Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mdemone posted:

Well, huh. I think I understand now. The 1965 Act said "you can't restrict entry based solely on religion, race, etc." but this part of the code says that you can restrict entry if you find that class (even if it is a whole religion/race/whatever) to be a threat.

A class of "religion / race / whatever" would be a problem. A class of "6 countries we think harbor terrorists" would be a lot easier to pull off. A class of "6 countries we think harbor terrorists but which are completely coincidentally all the same religion..."? Read and find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
And if you'd like to hear a lawyer explain all this stuff, Opening Arguments talked about it at length several times.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

FronzelNeekburm posted:

And if you'd like to hear a lawyer explain all this stuff

Harsh, man.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

ulmont posted:

Harsh, man.

Hey, I can't hear your typing! :shobon:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ulmont posted:

Harsh, man.

Nobody in this thread is a lawyer. Not even the lawyers. A lawyer outside his practice area and without research is just opinions and big words, and if this is your practice area and you've done research, don't give out your advice for free online!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Nobody in this thread is a lawyer. Not even the lawyers. A lawyer outside his practice area and without research is just opinions and big words, and if this is your practice area and you've done research, don't give out your advice for free online!

We need to send some judges free accounts, get them posting here.

edit: I bet RBG just spends all her time in BYOB and FYAD

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The SCOTUS thread has always been where I've come to hear goon lawyers espouse arguments without being restrained by decorum, punctuation, good taste, etc.

And somebody please update the drat thread title. Scalia's not attempting anything these days but the carbon cycle.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
SCOTUS Thread 2017: Justice Scalia attempted to respond on worms behalf

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Just report your posts as pro bono hours

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
SCOTUS Thread 2017: Justice Gorsuch attempted to respond on petitioners behalf

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

We need to send some judges free accounts, get them posting here.

Judge Dillard of Georgia's Court of Appeals is already on Twitter and citing to Cheers in opinions, so he's at least halfway here:
http://abovethelaw.com/2017/03/this-judicial-citation-to-cheers-will-make-your-day/

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ulmont posted:

Trump as President has broad powers over immigration, and has been specifically given the power to suspend the entry of "any class of aliens" into the United States by Congress if he finds it "would be detrimental to the interests of the United States."

So he has the authority to take the general sort of action. The question is, is he violating the Constitution in doing so?

This is not an interesting precedent to set - that you can't gently caress over a religious minority on a pretext. And it's been set already. The Hawai'i court cites the classic Supreme Court case on point, which was where a Miami suburb tried to stamp out Santeria by outlawing animal sacrifice:

Church of the Lukumi Babalu Aye, Inc. v. City of Hialeah, 508 U.S. 520, 534 (1993) (“Official action that targets religious conduct for distinctive treatment cannot be shielded by mere compliance with the requirement of facial neutrality.”).

The more general concept - that an official action that has no reason other than hostility towards a class of people violates the Constitution - has also been set regarding Colorado's anti-gay constitutional amendment in Romer v. Evans.

One question, I guess, is how far the Establishment Clause (or other constitutional protections) even applies to immigration decisions. See, for example, Rajah v. Mukasey, where the Second Circuit took the view that “[t]he most exacting level of scrutiny that we will impose on immigration legislation is rational basis review." Though it's very questionable whether the travel ban even passes rational basis review (Romer, as you note, suggests that it fails it).

More on this line of argument can be found in yesterday's dissent in Washington v. Trump: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3518079/ca9-Travelban-20170315.pdf

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 16, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

One question, I guess, is how far the Establishment Clause (or other constitutional protections) even applies to immigration decisions. See, for example, Rajah v. Mukasey, where the Second Circuit took the view that “[t]he most exacting level of scrutiny that we will impose on immigration legislation is rational basis review." Though it's very questionable whether the travel ban even passes rational basis review.

More on this line of argument can be found in yesterday's dissent in Washington v. Trump: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3518079/ca9-Travelban-20170315.pdf

Well, the edits that I just noticed have changed my answer a bit. I was going to say that the Establishment Clause is less important here, I think, than the Equal Protection Claim. Further, I go back to Romer and City of Hialeah in noting that animus is not considered a rational motivating factor.

EDIT: the claims by the states themselves make things substantially weirder, I think, because even if you toss everything ex-US as beyond the pale where no laws apply, the states are still here and raising equal protection claims.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 16, 2017

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

EwokEntourage posted:

Just report your posts as pro bono hours

Surely having to deal with us counts as some form of community service.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

mdemone posted:

And somebody please update the drat thread title. Scalia's not attempting anything these days but the carbon cycle.

Wasn't it changed to that after he died?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Wasn't it changed to that after he died?

No, before, which made it way more hilarious in light of his death.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

mdemone posted:

If I recall, the mods decided to keep this title until Scalia's seat was filled. So the title gets a little funnier every day.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

All Trump needs to do to have his ban upheld is cite specific verifiable dangers which the current vetting process is not catching from those countries.

But he's either too stupid or can't find them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Trump could get his EO through the courts just fine if he just kept his mouth shut.

But then he wouldn’t be Trump.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Mr. Nice! posted:

The president isn't going to be permanently enjoined from doing his job, but the courts are doing the country a service by ensuring that the job he's doing is constitutional. If Trump blocked all immigration from Poland following a rubella outbreak, for example, it would hold up just fine.

He is going to be scrutinized harshly anytime he does something that negatively affects a religious group, though.

Well, sure, if you're going to assume that President Trump takes an action that isn't nakedly racist, corrupt, or otherwise criminal, then no, he won't be permanently enjoined from doing his job through various court orders.

That's a hell of a hypothetical though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/neil-gorsuch-scotus-hearing-michael-bennet-cory-gardner-236197

You've got to be loving kidding me...

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

I think they should get Cory Booker to introduce him.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Why are people being dumb about following a stupid tradition. It's not like he's said he's gonna vote for him or something, there's just a tradition of the home-state senators introducing them.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sinestro posted:

Why are people being dumb about following a stupid tradition. It's not like he's said he's gonna vote for him or something, there's just a tradition of the home-state senators introducing them.

It's participating is a blatantly illegitimate process that is going to result in the theft of a SCOTUS seat. gently caress tradition. I hope his primary opponent uses the video in ads against him.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

"A Western perspective"...but not too far West!, no, stop at the Rockies.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Should probably wait to hear what he says before casting judgment

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Sinestro posted:

Because we've already broken quite a few traditions wrt this.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

mcmagic posted:

It's participating is a blatantly illegitimate process that is going to result in the theft of a SCOTUS seat. gently caress tradition. I hope his primary opponent uses the video in ads against him.

"Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.) introduced then-nominee Samuel Alito before the Judiciary Committee in 2006, but ultimately voted to filibuster him."

Let's not make more of this than it is.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
"The president shalll, with the consent of the Senate..."

Senate doesn't consent.

"Illegitimate!"

Like, what the Republicans did was nakedly political for sure. Don't overstate it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kalman posted:

"Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.) introduced then-nominee Samuel Alito before the Judiciary Committee in 2006, but ultimately voted to filibuster him."

Let's not make more of this than it is.

Alito was not filling an illegitimate stolen seat. Democrats should not be participating in the process at all and Bennett should pay a price for his actions as well as any "Yes" votes on cloture.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Alito was not filling an illegitimate stolen seat. Democrats should not be participating in the process at all and Bennett should pay a price for his actions as well as any "Yes" votes on cloture.

He's not going to vote yes on cloture.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DeusExMachinima posted:

"The president shalll, with the consent of the Senate..."

Senate doesn't consent.

"Illegitimate!"

Like, what the Republicans did was nakedly political for sure. Don't overstate it.

The Senate Judiciary Committee didn’t consent.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Platystemon posted:

The Senate Judiciary Committee didn’t consent.

We don't know that, they never took a vote since the head of the committee refused to meet with the nominee.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The senate has the power to make their own rules. They didn't consent. It was bullshit political scorched earth move, but it wasn't illegitimate. The place for the public to make the republicans pay for it was on Election Day. And they didn't.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

As a tide over until we get some hearing juiciness: Man opens the door and get shot by a cop, 11th circuit says the victims family can't sue because he's a cop

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/03/17/appeals_court_rules_officer_who_killed_man_in_his_own_home_cannot_be_sued.html

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kloaked00 posted:

As a tide over until we get some hearing juiciness: Man opens the door and get shot by a cop, 11th circuit says the victims family can't sue because he's a cop

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/03/17/appeals_court_rules_officer_who_killed_man_in_his_own_home_cannot_be_sued.html

They cannot sue the officer individually. That doesn't preclude a suit against the city/state I believe.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

They cannot sue the officer individually. That doesn't preclude a suit against the city/state I believe.

I think you're wrong. The opinion shows dismissal against the sheriff (Borders) in his official capacity, and a 1983 suit has to be brought against a state officer rather than the state entity to avoid sovereign immunity claims.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I probably am. I don't know poo poo about qualified immunity and just read the article that said they could not sue the officer individually.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Ron Jeremy posted:

The senate has the power to make their own rules. They didn't consent. It was bullshit political scorched earth move, but it wasn't illegitimate. The place for the public to make the republicans pay for it was on Election Day. And they didn't.

Norms matter though.

Not everything legal is legitimate.
Like impeaching the President unless he does a silly little dance would be technically legal under the Constitution, but not a legitimate exercise of that power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sarcastr0 posted:

Norms matter though.

Not everything legal is legitimate.
Like impeaching the President unless he does a silly little dance would be technically legal under the Constitution, but not a legitimate exercise of that power.

The only people playing by the norms now are the loser senate democrats. Garland was the thing that make senate norms a joke.