Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I'm nearing the end of the second playthrough and can't wait for the 3rd playthrough to go back to the strong point of the gameplay loop but I was expecting a lot worse from the second playthrough. 9S is a lot less kinetic but sweeping attacks with Iron Will are very effective, just don't use it to counterattack, always use the Pod. Also don't forget to attach a secondary attack to the pods.

Someone mentioned problems mashing Square at what I assume is the second run, but I'd recommend going between Square and Triangle, especially at the later monk fights and the golden boys.

just hack everything, it's way easier. you can cheese pretty much every fight by just hacking stuff over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Sakurazuka posted:

Does it actually fail all your quests? I got to a bit where it forces you to do the main plot line and all the sidequest markers disappeared but they were back after I finished that bit.

I've had a few quests I was in the middle of get disrupted by story progression. When they showed back up some were where I left off, others were reset completely. I can only imagine it's because of Yoko Taro scampering about like some game design goblin and inserting gameplay oddities when the Platinum devs weren't looking.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Lakbay posted:

I bought the witcher 3 expansion pass on a whim and I'm redownloading the main game currently, is the season pass a separate download?

For some games buying the Season Pass just unlocks downloading the DLC. I think Witcher 3 does that. Go to the PSN store and manually download both the expansions, they should be free if you have the season pass.

Be sure to get all the free armor DLC too.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

I've had a few quests I was in the middle of get disrupted by story progression. When they showed back up some were where I left off, others were reset completely. I can only imagine it's because of Yoko Taro scampering about like some game design goblin and inserting gameplay oddities when the Platinum devs weren't looking.

It looks like it depends on if it's a longer ongoing quest or if the quest is segmented into smaller quests. Wandering Couple and the Engels quest both reset for me but the robo monk quest kept it's progress into the second run.

E: I should clarify the second Engels, where you have to talk to him a few times at the ends

Trojan Kaiju fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 16, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well, I bought Horizon. The intro was... interesting. "Hey Aloy, these are people who seem might they might be important throughout the main plo-oh wait, they all just got hosed up by gunfire along with your adoptive father goddamn :stare:.

Any recommendations for weapons? I'm enjoying shoving the Rattler into the face of Watchers and Scavengers.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You're going to be forced to use everything early game, it's a nice design decision (except the limited weapon wheel)

A couple of weapons drop off in usefulness later in the game though

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well, I bought Horizon. The intro was... interesting. "Hey Aloy, these are people who seem might they might be important throughout the main plo-oh wait, they all just got hosed up by gunfire along with your adoptive father goddamn :stare:.

Any recommendations for weapons? I'm enjoying shoving the Rattler into the face of Watchers and Scavengers.

Later in the game you'll always want to have at least one weapon for pure damage, one weapon for status effects (freeze, lightning etc.), one weapon for tear, and a free slot for something like ropecaster or a second bow. How you choose to balance that is up to you but by the time you reach Meridian you'll have access to almost every weapon type in the game. It's not a very loot-oriented sort of progression.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

Later in the game you'll always want to have at least one weapon for pure damage, one weapon for status effects (freeze, lightning etc.), one weapon for tear, and a free slot for something like ropecaster or a second bow. How you choose to balance that is up to you but by the time you reach Meridian you'll have access to almost every weapon type in the game. It's not a very loot-oriented sort of progression.

What does tear actually cover? Ripping parts off Machines, I assume? And the Ropecaster's definitely a keeper. Had some real fun nailing down the Corruptor and just beating it to death with my spear.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Tear rips off armor plates, yeah. There are two bow types that can do it effectively, a unique weapon you get halfway through the Hunter's Lodge questline called the Tearblaster, and the Ropecaster too I guess but you really want to stick handling mods in there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Toilet Rascal
Tear lets you remove stuff from machines more quickly with the tradeoff of not taking much off their health bar.

Also you don't want to attack machines you tie down with the ropecaster, it's more to get them out of your hair and reduce the number of things attacking you at once. Attacking them cuts the ropes much faster.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 16, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Trojan Kaiju posted:

It looks like it depends on if it's a longer ongoing quest or if the quest is segmented into smaller quests. Wandering Couple and the Engels quest both reset for me but the robo monk quest kept it's progress into the second run.

E: I should clarify the second Engels, where you have to talk to him a few times at the ends

Yeah. That's the heart of it.

If the quest is in your quest log under active quests when you reach the point of no return, it'll reset as if you never picked it up when you go back on the next playthrough.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Nier Automata has 21 gag endings, five proper endings. Also I HIGHLY recommend clearing up 6 slots for Death Rattle for your Ending C run, it just feels right. Always quicksave when using fast travel because it isn't a temp save it's just faster than going to the other menu, quick.

Also lol goons "These characters who just met sound really awkward around each other!"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Can i get rewards for side missions in nioh again for repeating them?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What does tear actually cover? Ripping parts off Machines, I assume? And the Ropecaster's definitely a keeper. Had some real fun nailing down the Corruptor and just beating it to death with my spear.

The trip wire is super useful early on when you are weak. Less so later on when you are hitting for a ton of damage.

I used it a ton for the first 20 hours or so.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Yep

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Okay so I'm getting slightly annoyed with horizon currently so figured I'd ask while we are on the topic
Does the health on mobs just jump up like crazy when you get to the second real zone?
I have all shadow weapons with mods, my sharpshooter bow is rocking a 36% and 48% dmg modifier plus something else
Even with triple shooting into the weak points of mobs i feel like way more of my combat is dodge, use tripcaster, stun set on fire and now put 10 to 20 arrows in it
I go for elemental weaknesses and all that but feels very grind heavy currently

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

Yes and no. The rewards change after the first time you do it. Most missions have rewards that are only available the first time you complete them, and then rewards that are available every time you repeat them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Okay so I'm getting slightly annoyed with horizon currently so figured I'd ask while we are on the topic
Does the health on mobs just jump up like crazy when you get to the second real zone?
I have all shadow weapons with mods, my sharpshooter bow is rocking a 36% and 48% dmg modifier plus something else
Even with triple shooting into the weak points of mobs i feel like way more of my combat is dodge, use tripcaster, stun set on fire and now put 10 to 20 arrows in it

I would suggest to use more tear arrows to rip off vulnerable compartments, inflict freeze/burn with grenades to exploit elemental vulnerabilities, and to git gud.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I would suggest to use more tear arrows to rip off vulnerable compartments, inflict freeze/burn with grenades to exploit elemental vulnerabilities, and to git gud.

I open with the....arrow from the sharp shooter that knocks off pieces, switch to triple fire arrows as it runs into traps for whatever weakness and then sharpshooter arrows to finish

Maybe I'm not using the right tear attacks?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Many of the bots have elemental canisters that make them go kaboom when torn off, aim for those. Also past a certain point the ropecaster becomes much better than the tripcaster at disabling bad guys.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Samurai Sanders posted:

Holy lol.

edit: did the first Nier have that many gag endings and I never knew?

One, of four total. It has an ending where it erases the world into a void, item by item in your inventory, then erases all your save games, and prevents you from ever using the same character name on future new games. No joke.

I swear this game has shittier facial tech than ANYTHING David Cage has ever put out.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

One, of four total. It has an ending where it erases the world into a void, item by item in your inventory, then erases all your save games, and prevents you from ever using the same character name on future new games. No joke.
:psypop:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

If you're curious at all about the original NieR, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8xx4sT6rEI

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just stumbled into the last ending of Nier and that game's loving amazing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I swear this game has shittier facial tech than ANYTHING David Cage has ever put out.

Your face has bad facial tech, chu!

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

It is the final ending though, the game is fairly clear with you that you can't go back.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

bloodychill posted:

Your face has bad facial tech, chu!

I literally have no idea how I got this av. I posted in a Xenogears SSLP but don't remember arguing with anyone...and that was like 6 years ago.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

You have to do absolutely everything 100% in the game to unlock it (which is a pretty good grind) so you'll probably never want to touch it again at that point anyway . And there's narrative justification for it

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

You don't have tp to 100% it. I forgot one quest before the timeskip, so 98% completion was all that was possible.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

goferchan posted:

You have to do absolutely everything 100% in the game to unlock it (which is a pretty good grind) so you'll probably never want to touch it again at that point anyway . And there's narrative justification for it

Well not really. You don't have to do a good chunk of sidequests. I didn't do that ridiculous moon flower grind and I got that ending.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You only needed all the weapons, you didn't even have to upgrade them.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

kirbysuperstar posted:

You only needed all the weapons, you didn't even have to upgrade them.

A cakewalk compared to Drakengard.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Liver Disaster posted:

A cakewalk compared to Drakengard.

No kidding. It took me and my then partner..a very long time to even get access to Ending E, nevermind clearing that loving last fight.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Tripcaster is not that great and I only ended up using it like twice in the second half of the game to zone out fights against a bunch of humans.

Freeze is the master damage elemental. If you tear the armor plating on a weak spot (glowing orange) and freeze them, you will do massive damage with your next attack. I think my highest with one draw (triple shot sharpshooter) was 1400 damage.

Also on any machine with tearable weapons, use that poo poo, it does so much damage it's not even funny

Also, since we're on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpyMsKA84QQ

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the slingshot replaced the tripcaster for me immediately

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

now that I've beaten nier and got the plat, all I can say is that square better not let this yoko taro/platinum games collab be a one time thing

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't like the slingshot at all. I know I'm in the minority there but I was happy pretty much just using the 3 bows with the very occasional ropecaster. Tripcaster felt invaluable to me in the early game when everything feels like it has a ton of life and kills you in 2 hits. It definetly tapers off though. I didn't use it once after around lvl 20.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't like the slingshot at all. I know I'm in the minority there but I was happy pretty much just using the 3 bows with the very occasional ropecaster. Tripcaster felt invaluable to me in the early game when everything feels like it has a ton of life and kills you in 2 hits. It definetly tapers off though. I didn't use it once after around lvl 20.

Nah, I was in the same boat except replace 3 bows with "rattler."

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

What the gently caress is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I dumb nevermind