Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I'm the CHP officer who knows he needs to GFTO but really wants to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The cop (trucker? Hard to tell) that was in the cab and got out right as the train hit the trailer probably needs new pants.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-Cb9x70gYQ

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Train Sim World is better looking then the previous railworks sims:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That reminds me, it's always amusing to CSX containers on NS Trailers on the road.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Mmm, I can smell my video card baking itself to death already.

Does it include a Smell-o-Matic for the full experience? Running a train just isn't the same if it isn't a call at oh-dark-thirty with a conductor who's fallen victim to Montezuma's Revenge and refuses to use the shitter in the second unit.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004

Tex Avery posted:

Mmm, I can smell my video card baking itself to death already.

Does it include a Smell-o-Matic for the full experience? Running a train just isn't the same if it isn't a call at oh-dark-thirty with a conductor who's fallen victim to Montezuma's Revenge and refuses to use the shitter in the second unit.

Use your imagination with these AI dudes that you ride along with:

Yes you can ride AI driven trains.

All those switches are switchable.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
tbf even newer generations locomotives have a billion switches you can throw. All of them result in loco not working or not working as well as it should.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Steam reviews seem to be fairly negative on the performance side, that's kind of disappointing. I saw Unreal Engine 4 and was hoping it might support VR.

I've played Derail Valley a few times and while it's just a limited tech demo it's pretty fun. Here's my first time playing, where unfortunately OBS took a poo poo and brought the game down with it right before I was about to connect up some cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx78OLYoKIQ

I'd be all about wasting a day in VR with a fully featured simulator.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Is TSW a whole new title, or is it like TrainSim 201x where I get the free update every year?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

iospace posted:

That reminds me, it's always amusing to CSX containers on NS Trailers on the road.

it depends on the market. some ns chassis are part of the the general chassis pool in some markets and, in others, they're a separate pool. in ny/nj, 53' chassis will run under any box. same with in jacksonville, fl and probably atlanta. few chassis are actually owned by railroads anymore. csx owns 0. bnsf owns 0. up owns some.

same thing with steamship lines. late 2000s, every steamship line had their own chassis for their boxes at all the ports and all the inland locations in the us. so a maersk box could only go on a maersk chassis and a med shipping box could only go on a med shipping chassis and a evergreen on an evergreen chassis, etc.. it was a nightmare for the terminal operators and expensive for the steamship lines to operate. so...most of them sold their chassis to chassis pools and then signed usage agreements with said pools. so now...med and maersk boxes go on dcli chassis. the chassis might be marked mscz or apmz but its part of the dcli pool. the usage also depends on the market(central ohio is different from new jersey or long beach) and how the carriers are aligned.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
"Come along"

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

NoWake posted:

"Come along"

:stonk:

If this isn't already in the OSHA thread it probably should be.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004

sandoz posted:

Is TSW a whole new title, or is it like TrainSim 201x where I get the free update every year?

It is a whole new engine. I can't recommend it as it feel more like a tech demo then train sim. There are serious FPS issues in addition to numerous bugs that people have reported in the Beta of it. It does look good and the detail is pretty cool. But the route is boring and there is no actual free roam or ability to edit consists. Also the throttle act like cruise control for each notch which doesn't feel right, also lol when you going down hill you lose speed and need to use throttle. Ya the physics and whole bunch of poo poo needs work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpqZS6bsQa0

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

NoWake posted:

"Come along"

I've only seen this used when moving a car with a bad knuckle around the yard at very low speed. I can't imagine allele would move it at mainline speeds like that any more than they absolutely had to.

Watch now, someone will come up with video of it being on a through freight or something at 60mph, probably on CSX.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tex Avery posted:

I've only seen this used when moving a car with a bad knuckle around the yard at very low speed. I can't imagine allele would move it at mainline speeds like that any more than they absolutely had to.

Watch now, someone will come up with video of it being on a through freight or something at 60mph, probably on CSX.

The presence of work tools/straps on the car indicates it's being moved after some sort of failure, and probably not that quickly because the stuff is just sitting there.

Could easily be on a main line, though, things don't usually break in convenient places.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Live now: Amtrak derailment just outside Chicago's Union Station, no injuries:

https://www.facebook.com/abc7chicago/videos/10155374178856162/

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Here's something out of left field:

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2017/03/27-ferromex-negotiating-deal-to-acquire-florida-east-coast-railway

vains
May 26, 2004

they've been for sale for 6 months so its not that wild.

neither of the east coast roads would get too much out of it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

they've been for sale for 6 months so its not that wild.

neither of the east coast roads would get too much out of it.

I could see NS buying them out, that's because of CSX having the west coast of the state.

vains
May 26, 2004

iospace posted:

I could see NS buying them out, that's because of CSX having the west coast of the state.

yeah, but to what end? 350mi of linehaul revenue to miami? there isnt a lot of northbound traffic in florida, they dont make much there. just oranges and rock/sand. fertilizer maybe. the freight is mostly 1 way. its easier, and probably cheaper, to just let the fec handle it.

miami is never going to be a major container port for discretionary cargo(i.e. stuff not for local consumption) until jacksonville, savannah, charleston, portsmourth, baltimore and the gulf coast ports fill up. cheaper to run up the coast to jax or savannah and discharge there or discharge on the gulf for the midwest. likewise for autos, either in or out.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Wow, I hope this catches on the other railroads
http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/freight/class-i/precision-railroading-with-a-humane-face.html?channel=50

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Treating your employees decently? Bah, it'll never work. How on Earth can we maximize profit AND treat employees like humans?

I really hope it catches on too

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Rotary snow plow freshly operated in the Sierras
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5ce_1490085967

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

my fav part of the comments was the enthusiastic reply from someone in germany about murdering jewish people with that

the internet sucks

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Have you ever been bored?

Have you ever wanted to weaponise your boredom?

Now you can! For a grand total of zero American dollars, you can download and play MaSzyna, a lovingly-crafted simulator of running EU07, SM42, EP09 and EN57 electric train engines all over garbage Polish rails. Don't miss your once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see just how a Communist-era legacy engine looks like from the inside!

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Tevery Best posted:

Don't miss your once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see just how a Communist-era legacy engine looks like from the inside!

:catstare:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

I had to google it but

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Well you see, Polish railroads were so bad in the communist era that the engineer had to steer the train to keep it from falling off the tracks.

It took a great deal of skill and concentration and they still only got it right about 70% of the time.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Well you see, Polish railroads were so bad in the communist era that the engineer had to steer the train to keep it from falling off the tracks.

It took a great deal of skill and concentration and they still only got it right about 70% of the time.
No, you misunderstand, that's for multi-track drifting.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Tevery Best posted:

Have you ever wanted to weaponise your boredom?
Thanks for the tip.

If you're unironically into games like these, come join us in the niche sims thread.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Can you add some commentary, since I am bad with trains and I don't know what is catstareworthy?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Tevery Best posted:

Can you add some commentary, since I am bad with trains and I don't know what is catstareworthy?

The steering wheel for the train is upside down

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Is that the throttle or did they take the British "railbus" concept too literally?

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Please tell me pressing the middle blows the horn. :allears:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Finnish locomotives, at least the older ones, have a wheel for a throttle too. I thought I had a pic but instead I found this one.

The switches are labeled:
SAND HEATING
COFFEE HEATING
BACKUP

I dunno what exactly the backup switch does but I choose to believe it's a backup coffee heating system. (it might actually be a spare switch for whatever)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Theris posted:

Is that the throttle or did they take the British "railbus" concept too literally?

I would have figured one of those handles on the right as the throttle, but if that's the case I have no idea what the steering wheel is for :stare:

Unfortunately I can't find out for myself because MaSzyna crashes instantly when I try to start it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
According to commentary on other forums, the wheel is for controlling the throttle. Brakes and forward / reverse controls are elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
It looks like they just stole the model of a steering wheel from a lorry and put it in the cab. The wheel throttle isn't all that uncommon, though. The two handles to the right would probably be the independent and automatic brakes.