Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think you're mistaken as most kids still would perfer a PS4 over a switch and it will remain like that until switch gets call of duty and mine craft. Nintendo properties just aren't that relevant anymore in comparison to Minecraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I think you're mistaken as most kids still would perfer a PS4 over a switch and it will remain like that until switch gets call of duty and mine craft. Nintendo properties just aren't that relevant anymore in comparison to Minecraft.

Wii was 2nd best selling console of all time and didn't sell to them to do it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

My boss is going to be on a ten hour flight today and I'm sorely tempted to bring my Switch to the office and head down to my car for multiple "meetings" with BotW.

Let him borrow your switch. Get a promotion after the best flight of his life.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Infinitum posted:

Smash Deluxe style port would be wonderful. (All stages + characters from both the 3DS+WiiU versions? :allears:)

Smash on the switch is going to be fantastic just in terms of nerd salt-- I'm already :allears: at the inevitable combination of "casual fighting game made more casual-friendly for the portable system that comes stock with dual controllers" and "but but but MELEE"

Also if there's not a Mario Party of some sort by holiday season I will be honestly stunned

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bombadilillo posted:

Wii was 2nd best selling console of all time and didn't sell to them to do it.

Which is nothing in comparison to the numbers Minecraft does on tablets and phones...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Which is nothing in comparison to the numbers Minecraft does on tablets and phones...

Which has nothing to do with anything.

"switch will sell well"

"But Minecraft sells well"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

[citation needed]

i mean even before we start talking about the fallacy of generalizing what "most kids want" and assuming console purchases are one or the other, especially for "permanently connected to a TV" vs "handheld with an hdmi connector"

nintendo's historical strong point has been portable devices, despite them trying to call the switch a "household console" and implement a multiuser system I'll bet we'll be seeing a lot of people treating it as a handheld first, docked console second

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

the wii u had minecraft

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nintendo is getting Minecraft sometime this year

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm pretty sure Nintendo is doomed guys

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
No Minecraft or Netflix? What are people even gonna do with the switch?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They're gunna be doomed if they keep not updating the eshop like loving idiots. They need to do it at midnight like everyone else.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I kind of remember Nintendo being doomed when I bought my gamecube. I'm sure they'll be put out of business any day now.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Nintendo has been doomed since [point after I stopped being a child]

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Let him borrow your switch. Get a promotion after the best flight of his life.

Not worth going without BotW this weekend.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Dr Cheeto posted:

No Minecraft or Netflix? What are people even gonna do with the switch?

A lot of people like minecraft and Netflix. Those people are not going to buy a switch before those things are on it, no matter how much you mock them.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And no matter what way you slice it there is still only one game on Switch and will be until Mario. Splatoon is only popular with nerds , and Mario Kart is just a remaster of a game that anyone who bought a Wii already owns.

Unless you like Zelda there is literally no reason for anyone to want a Switch until December if they like Mario. And if they're one of the millions of people who like CoD, Minecraft, GTA, FIFA then really there is no reason to buy a Switch period.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

And no matter what way you slice it there is still only one game on Switch and will be until Mario. Splatoon is only popular with nerds , and Mario Kart is just a remaster of a game that anyone who bought a Wii already owns.

Unless you like Zelda there is literally no reason for anyone to want a Switch until December if they like Mario. And if they're one of the millions of people who like CoD, Minecraft, GTA, FIFA then really there is no reason to buy a Switch period.

- a person with no rooftop parties on their calendar

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wheany posted:

A lot of people like minecraft and Netflix. Those people are not going to buy a switch before those things are on it, no matter how much you mock them.

I doubt people going "I'd buy the switch if it had Netflix even if I already have it on my tablet, laptop and smart TV" are a large demographic.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I doubt people going "I'd buy the switch if it had Netflix even if I already have it on my tablet, laptop and smart TV" are a large demographic.

"I would totally have bought the switch to watch netflix on my bus commute, even though it means jumping through hoops to tether it to my phone because no console has view-netflix-offline capabilities yet! You've lost a sale, nintendo!"

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Wheany posted:

If Minecraft/Netflix are your big things there are a zillion other far less expensive ways to enjoy them. If they launched with that stuff, it would be way too easy to dismiss it as ~another smart device~ by your average consumer. "But Billy, you already have that on your Computer/iPad/PS4." They're making sure people know why the system is unique before they add the things you can get anywhere else. They're not shooting for non-nerds until Christmas imo.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Good, gently caress the kids.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the go is intriguing enough to bring people in (in addition to Zelda), same with Splatoon. People can argue whether they are system sellers on their own, but they all compound with the other games already on. This notion that sales will fall flat until December is overplayed at this point. gently caress, even though skyrim is in every system at this point, a chunk of people will want to play it on the shitter or in bed and get a Switch when looking at the library at that point. More availability and X many aaa games will always be a limit for people to buy it, X being someone's arbitrary number of AAA titles to make it worthwhile.

A Mario Kart bundle will sell. A Splatoon bundle will sell, especially if they have special color joycons.

Also, Reggie said on that morning show this week that Minecraft is good for kids' minds and will be on Nintendo this year.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I'm personally jazzed about playing MK8 and Splatoon. Missed out on both during the U era. I doubt we're gonna see many bundles until holiday though.

Lol yeah unique in that it has one game and none of the games that are actually popular with kids or the public.

I'm talking about the functionality, not games. The most important thing for them is to show why this platform is different so that when some kid's favorite IP does eventually come out, they'll want the Switch so they can take it in the car with them and do multiplayer or whatever.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 17, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaspy Conana posted:

If Minecraft/Netflix are your big things there are a zillion other far less expensive ways to enjoy them. If they launched with that stuff, it would be way too easy to dismiss it as ~another smart device~ by your average consumer. "But Billy, you already have that on your Computer/iPad/PS4." They're making sure people know why the system is unique before they add the things you can get anywhere else. They're not shooting for non-nerds until Christmas imo.

Lol yeah unique in that it has one game and none of the games that are actually popular with kids or the public.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Gaspy Conana posted:

I'm personally jazzed about playing MK8 and Splatoon. Missed out on both during the U era. I doubt we're gonna see many bundles until holiday though.

People who haven't purchased a Nintendo product in awhile are intrigued by the Switch like they were with the Wii. If you think MK8, especially with the battle mode, won't bring back enough memories for some number of people to buy a Switch, you are being cynical. I don't think they will sell all "16 million" units they plan to manufacture. But there will be ok sales throughout the year.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm gonna buy Mario kart 8

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Ya, not like it's sales are already showing it sold beyond Nintendo/Zelda fanboys or anything...

ethanol posted:

I'm gonna buy Mario kart 8

Shhhhh, you're just a fanboy, not representative of 12 year olds with their COD and Minecraft

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
You nerds act like Splatoon was some niche hit when it did Mario numbers

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, Mario Teaches Typing numbers

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Dr Cheeto posted:

But it is just basically the first game with new levels, weapons, single player gameplay, graphics, and now portable. Basically just a rerelease of the original at full price. No one will buy it...

It doesn't count as a game, nothing does until Mario Odyssey comes out.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Yeah, Mario Teaches Typing numbers

How are you going to troll this thread so lovely yet you know about Mario Teaches Typing?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

enojy posted:

How are you going to troll this thread so lovely yet you know about Mario Teaches Typing?

Really just bitter they couldn't get a Switch preorder and trying to convince themselves it is poo poo until stores get stock...

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't understand the point of this endless discussion (besides "goons"). The wiiU was a flop and yet it was pretty good if you actually got it.

The switch may or may not fail short sales wise, but we'll still get years of Splatoon, Mario, Indies and an incredible Zelda. If you bought the thing then you're probably happy with your purchase and will remain so for a while. If you didn't, what is it to you if it fails or not?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got two switches then returned one to target

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dr Cheeto posted:

Lets be fair here, pretty much every "hit" on the wii u is pretty niche when only like 50 people own one world wide

I'm honestly less inclined to pick up a switch right now because I still have Wii U games I need to finish, and the one Switch game that matters is also on it. But that Mario Oddysey tho...

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

fivegears4reverse posted:

Lets be fair here, pretty much every "hit" on the wii u is pretty niche when only like 50 people own one world wide

Rest in peace, fat Wii

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

My Joy-Con glitched while playing 1 2 Switch against my wife.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Switch will have Minecraft and FIFA by the end of the year and I'd be incredibly surprised if they didn't have most of your standard video apps and a browser by then, so I don't really think a lack of those is a current argument against the system this holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Canned Panda posted:

My Joy-Con glitched while playing 1 2 Switch against my wife.

Why did you marry an octopus

• Locked thread