Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I don't like Sandi toksvig she reminds me of a mean old headmistress and I don't like her voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Going from a coked up Shoreditch heroin Nathan Barley to asking grannies about souffle's.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Paperhouse posted:

I'm actually sort of interested in Noel Fielding being in it, I can imagine him toning down the wackiness a bit and actually being quite likable

I can imagine him using his twitter followers to bully teenagers, like a great big 40 year old whimsy-pimsy oval office.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

happyhippy posted:

Going from a coked up Shoreditch heroin Nathan Barley to asking grannies about souffle's.

Which of them was in Nathan Barley? Noel Fielding or Sandi Toksvig?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Captain Mediocre posted:

Fielding was, he played the dj playing tunes all night every night in the flat.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Even as someone who never liked Boosh it pains me to see how far Fielding continues to sink.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

Even as someone who never liked Boosh it pains me to see how far Fielding continues to sink.

He's never been the same since Simon Amstell slaughtered his gimmick

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

BSam posted:

Fielding was, he played the dj playing tunes all night every night in the flat.
I think we ought to begin running TVGoHome cuttings to fill the downtime in this thread

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Not a bad idea really.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Captain Mediocre posted:

I was trying to mean Fielding was the Nathan Barley figure, trying to be the hip new trendsetter, ending up shacked up with Amy Winehouse for a few weeks as the next Lennon/Ono, then dumped and made a fool of himself on camera..
/sigh

Is he in the new Julian Barratt film? Edit: No lol.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

Tbf when I first read it I got mixed up with Ross 'oval office' Noble. That would have been far worse.

I've seen him brought up before by you or someone else, what did he do again?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Rookoo posted:

I've seen him brought up before by you or someone else, what did he do again?

Been Ross noble.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I want a turtle toilet.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

He's never been the same since Simon Amstell slaughtered his gimmick

That's still one of my most favourite bits of telly ever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rondette posted:

That's still one of my most favourite bits of telly ever.

What's this?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/4yaoiL5srGQ

Amstell destroys Noel's shtick.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rondette posted:

He's definitely rattled there, yeah.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

I want a turtle toilet.

Turtle toilet was amazing. The guy that made it seemed genuinely a bit stunned himself about how well it turned out. This pottery programme is good fun, enjoying it more than I could ever have expected.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Rondette posted:

I think more like his Luxury Comedy show destroyed his own shtick.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Gina Yashere has just been on The Daily Show, so maybe comedy is just dead now?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Noel loving Fielding indeed.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Irisi posted:

Turtle toilet was amazing. The guy that made it seemed genuinely a bit stunned himself about how well it turned out. This pottery programme is good fun, enjoying it more than I could ever have expected.
He looked like a favourite during the first couple of episodes but then lost his way and almost went out. But last night he was ridiculously more composed than the other three. They didn't even pretend there was any debate over deciding top potter.

It's all made by the same people as Bake off and sewing bee. Sewing bee was quietly dropped by the Been, so I image it won't be back for a third year.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh I love the Pottery show and that turtle toilet was a thing of rare beauty. I also get my 'skilled people making stuff' fix from the Landscape and Portrait Artist of the year on Sky Arts, it's such great chilled out tv, especially the landscape one.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Rondette posted:

This is more of a double KO, really, and it's something I've always felt strongly about panel shows. The host really needs to have authority, and Simon Amstell is a substitute teacher. It's a matter of taste whether you find him funnier than Mark Lamarr, but without question he was a less capable host. Mark had the skill of a good compère, putting down a rowdy heckler before they ruin the main act. It's an underappreciated talent, as the past 15 years of light entertainment commissioning prove.

Take Humphrey Littleton, sadly departed and dearly missed, not least from the line-up of I'm Sorry I haven't A Clue. Admittedly that's not so tough a gig, with the whole panel being comedians and a largely stable line-up. But having someone at the centre who's apparently nonplussed and destaining of the whole thing give it a solid base, from which it's a bit safer to launch off and be silly. I can see why they tried Jack Dee there, although dour and depressed doesn't seem to work as well.

Angus Deaton is another fine example, because in his heyday Have I got News For You ticked along nicely. Not too much overbearing from Ian or silliness from Paul, the excess of the guests and panellists alike was kept in check. It did fall apart once his love-life was splashed across the tabloids, and they were right to let him go because it broke his grip on the reins. The problem is that bringing in an endless cycle of guest hosts doesn't fix that either, and the lunatics ended up running the asylum.

What all three had in common was the ability to be above it all, being funny while remaining the straight man, and that gave them authority. Is the best example currently on telly Jimmy Carr in 8 out of 10 Cats?

Bringing it back to Simon Amstell, he's created an interesting sounding mockumentary called Carnage - Swallowing The Past, which sounded interesting from the Mark Kermode preview. Should be out on iPlayer tomorrow
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2017/simon-amstell-carnage

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Heavy_D posted:

This is more of a double KO, really, and it's something I've always felt strongly about panel shows. The host really needs to have authority, and Simon Amstell is a substitute teacher. It's a matter of taste whether you find him funnier than Mark Lamarr, but without question he was a less capable host. Mark had the skill of a good compère, putting down a rowdy heckler before they ruin the main act. It's an underappreciated talent, as the past 15 years of light entertainment commissioning prove.

Take Humphrey Littleton, sadly departed and dearly missed, not least from the line-up of I'm Sorry I haven't A Clue. Admittedly that's not so tough a gig, with the whole panel being comedians and a largely stable line-up. But having someone at the centre who's apparently nonplussed and destaining of the whole thing give it a solid base, from which it's a bit safer to launch off and be silly. I can see why they tried Jack Dee there, although dour and depressed doesn't seem to work as well.

Angus Deaton is another fine example, because in his heyday Have I got News For You ticked along nicely. Not too much overbearing from Ian or silliness from Paul, the excess of the guests and panellists alike was kept in check. It did fall apart once his love-life was splashed across the tabloids, and they were right to let him go because it broke his grip on the reins. The problem is that bringing in an endless cycle of guest hosts doesn't fix that either, and the lunatics ended up running the asylum.

What all three had in common was the ability to be above it all, being funny while remaining the straight man, and that gave them authority. Is the best example currently on telly Jimmy Carr in 8 out of 10 Cats?

Bringing it back to Simon Amstell, he's created an interesting sounding mockumentary called Carnage - Swallowing The Past, which sounded interesting from the Mark Kermode preview. Should be out on iPlayer tomorrow
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2017/simon-amstell-carnage

I think that lack of authority is the perfect juxtaposition that makes Buzzcocks so loving hilarious. For the record I fookin' love Simon Amstell, he's great. 420 Simon Amstell everyday.

Buzzcocks is funnier than QI, I like both but Buzzcocks is definitely more like if the children ran things and had fun, compared to QI which is very prim and proper and pretty serious.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Alan Davies being the village idiot is so incredibly stale now. They really should have downgraded him from ever-present when Fry went.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Julio Cruz posted:

Alan Davies being the village idiot is so incredibly stale now. They really should have downgraded him from ever-present when Fry went.

Yeah Davies and Fry's interplay as like, frustrated school teacher and smartass pupil worked well, but you can't keep one half of a double act and pretend nothings different.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Davies is not the villiage idiot though with Toksvig.
He's more the swot now, trying to get them right most of the last few episodes I saw.

I do hate his once per episode 'its X Sandi, ITS X SANDI, ITS X' shouting.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Davies was there to be the idiot to Fry's headmaster. Then he developed a pathetic arseache because of that very lucrative job. I am not at all surprised that he's got to be seen as clever now.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
Have any insiders ever written anything about how panel shows are designed (e.g. teams, regulars vs guest stars, etc.)? I feel like it would be an interesting thing to read about

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Davies was there to be the idiot to Fry's headmaster. Then he developed a pathetic arseache because of that very lucrative job. I am not at all surprised that he's got to be seen as clever now.

Ironically I suspect that one of the reasons Davies wanted to do that character in the first place was to avoid getting typecast as a brainbox after playing Jonathan Creek for all those years

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Not that I've seen, but if you check out any episodes of RHLSTP or Comedian's Comedian featuring any of the regular panel show crew they will often speak about them a bit. Mostly about how they are all a nightmare except Would I Lie to You.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Lemon posted:

Not that I've seen, but if you check out any episodes of RHLSTP or Comedian's Comedian featuring any of the regular panel show crew they will often speak about them a bit. Mostly about how they are all a nightmare except Would I Lie to You.

Any particular episodes you'd recommend?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Gum posted:

For RHLSTP the Mark Addy one is worth it for the Sean Bean anecdote/impression alone
https://www.comedy.co.uk/podcasts/richard_herring_lst_podcast/york_2_mark_addy/

I find the ones with the stand up comedians I've never heard of tend to be funnier than the ones with more recognisable names. I can't think of any that are bad, but the Jessica Hynes is very boring and a laugh free zone, and the recent Peter Serafinowicz one was also a bit dull. Just go with the names you like, then try the rest. Although you might just want to listen to it in order so you get the progression of certain jokes.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 18, 2017

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Gum posted:

Have any insiders ever written anything about how panel shows are designed (e.g. teams, regulars vs guest stars, etc.)? I feel like it would be an interesting thing to read about

I know a QI elf I can ask? He says they have some pull on who they get on but not a huge amount.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Gum posted:

Jimmy Carr and David Mitchell. IIRC Jimmy Carr is on the Comedian's Comedian podcast and he speaks about panel shows for a bit, particularly about how some comedians are especially badly prepared for them. David Mitchell I think speaks about panel shows at least briefly on one of his RHLSTP epidsodes, but both are worth listening to anyway.

Oh yeah the Peter Serafinowicz episode really wasn't all that funny. Kind of interesting though. Top episodes off the top of my head just for general listening (RHLSTP):

Bob Mortimer / Limmy / Johnny Vegas - Tied for best ever.
Louis Theroux
Richard Bacon
All Adam Buxton ones
Miles Jupp
Ray Peacock just for the insanity that occurs.

Lemon fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 19, 2017

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

For RHLSTP the Mark Addy one is worth it for the Sean Bean anecdote/impression alone
https://www.comedy.co.uk/podcasts/richard_herring_lst_podcast/york_2_mark_addy/

I find the ones with the stand up comedians I've never heard of tend to be funnier than the ones with more recognisable names. I can't think of any that are bad, but the Jessica Hynes is very boring and a laugh free zone, and the recent Peter Serafinowicz one was also a bit dull. Just go with the names you like, then try the rest. Although you might just want to listen to it in order so you get the progression of certain jokes.

Its weird, sometimes when an episode pops up I'll roll my eyes and think "I thought this was a comedy thing?", and then it'll turn out to be amazingly funny or just interesting. Like, I wasn't expecting to enjoy hearing his interviews with Iain Lee or Richard Bacon, but they were both awesome.

Best episode by far is Mary Beard's.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Lemon posted:

Jimmy Carr and David Mitchell. IIRC Jimmy Carr is on the Comedian's Comedian podcast and he speaks about panel shows for a bit, particularly about how some comedians are especially badly prepared for them. David Mitchell I think speaks about panel shows at least briefly on one of his RHLSTP epidsodes, but both are worth listening to anyway.

Oh yeah the Peter Serafinowicz episode really wasn't all that funny. Kind of interesting though. Top episodes off the top of my head just for general listening (RHLSTP):

Bob Mortimer / Limmy / Johnny Vegas - Tied for best ever.
Louis Theroux
Richard Bacon
All Adam Buxton ones
Miles Jupp
Ray Peacock just for the insanity that occurs.

I love the Peter Serafinowicz RHLSTP mainly for his amazing story about being in The Phantom Menace.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!

ineptmule posted:

I love the Peter Serafinowicz RHLSTP mainly for his amazing story about being in The Phantom Menace.

Yeah, that story was brilliant. His first appearance, where he tells that story, is definitely worth a listen. He's just been on it for a second time though and it was a pretty laugh-free zone.

I agree with Lemon's list as an intro to RHLSTP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know when the next series starts? Really wanna get tickets for at least one date.