Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
time to buy some that seems jerky suitable since i'm not a whisky/bourbon drinker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jose posted:

time to buy some that seems jerky suitable since i'm not a whisky/bourbon drinker

Early Times all the way. The best cheap whiskey.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm in the UK i'll just buy aldi own brand

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
vacuum sealing the ducksciutto for a month did wonders.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

If anyone needs a tiny meat fridge:

http://deals.kinja.com/get-your-own-fancy-rear end-wine-fridge-for-just-70-1792173478

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Not exactly a charcuterie topic, but this seems like a good thread for this. Anybody ever experiment with making flavored salts? I recently stumbled upon a simple shallot salt recipe that I'm going to try but I'd be curious to try others.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lifts cats over head posted:

Not exactly a charcuterie topic, but this seems like a good thread for this. Anybody ever experiment with making flavored salts? I recently stumbled upon a simple shallot salt recipe that I'm going to try but I'd be curious to try others.

i've not made this but i know chicken salt is common in australia

http://luckypeach.com/recipes/australian-chicken-salt/

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Jose posted:

i've not made this but i know chicken salt is common in australia

http://luckypeach.com/recipes/australian-chicken-salt/

I'm going to assume that makes everything taste like Chicken in a Biscuit crackers.

I want some.

holttho
May 21, 2007

If you put a shallow metal dish with kosher salt and a few dabs of water in your grill as you cook whatever, you'll get smoked chicken/fish/sausages/corn on the cob salt. It's pretty quick and easy.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Finished up the shallot salt last night. Turned out pretty good although next time I'll up the ratio of shallot. For anyone who's curious it was pretty easy:

Mince 1 medium shallot
Mix with 2/3 cup kosher salt (next time I'll do this all by weight to be more precise)
Cover and refrigerate 5 days, stirring daily
I dried it out by putting it in a thin layer in a casserole dish, put it in a cold oven and slowly increased temperature up to 400 until it was dry.
Grind in spice/coffee grinder.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

So I bought a meat slicer from a local buy and sell group and did the Ruhlman duck breast prosciutto to test it out.

Results
Meat slicer works well. Those peeps at the deli make slicing look a lot easier than it actually is. The spinning blade is scary as gently caress when trying to clean it.

The prosciutto itself tastes a bit soapy though. I'm wondering if it's because I was using sea salt as opposed to a kosher salt or table salt...

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

The slicer looks good. I have a cheap one and even that makes a huge difference, especially when it comes to whole muscle meats. I probably ought to start looking for a good deal on a used commercial slicer.

sinburger posted:

Meat slicer works well. Those peeps at the deli make slicing look a lot easier than it actually is. The spinning blade is scary as gently caress when trying to clean it.

Tell me you're not actually trying to clean the blade while it's spinning. Right?

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Tell me you're not actually trying to clean the blade while it's spinning. Right?

Absolutely not, I unplugged and disassembled all the parts before cleaning them. But the blade stays attached so I need to rotate it by hand to clean it off.

sinburger fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 1, 2017

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Zombie Dachshund posted:

You guys don't clean your deli slicer by soaking a loaf of bread in soapy water and slicing it a few times? Amateurs.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

sinburger posted:

Absolutely not, I unplugged and disassembled all the parts before cleaning them. But the blade stays attached so I need to rotate it by hand to clean it off.

You phrased it a little unclearly; I figured, though you never know...

The blade on mine comes off so I can clean it pretty easily. But slicing soap-bread is clever and I'll bear it in mind once I upgrade! :thumbsup:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I couldn't tell if the soap-bread thing was serious.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Whether it was serious or not, that is how I will be cleaning my slicer exclusively in the future.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Pulled a couple of new goodies from the chamber today: on the left is a sweet lonza, and on the right, lamb prosciutto. In the middle is the last little bit of some simple salami that I've been enjoying for a while now.

This is the first time I've done a bone-in lamb leg. Last spring I used a boneless Costco leg to make a prosciutto that just about blew my mind. This time around I bought a lamb from a local farmer. I was pretty psyched to do a whole leg. The result was... interesting. There's a really deep, pronounced lamb flavor, some nutty funky flavors (even a little banana flavor, of all things). Honestly, I preferred the earlier one though, and if I do it again (I have the other leg in the freezer), I'll salt and spice it a little more aggressively to get it more to my liking, flavor-wise.

Anyway, still good and definitely a nice snack for a Saturday afternoon, especially with a glass of wine.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

You guys don't clean your deli slicer by soaking a loaf of bread in soapy water and slicing it a few times? Amateurs.

When I worked in a deli we'd just soak down the blade on either side with soapy water and use a good scrubby sponge to get it nice and clean. Its perfectly safe as long as you're not dumb enough to try to clean the blade head on. I dunno if soapy bread is any improvement on a sponge but it seemed to get the blade cleaned just fine when I used it. Also, unplug the slicer before cleaning, just in case that wasn't obvious.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
OK I'm going to cure my first meat ever, making pastrami and the first step is making corned beef. Got 3 more or less evenly sized bits and one insanely stuffed cat from trimming this thing:

I used the recipes and calculators on amazingribs.com for the brine cure. He says not to stack meat because it works to double the thickness of the meat essentially, but I got this plastic spacer thing actually meant to go on the bottom that I put between two of the pieces that should allow water to flow freely. Although now the lowest piece of meat sits against the bottom. I dunno should I just flip it around every day or put something underneath to allow the brine to flow around it evenly?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Yeah, give it a flip/toss/shake daily or so and you'll be fine. You're curing all the way through the meat so it'll still get there eventually just takes longer if there's no direct contact with the brine liquid.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

And with homemade katz style deli (or so the recipe claims)

micron
Nov 15, 2005

Anyone have any experience using UMAI bags like these?

There's tons of videos produced by the manufacturer and also by home users.
https://youtu.be/2IR5OIyXxow

The question was asked a few years back with no reply and I'm curious. I don't really have access to any sort of drying compartment etc.

They also have bags large enough for dry aging steaks but I'm skeptical of this process, but if I could make some ok sopressata I'd be cool with that.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Let's talk some bacon.

I found a local folk meat market and am going to splurge a bit on belly (5-15lbs).

Besdies the savory Rhulman (Here or Charcuterie/First Post), a the sweet-hot brown sugar bacon (Here), and maybe a pancetta, what are some other cure flavors you guys have come up with?

I'm likely going to smoke finish them over apple or cherry (or both).

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The Ruhlman maple bacon over hickory is all I ever do anymore.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

micron posted:

Anyone have any experience using UMAI bags like these?

There's tons of videos produced by the manufacturer and also by home users.
https://youtu.be/2IR5OIyXxow

The question was asked a few years back with no reply and I'm curious. I don't really have access to any sort of drying compartment etc.

They also have bags large enough for dry aging steaks but I'm skeptical of this process, but if I could make some ok sopressata I'd be cool with that.

I'm skeptical because she is using a dull paring knife to trim the beef and then what looks like a fillet knife to cut it open.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm skeptical because she is using a dull paring knife to trim the beef and then what looks like a fillet knife to cut it open.

This is irksome.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

toplitzin posted:

Let's talk some bacon.

I found a local folk meat market and am going to splurge a bit on belly (5-15lbs).

Besdies the savory Rhulman (Here or Charcuterie/First Post), a the sweet-hot brown sugar bacon (Here), and maybe a pancetta, what are some other cure flavors you guys have come up with?

I'm likely going to smoke finish them over apple or cherry (or both).

I like to play around when I do bacon. I'll typically split the belly into two pieces and make a savory and a sweet cure.

Both cures use the basic Ruhlman cure. For savory I've had good success with paprika, pepper, cayenne, and maybe some ground cumin and coriander. For the sweet cures I like mixing up syrup or brown sugar with cardamon.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

In retrospect I didn't like that home made bacon as much as the usual stuff. Just not salty enough. Most US based internet recipes I have tried seem to have been a lot less salty than traditional Finnish cold smoked charcuterie, not that I have any recipes to compare, only going by taste. I have been going to amazingribs.com for recipes but maybe not in the future

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

This weekend is one of the largest community yard sales for my city. Every year I consider buying either a mini-fridge or wine fridge with the hopes of converting it to a curing fridge. Looking for honest opinions, is this a realistic goal? I'm not experienced with changing electric components of something like a fridge but I'm good at following step-by-step directions and I've seen several online for just this sort of thing.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

This weekend is one of the largest community yard sales for my city. Every year I consider buying either a mini-fridge or wine fridge with the hopes of converting it to a curing fridge. Looking for honest opinions, is this a realistic goal? I'm not experienced with changing electric components of something like a fridge but I'm good at following step-by-step directions and I've seen several online for just this sort of thing.

Just don't stick a human leg in it.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Do you have space for a full-sized fridge? If so, don't mess around with a mini-fridge. Go on Craigslist, buy a frost-free model (or a standing freezer, which is actually better), a humidifier and a hygrostat/thermostat. It will work way better than a wine or dorm fridge, there is no need for any wiring or electrical equipment and the whole setup will be under $200.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Do you have space for a full-sized fridge? If so, don't mess around with a mini-fridge. Go on Craigslist, buy a frost-free model (or a standing freezer, which is actually better), a humidifier and a hygrostat/thermostat. It will work way better than a wine or dorm fridge, there is no need for any wiring or electrical equipment and the whole setup will be under $200.

Unfortunately I don't have the space right now. I'll keep that in mind because I'm hoping to move in the next year so unless a perfectly priced one is found I might pass.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Just bear in mind that many small fridges (like dorm fridges) aren't frost-free, which makes controlling humidity a hassle. I suspect a wine fridge is a better bet but I've never used one. Ultimately it may depend on what you're trying to make: duck prosciutto will work in pretty much any environment, but I wouldn't want to use a dorm fridge to make salami or coppa, for example. Good luck!

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

My wine fridge was rife with moisture. It works really well for wine though.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Just don't stick a human leg in it.

No, the problem is you gotta take the sock off. Those are just rife with bacteria that'll ruin your cure.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How long does Nduja usually last for because amazon are selling a 3kg tub for £33 i'm tempted by

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

If you vacuum seal it it will last a long time- at least a year and probably longer than that. Not vacuum sealed, it will dry out but I don't know how long it will take.

Nduja takes a while to eat so I'd hesitate. Maybe you have a buddy to split it with?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I just discovered a local butcher has some wild boar belly. Have any of you ever made wild boar bacon? If so, thoughts/suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

I just discovered a local butcher has some wild boar belly. Have any of you ever made wild boar bacon? If so, thoughts/suggestions?

Yrs. It's not very fatty so it ends up being very thin.

• Locked thread