Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I've been here like 9 years and I am unfortunately still alive

You are an Apple fanboi, you are clearly already dead on the inside already.

Plus.... who the gently caress would want to live in Detroit? Isnt it one of the shittiest places weatherwise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Plus.... who the gently caress would want to live in Detroit? Isnt it one of the shittiest places weatherwise?

All things being relative, not really. Its your typical midwest climate - upper teens/lower 20s (-10 to -5 C) for average lows during the winter, upper 80s to lower 90s (30 to 35 C) for average highs in the summer. Detroit is at the wrong end of the lake for lake effect snow in the winter (warm lake water relative to the air causes clouds that drop snow up to 30 miles inland) so aside from the occasional cold snap winter is more or less tolerable for people accustomed to living where it snows in the winter.

There are definitely bad, bad parts of Detroit I wouldn't want to be caught dead in but the whole city isn't some post-apocalyptic Mad Max hellhole - and that extends outside of downtown. My biggest worry about living in Detroit proper and not outlying suburbs is the longterm viability of the city government.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 17, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Minneapolis is way colder, but it is a sunny cold. Michigan is cloudier, which is depressing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamnit. Alarm spergin a bit here, but...

Tried to finally add a motion sensor to my home alarm (which is a pro-level DSC system, not that lovely Simplisafe poo poo - it's the same system ADT put in my parents house), but using the zone input that already exists on the keypad. That way I could use a motion sensor I already had, and not run wire all the way back to the panel itself.

I never could figure out how to enable the keypad zone input, but I corrupted the programming in the system badly enough that I did a factory reset. Then spent an hour wondering "why the gently caress does it keep saying zones 2 and 3 are open, I've already enrolled the wireless door contacts!".

Downloaded the programming manual for the version of system I have (there's multiple revisions). Scratched my head and rear end awhile. Finally downloaded the manual for the add-on wireless receiver, and...

Enable the wireless zone attribute for each wireless zone (PC580, PC1555, PC501X v2.0, PC5020 v3.0 and higher only) (sections [101]-[132]).

The wireless zone attribute in those definitions in the manual for my particular version of the system says "For future use", instead of "hey dipshit toggle this bit to make it a wireless zone". It's not DIY friendly at all (as this kind of poo poo is oriented at pros), but FFS, you'd think going into programming for that zone and adding the serial number for the wireless sensor would be enough. The worst part is I've owned this system for a loving decade now... :argh:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

EDIT: Bike guys, do modern SRAM trigger shifters shift the "correct" way (thumb under the bar is bigger sprocket/lower gear, finger over the bar is smaller sprocket/higher gear)?

How do 1x11 drietrains cope with "more torque than some small block V8s" riders?

Isn't a 32 or 34 tooth single chainring really undergeared in a lot of situations?

Shifters don't dictate the way the mech moves, the mech does. I take it you've had a run in with Shimano's reverse rise poo poo from the past then :v: I still have that on my 2005 Orange 5 and I quite like it actually!

32/34 is only undergeared if you're riding massively fast trails or doing a spot of road riding. Generally it's bang on though and with the low gear on the cassettes now being enormous you get the full spread of gearing you previously did with a 3x9.

And chains are strong, it's a rare occasion I've seen them broken from SHEER POWER rather than idiocy shifting all the gear whilst still pedaling.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Are any goons here involved in the 24 hours of LeMons in the Chicago area?

I'd like to get involved and wondering if anyone here is part of a team that will be racing at Joliet this July?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

KakerMix posted:

Fresh off the heels of getting that Lexus and still looking for a Samurai for my wife I found a 1991 Geo Tracker (aka Suzuki SamuraiSidekick) with 36,000 miles on it with A/C and in phenomenal shape. It's bright yellow, has :krad: graphics on the side even. Heading out to look at it tomorrow, they are asking 5k for it. From what I've looked at for these it seems that people run them ragged and they have some sort of computer fault past 200k, they rust like crazy up north and people complain about the lack of power. Otherwise like the Samurai they are die-hard little trucks. Do I have that right?

Had a 94 Geo tracker. Hit almost 700,000 km on it (in Canada). It was a goddamn piece of poo poo, but a fun, reliable, go anywhere piece of poo poo. Its loud, lovely on the highway, not overly comfortable, and that A/C will likely suck 1/2 the horsepower of the motor. But - they will go through hell and back for you. I miss the gently caress out of that thing and will buy one again when I have the money/the right deal comes along. I think with a bit of work one could make them a pretty solid little 4x4 for some light off-road fun.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
If you are in Ballarat, point yourself to Victoria Park where Rally Victoria service park is and say hi to Rally Bad Boyz

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
As a 7 year resident of Grand Rapids and Flint, I'm never living in the midwest ever again.

Why do you live where the wind hurts your face?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Re: Geo Tracker

Other than rust and the ECU they're cockroaches and hard to kill. About as crude as a cockroach too.

My former roommate still has his. He got it on his 16th birthday. Off the showroom. He's close to 500k miles.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

With the recent St. Petersburg chat in the post your ride thread, I'm going to be there from May 1/2 to May​ 6 this year. Anything cool to see / do?

Edit: spelling

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Adiabatic posted:

With a proper beard, it doesn't hurt your face. :colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Shifters don't dictate the way the mech moves, the mech does. I take it you've had a run in with Shimano's reverse rise poo poo from the past then :v: I still have that on my 2005 Orange 5 and I quite like it actually!

32/34 is only undergeared if you're riding massively fast trails or doing a spot of road riding. Generally it's bang on though and with the low gear on the cassettes now being enormous you get the full spread of gearing you previously did with a 3x9.

And chains are strong, it's a rare occasion I've seen them broken from SHEER POWER rather than idiocy shifting all the gear whilst still pedaling.
With the shifters, it's more I'd assume they package stuff together, so you'd get a reverse rise "system" from them, but if they're still the traditional pattern as per normal rapidfire, then fair enough.

Gearing, I guess you're right, it just feels odd the lose that big gearing up top. I suppose I could just change to a larger chainring if I had an issue, I rarely used the granny ring anyway, so even a net increase in overall gearing would be fine.

I wasn't so much worried about snapping a chain, more wondering if the 11 speed stuff is any less durable in terms of wear, especially when packed with grinding paste mud.

This is all getting a bit ahead of myself anyway. I need to literally get back in the saddle and get to a position where I can justify a new bike rather than being the stereotypical porcine weekend warrior on several times as much bike as I can actually make use of.

Saying that, those carbon Marin Mount Visions look nice...

Goober Peas posted:

Re: Geo Tracker
Aren't front diffs a little weak on them?

Doesn't seem to stop people over here, though. They've always been popular for fairly serious off road work, especially in that period between cheap SJs becoming scarce and Jimnys not having dropped to shed money.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Geoj posted:

All things being relative, not really. Its your typical midwest climate - upper teens/lower 20s (-10 to -5 C) for average lows during the winter, upper 80s to lower 90s (30 to 35 C) for average highs in the summer. Detroit is at the wrong end of the lake for lake effect snow in the winter (warm lake water relative to the air causes clouds that drop snow up to 30 miles inland) so aside from the occasional cold snap winter is more or less tolerable for people accustomed to living where it snows in the winter.

There are definitely bad, bad parts of Detroit I wouldn't want to be caught dead in but the whole city isn't some post-apocalyptic Mad Max hellhole - and that extends outside of downtown. My biggest worry about living in Detroit proper and not outlying suburbs is the longterm viability of the city government.

Ya all this

also it's almost as cloudy as ireland or norway but the suburbs are very nice. I live in a suburb about 15 miles from downtown detroit and it's close enough to be able to go to a hockey game easily and downtown is safe enough that you can walk around at 2a without too much worry, but it's definitely dodgier than some other DT area. it's also far enough that if i drive north for half an hour i can go buy antiques and stuff at tiny shops in tiny towns

the urban sprawl is pretty immense though, i was driving almost 40miles one way to work when i was at Ford and i never crossed into backwoods area, it was all within the sprawl

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Adiabatic posted:

Grow a beard and that issue is resolved ;)

But legit I love snow and rain and weather and whatnot.

Plus we have less poisonous/venomous things.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i prefer it to be sunny and 80-90F all the time because i get real fuckin depressed when it's cloudy

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Adiabatic posted:

As a 7 year resident of Grand Rapids and Flint, I'm never living in the midwest ever again.

As a Muskegon native, same. People give Florida poo poo but every time it rains while New York gets hammered with a winter storm I smile and do some light yardwork usually involving citrus. Then I look at my rust free car and smile.

Thanks for the Tracker words, seems like it is very much on the other end in terms of reliability to the sc300 we just got. Impossible to kill out of spite vs precision engineering.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Geoj posted:

RE: job chat, was laid off late last month from my lovely computer janitor job at a bottom-feeding call center. Not broken up about losing the job at all (actually if anything I'm better off now) but not having the steady paycheck sucks.

About a week or so before that I had interviewed for a systems engineer position at an IT consulting firm. They had claimed they were looking to make a decision by the end of the first week of March, so when that passed I assumed they had gone with another candidate. This morning I received an email asking if I was still interested and if so could I come in for a second interview next week.

Things are definitely looking up - historically I've never made it to a second interview and not gone on to get the job, and if I can secure a job that quickly I will only have a month of unemployment to gently caress with my taxes at the end of the year, I haven't even blown through all of my meager savings yet and I'm current on all of my bills. I had a serious moment the week after I was laid off of considering changing careers since its been nothing but 1.5 - 2 years between layoffs - laid off (technically my position was eliminated as redundant) from HP as part of their split in 2015 and now because my previous employer lost a health insurance contract worth something between 10-15% of their workforce. I really don't want to bounce from one job to the next every few years at the same pay level in perpetuity.

Are you getting that sweet, sweet unemployment check?

Adiabatic posted:

The thing about the midwest is that the farther north you go the better it is.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

no, the farther north you go the less lovely people are

dont go too far north tho

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I'll have you know I grew up in one of the farthest north places in the midwest and I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. :colbert:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

The further south you go, the further North you are :eng101:

Edit

Soon.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 17, 2017

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

:perfect:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Y'all not get the Suzuki Vitara then?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

JFairfax posted:

I'd like to get involved and wondering if anyone here is part of a team that will be racing at Joliet this July?

I'll email a guy that I'm pretty sure is on a team and get back to you.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
well I hate to interrupt weather chat, but I've got A SONG RECCOMENDATRON

This particular track has been on rotation in my wider playlist for a month or two now. Initially I never paid it no mind.

I'd be driving along, minding my own business. See the strange thing is, you hear it start, nothing to think about.

Keep driving. Song continues, driving continues.

Somehow, about four and a half minutes later the volume on your car stereo is cranked as loud as it will go without distorting and you have no idea how that happened.

Anywho, enjoy,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSfBRdYlXqU

slothrop fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 17, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Adiabatic posted:

Because the cost of living is 1/3 that of anywhere nice that isn't some shithole in Texas/Oklahoma.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Because the cost of living is 1/3 that of anywhere nice that isn't some shithole in Texas/Oklahoma.

Come to Chicago! Worst of both worlds!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The cost of living in Metroit is significantly higher than most of Texas

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

Yeah, but you're living in Detroit...

I would imagine there are advantages

:911: This is 911 what's your emergency
:kingsley: There's some idiots doing donuts in the middle of woodward
:911: How many shots fired?
:kingsley: shots fired? what? none
:911: Sir, this is an emergency line, prank calls are a felony

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Are you getting that sweet, sweet unemployment check?

Yeah, last week was my first eligible week for benefits. Only pays about half of what I made but I see more of it because they're only withholding 10% for federal income taxes - no state/local taxes, Medicare or FICA withholding. Which will bite me in the rear end if I'm on unemployment for too long - I finally caught up with back taxes from being on unemployment for six months in 2012 with my 2015 return.

Ran the numbers and now that my wife has a somewhat decent job we only have about a $700/month hole in our monthly income.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 17, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Sram has two buttons you push with your thumb. The benefit to this over the shimano trigger is that you don't have to take your finger off the brake to shift.

Sram's 11 speed uses a 10t smallest cog, 34x10 is like 38x11.

Pros ride it, they have more power than you, it's not going to break. Unless you're nm.

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 17, 2017

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Powershift posted:

I would imagine there are advantages

:911: This is 911 what's your emergency
:kingsley: There's some idiots doing donuts in the middle of woodward
:911: How many shots fired?
:kingsley: shots fired? what? none
:911: Sir, this is an emergency line, prank calls are a felony

I've been to Detroit half a dozen times for work in the past six months and it's astounding how far the city has come. I've never felt unsafe, even a little. The worst part is the glut of homeless people asking for money, but they're easy enough to handle.

My buddy and I went to Hamtramck to get Bosnian food. It's where he came up and the sheer amount of diverse immigrant-owned places there was like heaven to me.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

When i first moved here and was a real oval office me and some friends would race up and down I-75 at 120mph at 2a because the police were too busy with murders

i dont think you can get away with it anymore but ya, if anyone is ever in town lmk and if im not buried in work like i currently am im down for a meetup

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Y'all not get the Suzuki Vitara then?

Yeah we got them in that body style but they more often than not say "Chevy" on them and there is a hard line lack of yellow and stripes :colbert:

Re: cost of living

Yeah where we are in Sarasota is more expensive than lots of places unless you are buying stone crab and Grouper. However, it is very worth it to me and it does hurt at all that I look like every white persons' son/grandson and have had nothing but positive experiences with police.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 17, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Beverly Cleavage posted:

With a proper beard, it doesn't hurt your face. :colbert:

Siochain posted:

Grow a beard and that issue is resolved ;)

Have a beard, cold still sucks.

no, the farther north you go the less lovely people there are

Fixed this for you.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Geoj posted:

Yeah, last week was my first eligible week for benefits. Only pays about half of what I made but I see more of it because they're only withholding 10% for federal income taxes - no state/local taxes, Medicare or FICA withholding. Which will bite me in the rear end if I'm on unemployment for too long - I finally caught up with back taxes from being on unemployment for six months in 2012 with my 2015 return.

Ran the numbers and now that my wife has a somewhat decent job we only have about a $700/month hole in our monthly income.

I was unemployed for the first 6 months of 2016 so we'll see how badly I get screwed when I finally do my taxes this year :v:. Glad you're getting the bennies though. I know too many people who avoid claiming UI for all kinds of stupid reasons.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I was unemployed for the first 6 months of 2016 so we'll see how badly I get screwed when I finally do my taxes this year :v:

In my case it was exacerbated by my wife not knowing what the gently caress when she filled out her W-4 and claiming two exemptions, and her employer at the time (a privately run animal shelter) having an extremely part time accountant who could never be bothered to change it for her.

When doing my taxes when she worked there it would always go from a decent sized return with just my W-2 to almost nothing or owing $100 or so once I input her W-2. Which was fine up until I had a major drop in income/income taxes paid and it flipped from owing $100 to owing about $1300 in back taxes and penalties.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

With the shifters...
I was in Halfords today, and had a poke at the SRAM shifters on some bikes there. They have a large thumb paddle for downshifts, but the upshift trigger is a smaller paddle behind that, you push it forward, rather than flicking it toward you with your index finger.

What the gently caress is this bullshit? Are they all like that?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

McTinkerson posted:

With the recent St. Petersburg chat in the post your ride thread, I'm going to be there from May 1/2 to May​ 6 this year. Anything cool to see / do?

Edit: spelling

Plenty of poo poo to do, too much to list. Comes down to what YOU like to do. We have the beaches and a great downtown area as well as a huge state park.

You can pm me if you like, or just shoot any questions here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

JFairfax posted:

Hey, are you looking to join a team? My guy says that the 24 Hours of Lemons forums are a good place to start.

• Locked thread