Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Back when I was shopping around for an ITX case, I almost got the Nano S until I saw some youtube review of it mention the GPU/PSU clearance problem. It seems like an embarrassing problem to have when you have far smaller cases (Sugo S13, S4 Mini) completely sidestep that issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So AMD's X300 chipset for the SFF market segment as, listed in specifications, that it supports 1x16 PCI-E or 2x8 PCI-E. Does AMD count mATX as SFF?

https://hardocp.com/news/2017/03/15/amd_ryzen_5_processors_start_at_169_launch_on_april_11th

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
What other options are there in the larger ITX category that can fit a full size air cooler or 240mm AIO? The define S and EVOLV ITX were my top choices but I don't want anything to do with those GPU clearance issues. The core V1 would be perfect but I don't really like the aesthetics or the width of the case.

EDIT: Probably just gonna go with the Nano S and a short PSU.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 16, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

SlayVus posted:

So AMD's X300 chipset for the SFF market segment as, listed in specifications, that it supports 1x16 PCI-E or 2x8 PCI-E. Does AMD count mATX as SFF?

https://hardocp.com/news/2017/03/15/amd_ryzen_5_processors_start_at_169_launch_on_april_11th

It would probably be determined by which case you use. There are plenty of mATX SFF cases that I would consider SFF, but most of them have things like half height PCI-E slots or don't support ATX PSUs.

That said, how many lanes do the Ryzen chipsets have? Will it be possible to have mITX, a GPU at 16x and an NVME drive?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

buglord posted:

Back when I was shopping around for an ITX case, I almost got the Nano S until I saw some youtube review of it mention the GPU/PSU clearance problem. It seems like an embarrassing problem to have when you have far smaller cases (Sugo S13, S4 Mini) completely sidestep that issue.

MaxxBot posted:

What other options are there in the larger ITX category that can fit a full size air cooler or 240mm AIO? The define S and EVOLV ITX were my top choices but I don't want anything to do with those GPU clearance issues. The core V1 would be perfect but I don't really like the aesthetics or the width of the case.

EDIT: Probably just gonna go with the Nano S and a short PSU.

I moved from a Coolermaster Elite 130 to the Nano S, and while the clearance is small, the lower front 120/140mm fan can push a decent amount of cool air across the GPU. I've got an Asus Strix Z270i that has a T_Sensor lead, which I have controlling said fan via PWM based on the GPU temp. I've got a EVGA 1080FTW and temps haven't been an issue at all.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
BitFenix is releasing an interesting mITX case. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bitfenix-portal-mini-itx-case,4968.html

29L without the feet, 40L with. Biggest issue, very bad thermals. Almost 13*C worse than a Define Nano S.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

SlayVus posted:

mITX case

29L without the feet, 40L with

very bad thermals
Absolutely pathetic. Truly terrible

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just wanted to check back in. The NUC was just what I needed. It's a very nice little box. I don't think I could have built one on my own that performs this well and is this small.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot
I wonder how well an NUC performs with an external gpu...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Probably not great since the CPU is usually underpowered and locked. It'll throttle from heat or reach its usage limit real early.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I don't know that I ever saw issues with heat in mine but most models have a 15W dual-core so you're not going to be thrilled by CPU performance. You could use the quad-core Skull Canyon for a much better situation there, but of course that would cost substantially more.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Switching from my Gigabyte G1 1070 (open air cooler) to my Nvidia 1080 Ti Founders Edition (Blower) in my RVZ02 has a noticable difference in temperatures when it comes to my CPU.

I used to hit 85-90 degrees celsius when streaming (CPU encoding) and playing a game. With the blower, I haven't even hit 80 degrees on my CPU yet when playing and streaming. I'm surprised it's that big of a difference because the RVZ02 has it's own GPU chamber but I guess my G1 1070 just recycled hot air

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

SlayVus posted:

BitFenix is releasing an interesting mITX case. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bitfenix-portal-mini-itx-case,4968.html

29L without the feet, 40L with. Biggest issue, very bad thermals. Almost 13*C worse than a Define Nano S.

They tried.

They failed.

Can't wait for Black Friday this year, finally going to upgrade cpu/mb/ram. Yes, I am looking that far ahead.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Wistful of Dollars posted:

They tried.

They failed.

Can't wait for Black Friday this year, finally going to upgrade cpu/mb/ram. Yes, I am looking that far ahead.

It's kind of sad that to this day, BitFenix's best case was the prodigy which was their first case, too.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

This looks awesome, is there anything else in this category worth considering? Does the PCI extender run at full speed?

We'll find out in a few days when all the parts arrive. Here's what I chose to put in:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($113.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Already Purchased)
Storage: Hitachi Travelstar 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Already Purchased)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card (Already Purchased)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Corsair)
Other: Dan A4 (Already Purchased)
Other: G.SKILL Aegis 16Gb (2x8GB) DDR4-3000 RAM ($109.99)
Total: $693.96

Should be a nice little VR machine.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rabid Snake posted:

Switching from my Gigabyte G1 1070 (open air cooler) to my Nvidia 1080 Ti Founders Edition (Blower) in my RVZ02 has a noticable difference in temperatures when it comes to my CPU.

I used to hit 85-90 degrees celsius when streaming (CPU encoding) and playing a game. With the blower, I haven't even hit 80 degrees on my CPU yet when playing and streaming. I'm surprised it's that big of a difference because the RVZ02 has it's own GPU chamber but I guess my G1 1070 just recycled hot air

Yeah, but that blower's loud.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I ordered https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Compound-Performance-Heatsink-Interface/dp/B0045JCFLY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 , but I heard IC Diamond stuff is better (also more expensive but I'm p much willing to do anything to knock some C off of my CPU temps). Any opinions?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I did some research on this around January and ended up concluding that Thermal Grizzly Aeronaut is good bang for buck, being a solid performer and $11/7.8g on Amazon. Haven't actually had an occasion to use it yet, but I feel like it came up really high in the rankings in a paste roundup at Tom's Hardware or maybe another tech site.

e: Here it is, not Tom's Hardware but it's a good assortment of options. There are a lot of pastes that are rated a little bit higher, but most of the ones I was able to find cost substantially more and aren't that much better except for the liquid metal ones. The other TG pastes Hydronaut and Kryonaut for example, they're on Amazon but come in much smaller tubes.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 22, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Corsair released the Corsair One PC which is their custom SFF using mostly off the shelf parts. It features two 240MM radiators on the sides using one fan on the top to create negative pressure and intake through both radiators. It's a pretty cool design and supposedly its only 12L but I'm not 100% sure that's correct. It's also fairly expensive and they don't want you upgrading it on your own, but it is pretty nice looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELG55Hzbt9g

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

Corsair released the Corsair One PC which is their custom SFF using mostly off the shelf parts. It features two 240MM radiators on the sides using one fan on the top to create negative pressure and intake through both radiators. It's a pretty cool design and supposedly its only 12L but I'm not 100% sure that's correct. It's also fairly expensive and they don't want you upgrading it on your own, but it is pretty nice looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELG55Hzbt9g

They're trying to pull an Apple, which I can't get behind. The biggest reason to go PC has always been modularity and upgradability, and most major PC makers won't void your warranty for installing standard upgrade parts.

I understand that the GPU cooling package is application-specific, but the CPU & waterblock, RAM and drives are all standard components, and it appears to even be using an off-the-shelf mITX motherboard.

If Corsair offered this case by itself, or even as a barebones package, I would be all over it. As it stands, I can't condone their warranty policy that strictly prohibits upgrades.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now

fatman1683 posted:

If Corsair offered this case by itself, or even as a barebones package, I would be all over it. As it stands, I can't condone their warranty policy that strictly prohibits upgrades.

Are there any commercial cases that have a similar cooling strategy to the case in the Corsair system? The reviews I've seen of it say both the noise and cooling performance are quite nice, but the cons you mention are kind of a dealbreaker.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

bacon! posted:

Are there any commercial cases that have a similar cooling strategy to the case in the Corsair system? The reviews I've seen of it say both the noise and cooling performance are quite nice, but the cons you mention are kind of a dealbreaker.

Probably the Silverstone Fortress cases currently, and at some point (maybe?) this year the Cryorig Ola.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Oh my, that Corsair case is seriously pinging all of my love buttons. That thing looks absolutely gorgeous! Those triangles are a tiny little thing, but that sort of geometric design is something I would kill a man for to have in my things, definitely on my body in the form of tattoos. But anyways, yeah, something that is bound by a 120mm fan and 240 long radiators will have an absolute minimum volume of ~3.5 cubic decimeters (which are liters). Now, it's obviously a bit bigger than that, but its easy to see how it could be 12L comparing the bounds of the fan and radiators to the actual case. Given we are working in cube space, a quadruple increase in volume would only be around 1 and a half times larger dimension wise, which does make sense. The case does seem to be larger by about half the fan, and half the rad.

oh god that triangle pattern :shlick:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

SourKraut posted:

Probably the Silverstone Fortress cases currently, and at some point (maybe?) this year the Cryorig Ola.

I have a Silverstone FT03-Mini and its not nearly as good. It only supports a 120mm radiator, not 2x240mm. That is a huge difference. Other than the only one case fan and vertical layout there's nothing similar.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Oh my, that Corsair case is seriously pinging all of my love buttons. That thing looks absolutely gorgeous! Those triangles are a tiny little thing, but that sort of geometric design is something I would kill a man for to have in my things, definitely on my body in the form of tattoos. But anyways, yeah, something that is bound by a 120mm fan and 240 long radiators will have an absolute minimum volume of ~3.5 cubic decimeters (which are liters). Now, it's obviously a bit bigger than that, but its easy to see how it could be 12L comparing the bounds of the fan and radiators to the actual case. Given we are working in cube space, a quadruple increase in volume would only be around 1 and a half times larger dimension wise, which does make sense. The case does seem to be larger by about half the fan, and half the rad.

oh god that triangle pattern :shlick:

Well, the Dan Case A4 is pushing the limits on how small you can get an SFX power supply, full size graphics card and a motherboard/cpu at 7.5L. I think the Sentry is a little smaller, but not by much and gives up cooler clearance. So, 7.5+3.5 puts you at 11 anyway and the Corsair is supposedly 12L. I would like to see someone steal Corsairs design and perhaps go with the HDPlex 350W (which can do 400W), saving even more space/heat/noise by taking the PSU out of the case. That way you wouldn't have as much issues with fitting only specific motherboard into that case. The weird thing is, if compared to the Dan Case A4, the motherboard stays in the same layout, but the graphics card is turned vertically, meaning the riser cable has to do two 45 degree bends. At least, I'm pretty sure I'm seeing that right.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

fatman1683 posted:

The biggest reason to go PC has always been modularity and upgradability
I used to think the same thing, but for the past ten years or so every time I've gone to upgrade my PC it's turned into a complete rebuild anyway. At least for me the lack of modularity isn't as much of a dealbreaker any more.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

VulgarandStupid posted:

I have a Silverstone FT03-Mini and its not nearly as good. It only supports a 120mm radiator, not 2x240mm. That is a huge difference. Other than the only one case fan and vertical layout there's nothing similar.

Yeah, I misread the post. I wasn't thinking from an equivalent cooling factor, just from the general aesthetic approach of a vertical square-ish tower. I have the original mATX Fortress (now in a closet) and while I never had cooling issues, it's a pain to work with.

There's boutique cases of similar vertical arrangement available also but they tend to be expensive or hard to obtain.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

I used to think the same thing, but for the past ten years or so every time I've gone to upgrade my PC it's turned into a complete rebuild anyway. At least for me the lack of modularity isn't as much of a dealbreaker any more.

Substitute 'repairability' for 'upgradability' then; with standard components, if something fails out of warranty you just go buy another one and pop it in. Even parts for older standards (DDR3, previous chipsets/sockets) are still widely available.

If this thing has a hardware failure three years from now, good luck getting either replacement parts or any kind of repair support; they'll likely have moved on by then and tell you that you need to buy the Corsair Three or whatever.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

fatman1683 posted:

Substitute 'repairability' for 'upgradability' then; with standard components, if something fails out of warranty you just go buy another one and pop it in. Even parts for older standards (DDR3, previous chipsets/sockets) are still widely available.

If this thing has a hardware failure three years from now, good luck getting either replacement parts or any kind of repair support; they'll likely have moved on by then and tell you that you need to buy the Corsair Three or whatever.

It's actually pretty tough to get older motherboards now, and not pay out the rear end for them. Anything for Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge is really rare now, especially if you want a Z that can overclock. Even motherboards for Haswell are beginning to become thin, especially for mITX Z's.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Seriously. I had a hell of a time finding a z77 ITX board when I down sized. I almost said "gently caress it" and just bought new stuff, but I found one in the end.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Finding a non-OEM MATX board for my i7-2600 plex machine was a pain. They're all crazy expensive.

Son a bitch still won't WOL which was my whole purchase idea.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Finding a non-OEM MATX board for my i7-2600 plex machine was a pain. They're all crazy expensive.

Son a bitch still won't WOL which was my whole purchase idea.

WOL is the flakiest poo poo ever.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's actually pretty tough to get older motherboards now, and not pay out the rear end for them. Anything for Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge is really rare now, especially if you want a Z that can overclock. Even motherboards for Haswell are beginning to become thin, especially for mITX Z's.

I needed some specific parts a while ago, and found an awesome deal on some Sandy/Ivy stuff. Like $220 shipped for a Maximus IV Gene-Z (Z68 MATX) + i7-2600k + 4GB RAM + hard drive + lovely heavy case + 750 watt Antec power supply.

Sold the processor for $120 on Ebay, gave away some parts and repurposed some others. I just can't bring myself to move past Ivy Bridge. Just doesn't seem worth it.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Just finished my Node 202 build. Intel Core i7 7700 (undervolted to 1.15v), 32gig Corsair Dominator 3000 DDR4, Asus Strix Z270i, Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition. I was having issues which I believed was a short in the case. It ended up being the display port cable that was preventing the machine from starting. This same cable has worked fine on my other desktop machines. I know there are several types of display port cables and a lot of them are not manufactured to VESA specs. Anyone have an idea where I can find a cable that is or what to look for?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Photex posted:

WOL is the flakiest poo poo ever.

I can get the packet when the machine is on, but it seems to kill power to the NIC no matter how I shut it down. The computer is in a closet so it's annoying to go turn on, and an i7-2600 costs a decent amount to run 24/7.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I can get the packet when the machine is on, but it seems to kill power to the NIC no matter how I shut it down. The computer is in a closet so it's annoying to go turn on, and an i7-2600 costs a decent amount to run 24/7.

i7-2600 does not cost a decent amount to run 24/7, as long as Speedstep is enabled. I had an i7-2600k system with an ATX B75 motherboard, 16gb of RAM, and 2x SSDs that would idle at ~38 watts from the wall. It was not overclocked, and it wasn't doing a whole lot of work most of the time.

At $.15 per kw/h running that system 24/7 with a minimal load would cost less than $.15 per day, or about $5 a month.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

fatman1683 posted:

They're trying to pull an Apple, which I can't get behind. The biggest reason to go PC has always been modularity and upgradability, and most major PC makers won't void your warranty for installing standard upgrade parts.

I understand that the GPU cooling package is application-specific, but the CPU & waterblock, RAM and drives are all standard components, and it appears to even be using an off-the-shelf mITX motherboard.

To be fair, do you really see yourself upgrading from a GTX 1070 or better in the two year warranty period? If you have that kind of money, you could probably just by a new one.

To me the best reason to go PC is because I'm a huge nerd and like messing around in things, plus I can't do work on a console. I find that if I upgrade anything other than the GPU it's usually a complete rebuild, like when I went from Sandybridge to Skylake last year.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Salted_Pork posted:

To be fair, do you really see yourself upgrading from a GTX 1070 or better in the two year warranty period? If you have that kind of money, you could probably just by a new one.

To me the best reason to go PC is because I'm a huge nerd and like messing around in things, plus I can't do work on a console. I find that if I upgrade anything other than the GPU it's usually a complete rebuild, like when I went from Sandybridge to Skylake last year.

The only thing stopping that computer from being fully upgrade able is motherboard manufacturers can't stop loving around with socket, chipset heat sink and plug placement. If these were standardized, which some of the sub-ITX standards are, anyone could build in this case. It's not like corsair is designing a special motherboard that is a completely new spec. Apple charges such a premium because they've built a massive eco system and spend way more in development and marketing, so they need to make that back and more. In the case of Corsair, they've just chosen parts that fit and made a custom case.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

In the case of Corsair, they've just chosen parts that fit and made a custom case.

That's not really true. Corsair had to develop a cooling system where 1 120mm fan brings air over two radiators. If people start changing things inside the case it's highly likely on radiator will restrict the flow of air more than the other, which would lead to some components overheating.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Salted_Pork posted:

That's not really true. Corsair had to develop a cooling system where 1 120mm fan brings air over two radiators. If people start changing things inside the case it's highly likely on radiator will restrict the flow of air more than the other, which would lead to some components overheating.

Of course, but what could you be adding to a motherboard that takes that much room? It obviously would have to be another ITX board with a fairly traditional layout. Nothing on any motherboard itself extends out more than half an inch. The biggest issue is making sure you find a decent way to get the hoses to fit and there are decent ways to route the cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

Of course, but what could you be adding to a motherboard that takes that much room? It obviously would have to be another ITX board with a fairly traditional layout. Nothing on any motherboard itself extends out more than half an inch. The biggest issue is making sure you find a decent way to get the hoses to fit and there are decent ways to route the cables.

Is there any company that offers a warranty that allows you to open their product and mess around inside it? Corsair is responsible for everything in there, so if someone adds some lovely RAM or a faulty GPU that ruins the PSU, you think Corsair should have to fix it? It's not a warranty for the individual components, it's for the entire system. I think it's pretty entitled to expect Corsair to allow people to open something and mess around with liquid cooling systems and other components without voiding the warranty.

Take any laptop and replace the processor with a different processor. Would you expect the warranty to cover that. There's so much that can go wrong, improper thermal paste application, damaging coolers through over tightening. Normally if you build a system yourself each component is warranted by the manufacturer, but if you put it together wrong stiff poo poo. In this case Corsair is guaranteeing everything is put together correctly, so of course they're not going to be fine with random goons changing things themselves.