepping of these same dies should help them find a couple hundred more MHz. I wouldn't expect anything game-changing but for launch silicon this is pretty great, especially at 65W.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

HalloKitty posted:

That said, they still need actual clock increases over the 8-core parts, but it seems like their process just won't allow them.

Called it :v:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Truga posted:

Called it :v:

Who cares, pricing is great, 12 threads at at least 3GHz for $219.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, it's absolutely great, I was expecting 6 threads much closer to $300.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Don't care about a 4 GHz wall with mobile parts and to a lesser extent, servers, but I worry the APUs will bring last-gen perf to throw down with Cannonlake, when ideally it should be Zen+ or Zen 2 or whatever the hell.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Don't care about a 4 GHz wall with mobile parts

That's very true, now we just need some OEMs to make AMD laptops that aren't absolute poo poo in every other respect.

eames
May 9, 2009

Doesn't Zen L2 cache always run at full clock speed? I wonder if that is part of the reason why it won't go far past 4.0-4.1 Ghz.

AFAIK Kaby Lake L2 cache frequency (uncore) also tops out around there but it's on an independent multiplier.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

That's very true, now we just need some OEMs to make AMD laptops that aren't absolute poo poo in every other respect.

If ryzen is any good with mobile parts they probably will. The only people buying AMD laptops currently are idiots who can't evaluate what is good/bad for a computer so naturally you're going to make a poo poo laptop with the current poo poo processors. You're fleecing them already by selling them a bulldozer laptop, you might as well fleece them on every other part.

If it is an actually good processor, its worth targeting people who know what makes a laptop good when using the processor.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

HalloKitty posted:

Those impressive 30-35W Cinebench results The Stilt posted have me optimistic.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Aren't AMD laptops, if you can get one with the best APU offering AMD offers, better GPU wise then say a midrange Intel with a 620 or whatever the low end iGPU is for those?

Sure the CPU is going to suck, but if you just wanted a basic media consumption device, is AMD really that bad currently in the laptop realm if you aren't buying a i5+?

*Have not done any research because all I have been looking at are 1070-1080GPU powered laptops for replacement of my old i7-720QM-5870M beast...

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I'm talking about build quality, tiny batteries, poor low res screens, etc. Carrizo is an already existing reasonable AMD solution, but try finding anything that has a build that's on par with the best Intel laptops..

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
AMD is absolutely better for basic media consumption and browsing or whatnot at same price points.

The problem is, the kind of laptop OEMs put AMDs in will fall apart after 6-12 months.

e;fb

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, this parts are much more competitive, and like you said, loving the huge cache. That said, they still need actual clock increases over the 8-core parts, but it seems like their process just won't allow them. Hm. Once they get these 6-core parts to 4.5GHz or so, there's pretty much nothing holding them back.

vv It is, I'm just saying that a lot of people will still shy away for gaming reasons because the single-thread performance still isn't up there due to the slightly low clocks.

If I'm not doing serious gaming but occasionally playing games, I'd imagine it's still fine? Just not "THE BEST IT COULD BE PLAYED"?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

So for most people except those trying to squeeze out every single last FPS, the 1600 is going to become the best value CPU right? With cooler included it's a pretty solid proposition.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
They need to fix memory compatibility with their controller. Can they patch this with microcode or a bios update? As is it will create a problem when the more numerous R5 users can't get over 2400 with their 3000+ dual rank kits they already have.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Truga posted:

AMD is absolutely better for basic media consumption and browsing or whatnot at same price points.

The problem is, the kind of laptop OEMs put AMDs in will fall apart after 6-12 months.

e;fb

You are right about a lot of crap laptops, though if you sift through enough of them, there are at least a few that have 1080P screens and aren't made of the cheapest plastic you might find on a low end Acer or something.

Asus made one...

Still pretty sad but bang for the buck its not terrible. Though hopefully if mobile Zen becomes a thing then the OEM's might take notice. Only time will tell currently as the iron out all the bugs and chips get made.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

EdEddnEddy posted:

You are right about a lot of crap laptops, though if you sift through enough of them, there are at least a few that have 1080P screens and aren't made of the cheapest plastic you might find on a low end Acer or something.

Asus made one...

Still pretty sad but bang for the buck its not terrible. Though hopefully if mobile Zen becomes a thing then the OEM's might take notice. Only time will tell currently as the iron out all the bugs and chips get made.

I hope someone sticks an 8 core chip in a laptop. Would be nice to have a semi-portable workstation, even if it gets as bulky as some of those gaming laptops with dual 1080s inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

lol still no gaming benchmarks on anandtech 2 weeks out. Sure hope someone at least got a nice beach house from that agreement!

• Locked thread