Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bargearse posted:

Uh guys

I got some bad news

I like the Mass Effect games

I expected better from a dubbed Australian 70s cop. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE? NOOOOOOOO!

Share in the grief commando, I tossed $20 into the Battletech dumpster fire that is now spinning out of control with a missed release date.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

When the game is released, and ship prices are 4x what they are now, what's not to say I can't sell or rent them out for cash?
lol

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

ManofManyAliases posted:

When the game is released, and ship prices are 4x what they are now, what's not to say I can't sell or rent them out for cash?

if you're the kind of person that spends money for things before they exist you're not going be any good at working a market. or put another way - if you were able to turn a profit you wouldn't be talking about how you're going to turn a profit

do some trading in eve first and then come back, you'll have answered your own question

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ManofManyAliases posted:

You are a good troll MoMA and I appreciate you being in this thread.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

Joke's on you buddy none of us have any money :smuggo:

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

ManofManyAliases posted:

:laffo:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

I'm a backer though, so no idea what you're talking about
I didn't even get a refund when the patcher refused to connect and then the game wouldn't load and then when I finally got in the whole experience was just bad

mostly because I'm lazy and refused to follow up with my refund emails

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

TheAgent posted:

yeah I'm pretty sure we've all said that if the game releases as billed we'd all play it because it would be amazing

I don't think I could, look at the existing player base.

It would be like attending the crap school for jerks.

/bad joke

thank you

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

:gary:

People honestly think this, tell me you really believe it too.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
pgabz and I are gonna rock when 3.0 hits though

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ManofManyAliases posted:

Nobody will play a game where you either have to spend $1000 to fly Chris's equivalent of the Millennium Falcon or grind the hundreds of hours necessary to justify a $1000 price point for a convenience purchase.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

big nipples big life posted:

You are a good troll MoMA and I appreciate you being in this thread.

Seconded.

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016
As I recall, it was G0RF who (WHOM!) was the main ME:A cheerleader here, and he's long been gone.

Maybe he knew it was gonna be trash

SC still gonna be great tho

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

AP posted:

I must admit I'll feel pretty silly for not sinking thousands of dollars into it when I still had the chance.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_lnSE8rt46ufKtOxATJFUEWGQZ9O9e2rCpisFLOV_DU/htmlview

will never not be funny af

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Hard to argue with this. Vehicles actually move.

Even when you don't want them to, what a bonus!

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Renting someone's ship sounds soooooo fun. I love how everyone in SC is a captain of industry who will make lots of money.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
hmm this might have better animation than ME:A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdJk8ROpuEo&t=420s

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

Renting someone's ship sounds soooooo fun. I love how everyone in SC is a captain of industry who will make lots of money.

Everyone gets to be an Indian chief!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

TheAgent posted:

hmm this might have better animation than ME:A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdJk8ROpuEo&t=420s

preordered

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Sunswipe posted:

I expected better from a dubbed Australian 70s cop. :colbert:

Normally I'd bust out some classic Bargearse quotes at this point, but it's 2.30am, I'm exhausted and I've got nothing

andromeda looks bad, will play anyway

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

:sandance:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

There was some nutball on the RSI forums that was looking to corner the pharmaceutical market with his space lab.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Citizens have posted ~dreams~ about real companies setting up store fronts in the 'verse because so many millions of people will be playing SC.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Asdayasman/status/842351910166380546

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
me getting in shape for ME:A launch next week

https://imgur.com/gallery/nLk6pik

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Bargearse posted:

Uh guys

I got some bad news

I like the Mass Effect games

:same: Even though I doubt I'll be able to say that in 1 more months' time.

But anyway, thanks MadCosby and MoMA for making me laugh. Thread gud again!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

TheAgent posted:

And they said Ben couldn't do that!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I liked Mass Effect.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?
It would be hilarious if Amazon did come in and do a Microsoft style revamp of the project and fire Chris Roberts and actually produce a game. At that point I'd wait and see and buy it if it looked good when it came out.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

ManofManyAliases posted:

SC pre-release: game looks bad
SC actual release: game looks fun

I can see this happening and all of you still ashamed.

Shucks! If that is the case, I'll never know. Seein' as how I refunded and all...

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ManofManyAliases posted:

I know the futility of trying to talk to you but, this is one thing you probably shouldn't ever think. I'm sorry but this is not going to happen and it's pretty clear why.

here is a simple economic concept, I'll space it out to make it easier to parse:

But due to the pre--order nature of this people have already bought $100,000,000+ worth of in game assets.

Meaning at the $1 = $1000 UEC conversion rate they are trying to establish, that one hundred billion UEC has been injected into the economy before it even exists.

That one hundred billion UEC will now no longer need to be spent by people on ships and will instead become free credits the players otherwise wouldn't have had access to.

There is alot of information on economics, beginner to advanced that talks about the importance of "Money Sinks" and a balanced economy in a MMO.

By removing the largest money sink in the game you have set yourself up for rampant hyper inflation, from the start.

Going "Oh well (mechanic) will resolve the problem" is pure speculation as nobody knows what will actually be in the game or how an interconnected economy will work. All you know is that there are $100,000,000,000 UEC in the economy already.

So what is going to happen to your ships is a devaluing by a factor of 10. Most likely you'll see UEC become $10,000 or $100,000 per $1 as people have so much UEC they can pay hundreds of thousands, or millions, for items they really want. So a rare purple quality "Space Laser XV" goes for $3m UEC, which in your mind is still $3,000 worth of actual money. Which is actually probably $30 at best.

Nobody will want your ships, much less rent them as the ship supply being in the millions already will vastly overshadow the actual player count of, being incredibly optimistic, 100,000-200,000 active players. Who all already have their own ships. Ships will be sold for practically nothing just so people can get something out of them as there is now no market for a $750/$750,000UEC Polaris and instead people are offloading them for $7.50/$7,500,0000 UEC.

This is all assuming the game even comes out. It's more plausible to me that the game actually releases than that your autism chariots will hold any value, at all.

Have you ever played an MMO and experienced economic fluctuations and hyper inflation of in game currencies before? Real games that actually exist with competent teams don't even usually try to set a dollar value to in game currency.

EVE has like 5 full time economists on staff with an incredibly robust economy that has existed for more than a decade and even then when I took a break from the game USD became 300%+ more valuable compared to ISK. Meaning I could pay $15 at one point and get $250,000,000 ISK, but later can pay $15 and get $950,000,000 ISK. Which changes all the time.

But sure, it's totally plausible that there will be a perfect $1 = $1000 UEC ratio of exchange making sure your autism chariot is still somehow worth three thousand dollars and you literally expect a 400% increase in price when any amount of logical consideration should be preparing you for a loss of value by 10 to 100 times or more.

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 16, 2017

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

how do you negotiate burritos with those pearly whites?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nobody will play a game where you either have to spend $1000 to fly Chris's equivalent of the Millennium Falcon or grind the hundreds of hours necessary to justify a $1000 price point for a convenience purchase.
Imagine ships still selling for hundreds to thousands of dollars in a game played by millions. This would be the best thing to ever happen with MMO's. Why? It would get rid of the gold farmers from every other game. Gold Farmers would flock to CIG--they'd be idiots not to. Theorycrafting about this on the RSI forums was always great fun. The solution was inevitably--Chris has it under control with his vision. Just like all control schemes will perform identically and NPC will be indistinguishable from players.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

his nibs posted:

how do you negotiate burritos with those pearly whites?
very carefully

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I am the goon who bought a game named Turducken 2.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So just checking in, word around the campfire is that the new Mass Effect is bad, therefore Star Citizen is...good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Remember when you were a kid and your parents would make hamburgers, but realize only too late that there weren't any buns? So you had to use regular white bread? And the grease and the bread would combine into this brownish-pink sticky substance that was impossible to get off your fingers?

What do you think washing Ben's clothes is like?