Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I think the thing with safety is in this draft is that they're all pretty much specialized players. There isn't an Eric Berry who can play whatever sub position or scheme you want.

There's like five guys who are in the first three rounds who are probably best fit as single high safety(or slot corner/single high). I'm not sure there's a huge market for that sub position. Are there a load of Cover-3 teams without a FS right now?

Seattle could use a backup for Earl!

evilweasel posted:

one of them might not be the oldest but he'd be the best seasoned with a little butter and salt

After the Super Bowl the whole loving league is salty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Every year for the last few years we've rehashed the whole safety and guard in the first or top 10 or top 15 and the argument is always raised that its only "once in an era" talents that go high and its usually wrong.

Teams will take bpa according to their boards because they dont have to pay these guys poo poo in the scheme of things for 4+1 years.

Its the same reason people are surprised at the money veteran role players get in free agency and the heavy 1 year deals that are going around.

Financially it used to be stupid at hell to take a guard early because youd end uo having to pay a guard tackle money or a saftey like they were a tier 1 corner.

If a team can take a scheme fit that will start from day 1 they're going to take them regardless of positioning in the draft.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

BlindSite posted:

Every year for the last few years we've rehashed the whole safety and guard in the first or top 10 or top 15 and the argument is always raised that its only "once in an era" talents that go high and its usually wrong.

Teams will take bpa according to their boards because they dont have to pay these guys poo poo in the scheme of things for 4+1 years.

Its the same reason people are surprised at the money veteran role players get in free agency and the heavy 1 year deals that are going around.

Financially it used to be stupid at hell to take a guard early because youd end uo having to pay a guard tackle money or a saftey like they were a tier 1 corner.

If a team can take a scheme fit that will start from day 1 they're going to take them regardless of positioning in the draft.

This is an excellent point. The new CBA has really helped those positions out.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Cavauro posted:

which prospect would you say is the oldest maize around.

taco charlton

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
According to some sources Joe Mixon is climbing up draft boards. If he goes in the first round, gently caress the NFL. I would say that about any round but I don't have that much faith in the NFL.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Ehud posted:

taco charlton

I've been hoping he climbs the Ravens' draft board because Taco Charlton is a jersey you buy day one.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I've been hoping he climbs the Ravens' draft board because Taco Charlton is a jersey you buy day one.

It's really not. "Charlton" is a boring rear end name to plaster across your back shoulder.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Guys 89 is trying please be nice

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
So who is going to go #1?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zimbomonkey posted:

According to some sources Joe Mixon is climbing up draft boards. If he goes in the first round, gently caress the NFL. I would say that about any round but I don't have that much faith in the NFL.

Panthers are gonna trade back into the first for him :puckout:

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Panthers need a RB but after a couple of high profile incidents they took a really hard stance on avoiding low character guys in the draft. It obviously isn't perfect. We still drafted Greg Hardy. But they have avoided guys who had issues in college.

(Besides we are taking Fournette :getin: )

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

So who is going to go #1?

Corn Elder

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Ehud posted:

Corn Elder

*spits corn everyhwere* Who the- what the!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I hope Corn Elder becomes a hall of famer because I want my son to grow up understanding why I also named him Corn Elder.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/danwiederer/status/842361958724710404

All in on Deshawn. gently caress longneck.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Alright we all know Corn Elder is going #1 overall, but what about my boy Jake Butt?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Butt Broke

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Amy Pole Her posted:

Guys 89 is trying please be nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZftAMgMvVL4

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Redeemed.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

zimbomonkey posted:

It's lovely but the fact he did it in college and teams can argue "B-b-but second chances and he'll get a fresh start in the NFL!" will ensure he gets drafted highly.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Defense

DEs:
1. Solomon Thomas, Stanford
2. Myles Garrett, Texas A&M
3. Derek Barnett, Tennessee
4. Jonathan Allen, Alabama
5. Charles Harris, Missouri

Honorable Mentions: Taco Charlton, Michigan. Carl Lawson, Auburn. Tarell Basham, Ohio. Demarcus Walker, Florida State.

Deep class throughout with elite talent on top. Solomon Thomas absolutely destroyed the Pac-12 and features some of the best get off the line burst since Ware and Osi. Garrett has superb lower body and upper body strength and uses it to shed blockers with ease. Derek Barnett is a technician that has superb recognition skills for pass rushing and run stuffing. Jon Allen started all over the line for Alabama and excelled in their read and react defense. Charles Harris didn’t produce to expectations but has flashed the ability to be a relentless pursuer at the next level. Honorable mentions go deep this year and could go deeper. Features a few guys that are still putting their skills together to go with their frames, like Lawson and Walker.

DTs:
1. Malik McDowell, Michigan State
2. Caleb Brantley, Florida
3. Chris Wormley, Michigan
4. Montravius Adams, Auburn
5. Larry Ogunjobi, North Carolina-Charlotte.

Honorable Mentions: Elijah Qualls, Washington. Ryan Glasgow, Michigan. Dalvin Tomlinson, Alabama.

Underwhelming class with a a potential superstar on top. Malik McDowell would be an undisputed top 15 selection if he didn’t get hurt and underperform at the combine, huge man who can fly through the pocket. Caleb Brantley isn’t the biggest prospect but destroys pockets with ease, needs to get better at conditioning. Chris Wormley formed part of the terrifying line Michigan had this year, not that athletically impressive but is a sound technician. Montravius Adams played all over the line for Auburn but lacked effort and skill, could be coachable. Larry Ogunjobi is a small school prospect that has scouts buzzing after his combine performance, also great production on the field, needs to get bigger though. Honorable mentions feature a few guys who helped contribute on their lines but didn’t wreck their competition enough to be considered exciting prospects.

OLBs:
1. Zach Cunningham, Vanderbilt
2. Haason Reddick, Temple
3. Tim Williams, Alabama
4. Takkarist McKinley, UCLA
5. T.J. Watt, Wisconsin

Honorable Mentions: Ryan Anderson, Alabama. Duke Riley, LSU. Alex Anzalone, Florida. Tyus Bowser, Houston. Ben Boulware, Clemson.

Deep class full of edge rushers and coverage guys. I’m afraid Cunningham is going to fool me like Curry because he’s the do-it-all for Vandy this year. Reddick is a downhill thumper that has pass rushing chops, needs to get a bit bigger. Tim Williams will probably drop a bit due to the gun charges but is a hell of a creator, can’t stick to gap assignments to save his life. McKinley is undersized and raw but has that knack ability to find the ball, probably one of the better coverage guys this year despite him being known for backfield work. T.J. Watt is a raw converted TE but is a backfield threat in run coverage and pass rushing. Honorable mentions feature a bunch of guys who could easily slide up into the top 5 due to preference. Tyus Bowser in particular blew away the combine.

ILBs:
1. Reuben Foster, Alabama
2. Raekwon McMillan, Ohio State
3. Jarrad Davis, Florida
4. Ben Gedeon, Michigan
5. Vince Biegel, Wisconsin

Honorable Mentions: Kendell Beckwith, LSU. Connor Harris, Lindenwood. Blair Brown, Ohio. Jordan Evans, Oklahoma.

Good top three in this class with mostly converted guys for the 3-4 at the next level. Foster pretty much manned the middle for Bama which requires a ton of motor, consistently made plays but might be slotted outside at the next level. McMillan was all over the field for Ohio State even though he isn’t the most agile guy. Jarrad Davis is undersized but destroys the backfield, will have problems in coverage which might slide him over to the strong side. Ben Gedeon is going to get a lot of white LB superlatives and it’s probably right, was the guy who picked up all the tackles Michigan’s front four couldn’t get. Biegel was Wisconsin’s weakside guy last year but he probably slides inside for the 3-4, downhill guy with good get off. Honorable mentions feature a few small school guys that are getting hype and poor Kendell Beckwith who was one of the first prospects to tear their ACL during the draft process!

CBs:
1. Marshon Lattimore, Ohio State
2. Marlon Humphrey, Alabama
3. Teez Tabor, Florida
4. Kevin King, Washington
5. Tre’Davious White, LSU

Honorable Mentions: Adoree Jackson, USC. Sidney Jones, Washington. Fabian Moreau, UCLA. Cordrea Tankersley, Clemson. Gareon Conley, Ohio State. Jordan Lewis, Michigan.

Allstar potential at the top and incredibly deep class throughout. Lattimore combines top tier athleticism and football IQ despite relatively shallow playtime. Marlon Humphrey is a long armed, big bodied DB with tiny hands which is why he’s a DB, can pretty much stick with any deep threat receiver. Teez Tabor had a rough combine which exposed his lack of speed but makes up for it with his short yardage game which is becoming more and more prevalent in today’s NFL. Kevin King was perhaps one of the most impressive athletes at the combine that can stick inside or out, but didn’t look that great on film this year. Tre’Davious White is a classic man corner that can stay with the best of them but might have trouble at the next level with taller downfield threats. Honorable mentions could all interchange behind Humphrey due to team preference, and Sidney Jones would be challenging Lattimore for best CB in the draft if he didn’t tear his ACL. Just an unbelievably deep year for CBs.

FSs:
1. Malik Hooker, Ohio State
2. Budda Baker, Washington
3. Desmond King, Iowa
4. Xavier Woods, Louisiana Tech
5. Marcus Williams, Utah

Honorable Mentions: Marcus Maye, Florida. John Johnson, Boston College. Rayshawn Jenkins, Miami.
Thin class but good talent at the top. Malik Hooker is incredibly raw but has great closing speed to go along with his size. Budda Baker is the Earl Thomas of Washington’s ultra talented DB group, undersized but finds his way to the ball no matter what. Desmond King is a ballhawk that will have problems finding a position as he’s a bit of a tweener between slot, FS, and SS. Xavier Woods has the same problem and will probably bounce between FS or SS as he finds his position, more of a tackler than a cover man. Marcus Williams is a bad tackler for someone his size but is a do-it-all guy with decent speed and pretty great football smarts. Honorable mentions are two guys who tested well, I dunno, I’m tired.

SSs:
1. Jamal Adams, LSU
2. Obi Melifonwu, Connecticut
3. Jabrill Peppers, Michigan
4. Josh Jones, N.C. State
5. Eddie Jackson, Alabama

Honorable Mentions: Shalom Luani, Washington State. Jadar Johnson, Clemson. Delano Hill, Michigan. Montae Nicholson, Michigan State.

Solid class with superstar potential on top. Jamal Adams was the king of LSU this season despite having Fournette on the team, absolute demolisher in the open field and can cover deep routes. Obi Melifonwu rivaled Kevin King’s performance at the combine, maybe it was better, huge man who moves like a WR and tackle machine. Jabrill Peppers is a tweener who tested great but has production questions, kind of allowed to roam free in Michigan’s defense but didn’t produce a lot. Josh Jones is a huge hitter and decent at coverage, kind of still learning the game and where to be at times. Eddie Jackson got hurt and couldn’t fully participate in the combine, didn’t do much in Bama but wasn’t asked to do much. Honorable mentions are raw big guys who are still putting their game together, like Hill and Johnson.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Why is everybody down on Humphrey? Maybe it's just /eagles being a bunch of babies cause Sidney Jones went down (pick him up later in the draft, roll out Humphrey & Sidney Jones next year, gently caress it)

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

89 posted:

Why is everybody down on Humphrey? Maybe it's just /eagles being a bunch of babies cause Sidney Jones went down (pick him up later in the draft, roll out Humphrey & Sidney Jones next year, gently caress it)

Cuz humphrey gets styled on and he's going to be okay but not great imo

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

89 posted:

1st rounders most likely to bust? (Non QB)

I'll contribute with my half-informed opinion....Christian McCaffrey. Those bench numbers are atrocious, and I know that not's everything that goes into a RB. But even Darren Sproles put up 23 bench presses. Christian put up 10. That's in the 1% lowest of all bench press numbers in Combine history. NFL players are twice as fast and twice as strong as college players. McCaffrey is gonna flash and have some crazy plays. And then he's gonna spend the rest of his career on the IR list. I want to be wrong, cause the guy is definitely the great white hope that is going to pan out this time.

ftfy

Man, how was the 2013 draft SO INCREDIBLY BAD?

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 17, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

I can't see this clip without thinking of that Evan Turner edit anymore

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

89 posted:

there was never really a year where he was the best corner on the team unless they were just not throwing at anthony averett because he had safety help

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Budda Baker is super-underrated on this year's Best Football Name power rankings

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
And who's Gareon Conley? He's a name I'm seeing rising into the first round

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

89 posted:

And who's Gareon Conley? He's a name I'm seeing rising into the first round

#1 CB for Ohio State this year. Not as athletically gifted as Marshon Lattimore, but surprised a lot of people with a real good combine. Played well on the outside, but was forced to move to the slot because their #3 corner struggled there.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I feel like 3 of the Cowboys' first 4 picks need to be defense. Doltos, what are the odds that Jordan Willis will still be there in the 3rd and 4th rounds?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

John Brown posted:

I feel like 3 of the Cowboys' first 4 picks need to be defense. Doltos, what are the odds that Jordan Willis will still be there in the 3rd and 4th rounds?

He's one of those guys that tested great at the combine but doesn't play great. Usually guys who test well get taken before the 4th regardless of their college production.

Predicting team valuations is so tough so generally if I say a guy is a top 100 player and he's taken somewhere between the second and late third then he fell into the 50-96 range and that's fine. The differences between all these elite athletes really is that intangible knack to play football. I'd almost always rather grab a guy who plays great and tests worse worse than a workout warrior over the workout warrior. And even then you can constantly be wrong with guys who were underwhelming in college but turned it on in the pros, I.E. everyone who's ever been successful when selected outside of the top 50 but tested well.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Doltos posted:

I'd almost always rather grab a guy who plays great and tests worse worse than a workout warrior over the workout warrior.

You have Fournette ranked higher than Cook even though Cook seems like the guy that has more instinct. Is it just because Fournette is that much more physical?

Also, does Fournette need a good line in front of him?

Also, who is the best fourth round and later receiver that compares well to Calvin Johnson

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

darkforce898 posted:

You have Fournette ranked higher than Cook even though Cook seems like the guy that has more instinct. Is it just because Fournette is that much more physical?

Also, does Fournette need a good line in front of him?

Also, who is the best fourth round and later receiver that compares well to Calvin Johnson

Fournette has plenty of instinct. So does Cook. I'm leaning towards Fournette because Cook is a one cut runner who's good in the open field while Fournette's style of running is a remarkable blend of speed and power. Fournette most likely needs a good line in front of him, Cook will probably be more consistent. Both will probably be outperformed by some lovely 5th round RB because football gods are fickle.

Bigger WRs down the road in this draft are Robert Davis, Krishawn Hogan, Jamari Staples, and Kenny Golladay.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So Doltos is like our TFF Mayock

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

89 posted:

So Doltos is like our TFF Mayock

Why because they both make you want to punch your screen?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Intruder posted:

I can't see this clip without thinking of that Evan Turner edit anymore

That video is so perfect, it is just as good as the check out buddy video

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Doltos is really bad at scouting and predictions, but so is basically everyone and at least it fosters discussion.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
good luck with that
https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/status/838225107768197120

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

:siren:The 2017 Goon Draft thread is here! Pick your teams and we can hopefully get this thing rolling in about a week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cook is apparently a production vs combine measurables guy now, which is pretty stunning to me.

His film is very, very good. I expected him to test really well...and that did not happen. I figure he'll still go relatively high, but I guess we'll see. And then see how that film transfers to the NFL.

• Locked thread