Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

its a little tedious at the start when you have 3 hearts and no access to like, healing pots/milk etc. but after the first dungeon it really picks up and feels right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My power is out, but I can still play Breath of the Wild on my Switch. Thank you Nintendo...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Evil Eagle posted:

My power is out, but I can still play Breath of the Wild on my Switch. Thank you Nintendo...

🙏🙏🙏

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Cool thing I just discovered that other people probably found out ages ago but if you're venturing somewhere cold and don't wanna sacrifice armor for cold resistance or don't have any food to eat, just strap a fire sword or fire rod to your back and it'll warm you up just the same.

I mean, it makes perfect sense, but it's kinda crazy that it's an actual strategy that works.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Bill Barber posted:

Cool thing I just discovered that other people probably found out ages ago but if you're venturing somewhere cold and don't wanna sacrifice armor for cold resistance or don't have any food to eat, just strap a fire sword or fire rod to your back and it'll warm you up just the same.

I mean, it makes perfect sense, but it's kinda crazy that it's an actual strategy that works.

I figured this out too. I also thawed out a whole shrine by standing next to it with a fire spear for 20 minutes

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
yeah in the tutorial part i just carried a lit torch and then early on found a flame sword that i just use for heat/lighting fires/emergency cooking

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Some places require 2 levels of cold resistance so you have to double up in some manner but yeah having any source of fire counts as one level which is very clever.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think i'm getting to the point where i want to pursue the endgame, but it's loving mind boggling that i've put this much time into the game and i still haven't hit two of the regional towers (which are substantial portions of the map). i literally have no idea where the one is for the snowy region in the north west.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lol if you throw a skeletal lizalfos arm it works like a boomerang

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
also, i found a late-game enemy variant that made me laugh out loud. it's in the gerudo highlands. octorock mimic disguised as a chest. i used magnesis on it to try and dig it up, but couldn't target it, and realized what was up like a split second before the octorock burst out of the ground and nailed me with a snowball.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

That 4th great fairy cost :stare:

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Finally beat the 4th dungeon last night. Can definitively say the best dungeon skill is the Ruto leap super handy and surprisingly short cooldown.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

How do I get 600 rubees for the dress

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I sell the gems and luminous stones. I try to keep at least 3 of each gem and I had been blowing all the luminous stones but I just found a use for those in the gerudo town.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

tao of lmao posted:

I sell the gems and luminous stones. I try to keep at least 3 of each gem and I had been blowing all the luminous stones but I just found a use for those in the gerudo town.

there's a reason to hold onto at least 10 of each that starts showing up in Goron City once you beat the Gerudo boss

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

If it's just replacing the weapons, I'd rather have the money. Gems are easy enough to acquire if I ever need em.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

i cook 5 of something that i have extra of, and sell that. a 5x prime meat dish sells for 210, 5x cheap meat 120, 5x fruit or mushrooms for 50

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

The world minibosses (talos?), the giant rock guys, drop tons of gems. I just farm the spots I know they are after blood moons.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

omg the worldbosses in the gerudo desert. i love this game so fuckn much

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

My first Hinox fight was easily the coolest open world boss fight I've ever had.

I didn't know how much HP they had and so I managed to burn through every single weapon I had, but it was so close to dead that I ran in, stole a claymore off its necklace, and threw it through its eye to kill it. I definitely threw my hands in the air sitting on my couch

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

using stasis on horseback enemies is so funny

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

HolePisser1982 posted:

using stasis on horseback enemies is so funny

holy poo poo

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I froze a horse then took a selfie with it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Bill Barber posted:

rediscover posted:

I figured this out too. I also thawed out a whole shrine by standing next to it with a fire spear for 20 minutes

lmao god dammit

it's like i have to turn off the Video Game Logic part of my brain and use Regular rear end Logic instead

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Are there lots of cool physics tricks with bombs?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

wave a leaf at them

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

dragon enthusiast posted:

I froze a horse then took a selfie with it

dark link

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Are there lots of cool physics tricks with bombs?

Oh yes.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

tao of lmao posted:

The world minibosses (talos?), the giant rock guys, drop tons of gems. I just farm the spots I know they are after blood moons.

yeah, this. also, high up in the mountains the small ones become a common enemy. running around a seemingly empty plateau out in the hinterlands can get you like 10 topazes and 5 or 6 miscellaneous, more valuable gems as well.

also you'll always have more than enough of the common monster parts for upgrades, so selling down your stacks of those is a good way to make money.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the hammer you get from the monster shop might seem meh, but it's actually great for killing skeletons at night, since it has (as far as I can tell) infinite durability and the bone guys still only take 1 hit to kill

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

GameCube posted:

lmao god dammit

it's like i have to turn off the Video Game Logic part of my brain and use Regular rear end Logic instead

I got a horse and I was explaining how you have to press L at the right times to tame it. wife tells me to just feed it an apple, and it works.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the hammer you get from the monster shop might seem meh, but it's actually great for killing skeletons at night, since it has (as far as I can tell) infinite durability and the bone guys still only take 1 hit to kill
I was assuming/hoping it would have infinite durability, but was worried since it was still a relatively low cost. Either way, it seems like it could turn out to be an incredibly useful/fun weapon to use.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

P-Mack posted:

I got a horse and I was explaining how you have to press L at the right times to tame it. wife tells me to just feed it an apple, and it works.

i've been feeding dogs because it's the right thing to do and i never thought to try it on horses :tviv:

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

P-Mack posted:

lmao genius

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i found out about feeding animals treats because i was in a pitched battle with some bokoblins, and had my horse off to the side (i'm terrible at mounted combat) and accidentally smacked it with a sword while fighting, so it ran off. i whistled it back after the fight, and it came up to me and started eating an apple on the ground that had fallen off a tree that i chopped down in the middle of the battle.

The Milkman posted:

i've been feeding dogs because it's the right thing to do and i never thought to try it on horses :tviv:

one of the loading screen tooltips says that if you befriend certain dogs they'll lead you to treasure, but i haven't seen it happen yet.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

It's so weird talking about this game to someone who hasn't played it being like "and there's weapon durabili--no, no it's actually kind of cool and impacts the game in a meaningful way and is in no way as much of a pain as you're thinking"

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

you climb towers to reveal th map aand it's somehow both cool and interestng

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
"fast travel, but done right"
"a crafting system that isn't rear end"
"the stealth sections are actually fun"

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

"the stealth sections are actually fun"

well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I wouldn't say they're fun necessarily but they're fairly short and easy so they don't get in the way too much

• Locked thread