Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

nmfree posted:

Call it "The Narthex". Sounds dirty, but is actually (somewhat) technically correct!

Or call it "The Apse", that way you can sell T-shirts that say "I take my liquor in The Apse".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This bar is positively brimming with apsidioles.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Two of the neatest venues I've ever been in (for metal and industrial, naturally) were churches, but old stone buildings, not those ubiquitous white siding'd Protestant warehouses.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
If you're not calling it the First Baptist Bar and Grill, then I don't know why you hate fun.

baptists tend to be vocal about being anti-booze. Hence the jokes:

YOU MIGHT BE A SOUTHERN BAPTIST IF ...
You believe Jesus turned water into Welch's grape juice.

There are four general religious truths:
Jewish people do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
Members of the Church of Christ do not recognize other Christian denominations.
Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

Why do Baptists object so strongly to pre-marital sex?
They're afraid it might lead to drinking and dancing.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I you're opening a restaurant in an old church, then be consistent and make it a no-tipping one.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

"Please tithe your waiter"

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Oh and.here I thought 10% was stingy (my wife was a waitress and says church people are usuaally really cheap).

As to kitchen toilets, my family has a farm, and there is a small bunkhouse there that was used for housing migrant workers back in the day. The toilet is right next to the sink, and there is a small cutting board thay folds out over the toilet when it is not in use. Very convenient.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

nmfree posted:

Call it "The Narthex". Sounds dirty, but is actually (somewhat) technically correct!

Only if you want a WH40K fan bar.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

therobit posted:

Oh and.here I thought 10% was stingy (my wife was a waitress and says church people are usuaally really cheap).

As to kitchen toilets, my family has a farm, and there is a small bunkhouse there that was used for housing migrant workers back in the day. The toilet is right next to the sink, and there is a small cutting board thay folds out over the toilet when it is not in use. Very convenient.

10% is still better than one of those loving fake-bill tracts. Or even an actual Chick tract.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

5 jo means 5 tatami mats, approx. 12x7.5 feet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

can it still be a kitchen toilet if your featureless sleep hole lacks a kitchen?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

therobit posted:

They are cheap. They also have a tendency to camp out for a loooong time and be super demanding. And of course the worst ones wont tip at all and will leave you a fake bill or a tract instead because "accepting Jesus as my lord a savior" is legal tender in their brains.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

peanut posted:

5 jo means 5 tatami mats, approx. 12x7.5 feet.

That's not a terrible bathroom, what's the rest of the lavish apartment look like?

I know :thejoke:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

nmfree posted:

Fancy bar in my town that used to be a church is called the Holy Grale.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Dave posted:

Hah, I work at 13th ans Sansom.

If it's Double Knot, I have reservations on Monday.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is Maria's food cart still at 16th and Market? I used to stop there in the morning for a bacon egg and cheese. A guy I used to work with would get the BLT, she put about a pound of bacon on that thing.

Then lunch at Mike's Steaks cart on the opposite corner.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Phanatic posted:

If it's Double Knot, I have reservations on Monday.

I'm a UX Designer but Double Knot coffee is a staple for many of my coworkers.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Blindeye posted:

I have been on that slide but it is not nearly polished enough; you can easily not pick up enough speed to keep going without pushing yourself down, and I'm not a big guy by any means.

I've also ridden that slide. It hurts.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

peanut posted:

can it still be a kitchen toilet if your featureless sleep hole lacks a kitchen?

That's a prison cell.

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

Thought this might be a good place for this.

I've been refitting an old workshop, and there was this big block of concrete in the way (from an old forge).

Idk how heavy it is but I'd estimate about 181.4 kg. I tried to yank it out with all the machines I had around, but it wouldn't budge - cast in place, it was very strongly bonded to the floor, and the angle was a bit awkward because of the location of the door. So I decided to use demolition grout.

Drilling the holes, I rigged up a jig to keep them at an angle so the grout wouldn't spill out. I drilled 2 holes on each side, evenly spaced and about 80-90% of the way through the block.

The bag of grout ("Expando") and mixing gear. Spout made from a drink bottle to pour into the holes.

Next day - she's well cracked.

Now just a simple matter of dragging it out the door.

Outside where it belongs until I can find a breaker or some other way to dump it.

Was it a better solution than just hiring a big breaker and busting up the whole thing in place? Perhaps not, but it was a lot less work.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
gently caress another 400lb block of concrete. Can't you read the thread title?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

goodnight mooned posted:

Thought this might be a good place for this.

I've been refitting an old workshop, and there was this big block of concrete in the way (from an old forge).

Idk how heavy it is but I'd estimate about 181.4 kg. I tried to yank it out with all the machines I had around, but it wouldn't budge - cast in place, it was very strongly bonded to the floor, and the angle was a bit awkward because of the location of the door. So I decided to use demolition grout.

Drilling the holes, I rigged up a jig to keep them at an angle so the grout wouldn't spill out. I drilled 2 holes on each side, evenly spaced and about 80-90% of the way through the block.

The bag of grout ("Expando") and mixing gear. Spout made from a drink bottle to pour into the holes.

Next day - she's well cracked.

Now just a simple matter of dragging it out the door.

Outside where it belongs until I can find a breaker or some other way to dump it.

Was it a better solution than just hiring a big breaker and busting up the whole thing in place? Perhaps not, but it was a lot less work.

You have a lot of nerve coming here to post how-to manuals about motorcycle theft. Once this kind of information gets around nobody's bike is safe.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Youth Decay posted:

That's a prison cell.

That's $1500 a month in San Fran.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wasabi the J posted:

That's $1500 a month in San Fran.

Or $100 a day in a California pay-to-stay prison

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

therobit posted:

You have a lot of nerve coming here to post how-to manuals about motorcycle theft. Once this kind of information gets around nobody's bike is safe.

Don’t Talk About Me Or My Son Ever Again

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Bud K ninja sword posted:

Don’t Talk About Me Or My Son Ever Again

A chip off the old block.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

goodnight mooned posted:

I had never heard of this before. That is pretty cool and I could use it on some projects busting rock.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why use expanding grout when you could use explosives?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Atticus_1354 posted:

I had never heard of this before. That is pretty cool and I could use it on some projects busting rock.

We call it snail dynamite. I always liked that name.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jerry Cotton posted:

We call it snail dynamite. I always liked that name.

I imagine a snail setting it and then fleeing at top speed, while the rock slowly cracks over his shoulder

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

canyoneer posted:

I imagine a snail setting it and then fleeing at top speed, while the rock slowly cracks over his shoulder

:laffo:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

canyoneer posted:

:v:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Platystemon posted:

Why use expanding grout when you could use explosives?

Because explosives are a terrible way to try and soundproof a door.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

canyoneer posted:

Set to dramatic action hero music.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Set to dramatic action hero music.

his eyeballs are on stalks but he doesn't look back

he casually drops a cigarette as a huge crack slllloooooowwwwwlllyyyy wiiiiiiddeeeeennnnnssss

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy poo poo trigger warning that poo poo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That actually doesn’t bother me.

Is that part of the test?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umc9ezAyJv0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Platystemon posted:

That actually doesn’t bother me.

Which part doesn't bother you: That the boards don't line up, or that the boards on the right must be spaced wider than the boards on the left.

Because both things bother me.