Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can you use the pc->gameshark connection to upload saves on N64? There are a couple games I want to get 100% saves for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can you use the pc->gameshark connection to upload saves on N64? There are a couple games I want to get 100% saves for
I looked into this a little bit and it didn't seem like it was possible short of some insanely expensive/rare addons. What I was going to settle on, which I have not yet gone down the path of doing so yet, was to simply gameshark cheat my way to beating some of these older games that I lost saves to with as little effort as possible.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I believe you can do it with GSCC XP. GSCC XP also allows you to copy saves to and from the Controller Pak for sure (though it's a little unreliable, you sometimes need to try a copy twice, it also only addresses the controller paks in slot 1 and 2). You can also dump cartridge ROMs, take screenshots live from the N64, and temporarily freeze game execution entirely.

The software also works with Saturn and PlayStation 1 cheat devices with PC connections, and can do memory card copy and write on the PS1.

The downside is it really works best in Windows 98, although it'll still work in NT 4.x, Windows 2000, and Windows XP. You'll also need a real parallel port, the usb-parallel adapters they sell to use old printers don't implement the full port - though a parallel port on an ExpressCard, PCMCIA card (for older laptops) or general add-in card for a desktop PC will work fine.

http://fishmech.info/gscc_xp.7z Here's the program and associated files, since I'm sure the site I got it off of in 2002 or so is long dead.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Nate RFB posted:

I've usually felt that "Geese" without the G was the proper pronunciation.

And with a U instead of the last E. "Eesu"

Hard 'E' then 'sue'

'Ease' but with you at the end.

You should play more Ys

Do it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you want to be weeaboo in your pronunciation a "u" at the end of a word is silent. So it is just "eess." Please do not say "sue" or I will sue "you" and "you" should indeed play all of Ys.

Awesome 80s commercial goes here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huonYvnmAKw

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Turbinosamente posted:

I figured there were way more Gundam games than I could comprehend, I was mildly curious if any of the PS2 era ones were worth bothering with. Sound like a no especially since I'm not a fan of any of the series.

Encounters in Space is a very fun rail shooter-except-when-it's-not that plays like a jankier Star Fox 64. I feel pretty good about recommending it to someone who isn't a fan of the series, even though it does have some pretty spectacular fan service.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Ease (but more an S than a Z sound at the end). We know this because the Japanese pronounciation (イース) isn't ambiguous.

That and Ys is an actual celtic thing, not a nonsense word some Japanese person came up with.

Anyway, now that I've almost caught up with all of my work, I'm planning on modding my Famicom this weekend. Holding my breath and hoping I don't ruin it as I pull off thirty year old components...

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

al-azad posted:

If you want to be weeaboo in your pronunciation a "u" at the end of a word is silent. So it is just "eess." Please do not say "sue" or I will sue "you" and "you" should indeed play all of Ys.

Awesome 80s commercial goes here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huonYvnmAKw

That's more of a glottal stop than a full on drop tho

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

fishmech posted:

I believe you can do it with GSCC XP. GSCC XP also allows you to copy saves to and from the Controller Pak for sure (though it's a little unreliable, you sometimes need to try a copy twice, it also only addresses the controller paks in slot 1 and 2). You can also dump cartridge ROMs, take screenshots live from the N64, and temporarily freeze game execution entirely.

The software also works with Saturn and PlayStation 1 cheat devices with PC connections, and can do memory card copy and write on the PS1.

The downside is it really works best in Windows 98, although it'll still work in NT 4.x, Windows 2000, and Windows XP. You'll also need a real parallel port, the usb-parallel adapters they sell to use old printers don't implement the full port - though a parallel port on an ExpressCard, PCMCIA card (for older laptops) or general add-in card for a desktop PC will work fine.

http://fishmech.info/gscc_xp.7z Here's the program and associated files, since I'm sure the site I got it off of in 2002 or so is long dead.

Thank you for this! I happen to have a pentium D laptop with XP and a real parallel port just for this purpose! I'll try it out tonight because I am not 100%-ing goldeneye, SF Rush and Mario Golf again

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Random Stranger posted:

That and Ys is an actual celtic thing, not a nonsense word some Japanese person came up with.

Anyway, now that I've almost caught up with all of my work, I'm planning on modding my Famicom this weekend. Holding my breath and hoping I don't ruin it as I pull off thirty year old components...

Godspeed. I was planning the same but honestly I think I'm gonna gonna pay MB for it.

Also, pronouncing Ys as Eesu instead of Ees is on par with the people who pronounce Space Dandy as Spasu Dandy. Unless Japanese is your first language obviously.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Speaking of Falcom, I've been playing Xanadu (Saturn version, part of the Falcom classics) and it's kind of a fascinating game even if I don't know if I'm actually having fun while I play it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Thank you for this! I happen to have a pentium D laptop with XP and a real parallel port just for this purpose! I'll try it out tonight because I am not 100%-ing goldeneye, SF Rush and Mario Golf again

When you use it, make sure the first thing you do with it is to backup the code list already in the GameShark's memory, in case you hit the wrong button and overwrite it.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

MrLonghair posted:

We need to track down the origin. Ninja Warriors 1987 cannot be the first one with goofy poo poo written on the walls

I think Double Dragon started it, as it did most brawler trends. The NES version had GRIGR on a building, and I never understood why.

Anyway, don't forget to DRINK WILD SODA, even when the world's overrun by samurai zombies!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Kid Fenris posted:

I think Double Dragon started it, as it did most brawler trends. The NES version had GRIGR on a building, and I never understood why.

Anyway, don't forget to DRINK WILD SODA, even when the world's overrun by samurai zombies!

What timing, Sengoku was released on PS4 today :eng101: Japanese PSN, same 827 yen price Arcade Classic by Hamster. Unique and in my opinion great, story delivered like a Soulsgame, plays best with an arcade stick

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

What timing, Sengoku was released on PS4 today :eng101: Japanese PSN, same 827 yen price Arcade Classic by Hamster. Unique and in my opinion great, story delivered like a Soulsgame, plays best with an arcade stick

I believe it's other regions too, though I'd need to double check

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

univbee posted:

I believe it's other regions too, though I'd need to double check

You're right, just noticed it but it was put behind "latest releases" that aren't actual latest releases on my PSN store again.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

univbee posted:

Ease (but more an S than a Z sound at the end). We know this because the Japanese pronounciation (イース) isn't ambiguous.

The real challenge is telling people how to pronounce Gradius.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Star Man posted:

edit: I have come to decide you are absolutely correct, but the hard part is the "u" after "gradi"

Nancy fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 16, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Charles Get-Out posted:

edit: I have come to decide you are absolutely correct, but the hard part is the "u" after "gradi"

wut

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

cause it's an ウ like in moo and I don't think a lot of people like that

it's spelled like radius but the only vowel sound in common is the 'i'

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Charles Get-Out posted:

cause it's an ウ like in moo and I don't think a lot of people like that

A lot of people pronounce Gradius like "gray-deeus".

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
grah-dee-us.

Gradius.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Caitlin posted:

grah-dee-us.

Gradius.

:yeah:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ninja Gaiden

Suikoden

uh

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Star Man posted:

It should be Gladius, but they botched it when they put the name back into English. So if you assume that it should be pronounced like Gladius only with an "r" then gray-dee-us is correct. If you're of the opinion that three wrongs make a right (Japanese and English mangling the Latin and screwing up the English name) then grah-dee-us.

The real real challenge is "Ryu".

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

If I say it wrong I'm talking about Breath of Fire.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
If you're going to go through the trouble of vowel matching the front 'gradi' why don't you go whole hog and match the 'us' too.

edit: or just get people to say gladius I guess

Nancy fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 16, 2017

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Random Stranger posted:

It should be Gladius, but they botched it when they put the name back into English. So if you assume that it should be pronounced like Gladius only with an "r" then gray-dee-us is correct. If you're of the opinion that three wrongs make a right (Japanese and English mangling the Latin and screwing up the English name) then grah-dee-us.

There's theoretically a counter from the designer saying that is wrong and the similarity to "gladius" is coincidental, though the interview they mention here isn't ACTUALLY cited so grain of salt.

Strategywiki posted:

The title Gradius is thought to have been drived from the Latin term for a sword known as a "Gladius". A Gladius was a short sword used in ancient Rome by legionaries. However, the developers went with the name Gradius, and applied the name to the planet that was being attacked by invading aliens. Designer Kengo Nakamura has said in an interview that the chosen name's similarity to Gladius was coincidental.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Roy. Speaking of, now I'm going to watch Akira, that Kin-ay-duh really resonates with me.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

HKR posted:

Speaking of cool things:

https://gamehistory.org/dooly-bravo-land/

Stuff like this makes me wonder what classic games we might have missed out on from regions that didn't have a presence in the US/EU/JP game scenes.

Likely next to nothing. It is known in the arcade scene that the Korean games are pretty bad, unfortunately. We all groan when something from Afega or SunA or Philiko comes up in BBH's MAME roulette. I actually like most of Dooyong's Z80 hardware shmups, but I seem to be alone in this opinion.

Australia brought us fine products like Chicken Farm and Ripper Ribbit, both are amusing but only in a meme-y sort of way. I don't think I've ever heard anything good about a South American original game (this includes all the stuff for the Brazillian SMS). Four words - Russian ZX Spectrum Bootleg. I am unaware of any video game, period, that was ever developed by people in Africa or the Middle East (minus the programmer of the first few Final Fantasies).

The Kins posted:

Like "fleece" but without the "fl".

Yup, it's literally the first word in the US TGCD intro, and I just checked, they pronounce it correctly.

Imagine being a 9-year-old kid with one of those systems at launch in 1990 with it hooked up to a nice stereo. :tviv:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

There's theoretically a counter from the designer saying that is wrong and the similarity to "gladius" is coincidental, though the interview they mention here isn't ACTUALLY cited so grain of salt.

They called the second ship "Road British" so I think assuming they screwed up the R's and L's elsewhere is a reasonable assumption.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Random Stranger posted:

They called the second ship "Road British" so I think assuming they screwed up the R's and L's elsewhere is a reasonable assumption.

Yeah I always thought the "canon" name for the second ship was Lord British, I thought it got mentioned in one of the games or something that way

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Random Stranger posted:

Here's the quote from the translated interview on Shmuplations: http://shmuplations.com/gpg-gradius/

Nakamura Kengo posted:

The “Gradius” spelling

Although the word Gladius means short sword, we didn’t intend that meaning at all, and its just a coincidence. Several years later someone said to me, “doesn’t the title refer to a Gladius?”, and that was the first time I realized it. Even though it was just a coincidence, I remember being really surprised. (laughs)

And they drat well call it the Lord British.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Star Man posted:

Here's the quote from the translated interview on Shmuplations: http://shmuplations.com/gpg-gradius/

bless you for finding the interview for me

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Star Man posted:

What the gently caress there's four ships? :aaa:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Caitlin posted:

bless you for finding the interview for me

That entire site is a gold mine (and it's got stuff other than shmup-related). Read it all if you haven't already.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Ofecks posted:

That entire site is a gold mine. Read it all if you haven't already.

Oh no I love shmupulations, and I figured that's the place where the interview had to come from, but I'm at work so my researching is limited and I end up mostly shitposting instead :toot: but thanks~

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Code Jockey posted:

What the gently caress there's four ships? :aaa:

That's probably the manual from the later MSX games where you can pick different ships.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
If it isn't from the sword then you should insist on grah-dee-oos if you're gonna insist on proper pronunciation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Going down to the grocery store to get some Gradios. Comes with option marshmallows.

• Locked thread