Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Suspect Bucket posted:

Now we live in Jacksonville. They only just finished that stupid bridge when we moved here, and now they're re-doing half the drat thing. I will never escape I-95 Jacksonville traffic so long as I live.

My company's other corporate office is in Jax and we have a guy in our department who volunteered to work the 10a-7p shift regularly just to avoid traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I am an idiot. Can anyone explain to me the best method for cast iron pan cooking thin sliced chicken breast? I'd imgine a medium-high heat, and then a minute each side should do it but I don't want to die from chicken poison.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I love chicken breast with harissa or some other similar spicy/garlic/lime paste. It's perfect for fajitas. Medium high for a few minutes on each side should do it. Also, tenderize the breast so it gets thin and tender and it takes almost no time to cook.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

WescottF1 posted:

My company's other corporate office is in Jax and we have a guy in our department who volunteered to work the 10a-7p shift regularly just to avoid traffic.

It's not too bad now that I-295 is finished. You can get around the worst of it. But now they're building the new Amazon distros and building new ramps, so yay construction traffic.

But at least we have this beauty.

It kinda looks like a cast iron pan!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 8, 2017

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

Can anyone explain to me the best method for cast iron pan cooking thin sliced chicken breast?
I don't cook much plain chicken breast, usually it's part of a larger recipe but most have common themes.

First, coat the chicken in something, minimally dredge it in flour with salt and pepper, but you could also a flour+egg wash+bread crumbs if you like breading. Do this while heating a pan to medium-high or so. Once the pan is heated add enough olive oil to coat, place the chicken on and let it fry for a couple minutes until the bottom is browned, flip and fry a couple more minutes. At this point if the chicken is super-thin (1/4" or so) it's probably done. If it's thicker (1/2"-3/4") you have to cook the inside somehow. Most recipes call for braising in liquid or baking in a 350°F oven for 5-10 minutes until done. Of course, this is also a great time to make a real dish out of it by adding sauce (e.g., marinara if you're making chicken parm) or sautéed vegetables, or something like that.

Knifegrab posted:

but I don't want to die from chicken poison.
Get a digital instant read thermometer. On thicker (1/2"-3/4") pieces of chicken you can take the temperature after a few minutes of baking/braising to see if you're at 165°F. If the chicken is thin enough that you can't probe it, then just cook until it's opaque on both sides.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

this looks fantastic, our interchanges are so bad in seattle.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

BraveUlysses posted:

this looks fantastic, our interchanges are so bad in seattle.

that interchange isn't jammed with gridlock in all eight directions; either it's not in atlanta or it's photoshopped or something

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

OMGVBFLOL posted:

that interchange isn't jammed with gridlock in all eight directions; either it's not in atlanta or it's photoshopped or something

... It's in Jacksonville. Which is most notable for the fact that it's not in Georgia. Juuuuust barely.

Charlotte also has a nice turbine interchange. It's sunken, so you're driving in and among the hills there. Drove through that one a few times too, it's pretty.

Back to Cast Iron though, I saw some cute ash-try style pans at the flea market the past sunday, but they were too new for my tastes. Also lol at the sandpaper rough Lodge with caked on seasoning I saw there being sold for 55 bucks. The market is crazy right now.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
So I was walking into Wal-Mart this evening and they had this sitting on a clearance table for $30.

I'd read a few pages of this thread and had been interested in picking up a cast iron pan, so this seemed like a pretty good deal. Does the fact that it's some random brand matter much when it's cast iron? I'm pretty terrible with food, but I'm making an effort to improve my knowledge and skill, but it's possible I'd just be better off returning this and getting a 12 in skillet or something if the other pieces aren't useful.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

So I was walking into Wal-Mart this evening and they had this sitting on a clearance table for $30.

I'd read a few pages of this thread and had been interested in picking up a cast iron pan, so this seemed like a pretty good deal. Does the fact that it's some random brand matter much when it's cast iron? I'm pretty terrible with food, but I'm making an effort to improve my knowledge and skill, but it's possible I'd just be better off returning this and getting a 12 in skillet or something if the other pieces aren't useful.

Offbrand can be hit or miss. Biggest issue is casting flaws and rough/poor finish. But it's possible those were made by a decent company like lodge for walmart so no harm in opening the box and inspecting them. If they have bad pits, cracks or voids anywhere you will want to return them but that's a decent price for the set. If there are junk and you return them poke around the kitchen and clearance areas as walmarts by me are clearing out Lodge griddles and pans as I posted a few posts back.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm curious how much that set weighs. Get some pictures for us when you open it!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Probably the most valuable thing you'll get out of that is the lid from that oven set :v: I have a couple of good lids that have well outlasted whatever was meant to go under them.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

my turn in the barrel posted:

Offbrand can be hit or miss. Biggest issue is casting flaws and rough/poor finish. But it's possible those were made by a decent company like lodge for walmart so no harm in opening the box and inspecting them. If they have bad pits, cracks or voids anywhere you will want to return them but that's a decent price for the set. If there are junk and you return them poke around the kitchen and clearance areas as walmarts by me are clearing out Lodge griddles and pans as I posted a few posts back.

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm curious how much that set weighs. Get some pictures for us when you open it!

The set weighs about 29lbs altogether. I'm kind of astonished that I cannot turn up a single reference to it online. Not an old eBay listing. Not an random cached image from the distant past. The dutch oven seems almost identical to the photos of this model.

Casting seems okay by my ignorant standards. I could only find one small imperfection anywhere on the set and it was on the outside in a non-crucial place. Unless someone see's something that raises a red flag I guess I'll hang onto them.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The set weighs about 29lbs altogether. I'm kind of astonished that I cannot turn up a single reference to it online. Not an old eBay listing. Not an random cached image from the distant past. The dutch oven seems almost identical to the photos of this model.

Casting seems okay by my ignorant standards. I could only find one small imperfection anywhere on the set and it was on the outside in a non-crucial place. Unless someone see's something that raises a red flag I guess I'll hang onto them.

Clearly those are of terrible quality and unsafe to use. Send them to me for proper disposal.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mainstays is Walmart's house brand BTW.

It's probably fine, but who knows. I'd use'em.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

bake you some cornbread

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Those look very decent for the price.

Finish looks like lodge quality, a bit rough but perfectly usable. I would go ahead and use them.

It looks like it must be old stock.

Walmart does still have some pieces like the griddle but they are sold under the Stansport brand now or stansport was making them for walmart as mainstays.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansport-Cast-Iron-Griddle/16224740#about-item

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Does/did Lodge make skillets without their name stamped in the helper handle?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Yes
http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_item_5675.html

They also used to not put their name anywhere on their pieces if they are pre 1950s like the dutch oven I posted a while back.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Huh, that's a hell of a deal you got there. Cook bacon in them! You can always strip the factory finish down and sand them smoother if you have issues.

I'm tempted to sulk into a walmart and see if mine has any.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Huh, that's a hell of a deal you got there. Cook bacon in them! You can always strip the factory finish down and sand them smoother if you have issues.

I'm betting that was a christmas special or something that sat in the back of the store for a few years as I have never seen that set and they don't have it on the website. But most stores have a bunch of lodge for 50% off right now as walmart seems to be cutting back on how much lodge they are carrying so definitely check.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

Protip for finding clearance stuff at Walmart: Look up the item on the website and copy the number of the end of the URL. Paste it into http://brickseek.com. It'll give you a list of local stores that have it and a stock estimate and current price. These numbers, especially the stock estimate, a not always correct, so don't drive an hour or anything, but it can be a useful tool if you know something is getting cleared out.

I'm betting that was a christmas special or something that sat in the back of the store for a few years as I have never seen that set and they don't have it on the website. But most stores have a bunch of lodge for 50% off right now as walmart seems to be cutting back on how much lodge they are carrying so definitely check.

Yea, this thing had just been put out on a table out front with some other stuff. Original price (according to my receipt) was only $39, so I suspect maybe it was a Christmas/Black Friday item and one just got lost? The packaging is marked 2016, so it's not ancient. I've never had a mass produced item like this where I can't find a trace of it anywhere on the internet.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
For reasons id rather not go into, my two skillets were left in the oven set at 500F for 6 hours. I could tell the seasoning on the centers were already cracked. A quick scrub down removed all the cracked seasoning, which leaves a sort of camo-texture season/bare iron pattern on both skillets. Where do I go from here? Strip both pans so the cooking surfaces are bare iron again? Assume i dont have any power tools or existing equipment/materials. What should I pick up from the store that's reasonably cheap/safe?

And no this oven doesnt have a self cleaning cycle.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

if it were me, I'd just reseason them and call it good. going out of your way to barbecue off the little bit left would seem a waste of time

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
I have a heavy base cast iron pan that my wife bought from a camping store for AUD$12. I was a bit ignorant on how to use it, so it's been sitting at the bottom of a cabinet unseasoned and slowly getting lovely. I was fixing to scrub the rust off and season it properly. However:

Offbrand can be hit or miss. Biggest issue is casting flaws and rough/poor finish. But it's possible those were made by a decent company like lodge for walmart so no harm in opening the box and inspecting them. If they have bad pits, cracks or voids anywhere you will want to return them but that's a decent price for the set...

The surfaces on this mutha are rough, especially the inside edges. I'll put some pics up later, but in the short term I'm curious: How will that impact the cooking performance? Will it just make the heat distribution or is there more to it than that?

E: I took some pictures but my phone is sub-potato quality so it didn't really show much detail. There is quite a large embossed ring and logo on the bottom of the pan though. I think this thing was intended to be used over a campfire, not an electric hob which is what I am currently rocking unfortunately. Should I just trash this thing?

DPM fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 14, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Cast iron isn't great at heat distribution, so ironically you might get more even heating on an electric hob than you would on a gas stove.

Rough edges don't affect cooking performance, it's just ugly. If you can't deal with it, borrow an angle grinder and grind it smooth or toss it and get another skillet for $15

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

How do you keep your round cast iron griddles well seasoned? I used to have mine very well seasoned but I never cooked anything besides tortillas and eggs on it and eggs stick a lot now. I'd rather not strip it and trying to do a random coat doesn't seem to help

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

How do you keep your round cast iron griddles well seasoned? I used to have mine very well seasoned but I never cooked anything besides tortillas and eggs on it and eggs stick a lot now. I'd rather not strip it and trying to do a random coat doesn't seem to help

I use mine for tortillas only - for1-2 eggs and pancakes I bought a carbon steel crepe pan, badass. I lost it somewhere though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Constantly cooking with oil and fat is the only fool proof seasoning.

Also, make sure you're cooking eggs on medium heat. High heat seems to make eggs stick more.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Slack Lagoon posted:

How do you keep your round cast iron griddles well seasoned?
I only have skillets but I don't think that makes a difference. The key to keeping them well seasoned is to take care of them after cooking: clean them, then oil and heat before storing. You also have to cook with fat, if for some reason you're not.

If your seasoning is mediocre (but not a rusted out mess that would require stripping) then try oven seasoning. Scrub out the pan with dish detergent (even if you don't normally use detergent) and dry. Wipe oil or melted shortening all over a dry and slightly warm pan, then wipe off what you can so it leaves behind a very thin, but shiny later. Then place upside down in the top rack of your oven and run it at 400°F for an hour. After an hour shut off your oven and wait for the pan to cool before opening and removing it, about two hours.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

eggs stick a lot now.
Are you using fat when frying eggs? If not, you need some fat, half a tablespoon depending on the pan size. Even on non-stick pans they don't really fry properly without fat.

Otherwise, use medium heat when frying eggs. Sometimes they will stick at first, but as they cook they'll release from the pan a bit. I also like to use a flexible stainless turner with fried eggs as you can easily slide it underneath an egg to release even if it does stick a bit.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Consider using a non-stick pan to fry eggs. It's way easier and you never break the yolks.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Yea I use canola/olive/bacon grease.

All of our non stick pans are scratched to poo poo by our retarded roommates. At least they know not to touch my cast iron. :black101:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Slack Lagoon posted:

All of our non stick pans are scratched to poo poo by our retarded roommates.
Then they're probably not much better for frying eggs.

Seriously see if you can find a thin metal turner, they're a lot easier to use with eggs than thick nylon spatulas you have to use with non-stick.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I need to reseason my tortilla press, that's going to be a bitch.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Can the chain link cast iron scrubbers go in the dishwasher

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yes, already did mine a couple times.

Mosch
Jul 30, 2013
I'm an idiot and now my cast iron wok has a small amount of melted polyester near the rim. I tried removing it with steel wool, but it is completely fused to the surface and will not budge. It's at a place the actual food will never touch. What do I do now (Except "Stop being an idiot" and "Throw away your useless polyester oven mitts")? Can I still use it?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mosch posted:

I'm an idiot and now my cast iron wok has a small amount of melted polyester near the rim. I tried removing it with steel wool, but it is completely fused to the surface and will not budge. It's at a place the actual food will never touch. What do I do now (Except "Stop being an idiot" and "Throw away your useless polyester oven mitts")? Can I still use it?

Yes you can still use it, but I'd get some sandpaper and sand it away to nothing. Wouldn't want little bits of polyester breaking free and getting into your food.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
post a pic

i bet you can find a way to scrape it off, do you have a boxcutter knife or an exacto blade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mosch
Jul 30, 2013
I took a few pictures, but it's black on black and pretty much invisible unless you squint really hard.

So far I've tried steel wool, sand paper, a graphic scalpel and a dremel. Nothing. I suppose if even a dremel can't sand it off it's not going to be a problem during normal use.