Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Endless Mike posted:

Zdarsky loves his Ani-men, I guess.

Edge & Christian posted:

Ahem, that's Frog-Man II, who they EXPLICITLY TELL YOU NOT TO CONFUSE WITH FROG-MAN I. THEY ASKED YOU POLITELY BUT FIRMLY RIGHT IN THE MASTER EDITION.

Frog-man 2 is also pretty obviously biting Leap-Frog's gimmick more than anything to do with the original Frog-man.

And since I brought up Leap-Frog, I can't not bring up how terrifying he used to look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Lurdiak posted:

Frog-man 2 is also pretty obviously biting Leap-Frog's gimmick more than anything to do with the original Frog-man.

And since I brought up Leap-Frog, I can't not bring up how terrifying he used to look.

Frog-Man II is literally Leap-Frog's son who took his costume and tried to make something of himself.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Didn't Frog Man II get horribly maimed in the Thunderbolts series with Osborn in control?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Frog-Man II is literally Leap-Frog's son who took his costume and tried to make something of himself.

I think you're conflating 2 stories involving frogs that were published the same year.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nah, he's correct. Frog-"killed a man jk"-man is Leap-Frog's son.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rirse posted:

Didn't Frog Man II get horribly maimed in the Thunderbolts series with Osborn in control?
I know that was the MO for that series but as best I remember/can see from a quick search they just arrested/maimed/destroyed ("revamped" in Ellis speak) Jack Flag, American Eagle, and Steel Spider.

Frog-Man (II) and Spider-Kid were briefly a team-up in 1980s Spider-Man comics, as a couple of nerdy goofs that wanted to show up Spider-Man.

In Thunderbolts Spider-Kid was now Steel Spider, a hard-drinking rebel fighting the SHRA. He got a scene of being a cool badass who could hold his own with some of the Thunderbolts, then Venom ate most of him.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Didn't Toad join Frog Man and Spider Kid as a team called the Misfits? I remember a pretty epic cover.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

X-O posted:

Day 29: Thunderstrike

The greatest of all superheroes maybe? Eric Masterson is obviously the best Thor ever that wasn't a frog or alien horse looking dude. I'm sure there's no argument on that. The only thing that would have made Thunderstrike better was if he had the little mask like he did when was Thor. The same one Jane has now.

quote:

Thor #421 gave up custody of his son to wife

The hell are these comics? That sounds awesome.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 32: Doughboy

Created by Arnim Zola, which is unsurprising.

"His body resembles dough both in appearance and in consistency."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"The general populace is unaware of Doughboy's existence" kind of sums him up.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Look out, it's Majin Buu's crusty brother!

ImpAtom posted:

"The general populace is unaware of Doughboy's existence" kind of sums him up.

Whether it was intended that way or not, I don't think there's a way to read each instance of 'The general populace of earth etc." as anything but sarcastic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He looks so happy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Doughboy was also in an episode of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

https://streamable.com/t23g8

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I just want to say I love this thread so much

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

I know that was the MO for that series but as best I remember/can see from a quick search they just arrested/maimed/destroyed ("revamped" in Ellis speak) Jack Flag, American Eagle, and Steel Spider.

Frog-Man (II) and Spider-Kid were briefly a team-up in 1980s Spider-Man comics, as a couple of nerdy goofs that wanted to show up Spider-Man.

In Thunderbolts Spider-Kid was now Steel Spider, a hard-drinking rebel fighting the SHRA. He got a scene of being a cool badass who could hold his own with some of the Thunderbolts, then Venom ate most of him.

American Eagle actually ended kicking everyone's rear end. It was great.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I just want to say I love this thread so much

Yeah. Doughboy is something truly incredible. And I'd never have known about him until this thread

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
red skull used to lead a skeleton-themed villain group called skeleton crew? i guess crossbones is the only member that lasted to the present.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They were skeleton-themed in that Red Skull has a skull for a face and his henchman Crossbones was bone-themed because he henched for a guy with a skull for a face. Everyone else was just a D-list villain with their own gimmick that went back to being an E-list villain once Red Skull got bored of being low-rent Cobra Commander.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Ghostlight posted:

They were skeleton-themed in that Red Skull has a skull for a face and his henchman Crossbones was bone-themed because he henched for a guy with a skull for a face. Everyone else was just a D-list villain with their own gimmick that went back to being an E-list villain once Red Skull got bored of being low-rent Cobra Commander.

Comics rule

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

doughboy is my favorite supervillain and he's also the best supervillain

here's another opinion: all of the animen loving rule

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The Animen would be my jobbers of choice because the Wrecking Crew and Serpent Society are so played out.

As ironic as current writers are, I can't believe we're this far into this millennium without Deadpool shoving Doughboy into a giant oven, or him brutally murdering someone in a Bendis book.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Open Marriage Night posted:

The Animen would be my jobbers of choice because the Wrecking Crew and Serpent Society are so played out.

As ironic as current writers are, I can't believe we're this far into this millennium without Deadpool shoving Doughboy into a giant oven, or him brutally murdering someone in a Bendis book.

Man we're already getting the Spot as a badass enforcer type in Jessica Jones, what more do you want?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Any writer worth their page rate would use the Spot. Bendis falls far short of Waid's use of him in Daredevil though. That was some amazing stuff.

Daredevil fighting the Spot feels like one of those things that Waid came up with in a lucid dream, like DD driving a car. The guy lives super heroes.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 17, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not much of a daredevil fan, but that really was a great run.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

hup posted:

Yeah. Doughboy is something truly incredible. And I'd never have known about him until this thread

and of COURSE Kirby created him

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

No one since has really captured the wild-eyed grinning insanity Kirby gave Zola and it's a real loss for the comics world.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Pastry of the Year posted:

and of COURSE Kirby created him

what a loving page

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, there's a reason that Marvel pretty much officially made him God of the Marvel Universe.

Kirby, not Doughboy.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wanderer posted:

Weird coincidence: 8-Ball shows up for a panel in today's new issue of Star-Lord, so I guess there's another one now.

The card game Sentinels of the Multiverse also, um, homaged 8-Ball:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That's probably just a coincidence, it's not like it's an entirely original design. Homestuck had a villain named Lord English that also had a cueball for a head, and talked in pool puns. I doubt the creator of Homestuck knew this one Marvel character too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IUG posted:

That's probably just a coincidence, it's not like it's an entirely original design. Homestuck had a villain named Lord English that also had a cueball for a head, and talked in pool puns. I doubt the creator of Homestuck knew this one Marvel character too.

Nah, SotM's entire thing is that it has similar-but-different versions of heroes and villains. Pretty much every single character is a slight-knockoff of an existing character. (Though to their credit they have some pretty cool ways of making a character similar but different.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ah, I've never heard of whatever that is. I just assumed it was some card game or webcomic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IUG posted:

Ah, I've never heard of whatever that is. I just assumed it was some card game or webcomic.

It is a card game. it's a pretty fun one too. There's actually a digital version of it available on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/337150/

The art is completely goddamn poo poo early on but gets better as its expansions come out, though it's always pretty webcomicy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NorgLyle posted:

My favorite thing about the Ani-Men has nothing to do with them. But immediately after Thunderbird's death there's a fantastically hilarious issue of X-Men where Cyclops is dealing with being a bad leader (since it was apparently his fault that Thunderbird jumped on a jet and punched it until it exploded to try and kill some guy in a vampire cape and monocle) and he's out wandering around in the woods when he has a little fit of emorage and blasts the forest with his optic beams. In doing so, for some reason, he shatters an ancient (I suppose) Native American ritual stone thing that releases an angry demon who comest to the mansion and tries to murder all the X-Men as they do. They fight him for a while and eventually defeat it and everyone just sort of goes "Huh. That was weird."

Yeah, that's the bit where Cyclops gets into a shouting match with the caption boxes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 33: Adam Warlock, Kismet, Magus, & Goddess

Today we'll just lump these all together as they're all related. I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with Adam Warlock. Well Kismet is his female counterpart, also known as Her or Ayesha. She's also in the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy sequel. Magus and Goddess are parts of Adam Warlock. They were the villains in Infinity War and Infinity Crusade. When Adam Warlock took the Infinity Gauntlet from Nebula in order to rule as a more pragmatic God he shed the good and evil parts of his psyche. Unfortunately those halves manifested their own personas. Magus represents the evil parts and Goddess the good. Magus also was a major part of the early Adam Warlock stories from Jim Starlin along with the Universal Church of Truth.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Warlock's personal chronology is pretty hosed up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For anyone who has it, Marvel Unlimited just added Warlock and the Infinity Watch this week.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Such a shame those fresh-rear end character designs got wasted on Adam Warlock spin-offs.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HitTheTargets posted:

Such a shame those fresh-rear end character designs got wasted on Adam Warlock spin-offs.

Magus is a little too pastel for me. Those colours could stand to be a little darker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Magus is very of-his-time.

• Locked thread