Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CzarChasm posted:

...Ultimates, right?

No, it was during Disassembled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I have every intention of seeing both. I might just have to wait for Redbox for one of them. I've already prioritized them over Get Out and Lego Batman, which I really want to see, but will be Redbox rentals for sure.

I know some folks prefer watching movies at home vs theater, but Get Out is a movie that absolutely benefits from the theatergoing experience.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's Daphne Keen speaking in her natural accent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc5YIoX7Jjo

I knew she was English/Spanish, but I didn't know if her accent speaking English in the film was affected or her actual accent.

I was curious about this, for native or fluent Spanish speakers, how Spanish (country) accented was her Spanish? I know there's a pretty significant difference in how Spanish is spoken there vs. how it is spoken in the Americas, but I can't tell the difference. Did they even try for a Mexican accent?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Get Out is a movie that absolutely benefits from the theatergoing experience.

Also this movie disserves the financial push over the others. Film executives need us to slap them in the face with our money and say "yes, you can greenlight independent/alternative black movies, it doesn't need to be a Tyler Perry joint to make money at the box office"

But that's only if you're concerned with doing your civic duty.

I say this having seen Logan in the theater and not Get Out. Not yet at least.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I tried to see Get Out but every time the title screen comes up I run away.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Also this movie disserves the financial push over the others. Film executives need us to slap them in the face with our money and say "yes, you can greenlight independent/alternative black movies, it doesn't need to be a Tyler Perry joint to make money at the box office"

But that's only if you're concerned with doing your civic duty.

I say this having seen Logan in the theater and not Get Out. Not yet at least.

It's already made $100m, not sure it needs any help.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I keep hearing great things about Get Out but I'm a great big coward who can't watch horror movies if I can't mute them for, like, half the duration, so...

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Phylodox posted:

I keep hearing great things about Get Out but I'm a great big coward who can't watch horror movies if I can't mute them for, like, half the duration, so...

Same

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Get Out isn't really a horror movie at all. It's just a really long, really good episode of Twilight Zone.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Get Out deserves it more. It made history the other day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.c6f8d592ab72

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Phylodox posted:

It's pretty spooky but honestly not that horrific/scary. I'd say give it a shot!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah, like X-O said, it's essentially a really good episode of the Twilight Zone made in 2017. It's more thriller/mystery than horror.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As long as it's not gory with a bunch of jump scares I'm in.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I'm also an entire coward so I'd asked a few friends about the scares and was told that The Shining is a good bellwether for the scariness of it. Still haven't actually managed to make it to Get Out but that's just scheduling.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I don't do gory or sadistic horror movies, so I know most of them aren't for me. But I like atmospheric horror like The Thing and the first Silent Hill (and Hannibal is one of my all-time favorite shows), clever twists like Cabin in the Woods, and I love dark, psychological thrillers. I definitely want to see Get Out, and Peele (and Key) are great, but I think I need something more escapist tomorrow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I adore atmospheric horror but genuinely dislike gorefests or constant jumpscares. They're not fun-scary to me, just tiring.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is a bunch of jump scares but it's not gory, hope this helps ya'll out.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

There is a bunch of jump scares but it's not gory, hope this helps ya'll out.

Welp, I'm out. I'll catch it on Netflix.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
drat. I just realized there's a lot of movies I actually want to go to the theater to see. Get Out, Logan, Lego Batman. I guess 3 isn't "a lot" but normally I'm lucky if there's even one film on "must see" list on the odd occasion I want to go to the movies.

There's also the MST revivial on Netflix. Not really comic related though except AV Club said they have Pumaman up.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

CelticPredator posted:

Get Out deserves it more. It made history the other day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.c6f8d592ab72

The director had a good interview on NPR last night. Sold me on seeing it soon.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Sony just announced a Venom solo movie for release in 2018

No word on whether it will be connected to MCU spidey, cast or director.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Willing to bet it's the first cash in on R-Rated superhero movies because Logan was good and successful

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Dacap posted:

nothing about this sounds like an even remotely good idea. just put the fucker in the mcu already. nobody wants anymore of your poo poo spiderman films anymore sony

gently caress you, sony

gently caress you

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I don't know why they would think anyone would want this character unconnected to Spider-Man or even established in a Spider-Man movie first. I'd be ok if they had him as a villain in a movie first before doing the spinoff so we have a reason to care.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

i hope to god they dont do an origin story. just no origin. assume everyone knows venom

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Roth posted:

Willing to bet it's the first cash in on R-Rated superhero movies because Logan was good and successful

Pretty sure Logan was the first cash in on R-Rated superhero movies because Deadpool was good and successful. It just happened to also be good and successful and came from the same studio.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I want a shot for shot film adaptation of Venom: Lethal Protector. Mullet Eddie best Eddie.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Alien Venom or Dad's cure for cancer Venom?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

haitfais posted:

Pretty sure Logan was the first cash in on R-Rated superhero movies because Deadpool was good and successful. It just happened to also be good and successful and came from the same studio.

First bad cash in*

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm guessing in an effort to ape the mcu, there will be a stinger at the end of homecoming where someone approaches the vulture to make him a suit or some poo poo after he inevitablly gets locked up

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is Aquaman being released in Dec 2018 old news?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dacap posted:

This article says that it will not be connected to the MCU Spidey and it will be a separate thing

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/16/venom-sony-sets-release-date-for-spider-man-spinoff-movie?abthid=58cb4303957c3da012000083

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

This article says that it will not be connected to the MCU Spidey and it will be a separate thing

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/16/venom-sony-sets-release-date-for-spider-man-spinoff-movie?abthid=58cb4303957c3da012000083

Goddamn Sony are such idiots.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
For the record, having went in and paid to see all 4 movies of discussion: Get Out > Lego Batman > Logan > John Wick 2. All are pretty great, I even paid to see Get Out twice. I wouldn't call it a jump scare kind of movie. I really only remember 1. Maybe 2 if you're really skittish. It's definitely not gory or anything like that. It's creepy and a little too real for quite a bit of it and I think that's the draw.

Sony posted:

Venom!

gently caress right off, I want none of ya.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I really need to stop using this monkey's paw

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dacap posted:

Goddamn Sony are such idiots.

They don't want to share the box office with Marvel Studios like they will be doing with Spider-Man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They're also in bad shape financially after a string of underperforming films. They've been proposing a solo Venom flick since the summer after Spider-man 3.

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
Reading some speculation that this new movie Life is actually a backdoor setup for the Venom movie. The speculation is fun to consider, especially since they reused a crowd shot from Spider-Man 3 of people looking up at the sky, but ultimately I doubt it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

sublyme posted:

Reading some speculation that this new movie Life is actually a backdoor setup for the Venom movie. The speculation is fun to consider, especially since they reused a crowd shot from Spider-Man 3 of people looking up at the sky, but ultimately I doubt it.

Awwww, I saw the trailer and was really hoping it was a secret Thing flick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

sublyme posted:

That would increase the number of comic book films featuring Ryan Reynolds in a leading role to a staggering 4.

Count me in!

• Locked thread