Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Looking at youtube apparently it is actually possible to beat the hydra at the encampment legitimately by ignoring the actual health bar and lack of feedback and just and waling on one of its heads? I don't know if playing Dark Arisen on PC is different or if I just couldn't do enough damage in time but when I fought it the combination of having no real visible effect on the first of its 10(!) health bars when I attacked it combined with the fact that it had a swallow attack that could kill you in one hit if you failed a QTE and the AI helpers failed to rescue you in time meant that after a few minutes of chipping away and struggling to stay alive the game takes mercy and turns into a puzzle boss where you beat it by tossing an explosive barrel into its mouth and then shooting the lump in its throat before it can swallow it so its head gets blown off.

You're basically still in the tutorial when you fight the hydra, it's not a real fight. Also there is a fast travel system although it admittedly isn't clear at all. There should be a infinite riftstone somewhere in your stash, which you can check at a Inn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Triarii posted:

You can "break" it like any weapon, but it repairs itself after a cooldown. (Though it won't repair from partial damage, another annoying thing.)

This does suck, whenever it tells me it's getting weak I find myself intentionally breaking it so it doesn't break 2 hits into a fight I actually want to use it for.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nuebot posted:

Is it true that even the Master Sword has limited uses?

Yes, but in addition to what the posters have said, the MS gets double attack and drastically increased durability when around guardians or inside dungeons (shrines excluded)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Captain Lavender posted:

I know the game's assertion that it's about being a stealth assassin is paper thin by this point, but I don't know how you put bombs in this game without changing the title.

Those bombs were fantastic though. They weren't like, grenades, they were all meant as distractions. Gold bomb, which scatters money to draw crowds, fireworks as a general noisemaker, datura bombs to cause hallucinations and infighting (in the nastiest way possible, because jesus, datura!?), and my personal favorite...

...the blood bombs. So wonderfully gross. :unsmigghh:

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
A little late to the conversation but the Souls games can get hosed for making you trek through half the level to retry a boss fight.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Lord Lambeth posted:

You're basically still in the tutorial when you fight the hydra, it's not a real fight. Also there is a fast travel system although it admittedly isn't clear at all. There should be a infinite riftstone somewhere in your stash, which you can check at a Inn.

This teleport stone appears in your stash after you do the story mission that sends you to the main city. I was very confused at first cause I expected it to just be there from the start.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
gently caress you, The Technomancer, I was going to beat that big-rear end bug. Don't suddenly take away control and say I needed someone to step in and save me.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Futuresight posted:

This teleport stone appears in your stash after you do the story mission that sends you to the main city. I was very confused at first cause I expected it to just be there from the start.

Oh I get that then, you don't really need it before you get there.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Yeah for sure, it's just confusing when you've heard you're supposed to have it but can't find it when you look first thing. :P

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Also in Dark Arisen you can go to Bitterblack early and change your class if you want.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So I'm playing Zelda: BotW on Wii U, and I'm thinking it was developed as a Wii U game for a while since the key item in-game is basically a tablet that you use to keep track of things. When they understandably made it a Switch launch title, though, I guess that part got shoved aside, since the gamepad isn't used for much (apart from tilting to aim some things). This itself is just kind of a shame, having the menus and maps and such on the gamepad in Wind Waker HD was a big quality of life improvement, but my major objection is that instead the pad screen just slowly flashes "tap here to play on gamepad only" the whole time you're playing. There's no way to turn it off AFAIK and it's kinda distracting. Got used to it eventually but annoying.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Welp, I've remembered why I never beat Sideway: New York - it is literally unbeatable, because the later levels, most infamously the long-as-hell Time Square level, are known to crash all the time, just hardlock the game. It's a shame, cause I liked that game. :(

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I wouldn't dislike the final fight in Styx if the boss arena was bigger and had more verticality like most of the game's levels. It's too cramped to not rely on invisibility to keep the no alerts challenge and the fight isn't even a final exam kinda fight. It's just a return of some meh enemies that are thematically appropriate but don't really do much and it ends after two waves instead of a rule of three which feels really abrupt but I'm not gonna argue for more of the game's combat.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I reached The Lord of Thieves in Berserk, and my first attempt ended with him throwing me into a corner and body-blocking/stun locking me to death through Frenzy. All I could see was snake-man crotch as Guts flinched to death.

Even a little superarmor during Frenzy would make boss fights remotely enjoyable, did no one playtest the bosses?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Overwatch
Look I get it you wanna play hanzo/widow/mccree thats fine but when winston just stomps over you for 5 minutes youll just spend the game dead. But at least you have time to call me a retard for pointing this out.

Overwatch is fun but I have no way of avoiding these guys.

It's surprising how many people with tons of hours in the game dont seem to understand the basics. I dont mind fuckups but this is dedication to loving up.

EDIT: Also another thing dragging the game down: EU region. Are the hero names translated or something? Why are you telling me to attack 'jocker'? Do you mean junkrat? Who's Torbian? Watch out for 'gun'? You mean bastion?

Also whats with germans insulting everyone in german then laughing about it? I hosed my mom wheres the joke buddy?

Vic has a new favorite as of 15:35 on Mar 17, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Maxwell Lord posted:

So I'm playing Zelda: BotW on Wii U, and I'm thinking it was developed as a Wii U game for a while since the key item in-game is basically a tablet that you use to keep track of things. When they understandably made it a Switch launch title, though, I guess that part got shoved aside, since the gamepad isn't used for much (apart from tilting to aim some things). This itself is just kind of a shame, having the menus and maps and such on the gamepad in Wind Waker HD was a big quality of life improvement, but my major objection is that instead the pad screen just slowly flashes "tap here to play on gamepad only" the whole time you're playing. There's no way to turn it off AFAIK and it's kinda distracting. Got used to it eventually but annoying.

That was exactly what happened according to a thing I read. They had to strip all that out after they got the memo it was going multi platform.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

That was exactly what happened according to a thing I read. They had to strip all that out after they got the memo it was going multi platform.

That sucks, it's the perfect use of the tablet. As a switch user, I'd be perfectly fine with the knowledge that the Wii U has increased functionality over what I have. I guess they just didn't want to dedicate resources that only half the SKUs would utilize.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

After BotW's completely freeing climbing system and "here's the world, go nuts" sense of freedom the opening hours of Horizon: Zero Dawn are a bogged down mess of mediocre storytelling and awful, awful, awful climbing.

The thing dragging it down is I played BotW first. If I hadn't, this would probably blow me away entirely. As it is, the combat is cool enough to keep me playing it for a while.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

food court bailiff posted:

After BotW's completely freeing climbing system and "here's the world, go nuts" sense of freedom the opening hours of Horizon: Zero Dawn are a bogged down mess of mediocre storytelling and awful, awful, awful climbing.

The thing dragging it down is I played BotW first. If I hadn't, this would probably blow me away entirely. As it is, the combat is cool enough to keep me playing it for a while.

The climbing of BotW drags down every other game for me. I keep playing Nier and Uncharted expecting to be able to latch onto the nearest cliff and just climb up, but nope.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

The climbing of BotW drags down every other game for me. I keep playing Nier and Uncharted expecting to be able to latch onto the nearest cliff and just climb up, but nope.

As long as it isn't raining for 20 irl minutes. You can't do dick when there's rain.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Len posted:

As long as it isn't raining for 20 irl minutes. You can't do dick when there's rain.

Yeah that's a real thing dragging down BotW. It's basically the "Okay time to have no fun exploring" mode that gets randomly activated. If there was actually some way to climb in the rain, sure, like if it used double stamina or something, but nope. Just slide the gently caress down constantly.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

you can climb in the rain and it does use double stamina. Climb from 3-4 seconds, jump up, slide down a bit, repeat

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

you can climb in the rain and it does use double stamina. Climb from 3-4 seconds, jump up, slide down a bit, repeat

That's a whole lot more than double. I have two circles of stamina and using it all will get me maybe a quarter of the way I could just leaping nonstop. Maaaybe that.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Nier: Automata really loving upped the anime. Holy poo poo, it's a terrible amount of anime compared to og Nier. Also the loving "We are gods" robot section has the most annoying music in almost any game I've ever played. Also the stupid robot tremolo voice effect is loving irritating as hell.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
You basically buy platinum games for being anime as gently caress.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

You basically buy platinum games for being anime as gently caress.

Nier wasn't that bad. It's the only other game I'd ever played by them so...my bad.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nier wasn't by Platinum

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Nier wasn't by Platinum

Well that explains that then.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You need to play Drakengard 3 in between Nier and Automata, it ties it all together.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Twitch posted:

You need to play Drakengard 3 in between Nier and Automata, it ties it all together.

Is there any way to play the Drakengard games on current consoles/PCs or do I have to like track down old PS2 games?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Zelda Breath of the Wild:

-Whenever you upgrade your endurance, you are also slightly punished for it. With each endurance upgrade your "exhaustion" period also grows longer. Link should recover from exhaustion when the inner ring fills.

-Cooldowns on the awesome skyflight power only begin counting down after you've used the last charge- 30 minutes beginning when you use the last one. There's no reason this shouldn't be one every 10 minutes.

-Swimming blows and takes forever, luckily you're given the ice tool immediately which kind of trivializes traversing water, but it's tedious in another way.

-NO Link just jump, don't dive, oh my god why do you do this, mRJHGwru7ygr23gr

-Left control stick press is stealth, instead of run. There's no option to change this. The number of times I've accidentally put away my weapons mid battle and "gone stealthy" is staggering.

Len posted:

-Holy christ this. The "benefit" you gain from it being rainy out is that you're slightly stealthier, which I want maybe 2% of my gameplay time, the drawback is that I can't explore anymore, which takes up, oh, 80% of my gameplay time? What a nuisance of a mechanic.

Poulpe has a new favorite as of 18:36 on Mar 17, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

For BotW I don't want the entire map marked for me just for climbing a tower but it would be nice if it did more than put a topographic map on my pause screen.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Len posted:

For BotW I don't want the entire map marked for me just for climbing a tower but it would be nice if it did more than put a topographic map on my pause screen.

I think half of the prize is meant to be having a teleportable vantage point in the middle of the zone that you can use as a launch point to quickly explore in any direction, but, yeah, I hear this.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Poulpe posted:

Zelda Breath of the Wild:

-Cooldowns on the awesome skyflight power only begin counting down after you've used the last charge- 30 minutes beginning when you use the last one. There's no reason this shouldn't be one every 10 minutes.

you're gonna be annoyed by the others

swim speed - get ten flint, give them to a lady in gerudo town, get opal, buy opal earrings from her, go to the zoras, and get the zora tunic. bam, swim speed up +2

ive gotten myself to letting go of the run button just before i'm out of stamina so that i don't need to wait forever from being tired.

diving is a form of art in and of itself :colbert:

yeah rain sucks. it really, really sucks. with thunder storms you at least get to watch enemies get blown up. oh wait actually if you have shock arrows, shoot enemies with them in the rain. it's pretty fun.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Rain is just your cue to go and fight some Bokoblins or collect rare elixir ingredients or something. The game is so open in every other aspect that I can't hold a semi-realistic limitation against it, especially since half of the best critters only come out in the rain anyway. It can be frustrating but it also gives you opportunities you don't have any other time.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

food court bailiff posted:

Is there any way to play the Drakengard games on current consoles/PCs or do I have to like track down old PS2 games?

ps2 emulation has been a thing for a while.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

spit on my clit posted:

diving is a form of art in and of itself :colbert:

Not when it cancels activation of your glider for no apparent reason! :shepface:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

ps2 emulation has been a thing for a while.

I meant legally.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Poulpe posted:

Not when it cancels activation of your glider for no apparent reason! :shepface:

who said art was helpful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

One thing that actually bugs the hell out of me in BotW is that you can't start climbing from a crouch, and you can't leave a crouch if you're too close to a lot of walls.