Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I opened three packs and got a Moon, Entreat, and Damping Matrix. I'm happy. I will draft the rest of a box with my friends tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Angry Grimace posted:

My completely objective opinion is that this set seems good and you should open all your packs immediately:

I'm torn between opening packs now or waiting for prices of these cards to go down, because I need like every chase rare/mythic in the set, and ugh this isn't helping.

Drafting this tonight if nothing comes up, I'm excited.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

C-Euro posted:

I'm torn between opening packs now or waiting for prices of these cards to go down, because I need like every chase rare/mythic in the set, and ugh this isn't helping.

Drafting this tonight if nothing comes up, I'm excited.

If it helps, my chase rares were a Catacombs, a Marsh Flats, Goblin Guide, and Damnation

My mythics were Linvala and Griselbrand

Did get a foil Venser though so that was cool.

Edit: The new Serum Visions art is pretty nice too.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 17, 2017

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

quote:

It has been a long time since I made a post. I bought a lot of Reddit Gold a long time ago and have not been able to give it all out nearly fast enough over the years. I was expecting to use it to a greater effect but it seems that the reprint of Séance is giving me an opportunity to give out some of the gold now.

If you are interested in redeeming your Séances for Reddit Gold, post a picture of a uniquely torn playset of Séances (or a single foil Séance) on top of or beside your LGS's showcase with the Reddit account you would like the gold on, and include the name of the LGS in your comment.

These stipulations are only in case this post gets big and many people participate. If we have a small number of participants due to a lack of interest, this will be more of a rapid-fire gold-giving event as opposed to a slow, concerted redemption effort.

To break these seemingly weird rules down, the reason for the playset is to (most importantly) try to peg the bottom of the value at $1, as a 4x playset that can be turned in to a $4 Reddit Gold creates a theoretical bottom. Secondly it's to encourage trading. At an LGS there will likely be a few playsets for the people who are interested in this redemption, but no one is likely to have opened that up many by themselves. A foil one is also a rarity in a sense. Normally I allow PMs, but this is more for publicity to show how big these are, so we have to have it in the comments section. I may take a few hours to gild your message as I won't be at the computer constantly over the next 24 hours. It has to be on top of a glass showcase so that I can narrow down groupings of redemptions. Within each LGS the tearings have to be unique because we cannot have one playset of Séance be redeemed on multiple different accounts. That would defeat the purpose of creating an artificial bottom of $1 for Séance. So if the first playset is torn vertically for all 4, the next should be torn horizontally. Then the next in a vertical zig-zag, etc. Don't tear in to more than 2 pieces as that could also be a way to have the same playset redeemed multiple times.

If you do not want or already have Reddit Gold, write that you want a $4 donation to go to Unsung (a charity that accepts bitcoin) and I will donate to them instead of giving you gold.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

My completely objective opinion is that this set seems good and you should open all your packs immediately:

That was all in 1 box?

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
So I just finished a Modern Masters Six-player draft at my FLGS. Built a UW Flicker Deck that ground out games with Master Splicer and Wing Splicer being MVP's. Only Match loss to a Boros deck that drafted 4 Soul's Wardens, and managed to hit a Bonfire of the Damned every game, including a game three hail mary to destroy my five-golem board. Also pulled a Death's Shadow and a Foil Liliana of the Veil, so I can't complain in any manner.

The format feels pretty solid. While I got very lucky on colours (I think no-one else was drafting blue heavily), in general every colour has something that you can reliably build on. the worst mechanic is, obviously, Miracle, since it's so all or nothing. the Flicker Deck really only needs a few Flicker effects to get out of hand. I had two copies of Ghostly Flicker, a Mist Raven, a Kor Skyfisher, a Deputy of Acquittals and a Mistmeadow Witch. I only ever had to hit two or maybe three flickers to take control of the board.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Cyagames (sponsor of the Japan premier team) banned from "further Premier Events"

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/5zvhry/wotc_has_banned_the_appearance_of_cygames_as_a/

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Is there anything funnier than seance guy?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rinkles posted:

Cyagames (sponsor of the Japan premier team) banned from "further Premier Events"

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/5zvhry/wotc_has_banned_the_appearance_of_cygames_as_a/

Ahahaha, shadowverse owns. Someone get Blizzard to sponsor an MTG team.

Just remember:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 17, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

Chill la Chill posted:

Just remember:

This is some petty poo poo.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 17, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Chill la Chill posted:

Just remember:

Who was that that argued that WOTC is competent?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I don't get the funny. Is it that Hasbro thinks Duels is not a Magic product?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Siivola posted:

I don't get the funny. Is it that Hasbro thinks Duels is not a Magic product?

It's that Hasbro views Hearthstone as casual (when it apparently has a pretty big, money-wise, pro scene), and as a competitor to Duels, rather than to Magic.

EDIT: I just checked Twitch, Hearthstone is the second-most watched game, at 71.100 viewers in 264 channels (~270 per channel on average). Magic has 1120, on 16 channels (70 per), and that includes Numot, who has 600+ on his own.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 17, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

...I can't apparently read too good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Magic is a billion times better than Hearthstone as a game. But what makes it good is why it's never going to be as popular.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Turns out millennials prefer user interfaces and stable software.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mcmagic posted:

Magic is a billion times better than Hearthstone as a game. But what makes it good is why it's never going to be as popular.
Just install shadowverse already since that's that the good hearthstone-magic fusion.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

This is some petty poo poo.

it's petty but WOTC not wanting a bunch of players wearing shirts with competitors on it is at least something understandable, which when it comes to WOTC decisions is a rarity

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Chill la Chill posted:

Just install shadowverse already since that's that the good hearthstone-magic fusion.

Sorry I think you mean Eternal?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Being not free to play and having a poo poo interface are what make it good? :confused:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's actually having to wait for other people to okay your every play.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
It's the relative complexity and depth, but that's a fairly boring answer

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Siivola posted:

It's actually having to wait for other people to okay your every play.

This except unironically.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Holy crap are fetch prices CRUSHED already. You can get tarns for less than half their pre-spoiler Zen price.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

This except unironically.
I was already unironic :v:. Instant speed stuff is the neatest thing about Magic. It's just, it doesn't translate online very well.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
hearthstone doesn't have any interaction on the enemy turn as far as i recall, so i kinda hate that about it

is shadowverse at least better about that

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

ShaneB posted:

Holy crap are fetch prices CRUSHED already. You can get tarns for less than half their pre-spoiler Zen price.

Yeah that's crazy. Actually prices across the board are pretty much flattened, comparatively, and the first boxes are just getting cracked...

If you're a modern player, go sort mm17 singles on tcgplayer by price and prepare to be amazed

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

sit on my Facebook posted:

Yeah that's crazy. Actually prices across the board are pretty much flattened, comparatively, and the first boxes are just getting cracked...

If you're a modern player, go sort mm17 singles on tcgplayer by price and prepare to be amazed

Yeah, these are just the first boxes. I can only imagine how much cheaper things will be in a week or even two.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Kinda sad, kinda happy. I can finally get my Lilis. But I don't care about Tarns or Rainforests at all, really, and had nearly everything else in the set with value. So my collection value got crushed. But life goes on.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Siivola posted:

I was already unironic :v:. Instant speed stuff is the neatest thing about Magic. It's just, it doesn't translate online very well.

The instance mechanics aren't too bad, no where near as big an obstacle as the clunk and P2P aspects of MTGO or the over simplified Duels.

I genuinely believe the theory that Wizards don't want to put out a game that's too good in case it detracts from the physical format.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Someone selling a HP abrupt decay on TCGPlayer. How does that already exist? Did he spill coke on it?

EDIT: Cavern and Snapcaster at 30, Lili at 60 and dropping. What a time to be alive.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Shortest Path posted:

Someone selling a HP abrupt decay on TCGPlayer. How does that already exist? Did he spill coke on it?

Maybe selling a pack crimped card as HP?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

All fetches under 40, the non-U/G ones as low as 20. And some of you doubted.

:unsmith:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

hearthstone doesn't have any interaction on the enemy turn as far as i recall, so i kinda hate that about it

is shadowverse at least better about that

I dunno about Shadowverse, but Eternal does instant mechanics, from tapping on your opponent's turn, to just bolting them at the end of the turn, to just responding to a kill spell with a buff.

LSV and Patrick Chapin are also on the design team IIRC

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

EDIT: Cavern and Snapcaster at 30, Lili at 60 and dropping. What a time to be alive.

All fetches under 40, the non-U/G ones as low as 20. And some of you doubted.

:unsmith:

Those prices are still way too much regardless of what they were before.

Casuals aren't paying that

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

Kinda sad, kinda happy. I can finally get my Lilis. But I don't care about Tarns or Rainforests at all, really, and had nearly everything else in the set with value. So my collection value got crushed. But life goes on.

Every time I feel like going "my collection value!" I tell myself that my cards are all but worthless until I'm trying to sell or trade them and I feel better.

PS sorry I never bought those Goyfs off of you :v:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Holy crap shut up. Casuals aren't playing fetches either, what's your point?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

Casuals don't care about Goyf and fetches anyways

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

C-Euro posted:

Every time I feel like going "my collection value!" I tell myself that my cards are all but worthless until I'm trying to sell or trade them and I feel better.

PS sorry I never bought those Goyfs off of you :v:

Meh, if I wanted to move em I would have. My main hope is that my FS Goyfs will retain slightly more value than all the new art/frame stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

suicidesteve posted:

Holy crap shut up. Casuals aren't playing fetches either, what's your point?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Casuals don't care about Goyf and fetches anyways

Sure they do, they play EDH more than competitive Modern/Legacy.

• Locked thread