Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Didn't some magazines use to have like, three reviewers to a game? I feel like having three numbers on a review helps remove that sense of objectivity.

I haven't seen that since I stopped reading print magazines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Harrow posted:

Hah poo poo, I didn't even mean you, whoops. I was just (stupidly) wading into comments and tweets about the Jim Sterling BotW shitstorm and came across a lot of people very stubbornly arguing that a 10/10 should be impossible and therefore anyone who gave BotW a 10/10 must be dishonest, paid off, and/or have low standards.

Like if Jim Sterling used Eurogamer's review scale of Essential > Recommended > no recommendation > Avoid, his review would've fallen square into "Recommended" and I bet nobody would've even noticed. And if Polygon used that scale, their 10/10 review would've fallen under "Essential," and I think there'd be a lot less room for those people to say "clearly a paid review because the game isn't perfect!" because "Essential" doesn't say "perfect."

That's a fair point and one of the ones I took away from the argument a while back. If you look at a 10 as "essential" instead of "omg perfect game," it opens things up and you stop getting too pissy about some dude giving a game you don't like a 10.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Paperhouse posted:

if you really enjoy a game then I think you should say it's a good game

if you don't enjoy a game it isn't necessarily a bad game - I don't enjoy eating fish but I don't tell everyone it is bad food and they shouldn't bother eating it

I'm not saying that you should tell people they shouldn't bother eating it.

I'm saying you should tell people it's bad, and not "well it's an objectively good tasting food, but I don't like it...". Just say "it's bad, I don't like (the flaky texture, the fishy taste, picking the bones out, the smell, etc)" and let them sort it out. Maybe they'll say "yeah me too but I eat it for the health benefits" or w/e, people are complicated.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it would also be nice if games critics the world over would just raise their media literacy to a level approaching decent

who is gaming's roger ebert

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

tap my mountain posted:

I don't know if I'm more surprised that Red Bull still exists in 2097 or that it existed in 1996

The very first Wipeout game back on PS1(1995) had in-game ads for Red Bull before they even sold it in the US.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Didn't some magazines use to have like, three reviewers to a game? I feel like having three numbers on a review helps remove that sense of objectivity.

The way Polygon does it, according to their review policy, is that whoever wrote the review doesn't assign a numerical score themselves. They write the text and then sit down with the editors and they figure out what score the text suggests. To me, that says they should just ditch the numbers and go for broader categories, but hey, I'm not an editor.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Looper posted:

it would also be nice if games critics the world over would just raise their media literacy to a level approaching decent

oddium

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Looper posted:

Probably actually Jeff Gerstmann.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Poops Mcgoots posted:

EGM had (iirc) 4 reviewers to every "big" game and actually made it a point to put a person who didn't like the genre in one of the review spots. I kind of liked that.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Maybe the leads on Andromeda all suffer from undiagnosed cases of face blindness and this is a cry for help?

Imho it looks like they're using source filmmaker to cut costs for cutscenes.

Idk about a game that's g1f5. But Vampires Kiss is one of my favourite movies of all time, it's the epitome of a Nicolas Cage movie.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

jeff doesn't like majora's mask 👎

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm saying you should tell people it's bad, and not "well it's an objectively good tasting food, but I don't like it...". Just say "it's bad, I don't like (the flaky texture, the fishy taste, picking the bones out, the smell, etc)" and let them sort it out. Maybe they'll say "yeah me too but I eat it for the health benefits" or w/e, people are complicated.

But that would be dishonest. I don't think bleu cheese is bad but I don't personally enjoy the funkiness it has. That doesn't mean it's bad. That means I don't like it. Those are two vastly different things.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

link your blog?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

And roger ebert had really bad taste in movies but he was still cool.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Looper posted:

I agree, but also want to point out you don't need a lot of media literacy to discuss 1-Frame Linking in the context of fighting game mechanics, or how important jungling is in the latest MOBA.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looper posted:

God drat I wish.

Are they over that "Citizen Kane of video games" kick yet? I suspect fully half of the people who wrote articles like that had never seen Citizen Kane, and the other half had no idea what makes Citizen Kane important and just use it as shorthand for "something good and important."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dewgy posted:

I really like Battlefield Earth, but it's definitely not a good movie by any definition. Good lighting and set design, terrible everything else, and it's wonderfully stupid. There's something about it that just tickles me, and I know it's in no way what the creators intended.

I don't really see how that's bizarre.

That's not bizarre, but not what I was talking about. I'm referring to people who say, eg, "Lady Gaga is my guilty pleasure" without meaning "because her music is stupid and terrible and I'm laughing at it".

It's a real thing that happens. I think people should just own what they like. It's kinda sad when people feel like they have to disclaim their enjoyment.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

oddium posted:

Jeff is right.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a kitten posted:

The very first Wipeout game back on PS1(1995) had in-game ads for Red Bull before they even sold it in the US.

In the late 80's/early 90's there was always an advert for Red Bull before the film when you went to the movies, I had no idea wtf it was when I was a kid.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

God drat I wish.

Are they over that "Citizen Kane of video games" kick yet? I suspect fully half of the people who wrote articles like that had never seen Citizen Kane, and the other half had no idea what makes Citizen Kane important and just use it as shorthand for "something good and important."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bloodychill posted:

EGM had (iirc) 4 reviewers to every "big" game and actually made it a point to put a person who didn't like the genre in one of the review spots. I kind of liked that.

Both systems are good, because I remember that but I also remember enjoying PC Gamer and how they had reviewers who were specialized. Like if you wanted to know whether this strategy/war game was great in the context of all strategy/war games, they had a dedicated columnist for those types of games every month.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The only fair way to name someone as gaming's Roger Ebert is to match him 1:1. So, which reviewer hates movies the most?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

G5F1 candidates

papers please
og bioshock
dreamfall the longest journey
syberia
fallout new vegas
this war of mine?? (just guessing i havent played it)
LISA
tembo the badass elephant, because of those fuckin gates

G1F5 candidates

FEAR 3
Singularity
Alan Wake's American Nightmare
RAGE
Bionic Commando 09
Marlow Briggs
Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth
The Darkness II
Deadfall Adventures
Judge Dredd Dredd vs Death
Max Payne 3

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I agree, but also want to point out you don't need a lot of media literacy to discuss 1-Frame Linking in the context of fighting game mechanics, or how important jungling is in the latest MOBA.

but those are good examples of video game literacy in the context of those genres! i think, i don't actually know what either of them are, which is why i don't feel comfortable discussing those kinds of games

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

precision posted:

That's not bizarre, but not what I was talking about. I'm referring to people who say, eg, "Lady Gaga is my guilty pleasure" without meaning "because her music is stupid and terrible and I'm laughing at it".

It's a real thing that happens. I think people should just own what they like. It's kinda sad when people feel like they have to disclaim their enjoyment.

Star Wars Episode 1 is a guilty pleasure for me

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

precision posted:

That's fair. I think "guilty pleasure" more means to a lot of people that it's an exception to their usual rules, but that also comes down to people being defined by the media they consume, which is pretty much equally goofy.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Harrow posted:

Are they over that "Citizen Kane of video games" kick yet?

Freespace 2 came out almost two decades ago, champ

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Famitsu does this but I think people complain about them always giving high scores or something

What's wrong with Max Payne 3

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Having to sit through the cutscenes

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Papers Please and This War of Mine are both F5G5 actually

Can't really define why they're so fun to play but they are

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Famitsu does this but I think people complain about them always giving high scores or something

They're the most blatantly paid reviewer and they don't really try to hide it anymore.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Yeah MP3 is a solid G1F5

It'd be the greatest shooter ever made if you didn't have to sit through the same story every time

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

oddium posted:

the objectively perfect game is mgs3. thank you for reading

actually it's ninja gaiden black

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

tap my mountain posted:

Yeah MP3 is a solid G1F5

It'd be the greatest shooter ever made if you didn't have to sit through the same story every time

metroid prime 3 isn't that fun

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
MP3 had absolutely insane production values, and even though the cutscenes were a pain they were designed to mask the loading times on the 360/PS3, which was pretty brilliant. Even the weird data structure of that game was designed around being streamed from a disc, and even though it's inefficient on other platforms it was still really clever.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
New Vegas was more of a G5F2. I actually had fun shooting poo poo in that game. Deus Ex 1 might make a better G5F1.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it should be illegal to give two games the same acronym

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i really really really really did not like the shooting in new vegas

but you're right, deus ex in terms of fun has not aged well

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

metroid prime 3 isn't that fun

It pains me every time people abbreviate Shadow of Mordor and I take a second to realize they're not talking about Secret of Mana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bloodychill posted:

New Vegas was more of a G5F2. I actually had fun shooting poo poo in that game. Deus Ex 1 might make a better G5F1.

actually deus ex is perfect

• Locked thread