Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
204 Ron Ansell, 205 The Sydney Ducks, 140 The Pig War
Also ny sanitation, airships, when the cars came, iraq war, lapd, boston busing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I remember someone in this thread (or maybe the Comedy Podcast megathread) recommending I start with The Rube and buddy they weren't kidding.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The Rube - baseball's idiot prodigy
The Talk Board - the origin of Ouija boards
The Mad Gasser - a mass hysteria mystery
More University and One Taste - sex cults and for-profit sex cults
The Three Jesuses - mentally ill persons who think they're the same religious figure meet each other
When The Cars Came - the introduction of the automobile to society / people are dumb and just can't stop getting hit by cars
The Toxic Woman of Riverside - a woman dies and a mystery unravels

The Torture Psychologists is very good, too, and kind of important now since the US istrying to bringbringing back torture and for-profit prisons.

Is The Newport Sex Scandal the episode where all of the homophobic officers go undercover to infiltrate gay communities by "becoming" gay? Because that episode is insane.

I like the ones with the "supernatural" bent best. The early episodes are really funny because Gareth hasn't become a broken and jaded person yet, so he gets very upset and filled with outrage.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Franchescanado posted:

Is The Newport Sex Scandal the episode where all of the homophobic officers go undercover to infiltrate gay communities by "becoming" gay? Because that episode is insane.

It is. It's definitely a must-listen.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gibfender posted:

It is. It's definitely a must-listen.

I think I'm going to re-listen to it. The levels of irony are so deep, the people so oblivious to their backward logic and sexual repression.

So good.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Franchescanado posted:

I think I'm going to re-listen to it. The levels of irony are so deep, the people so oblivious to their backward logic and sexual repression.

So good.

It's not even really relevant to the episode, but the opening anecdote about how one smart lawyer got his client off on a fellatio charge is loving astounding.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I don't give a single poo poo about sports but I always finds the sports related dollops to consistently be the most interesting.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Rochallor posted:

It's not even really relevant to the episode, but the opening anecdote about how one smart lawyer got his client off on a fellatio charge is loving astounding.

That was one thing that I wish they had brought more attention to, just because of how much of a brilliant piece of lawyering that was. For those who don't remember: His client was arrested for being caught performing fellatio. The lawyer took advantage of a hardcore nativist law that had just been passed that forbade the use of any non-English word in a legal setting (to prevent foreigners from passing laws with parts of their own language in it). Because the word fellatio wasn't in any English language dictionary the court could find, it was judged to not be an allowable term, and thus not a crime, and the guy got off scot-free.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ants don't have big visible ears.

Alright, I have bigger problems now that we're fighting mandrills. What is even going on.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 16, 2017

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Midnight Voyager posted:

Ants don't have big visible ears.

Alright, I have bigger problems now that we're fighting mandrills. What is even going on.

You're listening to the story of England's greatest golfer!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Savidudeosoo posted:

Alright, yeah, I'm in love now. Clearly the best golfer.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Macquarie island is good in a horrified reaction way. I also liked the bowling one.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

If we're doing this then my first Dollop was Action Park. I haven't seen it mentioned but thought it was a pretty good episode.

Like someone else mentioned, the "guy in the 1800s" stories can get a little tiresome, but there are a few gems in that category as well.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

I love the Macquarie Island episode so much. Every time Wil starts yelling in frustration and horror, it makes my day.

I love the Australia episodes and anything dealing with the Fenians. Also, the Rube. I found out he's buried near where my parents live, so I'm planning to see about visiting his grave next time I drive to San Antonio.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Fenians are such an amazing running sub-plot

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Savidudeosoo posted:

I'm glad the trip at the end wasn't to gently caress the guy over or anything. It's admiral as hell to keep at something you blow at just for the love of it.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

TROY ATLANTIS

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/03/david-damato-dead-tickled-villian-died-1201794767/

Ding dong, the Tickle king is dead... unless he faked his death like a loony.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

DrManiac posted:

It's admiral as hell

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
To anyone who has listened to the Dumb People Town episode: is it worth going through? I love, love, love Dave and Gareth on other podcasts normally, but it was just five dudes constantly trying to talk and it made my brains crazy.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
No, I don't recommend Dumb People Town. I listened to 4 episodes before I skipped to their dollop guest episode. That was their best one I heard. Every episode has two sets of 5 minute ad breaks and a masturbatory level of backpatting between the hosts and guest. It breaks the flow of their goofy stories too much.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've been enjoying the recent trend of Gareth breaking away from the story for a 3-5 minute detour about a strange story that happened to him.

Gareth is great.

Also, late to the party, but that 2 hour Bertcast episode with the guys is really really good, and I've never listened to Bertcast before. So many great stories. I want to see Gareth's travel channel show.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Are there any hidden gems in the 15 minutes of crowd noise at the end of the morrisonite episode?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

stealie72 posted:

Are there any hidden gems in the 15 minutes of crowd noise at the end of the morrisonite episode?

it descends into radio music for most of it, pretty clean recording too

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

I've been enjoying the recent trend of Gareth breaking away from the story for a 3-5 minute detour about a strange story that happened to him.

Gareth is great.

Also, late to the party, but that 2 hour Bertcast episode with the guys is really really good, and I've never listened to Bertcast before. So many great stories. I want to see Gareth's travel channel show.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well. What the heck, Iceland?!

I like how they kept coming back to Necropants.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 24, 2017

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I genuinely didn't think they were actually playing in Iceland. I thought it was the new signing cars.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
But they do sign cars.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The dollop is and always has been about Americans doing crazy things and talking about those crazy things that would be stupid to do.

I'm looking forward to getting my car signed in Detroit.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Not Operator posted:

I genuinely didn't think they were actually playing in Iceland. I thought it was the new signing cars.

He said a while back that his agent got him some sort of ridiculously cheap flight to/from Iceland which is why they were doing it. It's random as hell but hey.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

He said a while back that his agent got him some sort of ridiculously cheap flight to/from Iceland which is why they were doing it. It's random as hell but hey.

I think there was something with a tax deduction that made it so that doing a show there cost less money than just sitting at home and drinking a beer that night.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

prefect posted:

I think there was something with a tax deduction that made it so that doing a show there cost less money than just sitting at home and drinking a beer that night.

Since they're doing a comedy show there, they can write it off as a business expense.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

BeigeJacket posted:

TROY ATLANTIS

That may be my favourite episode in a long time just because of the happy ending.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
drat, Gareth must have sucked down a ton of helium before recording those commercials with Dave.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

For some reason I've been imagining Dave looks exactly like Mike Stoklasa and Gareth looks like Jay Bauman. I've never seen photos of them and I've just been seeing them in my mind like they're on a Half in the Bag set.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

KinkyJohn posted:

For some reason I've been imagining Dave looks exactly like Mike Stoklasa and Gareth looks like Jay Bauman. I've never seen photos of them and I've just been seeing them in my mind like they're on a Half in the Bag set.

I imagine Dave looks like Artie Lange used to, before he got super-turbo-unhealthy.

And I imagine Gareth looks like Gareth from the UK Office.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

KinkyJohn posted:

this is accurate.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KinkyJohn posted:

Dave was a regular on Maron as one of Marc's friends, and in the final season Gareth makes a cameo in one episode.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Listening to episode 20 about the kid who built the nuclear reactor and then AC/DC I wonder, if that kid had been born at an earlier time in history do you think he would have been an accomplished, respectable scientist?
It really is a shame that he was so smart and determined to accomplish his goal but couldn't apply himself in school.
Also I'm surprised he never faced any legal consequences for building the reactor.

Iron Crowned posted:

Dave was a regular on Maron as one of Marc's friends, and in the final season Gareth makes a cameo in one episode.

Speaking of that what are some good episodes of Maron's show to start with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Listening to episode 20 about the kid who built the nuclear reactor and then AC/DC I wonder, if that kid had been born at an earlier time in history do you think he would have been an accomplished, respectable scientist?
It really is a shame that he was so smart and determined to accomplish his goal but couldn't apply himself in school.
Also I'm surprised he never faced any legal consequences for building the reactor.

I mean, he did end up looking like this:

So maybe that was punishment enough?

Turns out he passed away September 2016 at the age of 39 from alcohol poisoning. I don't remember this getting mentioned by Dave.

Man, the Dollop has such high re-listening value.