Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

My Lamy 2000 is on its way! Expected tuesday but with the loving snowstorm hitting us I'll be lucky if I get it this week. Shipping my Kaweco this morning.

I am having second toughts on the Wagyu notebook! It's still not here for starters so I am using another one and at this point kinda dread having to copy everything over.. So I do have another use in mind for a notebook. I run my own private catering business and would love to document all my work in there. So I might end up using my new notebook for that and keep using the one already started or find another nicer notebook RIGHT now and get to copying over what's existent.

The misumi(sp?) notebook must of been in customs for 2 weeks now. Still no signs. Canada Post won't track it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

If it doesn't show up soon write to me. I'll send you another and claim the loss from insurance.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Kessel posted:

If it doesn't show up soon write to me. I'll send you another and claim the loss from insurance.

I'm sure it's held by customs don't stress. But don't worry until it gets here I'll drop in from time to time to cry about it. You'll get a chance to make it right but really I bet I'll get it soon. It's not unheard of for these fuckers to hold on to a packages for months.

As a substitute for the Beef log I could use this (got this in a horror box) which would make it as morbid and bloody as it can be I guess.

Still need to test it I have no idea how it would take fountain pen inks. Possibly really badly. I am going out this morning appointment, send the kaweco and I'll stop by a arts store and look at there notebook selection. I know I won't find anything like the Musubi but what can I do? I'd order another one for this project but I'm not waiting another lifetime.

And Kessel I put zero blame on you and 100% on Canada Post. It's not your fault I have two projects and no notebooks ha ha.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 14, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
For nibs, if I want a calligraphy nib so my writing looks super cool, but I want the thin parts of my strokes to be super thin, should I avoid a broader calligraphy nib or do they all get that thin on the backstroke or whatever?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

signalnoise posted:

For nibs, if I want a calligraphy nib so my writing looks super cool, but I want the thin parts of my strokes to be super thin, should I avoid a broader calligraphy nib or do they all get that thin on the backstroke or whatever?

I have no firsthand experience with italics, but according to the old Goulet video I watched the other day, a sharp italic nib will provide you with slightly better line variation than the more popular rounded-off kind, if that's what's most important to you.

Although I'm guessing any ol' italic will do the thing you're trying to do well enough.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!

signalnoise posted:

The thin stroke is going to be pretty much the same between stub nib sizes (I have a 1.1 and 1.5 that I bought for practicing italics). Though the 1.5 is probably a bit thicker because more ink would have been used. The big difference is is on the thicker strokes obviously, which makes it much easier to see if you are holding the pen in the correct angle. I've been practicing using https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1626540381/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I started with the 1.1 and it was hard for my novice eye to tell the difference, so I switched to the 1.5 and it was much easier to see if I was writing correctly. I've worked through almost nearly half the book and the most important things are holding the pen in the correct angle and memorizing strokes, it's actually pretty tough but once it starts coming together you should still see the cool line variation even with a smaller stub.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

signalnoise posted:

This is very much dependent on how the nib is ground. Nibs labelled as stubs will often have a somewhat broader cross stroke compared to true calligraphy nibs as it makes the pen feel smoother. Since you already have a Lamy Logo it's cheap enough to try a 1.1 or 1.5mm Lamy callgraphy nib to see if you like it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

tater_salad posted:

I'm thinking I need an inexpensive demonstrator that will work okay with diamine shimmering inks..

Are the shimmering inks of the same quality as their others? I can only use my big rear end bottle of blue in one or two pens, it doesn't feed well in anything else.

Buller? Buller?

My GF needs gift ideas and this is one of the top ones I have.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I've been using shimmer inks in my TWSBI pens and they're doing just fine, including Shimmertastic in an Eco.

re: pen, have you considered a Pilot Parallel 1.5? If you write with the corners you get ultra teeny lines, but sidestrokes and downstrokes (and angles) give you infinite variation otherwise. 1.5mm is just on this side of sanity for regular everyday writing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

tater_salad posted:

Buller? Buller?

My GF needs gift ideas and this is one of the top ones I have.

Nemosine Singularity.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I've been using shimmer inks in my TWSBI pens and they're doing just fine, including Shimmertastic in an Eco.

re: pen, have you considered a Pilot Parallel 1.5? If you write with the corners you get ultra teeny lines, but sidestrokes and downstrokes (and angles) give you infinite variation otherwise. 1.5mm is just on this side of sanity for regular everyday writing.

hmm.. I'll take a look at the TWSBI pens then, like I said,I"d love a demonstrator for some of my cooler inks.

I dunno about a 1.5, I've got my first flex nib that I"m still learning how to use.. I think 1.5 might be a bit wide.. a Medium is wide enough for me.. my pilot F i love but it's a bit on the scratchy side.

edit how do their nibs run, I like my Medium sheaffer, and Jinhaos

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 14, 2017

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I recently got a TWSBI Eco in the 1.1mm stub. I really like it. It feels pretty reasonable for a broader nib - I'm able to use it for note taking pretty well.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

grack posted:

Nemosine Singularity.

I would strongly advise against the Singularity. My friend bought one and loved it so much that she bought a second one, which worked fine for all of a day before it began absolutely vomiting ink on everything to the point that it was unreadable. She got a replacement from Goulet, which did the same thing, although not as violently. Then the first one she bought cracked all around the barrel. They're all basically ruined now, and she hadn't had them more than a month or two.

Just spend ten minutes on the Reddit and count how many threads there are complaining of cracking and leaking from Nemosines. Some people swear by them, but their QC is absolutely miserable. I would just get an Eco, or eyedropper convert a Lamy Vista.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Heath posted:

I would strongly advise against the Singularity. My friend bought one and loved it so much that she bought a second one, which worked fine for all of a day before it began absolutely vomiting ink on everything to the point that it was unreadable. She got a replacement from Goulet, which did the same thing, although not as violently. Then the first one she bought cracked all around the barrel. They're all basically ruined now, and she hadn't had them more than a month or two.

Just spend ten minutes on the Reddit and count how many threads there are complaining of cracking and leaking from Nemosines. Some people swear by them, but their QC is absolutely miserable. I would just get an Eco, or eyedropper convert a Lamy Vista.

Wing Sung 698 is also a good option if you like Pilot nibs. It takes the same Pilot nibs in the Metropolitan, Plumix, etc. but it's a clear piston-filler with a cool locking mechanism.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I get to cross off a long desired pen from my list today.

It's so pretty :allears: Now to choose an ink.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got my Vanishing Point. I wrote a letter to my grandma with it. :3:

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Megabound posted:

I get to cross off a long desired pen from my list today.

It's so pretty :allears: Now to choose an ink.

What a nice pen! I want a pelikan so much it's almost a grail pen if there where such things for me. They're just so expensive I'm just not there yet ( paying 500$+ for a pen..).

Don't know if I am repeating myself but I am discovering as much asd I like the effect of flex nibs I do not enjoy using them at all. I have two noodler's and 2 fountainpenrevolution flex pens and so scratchy and tiresome.

Stubs are much better but my hand rolls and I keep getting skips and hard starts (but this should get better with time as I practice).

Not getting any packages since thuesday because we got a ton of loving snow ( 75ish cm here) with 100km/h winds everything stopped. Not sure nay carriers will be attempting deliveries of anything today...

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Iznogood posted:

What a nice pen! I want a pelikan so much it's almost a grail pen if there where such things for me. They're just so expensive I'm just not there yet ( paying 500$+ for a pen..).

I got it second hand never inked for a very good price, and in the broad nib size I wanted to boot, so I couldn't pass it up. Facebook groups are great for finds like that.

Iznogood posted:

Don't know if I am repeating myself but I am discovering as much asd I like the effect of flex nibs I do not enjoy using them at all. I have two noodler's and 2 fountainpenrevolution flex pens and so scratchy and tiresome.

I have an Ahab I don't use too. Modern flex pens aren't true flex pens, you need to go to calligraphy for that, but vintage flex can be a lot softer and easier to control. I still don't have any true flex pens, and they take skill, but the one's I've tried at meets are pretty wonderful.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Megabound posted:

I got it second hand never inked for a very good price, and in the broad nib size I wanted to boot, so I couldn't pass it up. Facebook groups are great for finds like that.

I have an Ahab I don't use too. Modern flex pens aren't true flex pens, you need to go to calligraphy for that, but vintage flex can be a lot softer and easier to control. I still don't have any true flex pens, and they take skill, but the one's I've tried at meets are pretty wonderful.

I'll have to look into facebook then. I have made fantastic transactions buying/selling rcs. I am in Canada tho so the local scene is not great from what I found last time I checked.

I'm also pretty much style finding out what I like. Used to love medium now prefer fine. Getting used to stubs but the smaller ones like my TWSBI diamond mini's 1mm vs my kaweco sport classic 1.5mm that feels like a big sharpy.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
TWSBI's stubs size much larger than comparable brands - their 1.1 stub is closer to a Lamy 1.5 stub for example.

I exclusively use italics and stubs and gave up trying to use off the shelf ones for the most part because the size variation between brands is pretty significant and the quality of the grind is usually not great. My Pilot Capless has a 0.9mm cursive italic nib and my Pelikan M205 has a 0.7mm crisp italic nib, both from Richard Binder before he retired and the difference between them and stock italic nibs is absolutely phenomenal .

Having said that, I just bought a Pilot Custom 743 with a stub nib and it's easily the nicest manufacturer-made stub/italic nib I've found yet so I guess the quality nibs come in at the higher price points. The FA nib was amazing and that might be my next purchase when I have the money to move up Pilot's Custom line.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

kim jong-illin posted:

TWSBI's stubs size much larger than comparable brands - their 1.1 stub is closer to a Lamy 1.5 stub for example.

I cannot compare with Lamy but my TWSBI's 1.1mm stub is much smaller then my Kaweco 1.5 and Parson's essential medium italic. The TWSBI is tiny compared to those.

Maybe I am doing something wrong? I'll try to post a comparison later.

edit: later came fast!

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 16, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Iznogood posted:

I cannot compare with Lamy but my TWSBI's 1.1mm stub is much smaller then my Kaweco 1.5 and Parson's essential medium italic. The TWSBI is tiny compared to those.

Maybe I am doing something wrong? I'll try to post a comparison later.

edit: later came fast!

Stubs will not give you as much line variation as true italics, just because of the way the nib is ground. What you're seeing is completely normal. Stub nibs round off the edges quite a bit for a smoother writing experience.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

grack posted:

Stubs will not give you as much line variation as true italics, just because of the way the nib is ground. What you're seeing is completely normal. Stub nibs round off the edges quite a bit for a smoother writing experience.

I must be confused but I was attempting to address the nib width comment. Not line variations. My Twsbi has a much narrower nib then the other two which is what I expected since it's smaller. But you (I think it was you) said Twsbi 1.1 is larger than normal. This is not my experience but I'm quite new to this.
Anyways I'm sure you're right I am just not getting it...

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Sorry, lemme try that again: Stub nibs round over the edges of the nib more than an italic. If you imagine the tipping on an italic to be a perfect square, a stub would be more like a broad oval. This generally means that less of the nib is touching the paper on downstrokes, leading to a narrower line.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

grack posted:

Sorry, lemme try that again: Stub nibs round over the edges of the nib more than an italic. If you imagine the tipping on an italic to be a perfect square, a stub would be more like a broad oval. This generally means that less of the nib is touching the paper on downstrokes, leading to a narrower line.

Ah! I knew that! ( stubs being rounder) But when you said the Twsbi is wide I kinda expected you meant it deposits a wide line too. Thanks for the explanation!

Looking like my Lamy 2000 should be here tomorrow. Canada Post is working today so who knows what I will get today. Good things I hope !

edit: Also my Kaweco has a 1.5mm stub and it deposits huge lines compared with the twsbi.

edit2: got 2 Baoer 388 but no notebook. Why would the customs hang on to it like that? I know they do that it's not unheard of for peoples to get packages after they spent 1-2 month in custom.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 16, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I don't know how I feel about this

I like the darker ink, but the iroshizuku ink writes better even with an EF nib. Argh

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

signalnoise posted:

I don't know how I feel about this

I like the darker ink, but the iroshizuku ink writes better even with an EF nib. Argh

I wish I could help you but ink/pen/tastes are so loving complicated. I've been l9osing sleep trying to come out with the best ink to use in my 2000 when it gets here.

Speaking of that I hear a lot about leaking or pooling should I avoid noodler's for the Lamy 2000? Would Diamine be better?

Best Bale said he's never had those problems so I guess I just need the perfect color for this pen...

I love that part but at the same time I hate how tedious it can be switching inks and papers. But it does give you a good overview of your new pen.

And when you do hit that perfect combo it's so rewarding and worth it.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Iznogood posted:

I wish I could help you but ink/pen/tastes are so loving complicated. I've been l9osing sleep trying to come out with the best ink to use in my 2000 when it gets here.

Speaking of that I hear a lot about leaking or pooling should I avoid noodler's for the Lamy 2000? Would Diamine be better?

Best Bale said he's never had those problems so I guess I just need the perfect color for this pen...

I love that part but at the same time I hate how tedious it can be switching inks and papers. But it does give you a good overview of your new pen.

And when you do hit that perfect combo it's so rewarding and worth it.

(She) ;)
Ive noticed that Lamys are definitely sensitive with ink and a "wetter" ink will cause nib creep. Doesn't hurt anything but I know some hate the aesthetic.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Speaking of inks, I have lately been wondering how colorful of an ink I could use and still have my pen be roughly professional... Maybe a very dark purple? I dunno.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

signalnoise posted:

Speaking of inks, I have lately been wondering how colorful of an ink I could use and still have my pen be roughly professional... Maybe a very dark purple? I dunno.

Poussiere de Lune or Bad Belted Kingfisher are good choices.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

best bale posted:

(She) ;)
Ive noticed that Lamys are definitely sensitive with ink and a "wetter" ink will cause nib creep. Doesn't hurt anything but I know some hate the aesthetic.

I knew I'd gently caress it up! I knew it! I kept wondering.. And just not asking. Sorry!

And thanks for the advice! So no Noodler's Eels inks in there ha ha!

I have Blue Upon the Plains of Abraham which is not runny AT ALL but also ultra permanent, chalky and yeah I'm afraid to condemn a pen to this color if I use it.

I'm f5ing ups it's not even funny. They usually pass quite late here i'm away from the big centers (well 40 min from montreal not very far).

Also internet has convinced me that on top of taxes I am looking at one or two 50$ "brokering" charges!! Hope not!! Ups sent the package twice thru brokering to clear customs. Internet says 50$ per pop. But internet also thinks the moon landing was fake so huh...

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

signalnoise posted:

I use brown (j herbin lie de the) or dark green (j herbin vert empire). They both add color without being over the top like my Oster orange that I use for personal notes.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I haven't bought a new pen or ink in a while. I've been writing more and more at work and could justify a fancier purchase. Anybody got anything you really like that would fall in a range maybe somewhere between my TWSBI and my Falcon?

Also I'm in the market for a pretty saturated bluish violet. I've been using hexcode #420DAD (god help me) in a project and I'm pretty partial to it. Any suggestions?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I appreciate that "weed dad" is a hex code

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Yo stationer pass me a bottle of that juicy J. Herbin La Herbe Papa

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

And the mailman comes and goes laughing at the poor guy in his window hoping for his fancy notebook.

I'll resume f5ing UPS and watching reviews of lammy 2000s to hype myself up.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Iznogood posted:

And the mailman comes and goes laughing at the poor guy in his window hoping for his fancy notebook.

I'll resume f5ing UPS and watching reviews of lammy 2000s to hype myself up.

If it still doesn't show up soon write me. I took in (and shipped out) a buttload of diaries today and we have spares of the tonbo mushoku you ordered ready to go. If I EMS it to you it can arrive in three days. Will cost a bomb but what the hell, you've waited long enough.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Kessel posted:

If it still doesn't show up soon write me. I took in (and shipped out) a buttload of diaries today and we have spares of the tonbo mushoku you ordered ready to go. If I EMS it to you it can arrive in three days. Will cost a bomb but what the hell, you've waited long enough.

Man I'd feel so bad if it came to that. I'll let you decide when is soon and if it's not here I'll tell you. I hate it because I'm just about to take another notebook for the second project I had for yours ( since I just started doing the wagyu book in another nice one). But it's not your fault and this is for a good cause (your staff) so yeah. DO whatever you want whenever but don't feel pressured into it. And thanks for the support!

But I will say that if you where to send me a notebook ultra fast it would become my notebook for my catering business. Still, zero pressure.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Iznogood posted:

Man I'd feel so bad if it came to that. I'll let you decide when is soon and if it's not here I'll tell you. I hate it because I'm just about to take another notebook for the second project I had for yours ( since I just started doing the wagyu book in another nice one). But it's not your fault and this is for a good cause (your staff) so yeah. DO whatever you want whenever but don't feel pressured into it. And thanks for the support!

But I will say that if you where to send me a notebook ultra fast it would become my notebook for my catering business. Still, zero pressure.

gently caress it. Your replacement diary will ship tomorrow. I've already filed a formal dispute with the post office - let them go sort it out with Canada Post.

This sort of thing is really frustrating for my artisans and I because we're pretty obsessive about our work and to watch it burn at the last mile because of incompetent postal handling is something else. The people who buy our stuff and support the work of the physically disabled shouldn't have to put up with this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Kessel posted:

gently caress it. Your replacement diary will ship tomorrow. I've already filed a formal dispute with the post office - let them go sort it out with Canada Post.

This sort of thing is really frustrating for my artisans and I because we're pretty obsessive about our work and to watch it burn at the last mile because of incompetent postal handling is something else. The people who buy our stuff and support the work of the physically disabled shouldn't have to put up with this poo poo.

Wow. Hey thanks! And well as long as you guy's don't feel ripped off by me it's all good. Looking forward to my notebook!!

Thanks a ton and I'll be sure to drop a review everywhere I can.

My Lamy 2000 is still not on the truck!! But they must have quite the load. I know sometimes trucks leaves as late as 4pm to deliver so I still think I'll get it. Tracking says today.
Cannot wait to see how much I am charged too..