Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

widespread posted:

For some reason, I've been wanting a game with a "fun" grind. Like, basically, numbers go up and it feels good. But at the same time, I want something more than clickers.

For reference, I've a 3DS, PS4, and a PC that should run a good amount of poo poo.

I think you want Elder Scrolls Online. It can be played as a casual single player game for like 80% of it, and you can hang out with goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Can someone recommend some online game that can be played casually (10-20 minutes here and there), and where you make some meaningful progress as you go along? It can be a hardcore game I guess, as long as it can also be played more casually. Also, it should be possible to play single-player, but if there's automatic matching with others, then that's fine also. And lastly, no MMORPG's, I've had enough of them for a while I think.

I played Warframe a little, and liked it I guess, it seemed to tick all these boxes. Didn't hold me for that long for some reason though.

And bonus points if it has a goon community and/or a thread here!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sjonkel posted:

Can someone recommend some online game that can be played casually (10-20 minutes here and there), and where you make some meaningful progress as you go along? It can be a hardcore game I guess, as long as it can also be played more casually. Also, it should be possible to play single-player, but if there's automatic matching with others, then that's fine also. And lastly, no MMORPG's, I've had enough of them for a while I think.

I played Warframe a little, and liked it I guess, it seemed to tick all these boxes. Didn't hold me for that long for some reason though.

This is out of left field, but: Fallen London? I like wordy multiplayer games. :shobon:

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Millennial Sexlord posted:

Possibly the Anno games could scratch that itch. It's all about setting up supply chains and automating production to grow your settlement.

Oh yea, I love Anno 1404 very much.

OperaMouse posted:

A bit dated, but maybe check out Patrician 3 or 4.

I actually have both of these as well as Port Royale 3 but I couldn't really get in to them. I may try again because they do seem to fit my criteria well.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What kinda games are there that are based on the Supreme Commander formula that follow it closely/are good, but aren't older than Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance?

I tried and didn't like Supreme Commander 2, Planetary Annihilation and Ashes of the Singularity.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dongattack posted:

What kinda games are there that are based on the Supreme Commander formula that follow it closely/are good, but aren't older than Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance?

I tried and didn't like Supreme Commander 2, Planetary Annihilation and Ashes of the Singularity.

You're screwed in that regard. Forged Alliance Forever maybe, so you can keep playing SC:FA? At a stretch, Sins of a Solar Empire? I'd also suggest taking a look at the Wargame series although they're a lot more groggy than Forged Alliance.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I'm looking for a good, first person melee monster type game. I enjoyed playing as a demon in Dark Messiah, a first-person Werewolf mod in Skyrim, and... well, I enjoyed playing an Alien in Alien vs Predator, before the massive motion sickness kicked in.

Basically, I'm looking for a game where I can either pick up a weapon, or bring up my fists, and smash people into walls. There's some kinda weird viking game coming out where you jump around and maim people, but that'll not be out for a while.

The Katana challenge from Superhot is also pretty good. Dishonored was ok, but I'm going to wait for Dishonored 2 to work well on PC before considering getting it (and even then, I hear it still heavily favors non-lethal, which is kinda not what I'm looking for). I tried Zeno Clash, but... well, it was awkward as all get out. Anyone got some good ideas for my power trip?

Phlegmish posted:

For an online melee game, you could check out Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. You don't play as a monster, but there's lots of gore and violence, and you feel like a badass once you get good.

Then there's Mordhau, which should be coming out next year and is in the same medieval fighting vein.

I know I'm bringing up an old post, but if you're still looking for a game like this, the aforementioned Mordhau finally put up its Kickstarter, and it's pretty successful so far. It's looking like it certainly delivers in the brutal first-person combat department. I also still stand by my Chivalry recommendation, I love that dumb game so, so much

Then there's The Darkness II, which I can't believe I didn't mention the first time around. You play as a demon-man who murders his enemies in various horrific ways. It actually made me a bit uncomfortable at times. Sounds like it fits the bill.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Natural Selection 2 is monstrous aliens vs humans, and is fun and probly cheap now.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Sjonkel posted:

Overwatch? Quickplay games take only 10-15 minutes.

There's also F2P online collectible card games, Gwent being my poison. Other options are Hearthstone, Elder Scrolls Legends, Eternal, Duelyst, Hex: Shards of Fate, Faeria. Truth be told I personally can't recommend Hearthstone with its current terrible new player experience but since it's the biggest CCG it has to be mentioned. Online CCGs have quick 5-15 minute long games that reward you with currency that you can use to buy booster packs, or simply buy packs with money. Slap cards on the board, fill your collection, admire card art, that sort of thing. edit: many of these are or will be available on mobile platforms.

Trogdos! fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 15, 2017

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Millennial Sexlord posted:

Possibly the Anno games could scratch that itch. It's all about setting up supply chains and automating production to grow your settlement.

Yeah, Anno is a great empire game, i'd also suggest "Banished"

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
What PC game should I get if I want to play an action RPG that's a) actually good and b) has really good graphics?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

sean10mm posted:

What PC game should I get if I want to play an action RPG that's a) actually good and b) has really good graphics?

I *think* NieR: Automata should fall into this category

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Witcher III owns and looks good. The combat is not amazing, though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Doom

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

sean10mm posted:

Rise of the tomb raider

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

sean10mm posted:

Witcher 3, without a doubt.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

sean10mm posted:

Metal Gear Revengeance and Dark Souls 3.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Are there any games like Fight Night on PC? Basically boxing games that have that same kind of thumbstick control scheme? I found it very satisfying.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Asked this a couple weeks ago and never got a response- I gave Rogue Legacy another shot after bouncing off of it on my first go, and now I'm jonesing for some Metroidvanias on PC, perhaps more Vania than Metroid (so RPG mechanics rather than straight exploratory platforming). I'm sure there are a shitload of these out there, but what are the best ones?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

C-Euro posted:

Asked this a couple weeks ago and never got a response- I gave Rogue Legacy another shot after bouncing off of it on my first go, and now I'm jonesing for some Metroidvanias on PC, perhaps more Vania than Metroid (so RPG mechanics rather than straight exploratory platforming). I'm sure there are a shitload of these out there, but what are the best ones?

How amenable are you to roguelikes

Because Vagante is fun as gently caress, very underrated, and meets your criteria

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a First Person Shooter that's extremely fun, and doesn't have you take forever to buy and unlock poo poo to play with. I can't ever get it out of my head that's why I'm losing, even if it's not true.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for a First Person Shooter that's extremely fun, and doesn't have you take forever to buy and unlock poo poo to play with. I can't ever get it out of my head that's why I'm losing, even if it's not true.

My dude have you tried DOOM 2016?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evilreaver posted:

My dude have you tried DOOM 2016?

Yes I wanted a multiplayer shooter.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
overwatch

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Turtlicious posted:

CS: GO

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

quadrophrenic posted:

How amenable are you to roguelikes

Because Vagante is fun as gently caress, very underrated, and meets your criteria

Roguelikes are OK by me but I've never heard of that. I'll keep an eye on it, thanks.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Valdis Story has some of the worst writing and character design I've ever seen, but otherwise it's very much a metroidvania with strong RPG aspects and neat combat.

Also, as ever, Iji isn't exactly a metroidvania but it scratches a lot of the same itches and it's phenomenal and free.

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010
Looking for some games I can play without having to be super focused and attentive. Something to relax with, maybe play while leaning back away from the desk a bit or with only the mouse. Maybe slower paced games or turn based but less thinking that a Civ/4X type.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

5thMouseButton posted:

Looking for some games I can play without having to be super focused and attentive. Something to relax with, maybe play while leaning back away from the desk a bit or with only the mouse. Maybe slower paced games or turn based but less thinking that a Civ/4X type.

Hitman GO and Lara Croft GO are pretty neat little puzzle games that might be worth a look. You only need a mouse (or controller), everything is turn-based, and the levels are short.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

5thMouseButton posted:

Hexcells.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

5thMouseButton posted:

Anno 2070 is awesome for that. Can disable combat and competitors, so you can focus on building your stuff, tweaking, watching supply and demand, tweak another bit and then expand some when you're happy with that.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What are some hard games like Hotline Miami and Furi that have no leveling and a great soundtrack? No platformers please

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

nachos posted:

What are some hard games like Hotline Miami and Furi that have no leveling and a great soundtrack? No platformers please

Bastion and Transistor come to mind. Also Hyper Light Drifter.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Dark Souls. Just don't level up.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

nachos posted:

How do you feel about roguelites? Maybe check out Enter the Gungeon or Nuclear Throne for something similar to Hotline Miami. Nuclear Throne has very light levelling in that you pick a trait every once in a while but neither is a bit ol' RPG or anything.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Is there anything that plays like Darkest Dungeon (combat heavily focused on positioning, dungeon exploration isn't a goddamn maze) that doesn't have the roguelike pressure? I hated how you could do everything right and the game would still poo poo all over you, because lovecraftian atmosphere.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

So, I really loving loved games like Myst 1-4 and the Journeyman Project series; I know there were a jillion clones churned out in the early-mid 90s, but were any of them particularly great?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

So, I really loving loved games like Myst 1-4 and the Journeyman Project series; I know there were a jillion clones churned out in the early-mid 90s, but were any of them particularly great?

I don't know if you were on an Apple system growing up or not but Pegasus Prime (the full 3-D remake of the original JP) was finally given a PC port only a couple years ago. Definitely worth checking out if you're a big Journeyman Project fan.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/359420/

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Other than Alpha Protocol, are there any good Sterling Archer simulators on the market?

Preferably spy-related, main character definitively a high-functioning smartass jerkface. Must be funny.

I guess Bulletstorm counts, but there's only so many times I can play that heavenly dick-killing rear end in a top hat machine.

double nine fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
I know this thread usually has a Q&A format but I'd just like to take a moment to recommend Thea: The Awakening to anyone and everyone.

In my mind It's basically the spiritual successor of King of Dragon Pass, loads of great events but now with some semblance of balance instead of hilarious RNG. Also loads of crafting.
I havent enjoyed a game this much since SMAC and Arcanum.