Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Milky Moor posted:

PM me. I'm super curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
cutscenes randomly crash my video card and send it into loving overdrive 100% usage, so that's cool

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to post a major spoiler like that in this thread 6 days before release. There are goons who will enjoy this game and I don't want to do that.

I'm just really bummed out.

like in what way. was it a gut punch death way/lovely ending or just really loving dumb and obvious. pm me if you want.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to post a major spoiler like that in this thread 6 days before release. There are goons who will enjoy this game and I don't want to do that.

If you could PM the spoiler, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Randarkman posted:

Witcher 3 is a great game. You should definitely check that out if you're into well thought out fantasy settings and poo poo. Only thing I don't really like about the Witcher is how every "sorceress" is a super hot 20-something babe that you bang, it's kind of silly and pulpy (though I guess that could be the appeal, I guess it's also quite possible that that's what the Witcher books are fantasy pulp). I also quite liked DA:I for that matter, though the open world elements do become grating if you go full on obsessive "must complete every little sidequest".

Of the Mass Effects I would probably say that ME2 scored the best balance between story and gameplay, being good in both. Of the three I had the most fun with ME3's combat, and there were some characters I enjoyed (mostly Javik). ME1, though janky in spots, really sold me on the theme and feel of the world and the effort put into lore and techno babble, felt really sci-fi. The best thing though was the soundtrack, it's kind of incomprehensible to me that they went away from the synth heavy soundtrack for 2 and 3 which had much more orchestral soundtracks (Guess they wanted it to be more "cinematic" and "epic"). It also by far had the best villain.

I just never really gave a poo poo about Andromeda, basically just demolishing a great sci-fi setting with ME3 and then setting this new one in a new location in another location was just really uninteresting to me, when what was really interesting about the ME universe was the lived in universe in the background and the different empires and species and such as well as humanity ambitiously gaining more and more power. Came back here when I remembered release was getting close and find some funny faces and gifs. Game looks to be pretty bad, I'd say. Won't have to pay to play it though as my sister is a huge ME fan and preordered it a long time ago and said I could borrow her Origin account, so yay I guess.

I know this is from a while back but there is an actual storyline reason why the Sorceresses are preternaturally beautiful. In the novels, it's mentioned that they glamour themselves up or use magic to completely transform how they look. Yennefer, for instance, is/was a messed up hunchback and Geralt knows it but doesn't care either way.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 17, 2017

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Vanderdeath posted:

If you could PM the spoiler, I'd greatly appreciate it.

If you could pm me the pm'd spoiler I'd be vaguely grateful.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Spoiler screenshot:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Rookersh posted:

PM me the spoiler.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Spoiler screenshot:

guess they were right about the mary sues.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I've only played multiplayer during the trial period (I don't think I'll be trying the single player campaign at all) and it's rather hard even on the lowest difficulty. I'm sure the low level characters and gear are a contributing factor, along with some bad teamwork, but most everything lacks punch. Most of the guns I've tried are pea shooters except for the sniper rifle and the biotic combos are surprisingly weak. Melee attacks don't have any impact to them and can be awkward to land. The majority of games I've played failed on one of the later waves simply because you very quickly get overrun by tough boss enemies that you can't deal any damage to. There's a big Remnant robot that's probably like the Geth Prime equivalent and it's insanely difficult to take down.

The audio is also very strange and disorienting with headphones on, as gunfire and character chatter sounds seem to come from all directions with no rhyme or reason. It will sound like there's enemies firing behind you but there's nothing actually there.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I've only played multiplayer during the trial period (I don't think I'll be trying the single player campaign at all) and it's rather hard even on the lowest difficulty. I'm sure the low level characters and gear are a contributing factor, along with some bad teamwork, but most everything lacks punch. Most of the guns I've tried are pea shooters except for the sniper rifle and the biotic combos are surprisingly weak. Melee attacks don't have any impact to them and can be awkward to land. The majority of games I've played failed on one of the later waves simply because you very quickly get overrun by tough boss enemies that you can't deal any damage to. There's a big Remnant robot that's probably like the Geth Prime equivalent and it's insanely difficult to take down.

The audio is also very strange and disorienting with headphones on, as gunfire and character chatter sounds seem to come from all directions with no rhyme or reason. It will sound like there's enemies firing behind you but there's nothing actually there.

One streamer was complaining about this and how something on the other side of the room was louder than characters next to him

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
I've had rather the opposite experience with the MP's difficulty. Playing with just 3 of us, we haven't had a failed mission yet on bronze, though there's been rounds that felt a bit dicey. I dunno, it feels a bit easier to me than 3, but maybe that's just experience.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Can you post the source of the spoiler please? I don't have PMs but would like to know if my spoiler guess is correct and if not how stupid the plot point is.

Re multi difficulty I thought the regular missions on bronze were easy but the Apex missions even on bronze were a challenge and I had to try one three times to pass it and get my free box.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

My life is empty I need the spoiler hnnnnngggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Tell us you chode that's what spoilers are for. It's like the only thing Radium did right

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JBP posted:

My life is empty I need the spoiler hnnnnngggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Serf posted:

This game really is DA:I in space. I liked DA:I so it's not a big deal, but come on guys.

I played a few more hours and that was kind of what I was thinking; right down to the Inquisitorial Pathfinder pajamas. It's kind of an annoying quibble for me; sci-fi world with everyone wearing sci-fish clothing except the PC who's in the 29th century equivalent of jeans, long-sleeved tee, and sneakers.

I haven't tried MP yet, but the SP combat is actually pretty decent. Jet packing around in combat is kind of fun. It also makes jumping to ledges and whatnot easier. The story isn't terrible either, especially the mysteries of the Andromeda, but the animations are laughably bad at times. At one point, I thought Cora had Parkinsons; her had was shaking for no reason. Also kind of weird is how Ryder doesn't seem to care that much that his dad sacrifices himself. He's like, "He died for us," like I say, "I'd like a double espresso." You'd expect a little more emotion. Except for the animations, the visuals are good. Seeing Eos from my overly large and luxurious cabin was very beautiful.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The character creator is pretty good

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

my guess on the spoiler. the remanent are this games version of reapers and the kett have fled their galaxy because of the reapers. or they grow their own species.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I don't have PMs y'all, which is why I'm not PMing any of you.

Also don't buy me PMs for this, it's more depressing then a huge thing. I bet it'll get revealed in the next couple days off a streamer anyways.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Rookersh posted:

Also don't buy me PMs for this, it's more depressing then a huge thing. I bet it'll get revealed in the next couple days off a streamer anyways.

Intentionally depressing?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Post the loving spoiler.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
I hate the new galaxy/cluster/space map. The zooming in on a planet thing then suddenly zooming out serves zero purpose and is kind of disorienting.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

This game sucks, I can't use the toilet in the Tempest's bathroom. :colbert:

Rookersh posted:

I only want to know if it's depressing because it sucks or because you didn't want to know.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

JBP posted:

Post the loving spoiler.
Google it yourself if you're that desperate.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Rookersh posted:

Just post the spoiler with a big flashing warning then. If someone clicks on it's on them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/bobvids/status/842564053704888320?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

:3:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay, I've been playing the trial for about an hour now. I having fun with it but this poo poo feels pretty Syfy original series even for Mass Effect.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thisgameisbad

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

Yes, but it's not clear why being linked to SAM makes you a one of a kind wunderkind.

Prolly something like the AI does poo poo in your brain like the AI's in Hyperion Cantos.

Or maybe your SAM only responds to a pathfinder and so the pathfinders can rule with an iron fist. If the game turns out to let us rule a planet or some poo poo like that I'm way back in.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

I'm gonna buy this game and stream the entire thing and cut every broken bit into gifs I'm dying from laughter here

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
Someone mentioned heavy melee's been removed, is it completely gone or do you just need to unlock it?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Admiral Ray posted:

Prolly something like the AI does poo poo in your brain like the AI's in Hyperion Cantos.

Or maybe your SAM only responds to a pathfinder and so the pathfinders can rule with an iron fist. If the game turns out to let us rule a planet or some poo poo like that I'm way back in.

It's actually a Cerberus AI and you are now building a base and recruiting for Cerberus in a new system. Outer Cerberus.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

Someone mentioned heavy melee's been removed, is it completely gone or do you just need to unlock it?

You mean charging a melee attack? Yeah, I couldn't do it in the trial. Maybe they traded it for the weapon types. Would have loved to still have it though.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Rookersh posted:

You shouldn't have brought it up if you're not gonna bother telling us. Just post it with tags and a warning, jesus.

Serf
May 5, 2011

A couple of weird animation things I noticed:

-when Vetra is standing on the ramp of the Tempest, her feet aren't touching it. They are straight out and she is ever so slightly hovering.
-Ryder grinning like an idiot any time someone mentions her dead dad
-Lexi's head whipping around real fast once or twice

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

JBP posted:

It's actually a Cerberus AI and you are now building a base and recruiting for Cerberus in a new system. Outer Cerberus.

Still too clever for Bioware

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

DrNutt posted:

Yeah but in ME 1-3 you were Commander Shepard, a veteran military officer with a ton of experience. And you still got called Commander and Shepard most of the time. Imagine if you played those games and everybody shot their load when they met you and exclaimed "a Spectre! Oh gosh, we're saved!"

ME1 was the first modern RPG I played, and I remember walking out of Spectre induction and wondering why everyone was saying "COMMANDER SHEPARD, I NEED YOUR HELP" and "SPECTRE, THIS WAY" and whatever. You've got the Indian guy who wants his wife's body back, the crime boss lady who wants to take out the competition, Emily Wong waves you down multiple times, that's not to mention all the people who are all but yelling "GOSH I SURE NEED HELP TOO BAD THERE'S NOBODY AROUND" like Admiral Kahoku, the Elcor ambassador who has issues with the Consort, the maintenance people on Feros, etc.

So yeah the old games were like this too and if you don't think so, go replay them.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
PM me the spoiler too, super curious now

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Ages posted:

Intentionally depressing?

No.

gmq posted:

This game sucks, I can't use the toilet in the Tempest's bathroom. :colbert:

I only want to know if it's depressing because it sucks or because you didn't want to know.

Because it explains something that didn't need to be explained with an explanation that doesn't actually work within the constraints of the lore.

It's also extremely dumb.

It also retroactively makes the original trilogy worse, but somehow makes the ending of ME3 better in the process?

I just wanted to mope, not derail the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Serf posted:

A couple of weird animation things I noticed:

-Ryder grinning like an idiot any time someone mentions her dead dad

I dunno if this is a bug.