Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Fat Twitter Man posted:

the majority of discussion in this forum comes from people not knowing that favorable and unfavorable style matchups are a thing

Just out of curiosity, what 'style' would you say would be ideal to beat Kelvin? Or weidman? Or Rory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
thread apparently doesn't know about anderson's silva's decisive win over future welterweight champion Damian Maia

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

go look .. probably in may/april 2016 since thats about when the fight was. or maybe u want to get into a semantic argument about what "everyone" means in my post, in which case , id rather eat live bees. :P

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Marching Powder posted:

Just out of curiosity, what 'style' would you say would be ideal to beat Kelvin? Or weidman? Or Rory?

If only they had lost fights so we could guess

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i picked jds but it was mostly becasue i don't like rothwell, proud to say

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Fat Twitter Man posted:

If only they had lost fights so we could guess

Do you consider rockhold to have a style?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

Do you consider rockhold to have a style?

Yeah basically. It's not like say a strong wrestler vs someone with bad wrestling etc. Before the fight there was no obvious elements of the fight you could point to and say it'd give one of them an edge for sure. Even in the fight I felt like it all came down to that egregious wheel kick rather than Rockhold implementing a better plan.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

When he was champ, Michael Bisping was the guy getting flattened by all those deeply flawed contenders, and time has not made a half blind 38 year old man with no boxing defence a stud. As evidence, he still managed to get cracked by the same guy who once flattened many moons ago, twice. Turns out that guy hits a bit less hard at 47 than he did at 38.

Daniel Cormier is a better fighter than anyone he faced, but he's also not a Middleweight.

Weidman is the one guy who fits your pattern, but you used the plural.

Mp just pointed out how styles make fights and its not unfair to say that luke rockhold, weidman, romero, jacare and kelvin are better fighters than the patrick cotes and chris lebens of the world.

MP's styles makes fights argument makes a lot of sense.

Silva does well against people who lead and are bullish but not against guys like Bisping or Chael who will make you miss on their entry.

Even vitor got some clean ones in before he made the mistake of disengaging to try and find an opening to blitz.

Watch what weidman did to silva. Walked him down, changed angles off his jab and clinched or shot when he got into trouble and used the threat of one to increase the success of the other.

Gastellum does all of that with greater speed and a deeper gas tank.

Also gently caress off vainman saying people who talk about angles read jack slack and think it applies. Gastellum does angle in and out and i know he does because ive watched combat sports for the better part of ten years.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah basically. It's not like say a strong wrestler vs someone with bad wrestling etc. Before the fight there was no obvious elements of the fight you could point to and say it'd give one of them an edge for sure. Even in the fight I felt like it all came down to that egregious wheel kick rather than Rockhold implementing a better plan.

Yeah you get it. Usually if we're talking about 'stylistic match ups' we're talking about dinosaurs or extreme outliers like Maia. Or both in maia's case.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

[conor mcgregor]Who da fook is dat goi?

also, what are the chances that this was written by the fighter himself

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Memento posted:

[conor mcgregor]Who da fook is dat goi?

100%

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Kelvin is a little over a year removed from losing a fight to Neil Magny, a fight in which he had a lot of trouble early with Magny's size and reach. Since then he's beaten Hendricks, who was coming off of a brutal KO loss and hard poops, Tim Kennedy, also coming off of a brutal KO loss and being old as poo poo and not fighting for three years, and Vitor, coming off of, well, nothing good for a long time.

It's very possible that none of those guys will be in the UFC anymore by year end. Gastelum is a very good welterweight, but he's way too small for middleweight and I'm not so sure Anderson won't be the guy to make that obvious.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

big money big clit posted:

Kelvin is a little over a year removed from losing a fight to Neil Magny, a fight in which he had a lot of trouble early with Magny's size and reach. Since then he's beaten Hendricks, who was coming off of a brutal KO loss and hard poops, Tim Kennedy, also coming off of a brutal KO loss and being old as poo poo and not fighting for three years, and Vitor, coming off of, well, nothing good for a long time.

It's very possible that none of those guys will be in the UFC anymore by year end. Gastelum is a very good welterweight, but he's way too small for middleweight and I'm not so sure Anderson won't be the guy to make that obvious.

That was when he was fighting at 170 and really struggling to make weight and it was before he moved to Kings and started training full time with cordeiro.

He has markedly improved since then. In fact he's looked better in every fight at 185.

No one expected him to beat Kennedy in the gdt and he loving dismantled him.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Its true that MW is better now than when Silva was champ but the only 'new breed' guy hes fought is Weidman who killed him twice so idk. I dont think Bisping, Nick diaz, and Derek brunson are really much better than like 2007 era Dan henderson, Rich franklin and.. Bisping

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The point you're making isn't as you against the world as you're making it sound. Anderson is still a lethal striker and everyone acknowledges this,its just that a lot of people don't think he's likely to out fight someone like Kelvin. I'm picking Kelvin to win, but I don't think many monocles will pop if Anderson Silva hits someone hard.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

manyak posted:

Its true that MW is better now than when Silva was champ but the only 'new breed' guy hes fought is Weidman who killed him twice so idk. I dont think Bisping, Nick diaz, and Derek brunson are really much better than like 2007 era Dan henderson, Rich franklin and.. Bisping

For sure, they're each flawed and Anderson drat near / actually did beat each of those three guys.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Kelvin is going to beat Anderson like *checks spreadsheet of lovely football players* Junior Galette beats women.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

manyak posted:

completely agree. theres a lot of extra roidy guys at MW right now in that new breed

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
I'm not sure when the "new breed" kicks in but it seems like most ranked guys over 170 are the same ones who were ranked in 2012 or whatever

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Kelvin's weird to me because he has a lot of power and great hands and can run a good drill but every three or four minutes he gets really stiff and just kind of flattens out so it's weird when people say he moves like Dillashaw

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Marching Powder posted:

The point you're making isn't as you against the world as you're making it sound. Anderson is still a lethal striker and everyone acknowledges this,its just that a lot of people don't think he's likely to out fight someone like Kelvin. I'm picking Kelvin to win, but I don't think many monocles will pop if Anderson Silva hits someone hard.

I'm not saying that Anderson has a punchers chance, I'm saying that Kelvin is little and he's not going to be able to do what Weidman did without learning how to grow four inches before the fight, and consequently I think it's a much tougher fight than people are making it out to be. The additional leverage Silva's height and reach provide is going to make it hard for Kelvin to take him down, it's going to put Kelvin in more danger in the clinch, and it's going to put him in more danger trying to get close enough to land. I just don't think he's big enough for the division.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Like this- he gets a bit tired and then comes in straight with really heavy steps. And he can do that because he's a great fighter but it's obviously a hole for him

https://gfycat.com/BarrenShadowyDowitcher

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Drop shift

https://gfycat.com/ConstantCleanElectriceel

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

vainman posted:

Like this- he gets a bit tired and then comes in straight with really heavy steps. And he can do that because he's a great fighter but it's obviously a hole for him

https://gfycat.com/BarrenShadowyDowitcher

got anything more recent than that fight showing similar habits?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I saw him get it in the Hendricks fight but I don't have a gif. And it's weird, because he will spend like two or three minutes looking slick and then just abandon it for whatever reason

He's a great fighter though

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

vainman posted:

Kelvin's weird to me because he has a lot of power and great hands and can run a good drill but every three or four minutes he gets really stiff and just kind of flattens out so it's weird when people say he moves like Dillashaw

only one guy said he moves like dillashaw and it was insane

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

BlindSite posted:

That was when he was fighting at 170 and really struggling to make weight and it was before he moved to Kings and started training full time with cordeiro.

He has markedly improved since then. In fact he's looked better in every fight at 185.

No one expected him to beat Kennedy in the gdt and he loving dismantled him.

He had Lockhart working with him for that fight and said he felt great and was near weight for his whole training camp. He also trained at Kings for that fight.

Prior to the Kennedy fight some people pointed out that Kennedy was old as hell and on a 3 year layoff that could seriously affect him.

He's looked better, but how much of that is due to fighting old men with one foot out the door? This seems a lot like the "Steven Thompson is the uncrowned champ of 170" talk where a guy goes on a little tear and suddenly he's an unbeatable monster, and the questions about them just get glossed over with "well, he's better now, so those losses don't matter."

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Skip My Posts posted:

only one guy said he moves like dillashaw and it was retarded

A lot of people say he has great footwork, though, and I don't see it

^^^ kennedy sucks, agreed

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
what about a 2010 tj dillashaw

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The way Dillashaw fought in the 1st round of the 2nd Barao fight was kinda like Kelvin and he did leave the same kind of openings when he was exchanging. He fought mostly southpaw so maybe I'm just conflating the two. Dillashaw also throws way more kicks that end with him on his rear end.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

https://streamable.com/8n3yp

joe rogan fight companion condensed to 13 seconds

I enjoyed Joe getting annoyed and laying down the law about Callen giving Eddie booze during it.

"He's a gremlin. you can't give him poo poo after a certain hour or else all hell breaks loose."

Also re: those guys leaving the UFC from that tweet, am I the only one who doesn't really care about any of them? Maybe Bader I can see for "he's a good talent" but he's also not been a guy able to push past that final hurdle to get a title shot.

Edit - His temper tantrum to try and McGregor a title a shot against DC at the post fight press conference was funny though.

Edit 2 - I take that back, Horiguchi and Larkin are a loss but WW is pretty thick right now iirc, and Flyweight is sort of a ghost town with Sheriff Johnson in charge.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 17, 2017

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

only one guy said he moves like dillashaw and it was insane

Its actually not because hes cleaned up that hitch since he fought woodley 2 years ago.

He doesnt come in on that cente line any more. His stance changes change the angles he can be effective from just like dillashaw. He'll come in and switch as his opponent tries to circle and cuts off really effectively.

He'll also keep his hands low on the outside inviting someone in and will use the same triangle step to move into their blind angle when avoiding shots setting up some power.

He doesnt throw as many kicks but his entry and exits from exchanges are very similar.

He had rashad syndrome early where he would bob and weave except in the pocket or when throwing strikes and hes managed to overcome that.

Funnily enough theyre the same issues dillashaw had before ludwig came along.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
lol

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
RIP Ryan Bader I'll never forget that time you, never mind

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
You should care about good, solid fighters leaving the UFC because having a sizable roster of good, solid fighters allows for exciting matchups and fights and not CM Punk vs Artem Lobov: This Time It's Personal for the Interim Lightweight Championship.

gently caress Ryan Bader, though.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Ryan Bader vs Phil Davis is a fight I consider the defining performance of both of their careers and as such I would take 2 lobovs polluting good divisions over either of them existing in a bad one.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

I dunno man it has a citation and everything

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Hollandia posted:

I dunno man it has a citation and everything

[33] Michael McDonald's Mom, "Isn't He Such A Handsome Boy?" 2017.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

RIP Ryan Bader I'll never forget that time you, never mind

one half of the greatest mma picture of all time tyvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Dan Didio posted:

CM Punk vs Artem Lobov: This Time It's Personal for the Interim Lightweight Championship.

But I really want to see this fight. Extremely hittable featherwight vs welterweight guy who can't throw a punch.

Also don't understand why people are continuously talking about height/reach as if they are the defining factor in fights. Lots of successful, short fat fighters, Kelvin exists within a time honoured tradition. I mean, maybe Dhalsim would keep him at range?

Southpaugh fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 17, 2017

• Locked thread