Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't understand why any French politician would show how close they are to Trump, I thought the French hate all things Anglo-Saxon.

If we pray very hard, maybe Schulz can form a government without CDU involvement, ending Schäuble's reign of terror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Maybe the European populists haven’t caught onto the fact that Europeans don’t really like Trump that much?

Of course we don't, our Trumps will be much more refined and cultured to better distinguish them from the savage mohammedans. After all, they are the saviors of our culture!

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I don't understand why any French politician would show how close they are to Trump, I thought the French hate all things Anglo-Saxon.

For the current FN electorate, Trump's perceived ability to effect political change has probably more weight that their anglophobia. The FN hasn't really been campaigning on anti-atlanticism for a few years now anyway.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

Ah but mon ami Fillon's policies + wife are even more Anglo.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/16/school-shooting-in-french-town-of-grasse-sparks-terror-alert

Suspect arrested after school shooting in French town of Grasse

Another on the run, 8 wounded. Apparently not a jihadist but it's still fresh. How likely would a serious attack end up in President Le Pen?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Doesn't seem likely to change much IMO. People whose opinion would be swayed by that already made up their mind.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

A child from the Riviera arriving in school with "several weapons and grenades" is actually refreshingly traditional, as far as the modern news cycle goes

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

quote:

Germany and the Netherlands have been the principal targets of Turkish anger, after banning pro-Erdoğan rallies, but France has been inadvertently drawn into the row after confusion over Hollande’s surname. The French flag was burned during a protest in the city of Samsun and Erdoğan supporters targeted Hollande on social media.

lmao

Poor France, even by just existing their idiot president is being controversial.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Tesseraction posted:

lmao

Poor France, even by just existing their idiot president is being controversial.

Hollande still gets to order around a real military, unlike Holland.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

MeLKoR posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/16/school-shooting-in-french-town-of-grasse-sparks-terror-alert

Suspect arrested after school shooting in French town of Grasse

Another on the run, 8 wounded. Apparently not a jihadist but it's still fresh. How likely would a serious attack end up in President Le Pen?

Le Pen will never make President. Show me your map.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It's tiring when every time a crime happens people go "how likely is this crime to make everyone vote fascist".

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

I'm more interested in knowing if this failed Columbine poo poo will revive moral panics about Death Metal, video games and satanism.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I'm more interested in knowing if this failed Columbine poo poo will revive moral panics about Death Metal, video games and satanism.
Inshallah.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Gun control. Good thing the EU has that poo poo figured out already!

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

The more memorable moral panic for me was Ségolène Royal's bizarre crusade against anime. Was there even a French D&D controversy?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

The EU has gun control? I didn't realize they made laws at that level.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

mobby_6kl posted:

Agnosticnixie posted:

They voted in new gun control laws just yesterday.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

throw to first drat IT posted:

They voted in new gun control laws just yesterday.

Legislation doesn't exactly come into effect in 24 hours though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Agnosticnixie posted:

brussels inefficiency strikes again

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

lost in postation posted:

The more memorable moral panic for me was Ségolène Royal's bizarre crusade against anime.

She'd get my vote.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Agnosticnixie posted:

I would love to tell you when it actually comes into effect but this thing is some kind of platonic exercise in how annoying you can make a law to read. I mean, it starts with them not even voting for or against it, they are voting on whatever they want to reject it or not.

e: Or maybe they voted on rejecting part of commission proposals? I don't know, finnish MEPs voted both for it and against it.

throw to first DAMN IT fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 16, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The more memorable moral panic for me was Ségolène Royal's bizarre crusade against anime. Was there even a French D&D controversy?

Yes. Carpentras's cemetery vandalized in 1990. Moral panic "it's obviously role-players who did this during a satanical orgy, as the D&D books tell them to do!"

Turns out actually it was a band of skinheads (it was, of course, the city's Jewish cemetery that had been vandalized), but for some reason the cathos and other reacs preferred to blame nerds rather than neo-nazis.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affaire_de_la_profanation_du_cimeti%C3%A8re_juif_de_Carpentras

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

That was so weird, did she not have a childhood? I know from spending time at cousinss what french kids' tv is like and it was definitely not light on the anime.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lol Fillon's investigation will also include the suits he was given after all. They are actually trolling him

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Agnosticnixie posted:

That was so weird, did she not have a childhood? I know from spending time at cousinss what french kids' tv is like and it was definitely not light on the anime.

Anime wasn't a thing when Ségolène Royal was a child.
Hell, with the family she had, I'd be surprised if they had access to Salut Les Copains on the radio.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Agnosticnixie posted:

That was precisely what she was railing against. We imported a shitload of it cheaply (and dubbed it even cheaper); it was synonymous with very low-quality children's entertainment for a while here.

Cat Mattress posted:

Yes. Carpentras's cemetery vandalized in 1990. Moral panic "it's obviously role-players who did this during a satanical orgy, as the D&D books tell them to do!"

Oh, yeah! I remember JMLP (rather shamelessly) accusing the Muslims and commies of doing it but I'd forgotten about the satanist angle.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Agnosticnixie posted:

they just recently announced to porpose a europe wide registration of gun license owners

personally I think it'll fail to pass, but the intent is there

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

YF-23 posted:

It's tiring when every time a crime happens people go "how likely is this crime to make everyone vote fascist".

French farmer thinks life sucks, grabs shotgun, kills village mayor and ten other people before committing suicide (possibly by cop). WILL THIS MAKE THE COUNTRY GO FULL NAZI????

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

they just recently announced to porpose a europe wide registration of gun license owners
In most of europe legal guns are already licensed and registered. The directive that passed the commission a few days ago are just california-style window dressing (limits on mag size, limits on "evil black rifles" and other nonsense) to make it seem like they're doing something against terrorism. It will of course do jack poo poo against the real problem which is illegal weapons smuggled from former east bloc military caches.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

In most of europe legal guns are already licensed and registered. The directive that passed the commission a few days ago are just california-style window dressing (limits on mag size, limits on "evil black rifles" and other nonsense) to make it seem like they're doing something against terrorism. It will of course do jack poo poo against the real problem which is illegal weapons smuggled from former east bloc military caches.

EU farmer thinks life sucks, grabs ~assault rifle~ with ~folding stock~ and ~bayonet lug~, kills village mayor and ten other people before committing suicide (possibly by cop). WILL THIS MAKE THE CONTINENT GO FULL NAZI????

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Turns out actually it was a band of skinheads (it was, of course, the city's Jewish cemetery that had been vandalized), but for some reason the cathos and other reacs preferred to blame nerds rather than neo-nazis.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affaire_de_la_profanation_du_cimeti%C3%A8re_juif_de_Carpentras
Well, the shooter here is the son of a municipal council member elected under the label FN (but now Les Republicains), he is obsessed by the Columbine Massacre. So yeah it's definitively going to be D&d 5th edition fault, guys...

vvvv edit: or the new doom

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 17, 2017

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

The boy's name is Killian.
That's gotta be an extenuating circumstance.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

parental abuse imo

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

parental abuse imo
Is one of the two people he shot called Ian by any chance? Involuntarily Manchurian Candidate.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
How's Le Pen doing in France? Is France gonna be great again?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
She's got a significantly lower ceiling than Trump's floor, hth

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

personally I think it'll fail to pass, but the intent is there

Good thing the POS is falling apart

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Good thing far right nationalist groups won't notice this and use it as evidence that immigration is a secret invasion designed to destroy the West.

https://twitter.com/nytimesworld/status/842796949380251648

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Uncle Kitchener posted:

How's Le Pen doing in France? Is France gonna be great again?

It all seems to depend on how fiercely the other candidates can keep failing on their swords really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

I'm at work right now getting yelled at by rich people and Macron is having a meeting 200m away from me with a clear line of sight. This is infuriating.