Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

anime was right posted:

north korea is like the least objectionable place to invade to most people in america, probably

I think the big danger in invading North Korea is that neither China nor South Korea want the inevitable tide of refugees coming over their border. Sure chances are they'll be willing to work or whatever other Calvinist bullshit concerns get thrown around, but they come from a place that's culturally a loving fantasy land. The language is probably intelligible to South Koreans but not Chinese people, and it's unlikely that it'll be easy for them to integrate easily, meaning they'll quickly be ghettoized, making the issue worse since it encapsulates the image of the refugees and makes them more easily ignored.

Granted there's "only" a few million North Koreans total and most will stay in their homeland but even 100k refugees is a huge effort to receive and place.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
all this poo poo is so loving cool heal yeah! Let's do this! Chilling, MAGAing wahtever.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

euphronius posted:

Just saying blowing up an occupied mosque for no reason is a war crime of the first degree.

Look it's cool, we get a freebie if Syria wants to bomb a Church in Wisconsin on a Sunday morning. No bigs and we call it even.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The other big problem with invading nk is that the USA could lose

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DrPossum posted:

maam im sorry the frosty dispenser is down i cant do anything right now

<-- birch i make my own i ordered the peach cobbbler served on a sympathhdtic shoulder

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

We're all gonna die. :smith:
I should make my will and testament now; I leave all my valuables to my sister and her family, my shitposts to c-spam, and my sweaty boxers to McCain.

:) these are things you should anywaysno one wlil enjoy your fruits and your work life is always awaste

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I think the big danger in invading North Korea is that neither China not South Korea want the inevitable tide of refugees coming over their border. Sure chances are they'll be willing to work or whatever other Calvinist bullshit concerns get thrown around, but they come from a place that's culturally a loving fantasy land. The language is probably intelligible to South Koreans but not Chinese people, and it's unlikely that it'll be easy for them to integrate easily, meaning they'll quickly be ghettoized, making the issue worse since it encapsulates the image of the refugees and makes them more easily ignored.

Holocaust 2 Korean Boogaloo

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

cumshitter posted:

<-- birch i make my own i ordered the peach cobbbler served on a sympathhdtic shoulder

please pull up to the third window

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

euphronius posted:

they will greet us as liberators, the war will pay for itself...

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Owned

https://twitter.com/brentbozell/status/842541531487723520

https://twitter.com/fakedansavage/status/842553650815930368

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

america should invade north korea and take over their meth labs

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DrPossum posted:

please pull up to the third window

whoa thats and idea. a fancy fast food reasterunt with 7 courses and 7 windowws

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Lol

https://twitter.com/kfile/status/842554205156130816

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Spoondick posted:

I vote rate farms. Could use some high quality low cost malk.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Spoondick posted:

i agree, why should we be paying premium meth prices here? support bernie sanders bill to lower import drug prices.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Wait did trump really bomb a mosque. Please tell me you guys are loving around

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

this is to be expected.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lmao

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Squizzle posted:

a veritable snorlax of cataphoresis

baloogian

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Lastgirl posted:

your grampa was awesome as h*ck

thanks for the perspective on meals on wheels :beerpal:

my great-grandfather was some spy for Sweden who helped save the Jews in Nazi-occupied Denmark via rowboats. he had to kill his son because he was a Nazi. all in all, he was a good guy who I wish I could have met

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Consummate Professional posted:

prolly 60 ppl are dead now

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Spoondick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ai5ux_1FB8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx2fEHAcrJA

good luck

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

naw we would win (eventually) but lol @ the human and economic costs of just defeating the north korean army

huge LOL @ the costs of rebuilding n korea, dealing with refugees, true believer terrorists, remnants of the old army, chinese instability, korean/japanese economic turmoil and fallout...

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
the real problem rn is that NK getting nervous and threatening to nuke the rest of the korean peninsula and we have a state department that is completely incapable of handling the situation

hey china you want a multipolar world you better loving solve this

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Weeping Wound posted:

my great-grandfather was some spy for Sweden who helped save the Jews in Nazi-occupied Denmark via rowboats. he had to kill his son because he was a Nazi. all in all, he was a good guy who I wish I could have met

my grandpa designed expensive military weapons that were never used and cost the government billions

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
north korea isn't gonna do poo poo on its own unless trump does something loving stupid and chooses to start a war with it

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

cumshitter posted:

whoa thats and idea. a fancy fast food reasterunt with 7 courses and 7 windowws

PLEASE PULL UP TO THE 88TH WINDOW

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Mo_Steel posted:

So, Brotherhood, Institute, Railroad or Minutemen once the nukes start flying guys?

I'm leaning Brotherhood, airships own.

Minutemen. They have the coolest, dumbest outfits and work well with others and don't get all bent out of shape racist if you're traveling with some synths.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
like what the media and other morons in our government can't ever understand is that eternal war against the USA and imperialism is a key part of north korea's daily regimen of propaganda

saying bad poo poo about the USA/threatening to kill all americans is nothing new and is actually a reassuring measure that everything is status quo in n korea

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there some reason post-ww2 that we can't/won't fight declared, total wars instead of police actions or whatever?

for whatever reason i have it in my head that the only reason conflicts like vietnam and iraq are quagmires is because they are done in half measures for appearances

can someone who feels like writing words address this because i do not even know what to google to learn about it

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Consummate Professional posted:

This is nothing currently on CNN"s front page about it. So, no.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

They're good cums, Brent.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Addamere posted:

is there some reason post-ww2 that we can't/won't fight declared, total wars instead of police actions or whatever?

for whatever reason i have it in my head that the only reason conflicts like vietnam and iraq are quagmires is because they are done in half measures for appearances

can someone who feels like writing words address this because i do not even know what to google to learn about it

Total war requires enormous economic and manpower costs, and to conduct total war most powerful and wealthy countries had to resort to years of rationing goods in order to fight it. Also, you need a draft to have enough manpower because volunteers won't be enough. Most democratic countries are nowhere near willing to shoulder the burden of total war unless there's a literal hitler marching across the globe (and we still didn't do poo poo until Japan forced our hand in WW2). Even then we still had an army composed mostly of draftees. (Korea was also mostly draftees, though lots of WW2 holdovers as well)

We like police actions because we can kind of half-assedly try to influence stuff with what we have lying around. Vietnam had a draft but we haven't done one since, and we tried doing Vietnam without a draft and only started drafting once mission creep forced us to in order to save face. Vast majority of our forces were still volunteers.

Why is it mostly post-WW2? Probably has something to do with technological advances making insurgency more feasible/effective, changes in media making human and economic costs more apparent, democratic institutions making it easier for popular resistance to stop wars/drafts/rationing, etc.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

euphronius posted:

we still havent even dealt with the past 400 scandals!

This seems to be the Trump plan, just have multiple fresh scandals every day so nobody can keep up with damage control.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Addamere posted:

total war literally means attacking not just enemy troops and weapons but the infrastructure used to support their ability to make war i.e. bombing civilians and cities

it's kinda frowned upon

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

north korea isn't gonna do poo poo on its own unless trump does something loving stupid and chooses to start a war with it

north korea's strategy hinges on their ability to launch multiple warheads and intimidate the other two actors (SK and US) into not doing anything

it is a bad strategy, because the US will retaliate, but preemptive nuclear strike is the only real strategy NK has

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

its like the piss christ thing

there's a george f will op-ed in the post about how the NEA just funds garbage because of piss christ, a 30 year old photo

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DrPossum posted:

PLEASE PULL UP TO THE 88TH WINDOW

fash food time machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JosefStalinator posted:

Total war requires enormous economic and manpower costs, and to conduct total war most powerful and wealthy countries had to resort to years of rationing goods in order to fight it. Also, you need a draft to have enough manpower because volunteers won't be enough. Most democratic countries are nowhere near willing to shoulder the burden of total war unless there's a literal hitler marching across the globe (and we still didn't do poo poo until Japan forced our hand in WW2). Even then we still had an army composed mostly of draftees. (Korea was also mostly draftees, though lots of WW2 holdovers as well)

We like police actions because we can kind of half-assedly try to influence stuff with what we have lying around. Vietnam had a draft but we haven't done one since, and we tried doing Vietnam without a draft and only started drafting once mission creep forced us to in order to save face. Vast majority of our forces were still volunteers.

Why is it mostly post-WW2? Probably has something to do with technological advances making insurgency more feasible/effective, changes in media making human and economic costs more apparent, democratic institutions making it easier for popular resistance to stop wars/drafts/rationing, etc.

thanks for this, do you have any recommended readings on the topic from a popular science level of reading

• Locked thread