Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Empress Brosephine posted:

I got two switches then returned one to target

And what, you aren't going to buy another game on it until Odyssey? No MK8, Splatoon or any of the indies/3rd party games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a nerd so I will, but that's not the argument

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I don't understand the point of this endless discussion (besides "goons"). The wiiU was a flop and yet it was pretty good if you actually got it.

The switch may or may not fail short sales wise, but we'll still get years of Splatoon, Mario, Indies and an incredible Zelda. If you bought the thing then you're probably happy with your purchase and will remain so for a while. If you didn't, what is it to you if it fails or not?

I just generally want the thing to be a success and would like to see Nintendo be competitive in this market again with their weird colorful generally kid-friendly design philosophy intact. Would be nice to subvert the current AAA situation a bit. I'll def enjoy the heck out of it in the meantime though.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Well MK8 sold nearly double that of Mario 3D World. So I think that would appeal to the non-nerds more than Odyssey. Zelda would as well.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Still happy that my brain hasn't broke yet and I can enjoy things regardless of whether or not they sell well.

Even when they're selling really well?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gaspy Conana posted:

I just generally want the thing to be a success and would like to see Nintendo be competitive in this market again with their weird colorful generally kid-friendly design philosophy intact. Would be nice to subvert the current AAA situation a bit. I'll def enjoy the heck out of it in the meantime though.

Oh, agreed. I think there's definitely a market for the switch and I'm hoping it does well. Still, time will tell, not shitposting endlessly.

Man I kinda want to get blastermaster, shovel Knight and Disgaea on the up stores but between the console and extras I've spend way too much money on the switch this month :smith:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

People want things to fail, for entertainment purposes. The Apple Watch is a prime example and when it as a single product brought in more revenue than Tesla as a company last year there was a collective sigh of disappointment.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Someone gettin' mad about video games in here?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I just wanna play video games!

Zelda is good. I just keep exploring around and finding new things to fight and new environments to run around in and it is good.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Quidthulhu posted:

Uh, is the patch for the input lag on Bomberman R what I just downloaded when I booted it up? Because the input lag is way WORSE now....

haha yes I tried it last night after I got the patch and I saw zero difference

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

So I just got one and am disappointed by the tiny little controllers. I find it difficult and unpleasant to use the little buttons and tiny sticks. I only had an hour with it though - tell me it gets better and we get used to it?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

idk I have giant hands and have had no problems with it, not even the desync problems people have been having.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Gaspy Conana posted:

I'm personally jazzed about playing MK8 and Splatoon. Missed out on both during the U era. I doubt we're gonna see many bundles until holiday though.

I'm talking about the functionality, not games. The most important thing for them is to show why this platform is different so that when some kid's favorite IP does eventually come out, they'll want the Switch so they can take it in the car with them and do multiplayer or whatever.

Nintendo is the most successful console publisher with children followed by Activision, Ubisoft, EA, and then Microsoft. It's why publishers with products targeting very young children, such as Skylanders, tend to collaborate with Nintendo. It's a very lucrative and under-served demographic for publishers but they have a hard time cracking it.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Well MK8 sold nearly double that of Mario 3D World. So I think that would appeal to the non-nerds more than Odyssey. Zelda would as well.

Splatoon has sold more units than Drive Club, Killzone Shadowfall, Forza Horizon 3 (Xbox 1 + Windows), Sunset Overdrive, Dead Rising 3, The Order 1886, Infamous Second Son, and Bloodbourne worldwide. In Japan, it has outsold every non-Nintendo home console game, including Yakuza 0 (PS3+PS4), Resident Evil 7, Metal Gear Solid 5 The Phantom Pain (PS3+PS4), Tales of Zestiria (PS3+PS4), Dark Souls 3, Dragon Quest Heroes (PS3+PS4), and Final Fantasy XV.

Splatoon had a truncated development cycle since Nintendo wanted it out by Summer of 2015. Let's see what the sequel can do.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Tenacious J posted:

So I just got one and am disappointed by the tiny little controllers. I find it difficult and unpleasant to use the little buttons and tiny sticks. I only had an hour with it though - tell me it gets better and we get used to it?

I got big-rear end hands and only the joycons-in-grip are slightly uncomfortable. There's always the beefy Pro Controller to try.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I got big-rear end hands and only the joycons-in-grip are slightly uncomfortable. There's always the beefy Pro Controller to try.

*if you can find one.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Meridian posted:

Someone gettin' mad about video games in here?

I irritate the world.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Put up BoI dicks :qq:

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

i got one and glued some neon truck nuts to it, wouldn't want anyone thinking it was a girl purse for girls

That's what I'm doing to mine for sure. Only way I'll truly feel confident walking with my Switch murse

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I just clipped several truck nutz to my trousers so I never forget

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'm not a huge BoI fan but I am tempted to get it as I hadn't played anything but vanilla. Would much prefer Gungeon (or, if we're going to dream, FTL) on this thing but alas.

Bomberman is still in its wrap and I'm kind of tempted to just return it after hearing about the input lag and other various issues. Seems like impressions of the release got worse than the demo.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

*if you can find one.

I'm in Canada, Switch accessories seem to be plentiful here. Consoles less so, but at least I managed to snag one w/o pre-order :laugh:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

FireMrshlBill posted:

But it is just basically the first game with new levels, weapons, single player gameplay, graphics, and now portable. Basically just a rerelease of the original at full price. No one will buy it...

If you think about it, every sequel is just the same game with completely new things, meaning that if you own anything, there's no reason to purchase anything that comes after it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tenacious J posted:

I'm a big guy, was pretty surprised at how small the joycons are, but they feel fine now.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tenacious J posted:

You've got options. Did you try attaching the shoulder grips to give them a little more heft? Can you find a Pro? At this point I've settled on Pro for playing while docked, and loose joycons while playing in tabletop.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!
No one in the thread seems particularly mad.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I doubt people going "I'd buy the switch if it had Netflix even if I already have it on my tablet, laptop and smart TV" are a large demographic.

That isn't the point. Application support has been a standard on all devices for these services, and on NIntendo's past devices, for over 5 years. At this point it is like releasing a car without a radio in it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It is really dumb, but if it's just a product of the console being rushed, and they're gonna have Netflix eventually, I'm fine with it. I'd rather have a Switch without Netflix for 6 months than no Switch at all for 6 months.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

parallelodad posted:

Nice meltdown

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

It is really dumb, but if it's just a product of the console being rushed, and they're gonna have Netflix eventually, I'm fine with it. I'd rather have a Switch without Netflix for 6 months than no Switch at all for 6 months.

Look at this sucker.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Those 14 dollar grips for the separated joycons are great and good for people with larger hands. They are <15 dollars too.

Also Netflix isn't an essential app anymore. In two years time they won't even have 4000 titles and their own titles are actually getting worse overall. Time to let go.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 17, 2017

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

parallelodad posted:

utnayan immediately shows up to prove you wrong

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
This may have been mentioned:

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/17/14956344/nintendo-switch-production-numbers-2017-wsj

I think they are making a huge mistake and overestimating demand due to scalpers. It would be nice to see the statistics of how many Switch's out of the original shipment batch were bought with the pure intent to mark up and resell. They anticipate 16 million units shipping for their fiscal year from April of this year to next, and without a lot of software, a weak online component in beta, and lack of VC; by July I see a massive price drop (I would even venture to say as low as $199) as scalper demand falls to zero.

I also freely admit I do not think a remastered Mario Kart will sell a lot of units. (Splatoon 2 most likely will though)

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Also Netflix isn't an essential app anymore. In two years time they won't even have 4000 titles and their own titles are actually getting worse overall. Time to let go.

This is not even close to true with Netflix's gains in Original content. Netflix won an oscar this year, and Amazon studios took 3. That is not even mentioning fantastic shows on Netflix such as Stranger Things, House of Cards, Orange is the new Black, and new Netflix Original Movies.

https://moviepilot.com/p/netflix-originals-2017-new-returning-guide-rumored-confirmed/4143771

Also, I highly recommend Black Mirror if you liked the old Black and White Twilight Zones.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 17, 2017

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Utnayan posted:

I also freely admit I do not think a remastered Mario Kart will sell a lot of units. (Splatoon 2 most likely will though)

Yeah, pretty sure you're going to be wrong about this.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!

whaley posted:

He not mad, he sad, be glad, I'm your dad, and I'm rad.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

whaley posted:

lol and he did

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

whaley posted:

:eyepop:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

whaley posted:

:bowtie:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So I finally got my hands on a Switch, able to try it out for an hour or so. Here are my thoughts on this:

This screen is tiny and utter trash. If I want to appreciate what I am seeing in any way, I need to have the joycons slotted in, holding it close to my face. If I prop this thing up on a table somewhere in a realistic fashion, it's utter trash and lmao @ the thought of playing Skyrim on such a tiny display.

The joysticks on the controllers feel cheap, make awful noises when snapping back, and, generally handle like trash.

There is virtually no space between the bumpers, leaving no space to my rest my index fingers. I have to put them
under the joycons, behind the bumpers.

The "controller" you slot the joycons in feels like a cheaply made chinese knockoff.

I am forced to hold the Switch kinda awkwardly, since the left joystick is really far up, and the right one realy far down. It just does not feel comfortable, and in addition, the thing is quite heavy too.

So yeah. Tiny loving screen, a cheap feeling and an overall lack of comfort makes this a joke, at least to me. 450 bucks for this? Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Holy poo poo.

• Locked thread