Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Pakled posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1412226584/concealed-carry-awareness-bracelet?ref=newest

when you want to let everyone know that youre carrying a concealed weapon

I have a couple friends with eternal erections for firearms, and they were talking about concealed weaponry laws. You can't have it show, is the rule. Like, if you have one strapped close to your swiftly depleting white rear end, you can't have it accidentally show ("brandishing") if you're in a store and reach high up for that value-pak cereal on the top of the shelf, so you should wear long shirts to conceal.

So this silly thing is so you can brag about your firearm without "brandishing" it. Or whatever, I'm not reading the KS site, but getting funds out of gun nuts is like shaking a money tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
but, like, the whole point in ccw is to have a weapon for just in case you need to defend your life, right? advertising that you are armed seems like it would be counter-productive. dont they teach you to not unholster until youre 100% out of other options? wearing a wristband that shows off that you are carrying seems like a tacit admission that you dont actually need it for self defense, so why do you even need to carry in the first place?

makes no sense to me, but so does being in a situation where you need to carry a weapon on your person all the time in a first-world nation anyway

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Raluek posted:

but, like, the whole point in ccw is to have a weapon for just in case you need to defend your life, right? advertising that you are armed seems like it would be counter-productive. dont they teach you to not unholster until youre 100% out of other options? wearing a wristband that shows off that you are carrying seems like a tacit admission that you dont actually need it for self defense, so why do you even need to carry in the first place?

makes no sense to me, but so does being in a situation where you need to carry a weapon on your person all the time in a first-world nation anyway

in arizona you can conceal carry without a permit, so there goes your ideas about teaching

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Raluek posted:

wow it's like it's about men with tiny penises and not any kind of logic about self defense at all

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sagebrush posted:

wow it's like it's about men with tiny penises and not any kind of logic about self defense at all

it's this

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

hifi posted:

in arizona you can conceal carry without a permit, so there goes your ideas about teaching

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

when my gut conceal my whole bepis

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

toadoftoadhall posted:

who is this clown

ITS

U

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

expected Monty Python's Flying Circus

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i do promotional merchandise and $10,000 would get you like a billion of those, especially if you had them made in china.

he'd probably be better off buying like 1000 for 15 cents each and selling them for $4.99

yeah, i sometimes help with corporate and retail events and the cost for thousands of custom-printed wristbands is basically an incidental

i wonder if this is a scam or if the dude just has literally no idea what he's doing and picked a nice round number

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sagebrush posted:

expected Monty Python's Flying Circus

heard the raspberry + sousa march in my head

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

duTrieux. posted:

yeah, i sometimes help with corporate and retail events and the cost for thousands of custom-printed wristbands is basically an incidental

i wonder if this is a scam or if the dude just has literally no idea what he's doing and picked a nice round number

for like $2000 he could open up his own shopify store, buy 10 different kinds of wristbands at qty1000 each, and all the shipping supplies, charge $5/ea + shipping and discounts for multiple purchases and make bank instead of running an embarrassing kickstarter.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

for like $2000 he could open up his own shopify store, buy 10 different kinds of wristbands at qty1000 each, and all the shipping supplies, charge $5/ea + shipping and discounts for multiple purchases and make bank instead of running an embarrassing kickstarter.

yeah, but who's going to be the person to tell the gun nut that his gun project is poorly conceived?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

duTrieux. posted:

what does your heart tell you

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

what does your heart tell you

both!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Beast of Bourbon posted:

lol if you think he did his due diligence or has any idea at all what hes doing

i know you dont think that, but just guh the idea is dumb as hell on the surface so obvs no alternatives were considered at all

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

welp;

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/18/14966858/popslate-e-ink-display-iphone-indigogo-bankruptcy

they were looking for $82k, got over a million and still hosed up.

quote:

There is no way to sugarcoat what this all means:

popSLATE has entered into the legal process for dissolution of the company
Your popSLATE 2 will not be fulfilled
There is no money available for refunds
This will be our final update

nice!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

In January, the company discovered that its prototypes failed Apple’s certification testing, because the device diminished the phone’s ability to send and receive RF transmissions, forcing it to figure out the cause. It also noted that the device wasn’t reliably charging the phones that it was attached to, that it was pushing backer deliveries to March 2017, and that it was suspending refunds while the issue was sorted out
this seems like a thing you should be able to figure out on your own without looking into apple certification

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

this seems like a thing you should be able to figure out on your own without looking into apple certification

*looks at lg*

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

drat, this plastic has glass fibers in it? why didn't anyone tell me this.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
how is rf formed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

shouldn't glass be mostly transparent to rf

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

what

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Like obviously it depends on the specific wavelength to some extent but glass is a dielectric, right? Anything microwave or longer should have no problem going through glass, otherwise microwave ovens wouldn't need that metal grille in the door

does something special happen with chopped glass fibers in a plastic composite?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Sagebrush posted:

glass isn't transparent to rf

here's a way to visualise this: look at the stars at night and notice how they twinkle. that is the effect air has on light. we have to place powerful telescopes in high-altitude to combat this or even yet put a telescope in space since there is less seeing problems

now think about what glass is and then you'll see what i mean

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That doesn't really make a good analogy because the atmosphere and a sheet of glass are entirely different materials with entirely different densities and thicknesses

do you have a more technical explanation? I'm interested but that one doesn't help

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

OSI bean dip posted:

here's a way to visualise this: look at the stars at night and notice how they twinkle. that is the effect air has on light. we have to place powerful telescopes in high-altitude to combat this or even yet put a telescope in space since there is less seeing problems

did u know glass is actually a liquid? #wow #whoa

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

spankmeister posted:

actualy,

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

OSI bean dip posted:

so air is bad for RF and blocks things, but with powerful enough glass you can overcome this effect

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

That doesn't really make a good analogy because the atmosphere and a sheet of glass are entirely different materials with entirely different densities and thicknesses

do you have a more technical explanation? I'm interested but that one doesn't help

most glass you will buy for consumer electronics is lovely, also, even if it were perfect; perfect glass it's gonna have some measurable effect on the lights path and form, more than normal air.

also your microwave door thought is dumb as poo poo and has little to do with the problem domain of light being used for signals RF

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

a cyberpunk goose posted:

also your microwave door thought is dumb as poo poo and has little to do with the problem domain of light being used for signals RF

actually it is stupidly spot on and sort of the reason why that eink display would gently caress up rf

i mean its also completely wrong in that eink isnt pure glass and really just the outermost skin of a display and the part that would have the least effect on loving up the phone's radio

emi/emc is really kind of hard and deciding to slap electronics on the back of a radio isnt advised

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

so maybe not much, but they also said they had some special plastic made so they could have also opted for something stupid. maybe the little glass pieces do something sciency? i/m not a scientist

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

actually it is stupidly spot on and sort of the reason why that eink display would gently caress up rf

i mean its also completely wrong in that eink isnt pure glass and really just the outermost skin of a display and the part that would have the least effect on loving up the phone's radio

emi/emc is really kind of hard and deciding to slap electronics on the back of a radio isnt advised

they say in the update that the special blend of fibers in the plastic is whats causing it, so presumably they had a empty shell and it was still loving up the reception

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

spankmeister posted:

I'm so glad that particular bit of lovely science isn't popular anymore.

Sagebrush posted:

Like obviously it depends on the specific wavelength to some extent but glass is a dielectric, right? Anything microwave or longer should have no problem going through glass, otherwise microwave ovens wouldn't need that metal grille in the door

does something special happen with chopped glass fibers in a plastic composite?

bingo. a big sheet-o-glass has pretty negligible attenuation at phone frequencies (look at the purple line on page 3 of this) but every change in material results in a change in the propagation velocity. thanks to physics that boundary condition results in some amount of reflection. for glass fibers in plastic those boundaries are also curved and randomly distributed so they cause a bit of lensing and diffusion with the end result being something like this lamp filled with crushed glass:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

It's me the dumb as poo poo I read it completely wrong

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think my microwave door is plastic too

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

JawnV6 posted:

so air is bad for RF and blocks things, but with powerful enough glass you can overcome this effect

it's as if physics should be ignored. even the glass in fiber optic cable, which is so clear that it could be 40 km thick and still produce a near-perfect image to an observer looking through will still muck up the light you're receiving

when i was doing some long-range wifi with a friend of mine over a 12 km bay a long time ago, i learnt this the hard way because water is effectively a giant mirror

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

hifi posted:

they say in the update that the special blend of fibers in the plastic is whats causing it, so presumably they had a empty shell and it was still loving up the reception

they were likely inadvertently creating additional shielding/increasing loss by changing boundary conditions a ton depending on the homogenity of the mix for reflective index

also more than likely inadvertantly creating a really lovely faraday cage as well

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

hifi posted:

i think my microwave door is plastic too

microwave door is more or less a faraday cage, designed to lock in microwaves and create a standing wave to cook food

making a faraday cage for light is essentially meaningless, since the wavelength blocked is roughly proportional to twice the aperture size, and for light that's on the order of nanometers and thats going to be essentially opaque anyway.

much easier to do for microwaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

microwave door is more or less a faraday cage, designed to lock in microwaves and create a standing wave to cook food

making a faraday cage for light is essentially meaningless, since the wavelength blocked is roughly proportional to twice the aperture size, and for light that's on the order of nanometers and thats going to be essentially opaque anyway.

much easier to do for microwaves

no i understand that, i mean that the clear pieces that sandwich the metal grille are just plastic

• Locked thread