Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
We need to exterminate most of the wild horses and send them to a butchery to revitalize the horsemeat market. They are a non-native, ecologically destructive species in the American west. Support the horsemeat factories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Why isn't that printed on a saddlebag?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

therobit posted:

We need to exterminate most of the wild horses and send them to a butchery to revitalize the horsemeat market. They are a non-native, ecologically destructive species in the American west. Support the horsemeat factories.

Brief reminder that rich horse ladies successfully managed to fund and promote a statewide initiative to not only make this illegal, but punishable as a crime. It also made it illegal to have horses shipped out of state for this purpose.

Supporters of Proposition 6 spent $1,206,835. The top contributors to pass the measure were:

Sue Maloney Stiles: $200,000
Sherry Ellen Deboer: $180,000
Sidne J. Long: $125,000
Tina Long: $125,000
Political Animals PAC: $80,927
MPL Communications, Inc.: $71,000
Friends of Animals Inc.: $63,305
Comm. for Prop 6 Sponsored by the Humane Farming Action Fund: $21,000
Humane Farming Association: $20,000
Phoebe Hearst Cooke: $20,000

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

spwrozek posted:

The state of Colorado has 20 charity type things you can voluntarily donate to when you do your taxes. Here is Number 19:

19. Unwanted Horse Fund
It's not horses, but in the UK there is a charity called the Donkey Sanctuary whose entire purpose is caring for donkeys. They buy them, care for them, and rehome them to responsible owners. It got so successful at solving the problem in the UK that it now works internationally to save donkeys. It get almost 20 million pounds a year from people leaving it money or donating, just for donkeys.

I mean I don't want donkeys to suffer and die as a general rule but it gets a staggering amount of money.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Ashcans posted:

It's not horses, but in the UK there is a charity called the Donkey Sanctuary whose entire purpose is caring for donkeys. They buy them, care for them, and rehome them to responsible owners. It got so successful at solving the problem in the UK that it now works internationally to save donkeys. It get almost 20 million pounds a year from people leaving it money or donating, just for donkeys.

I mean I don't want donkeys to suffer and die as a general rule but it gets a staggering amount of money.

Save dat rear end,

Seriously though doing taxes today and I came across someone who made a 5,000 donation to a Equine Rescue Charity or something... so yeah I find the Donkey Charity pulling in 20,000,000 that eminently reasonable.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 16, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

Support the horse, so he doesn't think he saw a bee and dies.

Also because he broke his leg tripping over a pebble. So he need to live in a sling until it (never) heals.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I feel kind of bad posting this, but a guy I know from High School posted this on Facebook. It's GWM in spirit, but probably going to be BWM.

Just a tiny but of content to try and get us off horse taxes derail.

quote:

PRAYERS ANSWERED! I got a $4,000 bonus! Bullshit government took half, but my boss says I'll get it back with the refund.

I've got 2000 on hand right now. Does anyone know of a good financial advisor in the area who is open on the weekends? Not gonna just yelp someone.

Thx peeps!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Brief reminder that rich horse ladies successfully managed to fund and promote a statewide initiative to not only make this illegal, but punishable as a crime. It also made it illegal to have horses shipped out of state for this purpose.

Supporters of Proposition 6 spent $1,206,835. The top contributors to pass the measure were:

Political Animals PAC: $80,927

drat PAP smear campaigns.

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I feel kind of bad posting this, but a guy I know from High School posted this on Facebook. It's GWM in spirit, but probably going to be BWM.

The only financial adviser open on a weekend is going to be a guy who blew his own money on blow and needs a client right now to keep the party going.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Ashcans posted:

This is the classic example of why charity has problems replacing welfare systems. Donkeys are cute as gently caress and attract lots of donations. Middle-aged schizophrenic humans aren't even remotely cute and don't attract donations. But it's rather more important *and expensive* to take care of the latter.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's me, I'm the bullshit government.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

How do you even gently caress up payroll to the point where they withhold at 50% tax rates and then refund all of it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bonuses have special tax treatment. I thought it was 25%, though.

E: oh, probably aggregate method

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

ate all the Oreos posted:

How do you even gently caress up payroll to the point where they withhold at 50% tax rates and then refund all of it?

I'm guessing it's exaggerations on both sides. Bonuses are typically withheld at a much higher pay rate - often 28% - because payroll software is treating it as though that's your typical pay. When you add in FICA, and sometime state and local taxes, that can be or exceed 40%. He'll get *some* of that back most likely in his refund unless he's well into the 28% bracket already.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nail Rat posted:

p
I'm guessing it's exaggerations on both sides. Bonuses are typically withheld at a much higher pay rate - often 28% - because payroll software is treating it as though that's your typical pay. When you add in FICA, and sometime state and local taxes, that can be or exceed 40%. He'll get *some* of that back most likely in his refund unless he's well into the 28% bracket already.

No, they're taxed higher because they aren't being taxed as regular pay. It's the supplemental wage classification that triggers it. Payroll software can all handle bonuses.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've had bonuses withheld at 42%, but I think that includes FICA, Social Security, state, and federal deductions.

And yes, you usually get about 10 to 15% of that back depending on your tax bracket.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I've had bonuses withheld at 42%, but I think that includes FICA, Social Security, state, and federal deductions.

And yes, you usually get about 10 to 15% of that back depending on your tax bracket.

Effective marginal tax rates for California tech workers are mid 40s, right? 33% bracket federal, 9% state income tax and that's before you even think about FICA.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Effective marginal tax rates for California tech workers are mid 40s, right? 33% bracket federal, 9% state income tax and that's before you even think about FICA.

45% is pretty easy to hit with AMT + 10% state bracket. AMT is basically unavoidable given how high state and possibly city taxes are.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

BarbarianElephant posted:

This is the classic example of why charity has problems replacing welfare systems. Donkeys are cute as gently caress and attract lots of donations. Middle-aged schizophrenic humans aren't even remotely cute and don't attract donations. But it's rather more important *and expensive* to take care of the latter.

Even animal charities themselves are BWM. Most domestic animal related charities could do more good by not housing animals at all and focusing their resources on education and political action. Of course, it's easier to get donations and volunteers if you have a shelter full of cute puppies and kittens.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Bonuses have special tax treatment.

Huh, didn't know that! All the bonuses I've ever gotten were adjusted so that my company paid the tax (or at least so that after taxes it comes out to a nice pleasing round number that is equal to the amount of "bonus" I was told I was getting beforehand) and while I saw the withholding on the stub I didn't bother to actually check the ratios or anything.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

Huh, didn't know that! All the bonuses I've ever gotten were adjusted so that my company paid the tax (or at least so that after taxes it comes out to a nice pleasing round number that is equal to the amount of "bonus" I was told I was getting beforehand) and while I saw the withholding on the stub I didn't bother to actually check the ratios or anything.

They aren't taxed differently, they are just withheld in a funny way. Once you file your taxes and get your refund/pay your bill, it's exactly the same as if you just had a higher salary all year.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Twerk from Home posted:

What is a "tech worker?" Is it only software engineers or senior engineers working for Amazon / Google / Apple / etc...?

I guess I'm not very informed as to how much people make, but the handful of people I know who worked at big tech firms weren't software engineers and were maybe getting close to $190K of compensation at the senior level but that's if they could code while not technically being a software engineer. And there are obviously plenty of people who aren't at those companies but still consider themselves "tech" or people at those companies who can't code.

Maybe I should be more mad about taxes, but I really don't even think about my gross pay except when it comes to tax time. My check cashes for a certain amount and that's what I budget for.. And I'm probably not leaving CA as this is where all the jobs and people and nice weather is. CA taxes may be high, but yeah, more desirable things tend to be more expensive than less desirable things. I really feel for the people who are trying to make it here who aren't so financially lucky, but I'm always confused when people making good money are furious about taxes. I make more than I would ever really need, and I'm certainly not making $190K+. I'm also happy to pay for general physical and social infrastructure. There are things I hate that the government does with my money, but that's kinda the deal I make to live in a society and I'd rather spend my time thinking about all the fun things I'm going to do with my time and money. What buffoon looks at their gross pay and is like "I should get every single cent of that!"?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
IIRC, California has special legal provisions for "Computer workers".

"Tech workers" include Uber drivers (Or at least they self-include in the category) so it's way too broad.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I like that California has a 1% surtax to fund mental health programs, and that it only applies on marginal above $1M. I think that's really good tax policy.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

Droo posted:

They aren't taxed differently, they are just withheld in a funny way. Once you file your taxes and get your refund/pay your bill, it's exactly the same as if you just had a higher salary all year.

Yeah bonus money shows up on your W-2 the same as your regular salary.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

brugroffil posted:

Yeah bonus money shows up on your W-2 the same as your regular salary.

It's always been added to my gross pay.

I understood the withholding to be higher as a just-in-case that the additional income from any bonus could place it in a higher tax bracket. It's sucks that it usually ties up money until a tax refund, but personally I'd rather get more back than have to send money come tax time, BWM or not.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Droo posted:

This is correct.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

BWM: Not understanding how your withholding can differ from your actual tax liability.

SlapActionJackson fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 16, 2017

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

SlapActionJackson posted:

BWM: Not understanding how you withholding can differ from your actual tax liability.

:( Ask me why I owe the IRS $18,000 this year

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:( Ask me why I owe the IRS $18,000 this year

Why do you owe the IRS $18,000 this year?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Did you cash out a bunch of investments to buy a horseboat?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

MrOnBicycle posted:

All I have to say about that is that people who are married yet keep their financials separate are loving weird.

Disclamer: There is always some exception to the rule etc.
Every couple I've ever met who keeps their finances separate has clear trust issues with their partners. Whether it's distrust with infidelity, bad spending habits, secret spending habits, etc. Or sometimes they keep things separate out of some weird, misplaced sense of pride ("I don't need mah wife's money!"). And it's illogical, because just a Nail Rat said:

Nail Rat posted:

Your finances will magically become pretty integrated in a divorce so they may as well be integrated in marriage.

And most banks set up their account options in such a way that it's more beneficial to join up the accounts than keep them separate. ie. minimum monthly balances for fee waivers, minimum balances for family investing accounts to waive quarterly fees, online banking interfaces that are just much easier to use if accounts are joined up, etc. They do this because it gives them a chance to anchor in additional business from the other spouse and their family members.

So if people go out of their way to keep their finances separate, there's almost always some strange reasoning behind it. And if you're a financial advisor that dares ask them about their separated account arrangement, they flip their poo poo 99% of the time as if you insulted their mother. I've seen clients who knowingly pay two separate account fees despite the fact that a less expensive, joint option is available. Separated accounts in marriages touches a deep nerve with a lot of people.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 16, 2017

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

melon cat posted:

So if people if out of their way to keep their finances separate, there's almost always some strange reasoning behind it.

My husband and I have been together since 2005. Got married 4 years ago. We're just lazy as gently caress. It's easy to keep doing the same poo poo we did before we were married. I don't see any benefit for me to go through the effort of closing a bunch of my accounts and him closing his and then doing the whole joint account thing. The last time I tried to close a bank account, suntrust tried to charge me for it. Kinda soured me.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I don't think keeping your premarriage accounts is what they mean. My husband and I have our premarriage accounts because we're lazy but we also budget off of it like it's one pool of money... because we're lazy.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Keeping your accounts separate is not the same as keeping your finances separate. There are reasons to keep your own accounts, whether that is inertia or because you don't want to have your discretionary spending show up as line items on the household budget every month. We combined all our accounts and then afterward decided that having individual accounts for our discretionary spending was good, because that way we can buy things like gifts and surprises without them showing up in Mint/statements and tipping each other off.

That's very different from keeping your finances separate, which would be if you don't know what your partners income/savings/debt/retirement look like and just manage your own with a huge blank spot there.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

silicone thrills posted:

My husband and I have been together since 2005. Got married 4 years ago. We're just lazy as gently caress. It's easy to keep doing the same poo poo we did before we were married. I don't see any benefit for me to go through the effort of closing a bunch of my accounts and him closing his and then doing the whole joint account thing. The last time I tried to close a bank account, suntrust tried to charge me for it. Kinda soured me.
What you're doing is completely different from what I'm talking about, though. I'm talking about the couples that keep things separate in a really rigid fashion. Because it sounds like you and your husband still treat both your earned income as if it's household income (despite having separate accounts). The people that I was referring to definitely don't do that. They track down to the dollar is "mine" and which dollar is "yours".

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My sister and her husband take the "roommates" approach to finances. She bought the house, he writes her a check for half the mortgage/the utilities every month. She pays the property taxes outright.

They have their own shelves in the fridge and go through separate checkout lines at the grocery store.

They're weird but it works for them. Doesn't seem to be related to a lack of love or trust or anything, they just like having their Own Stuff?

I bet all this crap goes out the window when people have babies. 2 hours of sleep a night for 5 years and you're not gonna bust out your checkbook for the $1.37 milk and cereal reimbursement.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My sister and her husband take the "roommates" approach to finances. She bought the house, he writes her a check for half the mortgage/the utilities every month. She pays the property taxes outright.

They have their own shelves in the fridge and go through separate checkout lines at the grocery store.

They're weird but it works for them. Doesn't seem to be related to a lack of love or trust or anything, they just like having their Own Stuff?

I bet all this crap goes out the window when people have babies. 2 hours of sleep a night for 5 years and you're not gonna bust out your checkbook for the $1.37 milk and cereal reimbursement.

Unless there's a pre-nup involved, the statement "Your finances will magically become pretty integrated in a divorce so they may as well be integrated in marriage." applies perfectly.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Unless there's a pre-nup involved, the statement "Your finances will magically become pretty integrated in a divorce so they may as well be integrated in marriage." applies perfectly.

*Only valid in community property states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

*Only valid in community property states.

Even in an equitable distribution state, it applies as a general rule to marital assets...even a personal savings account with $150k can all become marital assets if you continue to deposit or withdraw money from it after marriage.

Also if the split is too uneven, a sympathetic judge can still screw you over. If you've been keeping each other apprised of your finances from the beginning, you won't have to go through the long and expensive process of discovery and can just agree to a settlement agreement.

I mean, in those states - thankfully I'm in one - it's not split down the middle especially taking into account length of marriage, etc., but it is integrated.

edit: and yeah, always prenup. If I ever get married again I will not listen to "that means we're just getting married to get divorced and I'm not :downs: " because I've heard that before.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 16, 2017

• Locked thread