Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Everyone who usually cites Citizen Kane to compare it to video games has probably never seen it and pictures it as a slow art cinema thing but it is actually extremely plot-driven and quickly paced, part of why critics eventually hailed it was that it was incredibly ahead of its time and would not be that out of place as a film even decades later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

new sonic game is more generations like everyone expected

https://twitter.com/instalyssa/status/842511534383423488

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

quote:

"Hideo Kojima Is the Jonathan Franzen of Video Games"
— Kevin Nguyen, The New Republic

That's pretty insulting to Kojima.

E: It's also a really weird comparison to begin with.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 17, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wish I could have the same reaction as the people goin fuckin nuts in the audience, but I don't really like the Sonic Is A Race Car games because it feels like I'm just watching them instead of playing :(

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sonic driving a race car, now that's something I can get behind.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wildtortilla posted:

I haven't been to the Divine Swine, I don't go to Manheim very often. If you travel into Lancaster City and want a fun bar, check out Tellus 360. It's a really cool, chill bar. They have really good food and lots of beers on tap. It's also really neat cross section of every type of person living in the city. Other good bars are: Root (vegan bar, the food rules even if you aren't a vegan) and Characters Pub (gastro pub). Good food places include: Rachel's Creperie, The Sprout/Rice and Noodle (Sprout and R&N have the same menu, R&N is on the outskirts of the city and Sprout is downtown. super excellent Vietnamese, especially their vegetarian soup with tofu and egg noodles), Himalayan Curry and Grill (the best Indian food in town), Souvlaki Boys (the best Greek food in town, esp their Athena wrap + french fries), Aussie and the Fox (Australian restaurant and bar), and if you want to spend a ton of money on a meal make reservations for Citronelle (French). That's a comprehensive list of my favorite places to eat and drink in Lancaster.

I don't see Issei Noodle in this list.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Everyone who usually cites Citizen Kane to compare it to video games has probably never seen it and pictures it as a slow art cinema thing but it is actually extremely plot-driven and quickly paced, part of why critics eventually hailed it was that it was incredibly ahead of its time and would not be that out of place as a film even decades later

Yeah, Citizen Kane's just a real good movie in general.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If I had to make a list of Best Games On Each Console I can remember it'd go Super Metroid, Sonic 3 & Knuckles (MJ mix), Majora's Mask, Crash 1, MGS3, Halo, Mario Galaxy, Mario Maker. I can't think of anything off the top of my head for the 360 / ps3.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sonic driving a race car, now that's something I can get behind.

:yeah:

All-Stars Racing is unironically the best Sonic game.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Quest For Glory II posted:

new sonic game is more generations like everyone expected

https://twitter.com/instalyssa/status/842511534383423488

If it's just going to be more generations there really isn't any...good(?) reason it couldn't have been made in like, 2013, 2014 or 2015 aside from the fact that Sonic Team believes every Sonic game has to be wildly different mechanically and that's how we got Lost World, Boom and then they finally raised their arms up and said "Fine, we'll just do more Generations."

Like it's not a bad thing it's more Generations, I would have just liked more Generations goodness sooner.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sonic Team didn't make Boom.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

CJacobs posted:

I wish I could have the same reaction as the people goin fuckin nuts in the audience, but I don't really like the Sonic Is A Race Car games because it feels like I'm just watching them instead of playing :(

The 3d levels in generations were actually surprisingly good because they had a ton of alternate paths and shortcuts. A couple of them were rear end but they're more engaging than you'd think and were a lot of fun to time trial.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

At first I didnt like it because I put no effort into it but now I'm just like "alright I can use the money to buy a Switch or something"

wait how much did you make from it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Unleashed Day-style levels are reportedly really expensive to make, since it's tons of modeling per, like, minute of content. In that context it's not surprising they tried at something less intensive with LW, as poorly as it turned out.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

oddium posted:

Sounds like about a three hundo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oddium posted:

i'll find out tomorrow but it has 252.6k views and ad rate on my other videos is usually .0011 per view so that would translate to ~$277, the one hitch is that its only 15 seconds and so it might have a lower ad rate as a result, since minutes watched plays a huge role

ive been watching the analytics all week even before making that video, my stuff is not amazing in general so it usually is only in the 4 digits of views, but basically.. a cartoon that's a couple minutes does .0011 per view, while the first video of a video game playthrough i crossposted had an ad rate of .0051 per view. but the sample size is pretty limited on the latter and has been fluctuating a bit

the nitty gritty of that stuff is interesting to me

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 17, 2017

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Don't forget us when you reach the top

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

i'll find out tomorrow but it has 252.6k views and ad rate on my other videos is usually .0011 per view so that would translate to ~$277, the one hitch is that its only 15 seconds and so it might have a lower ad rate as a result, since minutes watched plays a huge role

Even if it's half that it's a hell of a boon for a 15 second video.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ive been watching the analytics all week even before making that video, my stuff is not amazing in general so it usually is only in the 4 digits of views, but basically.. a cartoon that's a couple minutes does .0011 per view, while the first video of a video game playthrough i crossposted had an ad rate of .0051 per view

Wow, thanks for buying me a switch with that money, real kind of you

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oh do you get to see the average length of time people watch your video? I've always been interested in knowing how often people actually reach the end versus how many views it has

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Jay Rust posted:

Oh do you get to see the average length of time people watch your video? I've always been interested in knowing how often people actually reach the end versus how many views it has

Yeah, apparently youtube has a bunch of useful metrics like that. I haven't seen them myself but apparently you can see "x people tend to stop watching at this point, while y people stop watching at this point."

That way you can determine what does and doesn't keep people's interest.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Couple pages back, but what is the importance of Citizen Kane? If there's no shorthand for it, if you know of a cinema discusso post that gets it that'd be a cool link. If not Ill ask in cd.

Everyone else did a great job of explaining this. Basically, Orson Welles didn't give a poo poo how things were usually done in film and went nuts doing a bunch of weird things with camera angles, lighting, and focus, and in the process basically invented a lot of what we consider standard in modern cinematography and directing even today. Watching the movie now, you'll probably see an entertaining, well-made, memorable film, but it won't look all that revolutionary because we're used to a lot of the cool poo poo it pioneered. But back then it was something extremely new.

Also whoever said Ocarina of Time might not be that far off. I don't think we can really in a Citizen Kane of video games but rather a handful of revolutionary games that pioneered a lot of techniques that we now see as standard in 3D games.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, I watched it for the first time in grad school for a film criticism course and went in expecting to be bored to tears. Instead, I found that it was really entertaining and well-paced with a great sense of humor and tone. It's good poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jay Rust posted:

Yes, video analytics show you your audience retention with a graph that shows viewer dropoff by %s. So, at 0:00 it starts at 100% and then declines from there till the end. I find that stuff really interesting because I've been shown by it that only like 20% of people who watch a video will actually finish it, if that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

If it's just going to be more generations there really isn't any...good(?) reason it couldn't have been made in like, 2013, 2014 or 2015 aside from the fact that Sonic Team believes every Sonic game has to be wildly different mechanically and that's how we got Lost World, Boom and then they finally raised their arms up and said "Fine, we'll just do more Generations."

Like it's not a bad thing it's more Generations, I would have just liked more Generations goodness sooner.

It's pretty clear Sonic Team doesn't actually want to make old style Sonic games that play well, they want to bravely experiment and make terrible 3D games everyone hates. That's why they constantly farmed out their 2D retro games to Dimps and focused on making the REAL games, like Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic and the Black Knight. They're probably annoyed that they have to go back to "retro" design because Generations was their last well-received game.

The only thing I wanted out of a Generations 2 was being able to play as Tails and Knuckles (but not the really weird hole-digging, mech-riding versions of the later games, I mean I wanted them to play like they did in the old games, which is to say 90% like Sonic but with some extra abilities), and it's not looking like I'm getting that with this one. :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Yes, video analytics show you your audience retention with a graph that shows viewer dropoff by %s. So, at 0:00 it starts at 100% and then declines from there till the end. I find that stuff really interesting because I've been shown by it that only like 20% of people who watch a video will actually finish it, if that.
Basically youtubers have the attention span of

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Have you tried including cleavage in the thumbnail?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

I didn't finish reading this post but I disagree

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

3 seconds in: stops watching and posts about sjws ruining games

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Have you tried including cleavage in the thumbnail?

Reminder that this is one of the most viewed videos in youtube's history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=embdtwW-sSE

Over 166 million views.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Way to be part of the problem

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Way to be part of the problem

Oh yeah, these extra 6 views are what's really going to tip it over the edge.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I realized today that while Ori and the Blind Forest is very pretty, and controls well, I don't like the kind of platforming challenges it's making me perform, so I'm not gonna finish it.

It feels good to finally nail down why I was avoiding booting it up despite liking metroidvanias, and well, I don't like this one. It's not fun.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Oddly related to current discussion. Google rewards just asked me if i watched all of that wipeout video posted earlier.:tinfoil:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Why is Mario angry about what's going on

Like his face is oddly the weirdest part of that

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Like 10 years too late, I started Recettear: An Item Shop tale as a break from console games. It's really fun. I'm sure everyone here has already played it but just saying, running a shop in a video game is more fun than it has any right to be.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Like 10 years too late, I started Recettear: An Item Shop tale as a break from console games. It's really fun. I'm sure everyone here has already played it but just saying, running a shop in a video game is more fun than it has any right to be.

I've been meaning to get around to that because the premise sounds like fun already.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

Why is Mario angry about what's going on

Like his face is oddly the weirdest part of that

His memory has just been sold. Peach is the centerfold.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Harrow posted:

I've been meaning to get around to that because the premise sounds like fun already.

It's easy to recommend. It's fun, it's cheap, and you can playthrough in like 6-10 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's called racist Mario so he's mad at the bean bean kingdom i guess

• Locked thread