Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
:neckbeard::EA management
:shobon:: game director

:neckbeard:: Okay we have the green light for the next game in the Mass Effect franchise. I want things to be bigger and better than anything we've produced so far. I want huge planets to explore.
:shobon:: Allright we have the Frostbite engine so that shouldn't be a proble-
:neckbeard:: And I want 20 times more dialogue than the previous games
:shobon:: O..kay but the additional dialogue also needs to be anima-
:neckbeard:: And I want scanning back in the game
:shobon:: Sir about the dialogue, it will need a lot of additional resources to properly animate all of th-
:neckbeard:: AND I WANT THE MAIN CHARACTER TO HAVE A COOL TITLE AGAIN LIKE ... PATHFINDER YEAH DO THAT, GOD IM GREAT
:shobon:: i hate my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lalaland posted:

:neckbeard::EA management
:shobon:: game director

:neckbeard:: Okay we have the green light for the next game in the Mass Effect franchise. I want things to be bigger and better than anything we've produced so far. I want huge planets to explore.
:shobon:: Allright we have the Frostbite engine so that shouldn't be a proble-
:neckbeard:: And I want 20 times more dialogue than the previous games
:shobon:: O..kay but the additional dialogue also needs to be anima-
:neckbeard:: And I want scanning back in the game
:shobon:: Sir about the dialogue, it will need a lot of additional resources to properly animate all of th-
:neckbeard:: AND I WANT THE MAIN CHARACTER TO HAVE A COOL TITLE AGAIN LIKE ... PATHFINDER YEAH DO THAT, GOD IM GREAT
:shobon:: i hate my life

This is obviously meant to be satire but it's really loving close to how it went down for real, most likely.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

Scott sounds a little to old for what he is supposed to be, at least as I imagine it.

I can understand why you'd say that, although this was the guy who sprang to mind for "sounds too old."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA9Y2qxal8c

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I can understand why you'd say that, although this was the guy who sprang to mind for "sounds too old."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA9Y2qxal8c

Holy poo poo he is like 30 years too young for that voice.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CJ posted:

What emotion is this.

The "taking a dump in your spacesuit diaper" emotion.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Someone: "This game isn't bad, honest guys!"
Me: https://s1.webmshare.com/jQmvd.webm

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well at least the Prey reboot is coming out in a couple months, right guys and gals?

Prey. Where can can stab ourselves in the eye to upgrade our Space Dishonored powers and turn into shadowy coffee cups.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

While ME:A has serious problems, I am genuinely enjoying it. It's actually pretty challenging on the harder difficulties and it is ME1's spiritual successor...in all things. Even with the questionable design decisions. There is a really amazing game struggling to come out from under the design decisions and bad animation.

The two big things that stand out to me on a "Are you guys really this dumb?" o-meter is:
A. Is there really no quicksave? That's like an amazing failure of design if so. DA:I had it. Literally the same engine and base code.
B. They worked very very hard to make planet scanning worse than ME2's.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Dev confirms no miracle day 1 patch for rear end defect https://twitter.com/tibermoon/status/842499955952664577

The version we're playing now is the release version

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I really wish I could get into multiplayer (I've exhausted all of the actual content in the singleplayer demo), but the rewards for Bronze seem comically bad and Silver (not to mention Gold) seems way too hard. I wish they would just let you play with bots if you wanted to, because I hate dying really early on and letting my teammates down :(

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

DancingShade posted:

Well at least the Prey reboot is coming out in a couple months, right guys and gals?

Prey. Where can can stab ourselves in the eye to upgrade our Space Dishonored powers and turn into shadowy coffee cups.

Pretty sure I actually got addicted to Dishonored 2, I'm stoked about the game. My coffee cup shadow body is ready.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
well duh, did people seriously think they'd revamp all the animations in the game? How dumb do you have to be

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Pretty sure I actually got addicted to Dishonored 2, I'm stoked about the game. My coffee cup shadow body is ready.

High five fellow slayer of clockwork robots.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Berious posted:

Dev confirms no miracle day 1 patch for rear end defect https://twitter.com/tibermoon/status/842499955952664577

The version we're playing now is the release version

Christ at least fix the backwards pistol....y'know what, nevermind, leave it. It's a part of gaming history now.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Zzulu posted:

well duh, did people seriously think they'd revamp all the animations in the game? How dumb do you have to be

Agreed, but counting on a day 1 patch to fix everything is the last refuge of the disappointed fanboy so that dev was brave to quash hopes

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zzulu posted:

lol buddy it's only like 3 years of hard work to build a full library of excellent animations how hard can that be

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Arkitektbmw posted:

Christ at least fix the backwards pistol....y'know what, nevermind, leave it. It's a part of gaming history now.

They should make backwards guns for your entire party an option in the game menu now.

I'm serious. Own that poo poo and laugh about it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The backwards pistol thing is just a fun bug, the larger issue is wonky mouths and eyes imo.

Though in my limited playtime most characters looked fine, but every now and then you're in a scene and the anims take you out of the moment

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
In multiplayer when I'm unlocking cards do the roman numerals just mean "this one is better"? I keep getting stuff like 'Human Soldier IV' or '[Gun] II'.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

DancingShade posted:

High five fellow slayer of clockwork robots.

See you in space Dunwall. We'll need a thread about that soon.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
So last night I was able to play about one hour of this thanks to EA access.

Currently I am optimistic! Aside from the glass of the helmets and the surrounding of the hair, the graphics look really good. The textures are way better than anything in the previous three. When my Ryder stood up after falling out the shuttle, I felt a small sense of wonder like when I had first left the Mako in ME1. I was excited to explore alien worlds again!!

I went with a custom femder (because i was femshep throughout the entire of the last trilogy) and it was kind of off putting to see her wide eyed throughout the whole thing. The animations in dialogue and the pacing of dialogue seems really off. It sems cut up in strange places and the intonations are wrong.

Some of the movement animations are also a bit funky and strange.

The feel of the game is excellent. Shooting, running around and movement are the best the series has been. The scanning and exploring is an utter delight! I want to explore and catalogue everything. I want to be a pioneer in space and it seems as though we are getting some of that.

I didn't hear any music like the original trilogy. Even the opening theme was underwhelming. This is what makes me saddest overall.

All in all, I am optimistic that there is more that I have not seen and that some of the strange things can be fixed. There is definitely a good game underneath.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Pierson posted:

In multiplayer when I'm unlocking cards do the roman numerals just mean "this one is better"? I keep getting stuff like 'Human Soldier IV' or '[Gun] II'.

Guns have better stats, this was damage and ammo capacity in ME3. In ME3 extra class cards unlocked dress up options and I think extra XP.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Maybe this topic drove my expectations down to Hell (I've loved laughing at all the gifs posted) but the game seems okay now that I'm playing it. I'm not noticing the animation flaws nearly as much when they're not posted as stills or looped gifs. But I dunno, maybe my eyes aren't sharp or something, I've never been able to detect problems with fps in games either, it all looks the same to me. They're definitely not as good as Witcher 3 or other better made games but it's not taking me out of the experience or anything.

No Quick-Save is a terrible decision though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

VideoGames posted:

So last night I was able to play about one hour of this thanks to EA access.

Currently I am optimistic! Aside from the glass of the helmets and the surrounding of the hair, the graphics look really good. The textures are way better than anything in the previous three. When my Ryder stood up after falling out the shuttle, I felt a small sense of wonder like when I had first left the Mako in ME1. I was excited to explore alien worlds again!!

I went with a custom femder (because i was femshep throughout the entire of the last trilogy) and it was kind of off putting to see her wide eyed throughout the whole thing. The animations in dialogue and the pacing of dialogue seems really off. It sems cut up in strange places and the intonations are wrong.

Some of the movement animations are also a bit funky and strange.

The feel of the game is excellent. Shooting, running around and movement are the best the series has been. The scanning and exploring is an utter delight! I want to explore and catalogue everything. I want to be a pioneer in space and it seems as though we are getting some of that.

I didn't hear any music like the original trilogy. Even the opening theme was underwhelming. This is what makes me saddest overall.

All in all, I am optimistic that there is more that I have not seen and that some of the strange things can be fixed. There is definitely a good game underneath.

These are all correct opinions

The music is the biggest bummer so far

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Guns have better stats, this was damage and ammo capacity in ME3. In ME3 extra class cards unlocked dress up options and I think extra XP.
Cheers.

I really like the MP, or at least I would if whatever server method they use didn't feel like a nightmare.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Welp after 7-ish hours of singleplayer trial, I'm solidly in the camp of "this game's got issues but I still like it."

The fuckups with character animation don't bother me, they're just amusing and there are some good moments as well. The character face generator was surprisingly limited, there were a lot fewer sliders than I'm used to seeing. It was still serviceable and I'm satisfied in my custom Ryder. Even especially when she's making weird faces. I was also mildly amused by DadRyder being black while I'm pretty sure the preset I based the ProtagRyder on wasn't.

The story so far seems... enjoyable and engaging to me at least. I don't really care how dumb it is, I have no problem with dumb stories as long as they're entertaining. Looking forward to more of it.

The action's a ton of fun and I was right at home in multiplayer for the couple hours I tried it. Gonna be sinking a lot of time into that.

The biggest hitch so far is the UI, it's hella cumbersome in places and just not very intuitive. I'll deal with it, but it's certainly a niggle.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 17, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Viridiant posted:

Maybe this topic drove my expectations down to Hell (I've loved laughing at all the gifs posted) but the game seems okay now that I'm playing it. I'm not noticing the animation flaws nearly as much when they're not posted as stills or looped gifs. But I dunno, maybe my eyes aren't sharp or something, I've never been able to detect problems with fps in games either, it all looks the same to me. They're definitely not as good as Witcher 3 or other better made games but it's not taking me out of the experience or anything.

No Quick-Save is a terrible decision though.

most of the people in this thread who actually played the game instead of just staring at the selected awkward moments compilations think it's been fine so far. The most scathing review I saw in this thread said it was "dull". On this page alone you can see several examples of people enjoying it

It's entirely possible people are a bit hyperbolic itt

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
at least tell me bioware budgeted properly for the romances

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Higher level guns are also lighter so they are easier on your power cooldowns. At least in ME3, that is.

Unrelated, here's a picture of Ryder making one of the abovementioned funny faces

They look like someone started loudly farting into the ship's PA system in the middle of their conversation

Serf
May 5, 2011

This is from a while back, but I don't think I got the whole "Pathfinder Ryder is our savior" thing. Like, that's clearly what Pathfinders are supposed to be, but during the introductions on the Nexus, everyone just kinda looks disappointed that Ryder isn't her dad. Director Tann shits on you in public, and only gives you the ship as a gamble, and Addison tries to shut the whole thing down when you go to leave. I got the distinct impression that nobody had any faith in you and that your status as Pathfinder was a joke to them. Of course I only talked to Tann and the turian guy for a minute before I rushed ahead to Eos, so maybe there are other NPCs who fawn over you or something. It really reminds me of ME1 in a lot of ways except you're not confined to the Nexus for a couple of hours and Ryder is less competent and prepared than Shepherd.

Upon further reflection, Andromeda does capture the feeling of a Mass Effect game. Except that game is Mass Effect 1, which was groundbreaking when it came out... and then got blown away by ME2. So they already showed they know how to make a really good opening section of a game, but this game is not that. I'm enjoying my time with Andromeda almost in spite of the game itself, because while the core gameplay systems are solid, everything built around them, from the character models and animations to the UI, seems to range from mediocre to bad.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Pierson posted:

You unlock the gun (or character), and then you keep getting cards for upgrades until you max it out. Characters get more appearance options and a small XP boost, guns get lighter/stronger/better.

This is also why you should buy a ton of basic packs until you max out the common guns, since they won't show up anymore, and you don't want to spend your fight money on an expensive pack looking for rare unlocks and getting a Predator III.

Zzulu posted:

The backwards pistol thing is just a fun bug, the larger issue is wonky mouths and eyes imo.

Though in my limited playtime most characters looked fine, but every now and then you're in a scene and the anims take you out of the moment

Even knowing about the backwards gun and seeing that scene happen, I still couldn't really tell it was happening in the moment.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Zzulu posted:

Cora looks a bit too stiff at times though, like she's had botox

She's supposed to be 26 but she looks 50

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It is so weird how her eyes are always so wide. I want them to be thinner.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So game average to good?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Also people are saying it's more like Mass Effect 1 than the others is probably the reason I am so happy to have a potentially good game hidden under the strangeness.

I am sorry for those who think Mass Effect 2 is the best one. This might not be the Mass Effect game for you.
For those like me who do not like Mass Effect 2, this might be way more your cup of tea.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

VideoGames posted:

It is so weird how her eyes are always so wide. I want them to be thinner.

Extremely Stannis Baratheon voice: Narrower.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

So game average to good?

I'd say just average, for whatever it's worth. The only unambiguously good thing is letting the PC pick whatever powers and weapons they want without class restrictions, p much everything else is a mixed bag at best. Unless there is a drastic upswing in writing quality after the demo area then it's probably going to be the least-good Mass Effect game to date, but it's more Mass Effect, which clearly a lot of people (including myself) want. I'd encourage you to try the demo at least.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

So game average to good?

Average to good is about how I'd put it. For me, where it'll fall on that line is going to depend on how the story and character pan out further in.

It's basically DA: I's systems with ME style combat layered on top. If that sounds fun, then you'll probably enjoy it.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

VideoGames posted:

Also people are saying it's more like Mass Effect 1 than the others is probably the reason I am so happy to have a potentially good game hidden under the strangeness.

I am sorry for those who think Mass Effect 2 is the best one. This might not be the Mass Effect game for you.
For those like me who do not like Mass Effect 2, this might be way more your cup of tea.

I think Mass Effect 2 was the best one, but I really enjoyed the ME:A trial and can't wait to play more TuesdayThursday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Extremely Stannis Baratheon voice: Narrower.

Thank you! I did um and err and thought I had probably used the wrong word.