Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

tap my mountain posted:

I'm still reeling from cliffyb complaining about slow coverbased shooters when he's responsible for Gears

Also "overwatch is for your gf to play"

Lawbreakers looks so generic and yeah hearing CliffyB in interviews makes me want to play it even less.

Now Jeff Kaplan, that's a dev I can get on board with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

People keep saying Jeff Kaplan always puts out these really in-depth videos about game balance but whenever I click on them he's just talking about how much he wants to have sex with Sombra and piss on Roadhog's chest?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

He's a great singer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMDItOwN_SU

But seriously he can give a good talk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-mh2hJDaGQ

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
"Keep 'em out for Harambe" - Jeff Kaplan

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ImpAtom posted:

People cared more about Ebert's opinion of video games than Ebert cared about video games.

Ebert's criticisms of video games were also pretty valid for the most part. I think they just weren't his cup of tea, but every time he tried to voice what bugged him about them it always sounded super duper negative. (Which is pretty much always gonna happen if you try describing something you don't like, really.)

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

In Training posted:

Fighting games don't really need reviews because there's only like 3 series left and everyone knows now to avoid Capcom so that leaves you with like 2 releases a year.

You could've just said everyone should just play GG until it starts sucking and we bandwagon to another series.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I'm really disappointed that we'll probably never see another good Soul Calibur.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think Namco would ever go the free to play route again because no one liked Lost Swords or Tekken Revolution. I could see a proper Soul Calibur 6 happening at some point maybe

e: or are you just saying the SC games are bad now (I liked V)

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 17, 2017

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
So i assume the goons think that jim sterrling is the true review of zelda becuase he hates it. he is a awful reviewer with a shity fanbase. and ignoring the fact 4 weeks ago he made a video about how we should steel stuff from the nintendo store from times sqare and he don't respect anyone from there. goons will love anyone for being bad at their job. see D&D being all for Hillary.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 17, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Klaus Kinski posted:

You could've just said everyone should just play GG until it starts sucking and we bandwagon to another series.

I was also thinking of Tekken 7 and in past years there's been at least something cool on the Nitroplus-tier of releases

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cyron posted:

So i assume the goons think that jim sterrling is the true review of zelda becuase he hates it. he is a awful reviewer with a shity fanbase. and ignoring the fact 4 weeks ago he made a video about how we should steel stuff from the nintendo store from times sqare and he don't respect anyone from there. goons will love anyone for being bad at their job. see D&D being all for Hillary.

hes right

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cyron posted:

Lol weird post

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Motto posted:

hes right

so i can make a video where i throw dildos and say we should try to commit real crime of shoplifting due to youtube drama? because that what he said 4 weeks ago. he deserve more then ddos, he deserve to be in jail.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Cyron posted:

goons will love anyone for being bad at their job

This is why so many goons love Nintendo consoles

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Alternative consoles.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Cyron posted:

so i can make a video where i throw dildos and say we should try to commit real crime of shoplifting due to youtube drama? because that what he said 4 weeks ago. he deserve more then ddos, he deserve to be in jail.

Nice meltdown

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cyron posted:

Post it here when you do, pls.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Lot of Xbox hate thread brain damage happening right now

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
make a new soul calibur where the entire roster is spawn, link, yoda, darth vader, lloyd irving, the main character of the newest tales game and

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Harrow posted:

God drat I wish.

Are they over that "Citizen Kane of video games" kick yet? I suspect fully half of the people who wrote articles like that had never seen Citizen Kane, and the other half had no idea what makes Citizen Kane important and just use it as shorthand for "something good and important."

Couple pages back, but what is the importance of Citizen Kane? If there's no shorthand for it, if you know of a cinema discusso post that gets it that'd be a cool link. If not Ill ask in cd.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't think Namco would ever go the free to play route again because no one liked Lost Swords or Tekken Revolution. I could see a proper Soul Calibur 6 happening at some point maybe

SC2 hd is my most played 360 game by like 10x. It's fun to buttonmash in and it's pretty good if you take it seriously, just pick a character you know nothing about vs new people.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Wamdoodle posted:

Post it here when you do, pls.

na man, i am bad like jim sterrling and shouldn't be sucked off by liberals for being gay.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

fivegears4reverse posted:

This is why so many goons love Nintendo consoles

and why xbox 360 was high selling. i mean i seem people on their 5th console by the 2nd year, BUY A PS3 FFS.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 17, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nasgate posted:

Couple pages back, but what is the importance of Citizen Kane? If there's no shorthand for it, if you know of a cinema discusso post that gets it that'd be a cool link. If not Ill ask in cd.

It's really well shot and edited, amongst other things.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Nasgate posted:

it was written and directed by someone with a background in theater who'd never made a movie before yet also somehow got carte blanche to do whatever he wanted. Welles did a lot of crazy revolutionary things that we take for granted now, while still making an extremely well crafted movie on top of the experimentation. and, because i can't stop fellating him, Ebert's commentary track for it is what got me into movies

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nasgate posted:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's really well shot and edited, amongst other things.

This along with the fact that it was a really early example of a film that did this kind of stuff right, had a lot of dramatic camera angles and lighting that really had never been done before, plus it's a pretty solid film. Also, it pissed off JD Rockefeller a whole bunch.

It's more of a film buff movie these days than a must-see, but it was a really obviously setting the bar for movies that came after it. It gets put on a pedestal a lot for comparison's sake, but games have had dozens of "Citizen Kane"s when you look at the actual historical context considering how many advances there have been in games tech and design over the years.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Colonel posted:

make a new soul calibur where the entire roster is spawn, link, yoda, darth vader, lloyd irving, the main character of the newest tales game and

Talim and Tira are both really fun to play, Talim was my go-to when I played back in the day.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

that boy ain't right

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
soul calibur 2 and super smash bros melee have my ideal single player modes for a fighting game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nasgate posted:

It's the Ocarina of Time of movies.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Nasgate posted:

it's donald trump's favorite movie

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

haveblue posted:

It's the Ocarina of Time of movies.

Important for a variety of technical reasons, but aged like hammered poo poo and is really boring next to modern stuff

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Dewgy posted:

This along with the fact that it was a really early example of a film that did this kind of stuff right, had a lot of dramatic camera angles and lighting that really had never been done before, plus it's a pretty solid film. Also, it pissed off JD Rockefeller a whole bunch.

It's more of a film buff movie these days than a must-see, but it was a really obviously setting the bar for movies that came after it. It gets put on a pedestal a lot for comparison's sake, but games have had dozens of "Citizen Kane"s when you look at the actual historical context considering how many advances there have been in games tech and design over the years.

films always felt like it was film like a soap opra or a sitcom most of the time before Citizen Kane. there where big films before that did a ton, birth of a nation was said to be a landmark in film making but it also a highly racist film that started the KKK. see even movies can make horrable hate groups like the alt right.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Help Im Alive posted:

I think they've given up on the series because namco posted a video last year hinting at a big reveal for the 20th anniversary and it turned out to be a pachislot :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

I think they've given up on the series because namco posted a video last year hinting at a big reveal for the 20th anniversary and it turned out to be a pachislot :v:

Please don't remind me.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cyron posted:

films always felt like it was film like a soap opra or a sitcom most of the time before Citizen Kane. there where big films before that did a ton, birth of a nation was said to be a landmark in film making but it also a highly racist film that started the KKK. see even movies can make horrable hate groups like the alt right.

BoaN didn't start the KKK, it lionized them.

With, uh, plungers on their heads.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the citizen kane comparisons have slowed only because now every video game is the Dark Souls of something

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Congrats on your vid going viral Quest for Glory II.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
http://thecitizenkaneofvideogames.tumblr.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Congrats on your vid going viral Quest for Glory II.
At first I didnt like it because I put no effort into it but now I'm just like "alright I can use the money to buy a Switch or something"

I want to do another micro cartoon called 'job interview: andromeda' but by the time i were to make it i think the ship would have already sailed on the current laugh train (i guess i'm mixing my metaphors woops)

• Locked thread