Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Leaning on the same naming conventions as Power Rangers is edgy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Augus posted:

Forces is a Generations clone, then. Ok.

Good.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Its gonna own.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Augus posted:

Forces is a Generations clone, then. Ok.

If it ain't broke, try fixing it a few times anyway before putting it back the way it was.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Simsmagic posted:

why can't games be new with literally every iteration

It's more that the boost gameplay is pretty shallow. Certainly better than Boom but right now Mania is a lot more exciting to me

Augus fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 17, 2017

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I couldn't be happier to have more Boost Sonic, and on the go on Switch? Perfection.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Generations with original levels is fine by me.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Augus posted:

It's more that the boost game is pretty shallow. Certainly better than Boom but right now Mania is a lot more exciting to me

Unleashed and Generations are deep as gently caress if you care about speedrunning.

Playing the same level for two hours to shave a few seconds off your time is :discourse:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah, s-ranking all the levels required a lot of replaying and actually looking up how to do things.

I can't 100% cheevo Generations because the multi is broken for me though :(

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Please please please give Pollock plenty of chances to ham it up as dictator of the world.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Leaning on the same naming conventions as Power Rangers is edgy?

Not just the name, the level shown apparently takes place during some sort of town razing, the logo conjures up images of the red scare (at least for me) and let's not forget the teaser trailer with Sonic doing the angry fist clench thing and giant eggrobos stomping in a city covered in flames.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean.

The second half of Sonic 3 & Knuckles' opener has Eggman setting Angel Island on fire. That's the first zone.

If this stuff is edgy, then the bad futures in Sonic CD are edgy. I don't see what's wrong with presenting Sonic as facing a legitimate threat. After the past three games have, honestly, defanged things by a wide margin, there's no harm in doing something that has a bit more teeth.

They don't need to be afraid of doing something that has a sense of consequence. You can still do relatively light hearted and present some DANGER. Toying with the doctor who tries to take over the world actually taking over the world isn't going to suddenly turn this into another Sonic 06.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 17, 2017

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

VJeff posted:

Unleashed and Generations are deep as gently caress if you care about speedrunning.

Playing the same level for two hours to shave a few seconds off your time is :discourse:

They play more like racing games than platformers.

I'm completely fine with that because I loving love F-zero and Sonic has been the closest thing to get me my GX fix in years but I can understand people who don't.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh no, I don't think this is bad, but that it's a clear tonal shift from the happy go lucky adventures Sonic's been having recently. And that I'm surprised they're actually doing it again since we've had a pretty consistent tone going ever since Sonic Unleashed.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Well Unleashed started with Eggbotnik blowing up the world and actually beating Super Sonic so

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean.

The second half of Sonic 3 & Knuckles' opener has Eggman setting Angel Island on fire. That's the first zone.

If this stuff is edgy, then the bad futures in Sonic CD are edgy. I don't see what's wrong with presenting Sonic as facing a legitimate threat. After the past three games have, honestly, defanged things by a wide margin, there's no harm in doing something that has a bit more teeth.

They don't need to be afraid of doing something that has a sense of consequence. You can still do relatively light hearted and present some DANGER. Toying with the doctor who tries to take over the world actually taking over the world isn't going to suddenly turn this into another Sonic 06.
Yeah, edgy is fine if it fits logically within the established setting. E-102 Gamma worked pretty well, because he was the logical consequence of "these robots are powered by animals, and to free the animal you've gotta destroy the robot. What if we have a sentient robot that works out that it was created for evil?". The Nega Wisps as a consequence of draining energy from regular Wisps also worked all right. It's definitely a delicate balance though, and it's probably easier to swallow if you keep the overall tone light.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly, my metric is "could they get away with this on an episode of Ninja Turtles? Yes? Okay then, if it's fine there, it's fine for Sonic."

I mean, even Mario games tell simpler stories with a sense of danger better than Pontac and Graff do. Those guys managed to tell a story where a monster who could collapse time and space had no presence or sense of danger at all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Poster they gave out.

lovely shot of the actual boxart.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 17, 2017

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Xad posted:

Aaaaaand release date is now Summer 2017 :smith:

Well at least i can sell my ps4 now

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I hope the 3rd gameplay style is playing as Eggman (Eggmen?), Tron Bonne style.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Honestly, my metric is "could they get away with this on an episode of Ninja Turtles? Yes? Okay then, if it's fine there, it's fine for Sonic."

I mean, even Mario games tell simpler stories with a sense of danger better than Pontac and Graff do. Those guys managed to tell a story where a monster who could collapse time and space had no presence or sense of danger at all.

Their Eggman dialogue is ace though. The PA announcements in Colors were amazing.
I heard a rumor that Ian Flynn from the comics (and the forums!!) is writing the story this time around, which I hope is true.

By the way everyone, please help me out with my lovely version of Sonic Generations, thanks

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 17, 2017

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's incredibly oversimplifying when and where Sonic's "edge" worked. Sonic origin is a little blue hedgehog with a pink girlfriend who jumps on ridiculous robots. The darkness in his best games was always environmental, not hulking green mutants armed with weapons pummeling a weird cult into submission.

They've never successfully brought him into your edgelord fantasies because he's not a very good character there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The biggest problem with dark dystopian storylines is that it doesn't work well with brightly coloured crazy semi-abstract levels and that poo poo is Sonic's bread and butter.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Augus posted:

It's more that the boost gameplay is pretty shallow. Certainly better than Boom but right now Mania is a lot more exciting to me
Sega can only be trusted to very very carefully iterate on proven mechanics rather than coming up with something new. :v:

Generations for me was pretty much the golden standard of modern Sonic gameplay so I'm fine with that but more polished (hopefully less camera and collision bugs this time).

sharrrk posted:

the gameplay they showed looked real good. as if there was any doubt they confirmed that the classic sonic gameplay from generations was going to return as well. curious what the third gameplay style they mentioned will be though.
Werehog. :unsmigghh:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
They figured out how to make Sonic Adventure style gameplay work.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sonic Mania is a digital only release, right? They should just shadow drop that poo poo out of no where in the middle of the night

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
whats a sonic forces

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Sdoots posted:

whats a sonic forces

It's when Sonic comes into your house and holds you at gunpoint, forcing you to buy his new game

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Spiderdrake posted:

That's incredibly oversimplifying when and where Sonic's "edge" worked. Sonic origin is a little blue hedgehog with a pink girlfriend who jumps on ridiculous robots. The darkness in his best games was always environmental, not hulking green mutants armed with weapons pummeling a weird cult into submission.

They've never successfully brought him into your edgelord fantasies because he's not a very good character there.

I'm talking about in a general sense; what works so far as tone. I specified the cartoons because they're often times more brightly colored and meet a more general balance regarding light and dark tone than, say, their comic counterparts. I think saying that one concept regarding one franchise known for color coded anthropomorphic animals who make wisecracks known for taking on megalomaniacs and are known for being "xtreme" can get away with similar things as another isn't an unreasonable one.

As for Sonic in Forces, the actual level from the gameplay we've seen is a Spagonia-style vista that seems to give way to a Green Hill-esque wilderness, with the "edgiest" thing being all the fire, explosions, and Eggrobos. My earlier comparison to Sonic CD's bad futures or how S3&K set their Green Hill Zone equivalent on fire seems apt. It's hardly an oppressive, Sonic 06-looking concept.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I want edgy sonic if it's adorable 2000s edgy. How can you not enjoy Shadow the Hedgehog's intro?

Anyway who cares, if it's Generations 2 and they do a little more to improve the mechanics and make it longer and the soundtrack owns what more do toy want?

The bar is set pretty low for bosses too. Have there even been any mechanically good 3D era bosses?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Final boss of Colors was pretty dope.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How can you not enjoy the Egg Viper?

GET A LOAD OF
GET A LOAD OF
GET A LOAD OF THIS

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

I want edgy sonic if it's adorable 2000s edgy. How can you not enjoy Shadow the Hedgehog's intro?

Anyway who cares, if it's Generations 2 and they do a little more to improve the mechanics and make it longer and the soundtrack owns what more do toy want?

The bar is set pretty low for bosses too. Have there even been any mechanically good 3D era bosses?

The Egg Dragoon in Unleashed.

Which probably doesn't count because that was actually a Werehog boss.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgmXmyKtZOM

That missed red ring makes me so angry.

I'm liking the look of the new Egg Pawn/Egg Robo equivalents.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TFRazorsaw posted:

Every joke with Knuckles is painful. I don't get why people like him. People were angry for years that Sega was making him too stupid, and then this stuff comes out where he can't tell left from right or even count and suddenly it's the funniest poo poo ever.

Knuckles was boring before they did that, though. like, the problem before was that they tried to have him kind of share Shadow's lane, and also have him be a hilarious idiot, and those two things clashed severely. now they've pretty much excised all the "edgy badass" poo poo from the character and just made him a big doofus, and it works way better.

Spiderdrake posted:

er... what exactly is "edgelord fantasy" about loving Ninja Turtles

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Knuckles was boring before they did that, though. like, the problem before was that they tried to have him kind of share Shadow's lane, and also have him be a hilarious idiot, and those two things clashed severely. now they've pretty much excised all the "edgy badass" poo poo from the character and just made him a big doofus, and it works way better.

I never really felt that Knuckles was in "Shadow's Lane"; it was more that they just flat out didn't do anything with him. Knuckles is best when he's treated as the third member of the main trio, the more serious and blunt character who's kind of thick to Tails' intelligence and youthful enthusiasm, and Sonic's freewheeling sense of adventure.

"Doofus Knuckles" has even less of a direction to go. He begins and ends with how much of an idiot he is, and doesn't show anything else. He's the easiest joke in the world to make and half of his material is cringeworthy - not in the same way Shadow's game's edgy teen fantasy shlock is, but cringeworthy in the sense that "I hope to god some kid who gets picked on for being held back on certain things isn't watching this".

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 17, 2017

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Looks like he picked up a boost capsule at 0:11, maybe they're going to go back to Colors-style of limited boosting.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

level design is looking a lot like the 3D sections in Sonic Colors in that clip, hope it doesn't stay that way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

I never really felt that Knuckles was in "Shadow's Lane"; it was more that they just flat out didn't do anything with him. Knuckles is best when he's treated as the third member of the main trio, the more serious and blunt character who's kind of thick to Tails' intelligence and youthful enthusiasm, and Sonic's freewheeling sense of adventure.

"Doofus Knuckles" has even less of a direction to go. He begins and ends with how much of an idiot he is, and doesn't show anything else. He's the easiest joke in the world to make and half of his material is cringeworthy - not in the same way Shadow's game's edgy teen fantasy shlock is, but cringeworthy in the sense that "I hope to god some kid who gets picked on for being held back on certain things isn't watching this".

Speaking of Shadow, they somehow made his Boom counterpart into even more of an edgelord (Sonic, Tails and Eggman more or less stayed the same personality-wise though, I think the only character in that series that actually got changed for the better was Amy).

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Shadow, they somehow made his Boom counterpart into even more of an edgelord

That's :thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Boom!Amy is just as defined by her crush on Sonic as normal Amy. All Boom added was a token effort at making her more of what writers think a "strong female character" is while simultaneously making fun of her for it and for liking things like fanfiction.

Archie's under Ian Flynn remains the best version of the character.