Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I'm of two minds: previews and streams show juuuust enough of the Mass Effect stuff that I crave, but I also don't want to reward Bioware / EA with my money when the game seems to have fundamental design problems. I'll probably buy it, but dang. I had high hopes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This is some really terribly candy coated criticism though.
Like, she's trying to be negative about the game not explaining or introducing its systems appropriately for the player to understand and there's a lot of micromanaging stuff but she doesn't want to pull the trigger on saying "this aspect is bad". Kind of like an apologetic fan who doesn't want people to think badly of something they like.

That's the nature of games criticism. If they're overly negative, especially before general release, EA thinks twice before sending them review copies in future, or even letting them go to preview events.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

paint dry posted:

That's the nature of games criticism. If they're overly negative, especially before general release, EA thinks twice before sending them review copies in future, or even letting them go to preview events.

You'll get labeled as a Wild Card really quickly. An unreliable source to promote the developers game and as such seen as a threat to sales.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I'll reserve my judgement until my favourite famous internet game reviewers tell me what to think because I can't form a single independent thought on my own.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Excelsiortothemax posted:

You'll get labeled as a Wild Card really quickly. An unreliable source to promote the developers game and as such seen as a threat to sales.

Exactly. Kotaku are already blacklisted by Ubi Soft, iirc.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Michaellaneous posted:

I'll reserve my judgement until my favourite famous internet game reviewers tell me what to think because I can't form a single independent thought on my own.

The only good thing about this game for me right now is that there should be a dunkey vid for it soon.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

paint dry posted:

Oh, I know, I've been in and out of the business of doing that kind of thing for years.

You're not going to change the climate by kowtowing to that though.
Maybe that explains the "and out" bit.

Bossie Lott
Nov 21, 2010
Eagerly awaiting a Crowbcat video on this.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
As long as the game gives me a good excuse to be an unstoppable biotic pinball then nothing else matters. The jankier my face and the faces and words of those around me the better, since my thing is to rp people with concussions.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
MrBtongue's yearly video is gonna be a doozy

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Do yourself a favour and watch one of the gameplay videos. You won't get spoiled for anything important. You might decide you're ok with the problems but there are problems. I'm going to at least play the 10 hour trial myself and I'll probably play the whole game because I can have fun screwing around in a bad game but at least I know what I'm getting myself into and it won't come as a rude shock.

i don't need it to be GOTY or anything. there will be no shock but at this point, I've made it this far so might as well wait to see it for the first time in my own playthrough - its less than a week away. what i've seen in the combat, character building, and exploration videos looks good enough to me to give it a try, but I'm not pinning my emotional stability to it.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

:downsgun:

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Scott Forstall posted:

but I'm not pinning my emotional stability to it.

It's casuals like you that are ruining video gamer culture

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

As long as the game gives me a good excuse to be an unstoppable biotic pinball then nothing else matters. The jankier my face and the faces and words of those around me the better, since my thing is to rp people with concussions.

The game will almost certainly allow you to be an unstoppable biotic pinball.
It's my early call for "OP as gently caress build du jour".

Scott Forstall posted:

this sounds like what I was hoping for

It's like an action game in that there's awkward 3rd person shooting and the story is flimsy as gently caress, the characters are milquetoast and the animations are janky as gently caress, and it's like an RPG in that inventory management and UI design is right down there with a paradox game.

(I still don't think it's a bad game.)

Scott Forstall posted:

i don't need it to be GOTY or anything. there will be no shock but at this point, I've made it this far so might as well wait to see it for the first time in my own playthrough - its less than a week away. what i've seen in the combat, character building, and exploration videos looks good enough to me to give it a try, but I'm not pinning my emotional stability to it.

It's not a bad game. It's not genuine GOTY material, but it will appear in those lists later on anyway because EA knows how to get its flagship titles up there.
If you wanna wait a week, wait a week. I don't think anybody here can genuinely get far enough for spoilers that are actually spoiling anything.

I'm sure the combat isn't as bad as I think it is from my first impression. The Exploration is probably not as bad if you aren't going for mad flips in the Nomad, and wondering why vertical slopes are impassable all of a sudden (BACK IN MY DAY THE MAKO WOULD DO THIS IN ITS loving SLEEP).
The Character designer is hot garbage though.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 16, 2017

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Schlesische posted:

The game will almost certainly allow you to be an unstoppable biotic pinball.
It's my early call for "OP as gently caress build du jour".

It's like an action game in that there's awkward 3rd person shooting and the story is flimsy as gently caress, the characters are milquetoast and the animations are janky as gently caress, and it's like an RPG in that inventory management and UI design is right down there with a paradox game.

(I still don't think it's a bad game.)

It's not a bad game. It's not genuine GOTY material, but it will appear in those lists later on anyway because EA knows how to get its flagship titles up there.
If you wanna wait a week, wait a week. I don't think anybody here can genuinely get far enough for spoilers that are actually spoiling anything.

With my limited hands-on experience, the animations are janky, but mostly ignorable. The action animations are mostly fine. The shooting portions are great, though, not awkward at all.

I've only met Cora and Liam. Cora is a bit bland, but Liam is giving me good John Boyega vibes.

Edit: Yes, character designer is terribly disappointing. The one thing that I am legitimately unhappy about.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Whether I buy this game or not, this thread has been top quality entertainment. Thanks buddies.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
by character building, i mean the rpg stuff, not the custom face stuff. i have never cared about custom face stuff, i'mma just play as default lady ryder

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

That character still shot herself in the face when I played it last night. I guess the return time on rigging animations overseas is time consuming due to them being shipped on a ocean freighter.

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 16, 2017

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I think EA realized their name is now synonymous with unfinished crap people will pay for anyway because they're desperate for a new game to play!!!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Michaellaneous posted:

This but for everything

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Jon Irenicus posted:

I'm of two minds: previews and streams show juuuust enough of the Mass Effect stuff that I crave, but I also don't want to reward Bioware / EA with my money when the game seems to have fundamental design problems. I'll probably buy it, but dang. I had high hopes.
Same, pretty much.

How often to Origin games go on sale? The sensible thing would be just to wait for that to happen... But I'm starting to crave some of that sweet sweet "it's just a lazy horde mode!!!" multiplayer.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Battlefield 1 and Titanfall started getting significant discounts pretty quickly, but I can't remember exactly how fast it was.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Soooooooo price drop purchase?

Price drop purchase.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Berious posted:

I think EA realized their name is now synonymous with unfinished crap people will pay for anyway because they're desperate for a new game to play!!!

This. And a designated D Team to cut costs and increase profits as much as possible.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Combat is okay. A bigger incremental improvement than me3 was.

Story and dialogue feel like a knock off game. The characters have dead faces and flat delivery. I thought that all those bad dialogue scenes were cherry picked, but they're not. It's like that more often than not. Everyone is paralyzed except for the mouth.

The game does nothing to engage you in the story, and the characters don't really seem to care about it either. I cannot emphasize enough how bad the voice direction is.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Cash Monet posted:

Soooooooo price drop purchase?

Price drop purchase.

Yeaaaaaah it's a darn shame, but given that there's been a bumper crop of genuinely good, well done games since the start of the year I think I'm going to wait until I can get this on the cheapo. I'm sure I'll have fun with it then even if it's still a clunky mess. Alas.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

paint dry posted:

Exactly. Kotaku are already blacklisted by Ubi Soft, iirc.

Not a fan of Kokatu, but this is probably a good thing for them. They should be blacklisted by EA too, but they have a "journalist" that has been bucking for a job at Bioware as a writer for the last 3 years.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

Story and dialogue feel like a knock off game. The characters have dead faces and flat delivery. I thought that all those bad dialogue scenes were cherry picked, but they're not. It's like that more often than not. Everyone is paralyzed except for the mouth.

The game does nothing to engage you in the story, and the characters don't really seem to care about it either. I cannot emphasize enough how bad the voice direction is.

What if I just want to know about [pathfinder]?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pathfinder?

maybe it's just a meta thing because my face does actually hurt a bit from laughing at some of the stuff

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007

Utnayan posted:

Not a fan of Kokatu, but this is probably a good thing for them. They should be blacklisted by EA too, but they have a "journalist" that has been bucking for a job at Bioware as a writer for the last 3 years.

You know, earlier in the thread when you were talking about being part of video game history I was kinda laughing at you, but having now seen some poo poo, this does feel like it's the Trump presidency of video games. lol

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Can someone please answer: do we get to sexxor Natalie Dormer alien yes/no?

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

Dead faces are indeed a major letdown. I'm not agreeing with you on the delivery, though, I think they sound fine. Same standard (mostly) as previous Bioware games and other AAA titles.

D1E posted:

There was a datamined list of romanceable characters, but Natalie Dormer isn't one of them.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Dr. Stab posted:

The only reason why I have interest in the story is because I like the whole space pioneer/Voortrekker thing, and adventure "just because" seems like a thing that hasnt been done in a while. The game has done little to actually help me feel more interested, and it's getting easy points because I'm really yearning for a cool space opera game.

That said it still feels like the least inspired thing ever. Witcher 3 had enough creativity and fun characters to make me tolerate the medieval fantasy setting that I universally hate. If I didn't already like space games I would have uninstalled this after the first 20 minutes.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Berious posted:

Low and behold this won't work this time since we have Horizon, Nier, Nioh, Zelda, and I am sure there are others I missed.

Everyone I know is looking at this, laughing, and saying "I am not even paying $5 to see the trial for 10 hours". And back they go to an actual good game worth a poo poo. :)

EA won't care. And unfortunately, this game will still sell millions of copies.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007

D1E posted:

That's a big hard no there.

edot: that's just early game though, it's entirely possible she simply requires additional dialogue input to set her 'wants to bone you' flag from 0 to 1.

Stranger Danger Ranger fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 16, 2017

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Utnayan posted:

Low and behold this won't work this time since we have Horizon, Nier, Nioh, Zelda, and I am sure there are others I missed.

Everyone I know is looking at this, laughing, and saying "I am not even paying $5 to see the trial for 10 hours". And back they go to an actual good game worth a poo poo. :)

EA won't care. And unfortunately, this game will still sell millions of copies.

Those games certainly are good and better than Andromeda, even. But they don't offer the same experience as Andromeda does, which justifies its existence.

Would it be better if the game had the same polish as it's contemporaries? Of course. But it doesn't and there's no other game out there that lets me have a jetpack, so what can you do?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Zakmonster posted:

But it doesn't and there's no other game out there that lets me have a jetpack, so what can you do?

this insult to Starsiege: Tribes and successors will not stand

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Zakmonster posted:

Dead faces are indeed a major letdown. I'm not agreeing with you on the delivery, though, I think they sound fine. Same standard (mostly) as previous Bioware games and other AAA titles.

This is crazy. Even ME1 had a better cast capable of better delivery than this, and ME1's VA was not great compared to ME2 and 3.

Claiming that it is "standard" and equal to other AAA titles is bizarre.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Awesome, I paid for Origin Access to try the game out, tried it for 5 minutes last night before my GF needed attention. Closed the game out. The process didn't close. Get on my PC just now and it's like "you have less than 10 minutes left to play, buy now!"

gently caress you EA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
facial structures profoundly altered by cryosleep