Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Has anyone managed to unlock the werewolf yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

The Lone Badger posted:

Has anyone managed to unlock the werewolf yet?

Yes. You need a weapon designed specifically to bust ghosts.
If you've unlocked the rest of the classes, look at the starting gear, you might see something appropriate.

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

occamsnailfile posted:

I'm trying to figure out the ghost thing myself, but there appears to be a 'ghost gibber ray' in the game somewhere so that's probably it.\

If you unlock the scientist (put things into the AC units 5 times), he comes with the Ghost Gibber.

Edit: whoops, forgot to read the next page!

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I quite liked Streets of Rogue but the melee combat feels like a mess. It's so fidgety. You run around and then hit your enemy or don't. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Happily there are so many options that you don't really need to take part...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:agreed:

I love the gameplay loop of SoR, I love how even with the few missions there are, you can go about solving them in a lot of ways. I'm sort of enjoying the sense of humor ,even. But I don't see myself ever buying it because the controls feel so mushy.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Has anyone in this thread played Mission: Thunderbolt? This was a macintosh game from the late 80's and according to Wikipedia it is a roguelike.

Anyway, I didn't see it mentioned in the OP so just wondering if anyone else had heard of played it before. I spent an inordinate number of childhood hours playing this game.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Some, and it was part of a series of Roguelikes at that----though the third, and perhaps best, remains perhaps trapped forever on some ancient DEC machines.

One of the earliest casualties of the Western Commercial Roguelike scene. :/ The timing and luck of business wranglings just didn't line up.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
having also tried streets of rogue, it seems pretty neat but i also agree the controls feel like they're working against me

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

fridge corn posted:

Has anyone in this thread played Mission: Thunderbolt? This was a macintosh game from the late 80's and according to Wikipedia it is a roguelike.

Anyway, I didn't see it mentioned in the OP so just wondering if anyone else had heard of played it before. I spent an inordinate number of childhood hours playing this game.

Oh geeze, that sounds vaguely familiar. I think I was too dumb to figure the game out and always died quickly though.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

PMush Perfect posted:

:agreed:

I love the gameplay loop of SoR, I love how even with the few missions there are, you can go about solving them in a lot of ways. I'm sort of enjoying the sense of humor ,even. But I don't see myself ever buying it because the controls feel so mushy.

The only time it really felt difficult for me was trying to do backstabs with the assassin. That was overly finnicky considering how punishing it is to screw up a camouflaged backstab.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

fridge corn posted:

i played this on my parents' mac as a kid! the first roguelike i'd played, though i didn't hear of the term for years afterward.

i was way too young to make much progress in it, sadly... never came anywhere close to beating it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

i played this on my parents' mac as a kid! the first roguelike i'd played, though i didn't hear of the term for years afterward.

i was way too young to make much progress in it, sadly... never came anywhere close to beating it

Yeah same, I don't even know if it was possible to beat, even cheating with hex editors I never managed to finish it.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/FreeholdGames/status/841377388764229632

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

Cogmind livestream on twitch right now https://www.twitch.tv/kyzrati

First time I've seen the game in motion, it looks pretty rad with all the cool glitch visual effects and cyberpunk text

edit: :psylon:

Ator fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 14, 2017

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

fridge corn posted:

I never played it, but I looked it up and I love the combat animation and sound effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s09El7ARRic

Between the screams and the floor pills it's giving me flashbacks to when I played Sec in Space Station 13.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Them good games

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
caves of gud

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ator posted:

Cogmind livestream on twitch right now https://www.twitch.tv/kyzrati

First time I've seen the game in motion, it looks pretty rad with all the cool glitch visual effects and cyberpunk text

edit: :psylon:

cogmind loving rules

Weedle
May 31, 2006

rt4 posted:

cogmind loving rules

:yeah:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

packetmantis posted:

caves of gud

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
Hey all, as you may or may not know, the 7 Day Roguelike Challenge (Develop a roguelike in 7 days) has just completed - the full list of games is available here but I thought I'd come and shamelessly plug my own entry. Cyan Security is my 10th entry into the challenge, wherin you play a security robot on a mission to suppress disorder in the city district - a sort of chain quest that leads you through a few different areas.

A couple of unique features I implemented are 2x2 tile enemies (and a 2x2 self when you're charged up!), and a 3x3 final boss. This came with a few challenges in hacking apart my old line of sight and path-finding algorithms. Also a health pool which you draw from to use abilities - meaning a careful balance of not using them too much, but just enough to stay on top of encounters. In last years challenge, along with making a game, I ported some lighting code into my engine. During this year's challenge I expanded it to include coloring and neato things like flickering and pulsing glow effects.

Liberal use of these has made everything look pretty extra sweet, so I've been putting extra effort into promoting it... It came out very cyberpunk.

Download Here, and let me know what you think.

Lektor
May 1, 2013
Just completed it on first attempt very cool and atmospheric! Slight bug with the final boss, if he is partially out of sight he doesn't do anything and you can just shoot him to death.

Also was i really unlucky or do ranged weapons not drop until the third area?

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
Glad you like it!

You were unlucky, if an equipment drop occurs it's equally likely to be armor, melee or ranged. And yep, looks like the boss has a sight range of 7 while the hero has 8. I bumped it up and released a post-challenge bug-fix version :)

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Those screenshots are very, very pretty

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Those screenshots are very, very pretty

Numeron did you knock out all those sprites in a week too?

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I never played it, but I looked it up and I love the combat animation and sound effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s09El7ARRic

Between the screams and the floor pills it's giving me flashbacks to when I played Sec in Space Station 13.

It had a kickass splash screen as well.

There were a few interesting roguelikes for classic Macintosh. Someone already mentioned The Dungeon of Doom, but there was also a port of the original Rogue with B&W graphics and mouse support.

NAG fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 15, 2017

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.

madjackmcmad posted:

Numeron did you knock out all those sprites in a week too?

A whole bunch during the week but not all. I started out with a small set from here, several uears ago and its grown and grown over each comp. Incidentally, being based off a CC license it means the work ive done is also freely available under the same license. Pm me with your email if you want the full set.

Numeron fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 15, 2017

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Numeron posted:

A whole bunch during the week but not all. I started out with a small set from here, several uears ago and its grown and grown over each comp. Incidentally, being based off a CC license it means the work ive done is also freely available under the same license. Pm me with your email if you want the full set.

I might just do so, they're really cool! Good show.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

andrew smash posted:

Them good games

Is Sproggiwood good? I got it in a recent Humble Bundle but haven't installed it yet.

(I also have Caves of Qud but haven't gotten to playing that either)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Zerilan posted:

Is Sproggiwood good? I got it in a recent Humble Bundle but haven't installed it yet.

(I also have Caves of Qud but haven't gotten to playing that either)

Yes!

They're both fantastic, but in different ways. Sproggiwood is a roguelike-lite, in that it's meant for short sessions, you don't have permanent characters (you do unlock permanent items/upgrades) and it's highly tactical, very focused, lots of fun.

Caves of Qud meanwhile lets you start the game with four arms, capable of starting fires with your mind, and prone to teleporting at random because you're a terrible mutant.

e: In other words, Sproggiwood is good for playing, and I love it a lot, but Caves of Qud is the story generator that you will be playing for the next decade because if you don't want to be a fire-starting mutant, why not be a flying gunslinger instead?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
My four-armed gun-toting mad scientist knife fighter accidentally befriended about 50% of Qud because the ancient ruined military barracks he was exploring turned out to be overflowing with pygmies and legendary robots that absolutely everyone hated for questioning the origins of the moon, burning people in effigy, making offensive jokes, and generally being petty assholes. He is now welcome basically everywhere and can wander aimlessly through quest dungeons like Mr. Magoo because if anything takes a swing at him half of the level instantly converges in a frothing rage, incensed that anyone would dare to strike Knifey McNerd, bane of douchebag robots.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Hitting that gamedev grind after a while. Here is a video of my roguelike after I've done some work this week. Most visible improvements are animations, some debug modes, minor but nifty dungeon gen techniques, and making your torch fade. every. step. you. take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ts5ON9fiM
Forgot I left some Skyrim music going while I recorded

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

WaterIsPoison posted:

Hitting that gamedev grind after a while. Here is a video of my roguelike after I've done some work this week. Most visible improvements are animations, some debug modes, minor but nifty dungeon gen techniques, and making your torch fade. every. step. you. take.

Get itttttt

Lookin cool! What's the arrow around the player for, is it facing or next-step/attack indicator?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NAG posted:

Yes!!!!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

NAG posted:

I do not remember the game itself at all, but man, that splash screen is etched into my brain. Look at that thing. Renee Zellweger fights Domo-kun's drug addict cousin and C3P0 with a shotgun pistol.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

that rain vest looks very poorly designed

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I like how she has to wear her tiny visor on her head because it won't fit properly on her eyes.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

Get itttttt

Lookin cool! What's the arrow around the player for, is it facing or next-step/attack indicator?

Yes, it's orientation indicator for combat. The plan is to flesh out melee to just a step above bump combat where you can only block/attack from certain directions and you can strafe/change directions with key modifiers.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

WaterIsPoison posted:

I love that torch effect, very nice. Should it have been lighting up the lower right corner as much as it was, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

RickVoid posted:

I love that torch effect, very nice. Should it have been lighting up the lower right corner as much as it was, though?

No, that's a known bug that I'll get around to fixing eventually. Has to do with properly adding light at map generation.