Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

So you Missou fans just read about Romar being fired right? I would liken Cuonzo to a younger Romar. He will ~usually~ put out above mediocre teams, every now and then he will manage to stay on the tourney-go-round for a full revolution before being popped off.

He is still very much in the Romar mold though, he will waste so much goddamn talent it will be sickening (if he recruits at Missou like he did at Cal). But if you guys have had years as bad as some of you have let on, then yeah I'm sure you will be happy with him. Personally he has never impressed me at Cal, but good on him for makin some money and going home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
e: oops double post

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 16, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ubiquitus posted:

So you Missou fans just read about Romar being fired right? I would liken Cuonzo to a younger Romar. He will ~usually~ put out above mediocre teams, every now and then he will manage to stay on the tourney-go-round for a full revolution before being popped off.

He is still very much in the Romar mold though, he will waste so much goddamn talent it will be sickening (if he recruits at Missou like he did at Cal). But if you guys have had years as bad as some of you have let on, then yeah I'm sure you will be happy with him. Personally he has never impressed me at Cal, but good on him for makin some money and going home.

Oh I'm pretty sure by around year 4 or 5 a sizable amount of the fan base will want him fired, and it wouldn't surprise me if I was one of them. But the last 5 years have been just painfully terrible--especially the last 3 years, the high point of which was a 10-21season. Before that Frank Haith was bringing in transfers instead of recruiting and torpedoing the school's APR and doing something or other than created NCAA sanctions (which he bravely ran away from to Tulsa literally a day or two after he found out). So for at least the first 3 years Cuonzo just has to not be awful, and if he sniffs the NCAA tournament it'll be a success.

Having said that we like to pretend we should be a pretty decent basketball school and feel like being in the tournament most every year and making a solid run every 4-5 years or so is a reasonable goal. Which would be a pretty big surprise if Cuonzo was able to do that.

I expect people to like him at first and then turn on him after a few years basically.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Your own personal Tom Crean.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Ubiquitus posted:

I don't think I can get too worked up. I have a feeling that he's going to keep his suitcase out and this will turn out to be Mike Anderson pt. 2.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LiquidFriend posted:

I don't think I can get too worked up. I have a feeling that he's going to keep his suitcase out and this will turn out to be Mike Anderson pt. 2.

This is kinda what I expected too when I thought about the idea of Cuonzo Martin before he was hired, but he's getting paid pretty well. He'll have to be pretty successful for someone to offer him enough to move on, or for a better program to want him. Which I guess would be a good news/bad news thing.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

This is kinda what I expected too when I thought about the idea of Cuonzo Martin before he was hired, but he's getting paid pretty well. He'll have to be pretty successful for someone to offer him enough to move on, or for a better program to want him. Which I guess would be a good news/bad news thing.
If things are kinda shaky his first couple years, don't be surprised to hear rumblings that he's looking at other opportunities.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Someone at work sent out a last minute email to fill out brackets on CBS Sports, but their website has crashed. I guess it's going to be like the two people who got in before the crash competing this year.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Yeah I have people in my pool on CBS who are angry since they can't make their last minute changes.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Coach Tom Crean is gone.

Archie? Marshall?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

gvibes posted:

Coach Tom Crean is gone.

Archie? Marshall?

Lmao I just saw that. About drat time.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

clap clap clap clap clap clap

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I wanted him to stick around since he's so terrible

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

indiana's haughty refusal to host an NIT game because it would tarnish the arena is still incredibly funny to me

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

indiana's haughty refusal to host an NIT game because it would tarnish the arena is still incredibly funny to me

they did it for the CBI in 2014 too, though in that one they just declined the tournament altogether for bitchy reasons

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

gvibes posted:

Coach Tom Crean is gone.

Archie? Marshall?

ALLLLLLLLLFFFFFFFFFFFOOOOOOORRRRRRRDDDDDD

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Poque posted:

they did it for the CBI in 2014 too, though in that one they just declined the tournament altogether for bitchy reasons

that's more understandable since the CBI isn't a real tournament and is only played in dank, underground Bloodsport arenas

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I respect Crean for what he did for our program, but it was definitely time for him to go. Hope he does well somewhere else.

Please just don't hire Alford now. :pray:

And believe me, IU fans are loving embarrassed and angry about the NIT thing too.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Should have grabbed Handsome Brad when they could have, now maybe they will go after the current Butler coach.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hire isaiah

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Eltoasto posted:

Should have grabbed Handsome Brad when they could have, now maybe they will go after the current Butler coach.
Yeah, that seems like it should be the floor for them.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Steve Alford was literally born to be a terrible Indiana basketball coach stop loving around and get it over with already. You've been dancing around it for like 20 years now.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Something tells me he is probably staying at UCLA

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

the current Butler coach.

no

no

MourningView posted:

Steve Alford was literally born to be a terrible Indiana basketball coach stop loving around and get it over with already. You've been dancing around it for like 20 years now.

NOOOOO :negative:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'm pretty confident that Fred Glass won't do anything real stupid.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

edit: wrong thread

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i fully believe Crean suffered from the Cutler Principle where a guy's sports career comes under 50% more harsh scrutiny solely because of his face

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

i fully believe Crean suffered from the Cutler Principle where a guy's sports career comes under 50% more harsh scrutiny solely because of his face

Robin Ventura had this at the Sox too. All my favorite teams have rid themselves of their strange-faced leaders :unsmith:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

They just need to find that perfect abusive rear end in a top hat that's good at coaching basketball, IU fans need a hero again.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Oh my god I would just lose it if Alford bolts for Indiana, he is undeniably the scummiest coach out here in the PAC

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Eltoasto posted:

NO! IU better stay the gently caress away from Holtmann.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

pubic works project posted:

NO! IU better stay the gently caress away from Holtmann.

Because you want him to stay at Butler or don't think he's good enough for IU? Other people are already trying to get him, he may be gone regardless. And as to the latter, being a top job is not a permanent designation.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Eltoasto posted:

Because you want him to stay at Butler or don't think he's good enough for IU? Other people are already trying to get him, he may be gone regardless. And as to the latter, being a top job is not a permanent designation.
pubic works project is a Butler poster

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

They just need to find that perfect abusive rear end in a top hat that's good at coaching basketball, IU fans need a hero again.

I have hope that this attitude fades away as the Boomer contingent of the IU fanbase does as well. Along with "only recruit Indiana (read: white) kids" and "no one-and-dones."

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

So excited to see Steve Alford coaching Indiana like he was destined to. Maybe he can bring a bunch of his old assistants with him.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

He could bring his dad back!

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Hahah, Minnesota.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Eltoasto posted:

I want him to stay at Butler of course. We've just now recovered from Stevens leaving imo.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Sup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Don't take Butler's coach, we need a non-offensive Indiana school to reliably get to the tournament so we always have rooting interests.

• Locked thread