Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
First night in Project Ozone 2 was a blood moon, so I turned them off in the configs so I won't be getting any more. I think it has that thing enabled where vanilla tools break after a single use, so I set up the Tinker's construct tables, and looks like I can't make any tools out of just wood. So I've got nothing to defend myself from the mobs that remain in the daytime. By the time I've dealt with them, it's night time again. At least now I've gotten enough string to make a bed, so I guess I'll just never let it be night again until I have some kind of perimeter fence set up. Will it rain in this ice world, or am I going to need some other method to get water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

greententacle posted:

First night in Project Ozone 2 was a blood moon, so I turned them off in the configs so I won't be getting any more. I think it has that thing enabled where vanilla tools break after a single use, so I set up the Tinker's construct tables, and looks like I can't make any tools out of just wood. So I've got nothing to defend myself from the mobs that remain in the daytime. By the time I've dealt with them, it's night time again. At least now I've gotten enough string to make a bed, so I guess I'll just never let it be night again until I have some kind of perimeter fence set up. Will it rain in this ice world, or am I going to need some other method to get water?

Why not try digging down and making your base under the ice? Much easier than making a wall. It will not rain on the ice world, and the ice all around will not melt from torches. You will need to go exploring to find a meteor, it will have normal ice around it that you can melt.

You should turn blood moons back on though, its half the fun!

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

greententacle posted:

Use a glass bottle on the water source block from the florb to get a water bottle. Use the water bottle on a barrel to get a filled barrel. Use a bucket on the filled barrel to get another water source block. Iron is super common from sifting.

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

greententacle posted:

I believe flint is the first usable material for toolheads. It's pretty common from sifting gravel, but you can just 1:1 it from putting gravel in a crafting window.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
GRIMDARK is a reponse to getting bored with the current lineup of FTB packs, they're really not pushing any boundaries or doing anything new. They also won't include too many mods, especially not ones that add *gasp* entities!!!1. I can only assume this is a desire not to upset the fragile ecosystem of lovely re-sold Minecraft server hosting plans, so you end up not getting exposure to all that's available. It includes everything in those packs and more, so it's also possibly the most up to date collection of available 1.10.2 mods, 280 of them. There's recipe changes made to showcase the different mods, which I'm expanding to put it somewhere between normal and "expert mode" difficulty.

The pack actively encourages you to gain resources through exploration, combat, and automation but that doesn't mean you can't stripmine if you find it relaxing. I thought that after 8 years of mining some people might want an alternative that isn't a skyblock.

frenzy fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 16, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

frenzy posted:

GRIMDARK is a reponse to getting bored with the current lineup of FTB packs, they're really not pushing any boundaries or doing anything new. They also won't include too many mods, especially not ones that add *gasp* entities!!!1. I can only assume this is a desire not to upset the fragile ecosystem of lovely re-sold Minecraft server hosting plans, so you end up not getting exposure to all that's available. It includes everything in those packs and more, so it's also possibly the most up to date collection of available 1.10.2 mods, 280 of them. There's recipe changes made to showcase the different mods, which I'm expanding to put it somewhere between normal and "expert mode" difficulty.

The pack actively encourages you to gain resources through exploration, combat, and automation but that doesn't mean you can't stripmine if you find it relaxing. I thought that after 8 years of mining some people might want an alternative that isn't a skyblock.

That sounds pretty cool. What is the best way to get this?

Nevermind I'm dumb I found it in your post history, thank you

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 16, 2017

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
The nice thing about getting lost in the Nether the first time is that it at least lends itself to lots of massive, ridiculously memorable landmarks. Hard to lose track of that skyscraper-sized lavafall you've been slowly circling for the last hour and a half.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Gonna give that Foamfix mod a try. Any modded game after 1.9 just got slower and slower on my celeron laptop w/intel video.
So I am always in search of something to make it faster. Unmodded isnt too bad but modded just crawls.

On my second try now. I am trying the Futures Edge modpack 10.2 but after a 40 minute load time it crashed with a Malisis doors error.

e: Bah, 2nd crash. I will try again later.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 16, 2017

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I wish EssentialCraft was updated for 1.10.2.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

OgNar posted:

Gonna give that Foamfix mod a try. Any modded game after 1.9 just got slower and slower on my celeron laptop w/intel video.
So I am always in search of something to make it faster. Unmodded isnt too bad but modded just crawls.

On my second try now. I am trying the Futures Edge modpack 10.2 but after a 40 minute load time it crashed with a Malisis doors error.

e: Bah, 2nd crash. I will try again later.

Malisis on 1.10 seems to crash with the latest version of Optifine if you're using that. Roll back to an earlier version. Also, do what I did and try turning off mipmaps once you load the game up.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
I'd really like it if Regrowth and Project Ozone got updated to 1.10.2 playing them in 1.7 is fine but I feel like some of the mods they use have had some nice tweaks in 1.10 and it would be interesting to see them updated.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

I'd really like it if Regrowth and Project Ozone got updated to 1.10.2 playing them in 1.7 is fine but I feel like some of the mods they use have had some nice tweaks in 1.10 and it would be interesting to see them updated.

Yeah no there's no way for Regrowth to be 'updated' to 1.10. There's no: Thaumcraft, Witchery, Magical Crops, Mariculture, Buildcraft? Railcraft? Millenaire? AcademyTech or whatever it was called? (Magical Crops was superceded by Mystical Agriculture but still.)

Additionally, Blood Magic in 1.8+ is completely overhauled from 1.7.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

A lot of the included mods are not available for 1.10 or aren't stable there. They'd pretty much have to be new modpacks.

I've been working on a pack myself but I keep hitting mod conflicts and performance issues I have to dig deep to solve, and the current flagship pack for 1.10 (FTB Beyond) is full of issues.

Also last time I tried 1.10 Blood Magic it caused really bad runaway chunkgen.

quote:

Also, do what I did and try turning off mipmaps once you load the game up.
Just to be clear though, this is not actually a 1.10 bug, it's that mipmapping disabled itself in all previous versions if a single badly sized texture was loaded - basically always. So in 1.7.10, the mipmapping setting does essentially nothing, in 1.10 it has the correct effect and the appropriate extra VRAM used.

Threep fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 16, 2017

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Black Pants posted:

Yeah no there's no way for Regrowth to be 'updated' to 1.10. There's no: Thaumcraft, Witchery, Magical Crops, Mariculture, Buildcraft? Railcraft? Millenaire? AcademyTech or whatever it was called? (Magical Crops was superceded by Mystical Agriculture but still.)

Additionally, Blood Magic in 1.8+ is completely overhauled from 1.7.

Oh I'm aware not everything is available and that's why it hasn't been updated. It's more just wishful thinking.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Black Pants posted:

Malisis on 1.10 seems to crash with the latest version of Optifine if you're using that. Roll back to an earlier version. Also, do what I did and try turning off mipmaps once you load the game up.

Probably Optifine then. I will go back a version or 2 and try again later, thanks

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Black Pants posted:

Railcraft's been updated to 1.10, but yeah the rest haven't.

I don't think any of the "big" magic mods have been updated to 1.10 apart from Botania and Psi.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I need some advice. I developed a beautiful, compact, elegant machine that doesn't work as I intended at all.

This is a setup for automating Thermalilies. In theory, every six minutes the Floating Hourglass up at the top will flip, triggering the Fountains to release a bucket of lava from the lava generator, feeding the four Thermalilies. In practice, whenever I load the tank manually, the fountains go off immediately. Neither that position for the hourglass nor a block lower to activate the Redstone Relays fixes the problem.

It's sort of a moot point, because I don't currently have enough power generation hooked up to produce 4 buckets of lava in six minutes, but I'd like to have it set up properly before hooking up more power. I could set the hourglass to activate the servo out of the tank instead, but I don't know if a basic servo will transport enough during the period the hourglass is active.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 16, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Dareon posted:

I need some advice. I developed a beautiful, compact, elegant machine that doesn't work as I intended at all.

This is a setup for automating Thermalilies. In theory, every six minutes the Floating Hourglass up at the top will flip, triggering the Fountains to release a bucket of lava from the lava generator, feeding the four Thermalilies. In practice, whenever I load the tank manually, the fountains go off immediately. Neither that position for the hourglass nor a block lower to activate the Redstone Relays fixes the problem.

It's sort of a moot point, because I don't currently have enough power generation hooked up to produce 4 buckets of lava in six minutes, but I'd like to have it set up properly before hooking up more power. I could set the hourglass to activate the servo out of the tank instead, but I don't know if a basic servo will transport enough during the period the hourglass is active.

The servos you have on the fountains are not doing anything. They don't work to close an "output" fluiduct.

Have you tried just letting the fountain output the lava no matter what? I am not 100% sure, but I don't think that a thermalilly will consume lava if it can't make mana from it.

Also, thermalillies are terrible mana, just so you know. Endoflames produce 50% more mana per tick than thermalillies.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Black Pants posted:

Railcraft is in but a LOT of it was gutted in the move to 1.10.2, no multiblocks for instance. Magical Crops pretty much got replaced by Mystical Agriculture, though, which is far better than that mess of code was.

Who knows what Buildcraft is doing, I think they're still doing updates for 1.8.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Dareon posted:

I've always had bad luck with servos working off redstone pulses. Have you cycling filled buckets to dispensers and empty ones back out to fluidcrafters, with the clock setup to pulse the dispensers? That's how I did my thermalilly farm in Regrowth.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

CrazyTolradi posted:

Railcraft is in but a LOT of it was gutted in the move to 1.10.2, no multiblocks for instance. Magical Crops pretty much got replaced by Mystical Agriculture, though, which is far better than that mess of code was.

Who knows what Buildcraft is doing, I think they're still doing updates for 1.8.
They're porting to 1.11 instead of 1.10 because ??? and not planning to backport.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Khorne posted:

They're porting to 1.11 instead of 1.10 because ??? and not planning to backport.
Oh, BC, you odd redheaded stepchild, you.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Actually that's pretty smart. You can't grab BC and put it into your modpack and take all the credit for it if there aren't any other mods to pack with it. :smug:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Its pretty clear that the steam has gone out of the Minecraft modding community, 1.10 will never be as complete as 1.7.10. There will be major diminishing returns for every new Minecraft version released.

Just stick to 1.7.10, it is the definitive version. Mod authors that bothered to update should back-port new features IMHO.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Rutibex posted:

Its pretty clear that the steam has gone out of the Minecraft modding community, 1.10 will never be as complete as 1.7.10. There will be major diminishing returns for every new Minecraft version released.

Just stick to 1.7.10, it is the definitive version. Mod authors that bothered to update should back-port new features IMHO.

Didn't you once say that 1.4.6 or whatever was the definitive modding experience? lol. And 1.10.2 is perfectly good. I'm having a blast with All the Mods Expert. Roots is a good and fun magic mod and a good replacement for TC.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rutibex posted:

lol

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the only thing that will be lost from 1.10 is a handful of crufty tech mods that refuse to update that will be replaced by something else in due time

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ambaire posted:

Didn't you once say that 1.4.6 or whatever was the definitive modding experience? lol. And 1.10.2 is perfectly good. I'm having a blast with All the Mods Expert. Roots is a good and fun magic mod and a good replacement for TC.

There are three peaks as far as I am concerned. 1.2.5., the last version to include stable Red Power and Somnia. This version runs the best on really old rear end computers even with tones of modded stuff going on. It is the last version to have Mo' Creeps and Weirdos, and It is also the last version with a proper singleplay client, and therefor much less RAM requirement.

1.5.7, is the heyday of Dimension Doors and I had a lot of fun playing Powerless Pack

1.7.10 is the definitive version as it includes the most updated versions of all the mods, and a lots of clones for mods that were abandoned (like Red Power and Equivalent Exchange). There are several mods that are missing from the good old days though, so it is not 100% perfect. There are reasons to play any of these versions, but mostly 1.7.10!

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

We will get off your lawn post haste.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Red Power being available in 1.7.1 is no advantage at all. Red Power had exactly three advantages way back in the day - it had pipes that weren't buildcraft pipes (remember when you had to stick a wooden engine onto a pipe to pull items out of an inventory? Ha), it had power generation that didn't require you to babysit the generator every minute of the day without it exploding (although there wasn't much you could do with it), and it had logic gates that let you be more compact with your redstone mechanisms.

In 1.7.1 we have Thermal dynamics and Ender IO for the pipes, tons of far more interesting options for power generation, and if you still need redstone logic that isn't covered by servos and filters, Minefactory Reloaded's RedNet controllers let you do more with redstone logic than red power could ever dream of.

None of those mods fill your world with giant hideous "volcanos" either.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Is there a mod that adds an old man with a shotgun and rocking chair?

E: preferably in 1.2

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

Reloaded's RedNet controllers let you do more with redstone logic than red power could ever dream of.

I disagree with this point, the rednet controller needs a loving advanced degree to use, the basic logic things RedPower are really intuitive to use.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

redpower got ported/cloned in 1.7 anyways :shrug:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mzbundifund posted:

Red Power being available in 1.7.1 is no advantage at all. Red Power had exactly three advantages way back in the day - it had pipes that weren't buildcraft pipes (remember when you had to stick a wooden engine onto a pipe to pull items out of an inventory? Ha), it had power generation that didn't require you to babysit the generator every minute of the day without it exploding (although there wasn't much you could do with it), and it had logic gates that let you be more compact with your redstone mechanisms.

In 1.7.1 we have Thermal dynamics and Ender IO for the pipes, tons of far more interesting options for power generation, and if you still need redstone logic that isn't covered by servos and filters, Minefactory Reloaded's RedNet controllers let you do more with redstone logic than red power could ever dream of.

None of those mods fill your world with giant hideous "volcanos" either.

Red Power let you build moving custom multi-block machines out of frame motors and computer controllers, I do not see anything like that any more. This stuff is just really cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI7a552_CXQ

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 17, 2017

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rutibex posted:

Red Power let you build moving custom multi-block machines out of frame motors and computer controllers, I do not see anything like that any more. This stuff is just really cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI7a552_CXQ

You mean like Funky Locomotion? It has an alpha for Minecraft 1.9 and 1.10, and a beta for 1.7.10.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lolmer posted:

You mean like Funky Locomotion? It has an alpha for Minecraft 1.9 and 1.10, and a beta for 1.7.10.

I guess 1.7.10 truly is the definitive version! Downloading this now :twisted:

Khorne
May 1, 2002
The best reason to use 1.10 is because JEI is significantly better than NEI. The worst part of trying to play 1.7.10 now is NEI. The second worst part is probably the framerate differences and other QoL stuff.

lolmer posted:

There was also Redstone in Motion (later Remain in Motion), Frames Reborn (or something like that), and another mod that reimplemented frames.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 17, 2017

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

There are three peaks as far as I am concerned. 1.2.5., the last version to include stable Red Power and Somnia. This version runs the best on really old rear end computers even with tones of modded stuff going on. It is the last version to have Mo' Creeps and Weirdos, and It is also the last version with a proper singleplay client, and therefor much less RAM requirement.

1.5.7, is the heyday of Dimension Doors and I had a lot of fun playing Powerless Pack

1.7.10 is the definitive version as it includes the most updated versions of all the mods, and a lots of clones for mods that were abandoned (like Red Power and Equivalent Exchange). There are several mods that are missing from the good old days though, so it is not 100% perfect. There are reasons to play any of these versions, but mostly 1.7.10!

Remind me to quote this post in two years when you're calling 1.11 the new Definitive Version.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Project Red is on 1.10.2 and indeed brings back the volcanoes, also Thaumcraft should be dropping on 1.10.2 soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Halibut Barn posted:

Except in Project Ozone 2 the power requirements for dimensions are scaled up enormously (like, tens of thousands of RF/t for even simple dimensions). Reactor output is also scaled up, but you need to be able to build and feed a good-sized reactor before sustaining a dimension is really feasible.
What if I really like the hugely increased power requirements but hate skyblocks?

Really I just want a mod-pack with crazy lategame projects that I can relax and take my time with.