Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Wasabi the J posted:

Do not watch or listen to this footage.

I legitimately have nightmares from the screams, to this day; I watched this years ago.

Well sure, don't click thinking it's MLP or anything. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Combustible construction is dumb. I know wood is cheap and renewable and newer wooden buildings are built to better fire codes but old wood buildings are fire death traps.

Flashovers specifically I think are mostly caused by the furnishings. As they get heated by the fire they release volatile organic compounds, which are flammable gasses. The concentration builds up in enclosed rooms, until a tipping point is reached (fire gets hot enough, a window breaks and lets fresh oxygen in, something) and suddenly everything explodes.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Wasabi the J posted:

I legitimately have nightmares from the screams, to this day; I watched this years ago.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Loucks posted:

Well sure, don't click thinking it's MLP or anything. :v:

Hey I'm serious -- I have seen my fair share of awful moments on tape, including recordings of death and catastrophes.

This video is so visceral that it caught me completely by surprise. No amount of analysis or curiosity kept me watching that tape; it was shock that creepy in after a few brief moments after the fire starts. I didn't notice the screams until they were gone. People wandering around so close you could see their eyes wide open, their skin and clothing still smoking.

I urge people not to watch that film. It isn't a spectacle you can distance yourself from, and there's nothing new to learn. It is a recording of dozens of people dying in sheer terror and agony, and dozens of others helpless to do anything about it.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Recently my workplace held active shooter training taught by a cop who was one of the first responders to the Virginia Tech shooting. The "training" consisted of audio clips like the Columbine 911 call and video clips like the Station club fire, the Tech shooting personal stories, and the school board shooting that happened in the Midwest I think. I had to leave the training early because I couldn't sit there any longer and ended up missing two shifts at work due to PTSD. Turns out it's not a good thing to spring unexpectedly on people, including adult survivors of childhood abuse.

It's also coming up on the ten-year anniversary of the Tech shooting.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

queserasera posted:

Recently my workplace held active shooter training taught by a cop who was one of the first responders to the Virginia Tech shooting. The "training" consisted of audio clips like the Columbine 911 call and video clips like the Station club fire, the Tech shooting personal stories, and the school board shooting that happened in the Midwest I think. I had to leave the training early because I couldn't sit there any longer and ended up missing two shifts at work due to PTSD. Turns out it's not a good thing to spring unexpectedly on people, including adult survivors of childhood abuse.

Isn't that kind of the point though? You need to be desensitized to the point where you don't just freeze or panic when you start hearing shots fired.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Glazier posted:

Isn't that kind of the point though? You need to be desensitized to the point where you don't just freeze or panic when you start hearing shots fired.

I think learning how to respond in relation to your workplace, kind like what Rick Rescorla did for the Morgan Stanley employees in the World Trade Center, is more effective than traumatizing a roomful of people and calling it training.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
There's also the NYC 23rd Street Fire from 1966, which I think is the worst non-industrial building fire in US history, in terms of firefighter casualties. A fire broke out at a brownstone, cause unknown, and intense enough that the main entrance was unusable. The fire crews tried to get at it by going in through the druggist next door.

It turned out the cause of the fire was an art dealership in the building storing a poo poo ton of flammable painting supplies in the basement. Also the basement was common with the building next door, and they'd recently knocked out a dividing wall to extend the art dealer's storage space, so the main body of the fire was actually directly under the druggist. Oh, and that wall they'd knocked out? It was load-bearing. A huge part of the floor gave way and dropped 10 firefighters directly into a burning basement, while a flashover burst through the hole and killed another two.

There's not much recent media coverage outside of brief '_th Anniversary of Fire' pieces - the best write-up I could find dates from 1976.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Tiny sliver of hope. At the start when there is a crush of people at the doors, some of the folks outside are working together in teams to pull people out. Maybe humanity isn't doomed.

Edit: Nope. Crushing horror and despair.

LeJackal has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Mar 15, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Alereon posted:

Huh, so it turns out the US has one of the worst fire death rates in the industrialized world, and it's currently over twice that of the UK, where wood construction is unknown.

Bwuh? There's a whole bunch of wood construction in the UK. It's also six times that of Switzerland, where wood construction is common.

While we're on the subject of fire: What was prior to the OKC bombing the worst mass-murder in US history was carried out at an unlicensed nightclub in the Bronx called Happy Land. The place had been shut down and the building condemned two years before by the fire department because an inspection turned up the lack of fire exits, a sprinkler system, or even fire alarms. But it stayed operating illegally and no follow-up inspection was ever performed.

Then a Cuban army deserter who snuck into the US via the Mariel boatlift got pissed off because he lost his job and his girlfriend broke up with him, put $1 worth of gasoline in a plastic bottle, dumped it inside the only entrance to the club, and lit it up. When firefighters showed up it only took them 5 minutes to put the fire out, but that was more than enough time for 87 people to die.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Mar 15, 2017

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

There's also the Upstairs Lounge fire, a firebombing of a gay bar that killed 32 people. There are horrible pictures of people pressed against the barred windows but I'm not going to look those up again.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
I found this follow-up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHkDhfvuKh4

New rule. Always locate exits when I go someplace. Have a plan for fire.

And if a Bouncer tells me a fire exit is for the band only I am putting a loving knife in their chest. I am leaving through that door.

Seriously, almost every survivor that lost their fiancé, or sister, etc, was turned away from those fire doors by a bouncer. How many would have lived if not for those bouncers? How many were denied and died?

LeJackal has a new favorite as of 16:17 on Mar 15, 2017

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

I came across this article today about a fire that burned so hot the fire hoses were essentially shooting steam at it. Six firefighters got trapped and died as a result of the maze-like conditions inside the abandoned building.

http://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/a1098/perfect-fire-0700/

Worth a note that Denis Leary's TV show Rescue Me (and, of course, the charity for firefighters he founded) was inspired by that fire -- Jerry Lucey was his cousin, and Lt. Spencer a friend since childhood.

Also I somehow skimmed over the name of the town before, but when it got to the name of the building, I said "Oh poo poo, THAT fire."

Back when I was a photojournalist, I spent a lot of weekend afternoons in the newspaper office browsing the forums, heard those tones crackle over the scanner, and knew that there might actually be something to fill space in the paper the next day. If the words "working structure fire" came up, I was waiting with one foot out the door by the time they got to the address. If they called out more than three companies (as the article says, three are sent out for reported visible flames), I knew I would make the front page. Or, in this case, driving home for lunch after covering yet another local church's service celebrating 90-some years of operation because nothing loving happens in this town on a Sunday, and seeing a pillar of smoke. Turns out it was a warehouse for a plastic and fiber (i.e. cardboard) recycling company. Luckily, being in east Texas, it was a new build with a giant lot, so basically just a metal shed rather than a high-rise labyrinth, and being a Sunday, nobody was working there, so the only casualties were my arm hairs from getting too close (the veteran TV guy had a full set of bunker gear in his trunk for exactly that reason :v: ). Burned like a motherfucker, though, and there were houses, a historic church, and lots of trees near enough to be threatened, so they couldn't just stand and watch it burn.

The entire city FD turned out, and all the local volunteer squads and neighboring professional departments called in all their off-duty personnel to cover the city. And of course, it was the same day I had to cover a big event at sunrise and a charity shindig in the evening, and welp, there goes my planned six-hour lunch break and hopes of an eight-hour workday.

I wish I'd heard the radio alarm for it (just to hear it, and also to get there as the first Engine company pulled up, before they'd knocked it down a bit) -- it wasn't the first (nor the last) time that outfit's storage space burned , and it's an automatic all-hands-on-deck, because the place is a literal tinderbox -- either our FD doesn't use the numbers of tones to indicate severity, or I never noticed/learned, I based my reaction on the list -- "Medic X, Engine X, respond to...", reload GBS; "Engine X, Truck Y...", get Mapquest loaded and ready to type the address; "Engine X, Engine A, Engine B, Engine Y, Truck Z, Truck C ..." (which I did hear when a fire was reported at the place's new location a year or so later, turned out to be nothing) I'm at the window looking for the smoke, and vaulting the stairs with a paper map in hand when they give the address.

I've always wanted to talk my way into spending 24 hours at a firehouse and making a photoessay of it, but you know it'd end up being a standard boring day with just "back up the medics" calls.

But yeah, I completely agree with the sentiment expressed by the one firefighter in the article in teaching his kids. It cooks your food, but if it gets out of hand ... I've borrowed a helmet and walked through burned houses with the fire marshal after the embers have cooled. Not great for photos, but very good for instilling in me the firefighters' respect for fire.

Check/change the batteries in your smoke detectors, people.

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Mar 15, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Phanatic posted:

Bwuh? There's a whole bunch of wood construction in the UK. It's also six times that of Switzerland, where wood construction is common.

While we're on the subject of fire: What was prior to the OKC bombing the worst mass-murder in US history was carried out at an unlicensed nightclub in the Bronx called Happy Land. The place had been shut down and the building condemned two years before by the fire department because an inspection turned up the lack of fire exits, a sprinkler system, or even fire alarms. But it stayed operating illegally and no follow-up inspection was ever performed.

Then a Cuban army deserter who snuck into the US via the Mariel boatlift got pissed off because he lost his job and his girlfriend broke up with him, put $1 worth of gasoline in a plastic bottle, dumped it inside the only entrance to the club, and lit it up. When firefighters showed up it only took them 5 minutes to put the fire out, but that was more than enough time for 87 people to die.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Land_fire

The guy got more than 4000 years of jail time for this. I'd never heard of anyone getting so many before so decided to look up longest prison sentences and there's some crazy ones:

Charles Scott Robinson: 30,000 years
Allan Wayne McLaurin: 21,250 years
Dudley Wayne Kyzer: 10,000 years
James Eagan Holmes: 12 life sentences and 3,318 years without parole
Bobbie Joe Long: 28 life sentences, 99 years, and 1 death sentence

Link to the law blog I found them on, but there's not much there besides brief descriptions of the crimes, but their are links to better stories about them indivdually.

LeJackal posted:

New rule. Always locate exits when I go someplace. Have a plan for fire.

Yeah, that Station fire video is what makes me do this exact thing every time I go somewhere. One of my biggest fears is knowing where I'm supposed to go, but then finding the venue chained the outside of a fire escape door to keep people from sneaking in.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Mar 15, 2017

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Who the gently caress says a fire exit is only for a band

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

verbal enema posted:

Somebody who is gonna get knifed is who.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I get that being a bouncer is literally keeping people out of certain doors, but you'd think in a fire that's when you get to actually just let anyone through. How many people could he have saved by yelling, "There's an exit this way too." I doubt he sleeps very well.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

I get that being a bouncer is literally keeping people out of certain doors, but you'd think in a fire that's when you get to actually just let anyone through. How many people could he have saved by yelling, "There's an exit this way too." I doubt he sleeps very well.

He's probably dead, so soundly.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

verbal enema posted:

I went to concerts at the Station; the owners, construction of that building, and how security was told to treat the customers was nuts. After the fire, the investigators asked people who had photos of the club's interior to supply them to help with the investigation; I'd been allowed to photograph an artist's soundcheck one afternoon, so had a lot of daytime photos that showed clearly the black-painted egg crates that were all over the walls and ceiling.

I may get that book; I read the preview on Amazon which includes the interior layout -- it was like a maze inside. I've seen the film footage (just once, years ago) and still have bad dreams about being stuck there -- the shows we went to, I remember distinctly telling the ex-Mr Boods that it would be a disaster if people had to get out of there in a hurry.

And, yep, there was a huge door right next to the stage -- had they opened that and let people out, a hell of a lot more people might have survived -- that doorway that you see, where all the people get jammed in? Was only accessed through a tiny foyer, and even then you had to navigate a tight interior set-up even to get to that.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

LeJackal posted:

He's probably dead, so soundly.
Could be wrong but I remember hearing a survivor say she ran into him years later and when she confronted him, he pretty much just laughed in her face.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Bouncers(the lovely ones at least)tend to have that "I'm going to do my job even if it means 100 people have to die in a fire" attitude. They like to pretend they're cops or soldiers or something.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Celery Face posted:

Could be wrong but I remember hearing a survivor say she ran into him years later and when she confronted him, he pretty much just laughed in her face.

How is he not in prison?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

queserasera posted:

Virginia Tech, you say?

I'm pretty sure it's been in this long thread before, but the murder that occurred at an on campus restaurant a few years after the shooting is really terrifying:

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/news/zhu-sentenced-to-life-in-prison/article_1f28daca-f295-5a1d-8763-b8584d0eac89.html

quote:

“Somewhere in the night he got the idea he should take her with him to the next life,” Murrie said. “The belief was unprecedented. He had no cultural or religious beliefs to support the idea.”

That article is a really interesting portrait of the killer, but it skips over an important part of the crime.

quote:

A Virginia Tech doctoral student lunged at a fellow student in a campus cafe and began cutting her head off with a knife while staring at her face with a blank, determined expression, a cafe worker testified Friday.
By the time police arrived, Zhu was holding the woman's head in his hand, an officer testified.

I can't find any information on his current status. I wonder if he'll ever get out of prison.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In regards to the Station bouncer, it's actually even worse than that if everything she writes about it actually happened:

http://imgur.com/2Cl8RxL

That's like cartoonish levels of villainy

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

In regards to the Station bouncer, it's actually even worse than that if everything she writes about it actually happened:

http://imgur.com/2Cl8RxL

That's like cartoonish levels of villainy

Holy poo poo. He sounds like an evil wizard from a lovely novel, but instead of practicing the dark arts he wears a "Security" shirt and brags about keeping people in a fire at benefits for that fire's victims. It boggles my mind, but having known people almost that hosed up it's not totally unbelievable. What a sick gently caress.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Holy poo poo. He sounds like an evil wizard from a lovely novel, but instead of practicing the dark arts he wears a "Security" shirt and brags about keeping people in a fire at benefits for that fire's victims. It boggles my mind, but having known people almost that hosed up it's not totally unbelievable. What a sick gently caress.

How has he not been successfully sued for civil damages, at the least? If not brought up on dozens of charges of manslaughter or murder, openly and notoriously carrying on like that?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've seen a few sources say they weren't allowed through the side door right away. So maybe that part is true and the rest is maybe being clouded by the author putting all the bad feelings she has at that one guy? She said so herself that's what she's doing so maybe it's more of that than truth? Either way you'd think (hope) he would've been charged if anyone could prove anything.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
It we post the bouncer's name here, do you think he'll sign up for an account and come argue in the thread?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

its me, im the foaminator

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

theflyingorc posted:

Virginia Tech, you say?

I'm pretty sure it's been in this long thread before, but the murder that occurred at an on campus restaurant a few years after the shooting is really terrifying:

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/news/zhu-sentenced-to-life-in-prison/article_1f28daca-f295-5a1d-8763-b8584d0eac89.html

That article is a really interesting portrait of the killer, but it skips over an important part of the crime.

I can't find any information on his current status. I wonder if he'll ever get out of prison.

I was a student at VT from 2003 to 2009. It was a weird time. I was drinking at a bar (River Mill) not far from ABP when the Zhu killing happened. A bunch of cop cars rolled up to the Graduate Life Center and everyone freaked out thinking another shooting was ongoing. It was about 2 hours before we learned it was a goddamn decapitation. I actually had beers at the same bar with one of the shooting victims on April 14th and 15th, 2007.

Another unnerving thing is that some people didn't take the April 16 shooting seriously at first because of the bizarre events from the first day of classes in the 2006-2007 academic year. That first day was canceled because a crazy dude, William Morva, escaped jail. Morva was being held in a local jail awaiting trial for armed robbery (he tried and failed to rob Blacksburg Deli Mart, Freedom First Credit Union, Food Time and Burger King, but since he took a shotgun with him the charges were for armed robbery). Anyways, Morva faked an illess so he could be transferred to the hospital, knocked out the escorting officer, stole his gun, killed a security guard, and went on the run. A few hours later, a couple of police officers found him, one of whom Morva also shot and killed. He ran again, this time towards the VT campus, so campus went on lockdown. About 10 hours later (around 3pm) he was found covered by foliage asleep, something like 100 yards away from the 2nd shooting.

I failed to find the photos, but that day was seriously an impromptu party day in Blacksburg. I went to at least three huge parties that night. I took a ton photos of frats with signs that read stuff like "BRING IT MORVA WE GOT GUNS" and "THANKS MORVA I NEEDED A DRINK." It was weird.

Morva himself was absolutely bonkers. I met him a few times in downtown Blacksburg. Dude rarely wore shoes and was obviously unhinged. I had one direct conversation with him where, somehow, the topic of hunting came up. I told him that I hunted quite a bit as a teenager, you know, being from the country and all. He called me a pussy for using a gun because "real men hunt game with spears."

Anyways, he's on death row now and will be a real test for Virginia's death penalty. The photo above is supposedly him snapping his fingers saying "dang!" when he was sentenced to death.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Killer Show goes into detail about the man at 5:55 carrying someone else over his shoulders and calling for a medic.

quote:

A few patrons escaped despite an initial period of indecision. Harold “Hal” Panciera came to The Station that night with low expectations, and the place, “an overcrowded dump,” lived up to them. Panciera was thirty-five and coming off a rough stretch. Just three weeks out of rehab for cocaine addiction, he sat “stone cold sober” at the main horseshoe bar smoking cigarettes when Great White took the stage. He can be seen in Brian Butler’s early video walkthrough of the main bar, seated next to the Sanetti party.

Panciera had a clear sight-line to the stage from his perch at the bar, and he didn’t like what he saw. The moment flames began climbing the walls behind Great White, he “knew that people were going to die — the place was just that crowded.” Panciera initially ducked behind the bar’s curve about ten feet from the exit door and waited for his buddy, who had gone to the men’s room. Before long, however, black smoke tumbled toward him across the ceiling. It fast became too thick to see anyone, but he “distinctly recalls hearing the bar cash register open.” Someone scooped the till.

As heat in the room rose in seconds from tolerable to scalding, Panciera could hear, over the screams, people banging blindly on the walls, feeling for any door or window opening. Working his own way along the east wall of the club, he groped for the bar exit door until he “popped out” of it, into breathable air. Once he became reoriented, Panciera returned to the bar door and yelled inside, but there was no response. He turned and walked twenty feet farther south to the kitchen door. It stood open and empty, flanked by snow piles. All who would exit through it on their own had long since left. Inside were only black smoke within a few feet of the floor and an eerie silence. When he yelled into the door, Panciera truly expected no response. But a man answered, “Help! I’m burning alive! I can’t get out!” Panciera knew he could not reenter through the dense smoke, so he yelled for the man to stay on the floor and tell him if he felt snow. Panciera then began throwing snowballs along the floor in a radial pattern. After several tosses, the man responded, “I feel it!” So, Panciera kept throwing snowballs in the man’s direction, instructing him to follow them. When the man crawled within feet of the kitchen door, Panciera reached inside and dragged him out.

Brian Butler’s video from outside the club more than five minutes into the conflagration clearly shows the five-foot-seven, 150-pound Panciera standing in the parking lot, staring toward arriving firetrucks and shouting, “Gimme a medic!” Over one shoulder, he carries a two-hundred-pound unconscious man. Behind him, flames belch from the club’s front doors. Beside him, a leather-vested club-goer holds a pitifully tiny fire extinguisher aloft in one hand. In the foreground, firemen drag an uncharged line past a blackened, still-smoking man who writhes on the pavement moaning, “Turn it on . . . turn it on.” And Dan Biechele scrambles to free that same fire hose from beneath a car tire. One can only surmise Biechele’s horror at what he had unwittingly set in motion. Panciera never learned the identity of the man on his shoulder — the lucky one, who had escaped the inferno on a trail of snowballs. But the victim spoke with Panciera about his children after regaining consciousness and awaiting transport to a hospital. Panciera is sure the man survived.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Celery Face posted:

Killer Show goes into detail about the man at 5:55 carrying someone else over his shoulders and calling for a medic.

That's some next level cleverness under pressure.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
On the subject of nightclub fires and people getting away with poo poo, have the The Stardust Fire.

Basically on valentine's day 1981, a fire broke out at a club in North Dublin, apparently due to a mix of faulty electrical wiring and some unfortunately placed cooking oil. There should have been enough time to evacuate, but in order to prevent customers from slipping in without paying the cover charge, all of the fire exits had been chained shut. About two minutes after the alarm, a flashover occurred, the lights went out the ceiling literally began to melt on top of people.

Everyone tried to stampede through the front entrance, but in the confusion, a couple dozen people accidentally ran into the men's toilets and were subsequently trapped there, as there were metal bars and plates attached to the windows. Firefighters did manage to pull some of the plates away though, saving about thirty people. When the smoke cleared, 48 people were dead and 214 were injured. The fire was ruled an arson, but there were never any suspects. It is now widely believed that the arson claim was made so that the owners and local government wouldn't be considered responsible. The Butterly family, who owned the club and the surrounding business plaza were compensated with 580,000 Irish Pounds. The floor plan this original tribunal used was also later deemed to be inaccurate, maybe intentionally so.

The Butterly's attempted to open a pub on the premises in 2006 but were met with protest until they agreed to include a memorial to the victims of the disaster. Following a campaign by the families of the victims, in 2009 the government amended the official cause of the fire to be unknown.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's some next level cleverness under pressure.
Especially for a dude who just kicked a coke addiction. I don't have any personal experience with cocaine, but based on my experiences going on and off amphetamines over time (legal, the ADD kind, prescribed to me), going off of uppers makes you feel like a zombie slug for a while.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Mostly unnerving for the sheer sadness of the situation.
3 year old stuck in apartment with dead mom, feeds herself cereal.
:smith: gonna go hug my girls extra tight when I pick them up today.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I think masonry also takes much more time and skill to build. You can't build a masonry wall flat and then tilt it up.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Re: US fire stuff, I suspect it's a combination of factors, as is often the case. I don't know for sure if there's one central cause you can point to for the USA's fire problems, if only because everything I've read over the years blames it on different factors, but the main one is probably construction methods. Architectural guides point to the fire hazards of stick frame architecture and its variants, electrical guides point to a mix of poor codes and poor code enforcement (and, occasionally, the idea that US electrical standards are just wildly unsafe compared to other places in the world, but I'm not sure that holds up against ring circuits in use in the UK, which are just bonkers, regardless of whether the plug design is slightly safer), and in general the US is a physically very large place where standards for construction vary wildly and older wooden construction, often made by amateur builders, has been repeatedly grandfathered in through multiple layers of safety law (or lack thereof).

The prevalence of wooden construction is certainly a large factor, poor safety standards for construction probably also play some role, and electrical safety problems may contribute as well. Most places in the US have favored 'fast' and 'cheap' in determining how to build structures, and that often means thin timber frames that burn quick and dangerously in a fire. Interestingly, the US Fire Administration, a group I had not previously known existed, apparently put out a study investigating that matter themselves some years ago. Their conclusion is that the US is improving in fire safety faster than most other nations, but remains a relatively fire-plagued nation, and worryingly, no one seems to be able to agree on why.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
This 2001 article came up in a D&D discussion: Texas Monthly: "Remember the Christian Alamo".

Long/short, a hardcore fringe Baptist preacher built some boarding schools for "rebellious" youth in the 60s, and spent decades fighting the courts because he claimed that having any accreditation/licensing/oversight was a First Amendment infringement. Meanwhile his employees beat kids black and blue, put them in solitary confinement for over a month at a time while piping in sermons and hymns over the intercom, and basically just played Cartoon Villain in the name of saving the souls of the young.

At one point in 1979 when he was yet again ordered to shut down, he had a bunch of his followers form a human chain around the property to keep law enforcement from entering. And at one point when he was within hours of being stormed by cops, he packed all the kids on buses and drove them across the state line to a temporary home so he could keep them from falling into the state's hands.

The article was written in 2001 since GW Bush was talking about federal-level Religious Freedom laws, which were exactly the laws which allowed the schools to re-open in the 1990s by forming their own brand-new "accreditation organization" staffed by their own people to sign off on themselves as a faith-based charity that didn't need oversight. Long but worth a read if you like terrible childhoods. Though I'll spoil it and say that (at least as far as the article goes) the worst of it is corporal punishment, neglect, and emotional abuse, but no kids being molested or murdered if you're trying to avoid reading those topics.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
this has probably been posted before but this is such a long thread and it's definitely been a while. the search for the famous september 11 falling man, the wtc employee in upside-down freefall who was for a long time completely anonymous even though he was one of the most enduring images of the attack

e: i just googled it and he has still not been identified, i thought i'd read recently that he was but clearly read wrong.

Avshalom has a new favorite as of 04:15 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Not really sure if this fits this thread or where else it would be better to post, but it certainly unnerved me today.

In a Facebook group that I'm a part of someone wrote a post about Ralph Shortey, the Republican senator that was charged with child prostitution earlier this week. The OP was talking about how there's plenty more child abusers in Washington, and I made this sorta :tinfoil:-ey reply (I'm the red guy):

(Note I'm not a Pizzagate believer or anything but I do think that Hollywood and Washington both have their share of creeps that can get away with abuse because of their connections.)

A little while later I got a notification that someone had replied and I noticed that my comment had been changed...

At first I thought I had just accidentally included the word "not" but when I went to edit my post, Facebook was acting a bit strange. Not sure how to properly explain it but basically the whole post collapsed so that no comments were visible at all, and the box to write a comment was not present.

I refreshed the page and then my post was back to the original. I reloaded the page a few more times and it seemed to be switching back and forth between the two versions and generally acting weird as described above. That's when I took the screencaps, which is why the 1st screencap was taken after the second one. Notice how my comment doesn't indicate that it was edited. After a few times it remained in the original version, with no "not", and as of now it is still like that.

I honestly have no clue what happened there. Can group admins edit user posts without leaving any notifications or signs the post was edited? Or was someone at Facebook HQ loving with me?

bowser has a new favorite as of 04:10 on Mar 18, 2017