Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Yellow Jesus posted:

Any recommendations for Munich? Spending the weekend there and we want to try some traditional bavarian food for atleast one meal and are open for anything for the others

If it's not too late:
- Weißes Bräuhaus near Marienplatz for genuine good Bavarian food, call and reserve a table though.
Other than that:
- Pussers New York Bar in Falkenturmstraße for Cocktails.
- In terms of Beer Augustiner or Tegernseer are best, stay away from Hacker, Löwenbrau or Spaten, they are not bad but they are the German equivalent of Bud and Coors and other run of the mill beers.
- If you want a really good doner kebab, you want to go to Türkitch at Ubahn stop Kolumbusplatz (U1 or U2), they have a range of options (meat, haloumni cheese, falafel, suczuk or köfte kebabs) and serve the best döner in town. I recommend the haloumi dürum.
- If the weather is nice, go to the beergarden at chinesischer Turm in Englischer Garten, it is a typical beergarden
- Takumi in Schleißheimerstr. (U2 stop Theresienstraße) is run by Japanese crew and has great Ramen, not cheap but a 12€ bowl will fill you up
- Ruff's Burgers at Rindermarkt (near Marienplatz) has some of the best Burgers in town if you need a quick bite while downtown
- Meyerbeer, also at Rindermarkt opposite Ruff's, is a coffee place that has better coffee and is less pretentious than Starbucks
- La Trattoria in Aidenbachstraße is a bit outside of downtown but a really good Italian place with decent prices, a favourite of my parents
- Check out Viktualienmarkt, there are a lot of stalls that offer snacks on the go of you are hungry while in town and it is only a short distance from Marienplatz (town centre)

Edit: Feel free to PM me if you have questions, I am not an expert on upscale dining but this is my hometown, I may be able to give you some tipps. And if I am in town and you are up for it, I may be able the show you around downtown, i have done it for goons before.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
anything particularly good in Baltimore?

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Kanine posted:

Hit up the Baltimore Thread!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Kanine posted:

My sister lives in Fells Point which has some good stuff. If you go on Thames St right by the water there's a few places, and Johnny Rad's which is a little further from the harbor. Snake Hill off of Eastern Ave just east of that big park is also really good.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Recommendations for the Seattle area? Doesn't have to be within Seattle itself. Only thing is that I dislike seafood.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Kanine posted:

Make sure you try Faidley's crabcakes. Life-changing crabcakes, so good they referred to them twice on The Wire. It's at the Lexington Market, which is worth a visit anyway.
http://lexingtonmarket.com/vendors/
http://www.faidleyscrabcakes.com/

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Recommendations for the Seattle area? Doesn't have to be within Seattle itself. Only thing is that I dislike seafood.

I'm not from Seattle -- in fact I've only ever been twice. But it's my favorite city I've ever been to, and food was a large part of that.

I had one of the best meals of my life at Toulouse Petit. If you go early for happy hour, it's one of the best deals in Seattle, or anywhere:
http://toulousepetit.com/

If you prefer a dive, the 5-Point Cafe is a fantastic 24-hour diner/bar. I live in Florida, which counts as the South, and I had the best chicken and waffles of my life at that place.
http://the5pointcafe.com/

Also, you have to go to Pike Place Market. Don't worry about the guys throwing the fish if you don't like seafood, as it's one of the best culinary destinations in the country, no matter what you like or dislike.
http://pikeplacemarket.org/

Check out DeLaurenti Italian Specialties at the Market, and make sure you sample some products from Salumi, Mario Batali's father's famous salumeria:
http://www.delaurenti.com/

Piroshky Piroshki Bakery at the Market is also awesome, for sweet or savory treats:
https://www.piroshkybakery.com/menu.php

And you have to go to Beecher's Cheese. Try the Flagship mac and cheese, and bring home some squeaky cheese curds:
http://www.beechershandmadecheese.com/Locations/Seattle.aspx

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kanine posted:

Depends on where you are in the city. Southeast side, hit up G&A Restaurant and Chicken Rico.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Make sure you try Faidley's crabcakes. Life-changing crabcakes, so good they referred to them twice on The Wire. It's at the Lexington Market, which is worth a visit anyway.
http://lexingtonmarket.com/vendors/
http://www.faidleyscrabcakes.com/

I'm not from Seattle -- in fact I've only ever been twice. But it's my favorite city I've ever been to, and food was a large part of that.

I had one of the best meals of my life at Toulouse Petit. If you go early for happy hour, it's one of the best deals in Seattle, or anywhere:
http://toulousepetit.com/

If you prefer a dive, the 5-Point Cafe is a fantastic 24-hour diner/bar. I live in Florida, which counts as the South, and I had the best chicken and waffles of my life at that place.
http://the5pointcafe.com/

Also, you have to go to Pike Place Market. Don't worry about the guys throwing the fish if you don't like seafood, as it's one of the best culinary destinations in the country, no matter what you like or dislike.
http://pikeplacemarket.org/

Check out DeLaurenti Italian Specialties at the Market, and make sure you sample some products from Salumi, Mario Batali's father's famous salumeria:
http://www.delaurenti.com/

Piroshky Piroshki Bakery at the Market is also awesome, for sweet or savory treats:
https://www.piroshkybakery.com/menu.php

And you have to go to Beecher's Cheese. Try the Flagship mac and cheese, and bring home some squeaky cheese curds:
http://www.beechershandmadecheese.com/Locations/Seattle.aspx

Thanks a lot.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Looking for spots in Charleston, SC and Savannah GA. Never been to Charleston, and the one time I was in Savannah I ate at Paula Deen's restaurant (disappointed - the chicken pot pie I ended up with was ok, but I was really jonesing for some chicken fried steak which wasn't on the menu) and at the restaurant next to the hotel I was staying at (Mansion on Forsythe Park - I had probably the best piece of white fish I've ever eaten).

TIA

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

I'm gong to be in Toronto for the weekend. Anything in particular that I should scope?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Postmaster GBS posted:

I'm gong to be in Toronto for the weekend. Anything in particular that I should scope?

Caplansky's Deli at 356 College St was nice. Hungary Thai was great, but it long since closed, I hear. :smith:

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Appreciate that lightning recommendation. Thank you

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Postmaster GBS posted:

Appreciate that lightning recommendation. Thank you

No problem! Also, I think you should be able to ask at the Toronto thread over in LAN.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Good thinking, thank you!

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I'm going to be in Rome for fun and Palermo for work. What are some good places to go for solo meals? In Rome I'll be staying near the Vatican and in Palermo I'll be at the shipyard north of town. Bonus points for stuff that's not usually available at Italian restaurants in the US. Do I really want to eat horse grilled on the sidewalk like Bourdain did?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

LongSack posted:

Looking for spots in Charleston, SC

Go to Husk

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
There are a lot of good restaurants in Charleston. Broad Street is where you go if you want to dress up for a meal at a restaurant in a building that's 400 years old. King Street is where you go for more casual fancy places. Other parts of town are where you go to be surprised at how good the food at some random neighborhood place can be.

Husk: Order anything that uses some weird heritage ingredient the chef rediscovered in the ruins of an old plantation house. Make a reservation yesterday or go for lunch.
FIG: Sort of like Husk but without the old-timey ingredients. Probably started the current restaurant boom in the city.
The Macintosh: Same idea, but on King Street.
Poogan's Porch: Your grandparents' favorite restaurant. Honestly, it's not particularly exciting if you're already familiar with traditional Lowcountry dishes.
Closed for Business: Where you can get a beer while waiting for a table at one of the other restaurants on King Street.
Minero: Sean Brock's Mexican joint. I really enjoyed the grilled catfish plate. Also in Atlanta.
The Hominy Grill: A great place to get shrimp and grits for breakfast.
Mercantile & Mash and The Daily: Open all day but I've only been for breakfast. Good places to get an expensive cappuccino and something involving ham.
Leon's: Fried oysters, fried chicken and beer (not fried).
Glass Onion: A much more casual version of the places you find in Charleston proper. Consider stopping for dinner on the way back from the beach.

Savannah is a lot less exciting. People who're trying to make it as big-name chefs go to Atlanta or Charleston instead and the fancier places tend to be unreasonably expensive. I think my favorite thing I ate there was a sandwich at Sandfly BBQ. The Collins Quarter is a decent place for Australian-ish breakfast (I had a bad meal at B. Matthews but other people say it's great). The Crystal Beer Parlor is a reliable source of burgers and beer. I liked it more than The Distillery. Mrs Wilkes probably does live up to its reputation but I've never felt like standing in line for an hour for lunch was a good use of my vacation. Even on a weekday in February there'll be a line that goes most of the way down the block. Don't eat anything on River Street.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Nana's Seafood and Soul looks amazing in Charleston and was on vacation when I went. :cry:

There is also now a Rodney Scott's BBQ in Charleston and his original place in Hemingway is my favorite pork barbecue.

McCrady's Tavern is another Sean Brock place that was quite good (though I must say, Minero was good but not mind blowing).

If you want to do the seafood tower thing, there are lots of options, the one at the Ordinary was good and the seafood chowder there was super good as well.

The Rarebit for drinks and later night snacks.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Thanks!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Postmaster GBS posted:

Banh Mi Boys, Caplansky's.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

lavaca posted:

I'm going to be in Rome for fun and Palermo for work. What are some good places to go for solo meals? In Rome I'll be staying near the Vatican and in Palermo I'll be at the shipyard north of town. Bonus points for stuff that's not usually available at Italian restaurants in the US. Do I really want to eat horse grilled on the sidewalk like Bourdain did?

I never found bad food in Rome. Around the Vatican there's a lot of touristy stuff, but even it is pretty tasty. This time of year it's already going to start being hot, so plan accordingly - nuclear hot arancini from a little storefront aren't as good when you're sweating and want to go chill in a bar. Roman pizza is good and unique,.

The thing is, Rome, like other places in Italy, is crazy about vegetables. The locals eat bread products, vegetables, and a little bit of meat (more and more meat these days, though), and so the good restaurants will be those emphasizing whatever vegetables are currently in season - just read the menu before you go in. It's full on artichoke season there right now, so look for places with a lot of those dishes - alla guida is like this crazy super good deep fried artichoke thing you have to try. It's also getting to be time for asparagus, so look for that, and early zucchinis are also out.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Mr. Wiggles posted:

alla guida is like this crazy super good deep fried artichoke thing you have to try

"Alla giudìa" or "alla giudea", i.e. "Jewish style", as they are a traditional dish from the ghetto of Rome :eng101:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i saw a few mentions for Austin on the last page but any other suggestions? staying on the south side and have a rental car

generally avoiding anything that is more bar than restaurant and I really want to try franklin's bbq but i'm not sold on standing in line for 4 hours so good BBQ suggestions are appreciated

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BraveUlysses posted:

i saw a few mentions for Austin on the last page but any other suggestions? staying on the south side and have a rental car

generally avoiding anything that is more bar than restaurant and I really want to try franklin's bbq but i'm not sold on standing in line for 4 hours so good BBQ suggestions are appreciated

Seconding this.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

Mickelthwaite is a generally tossed about alternative. I've enjoyed Freedman's as well.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ben Nevis posted:

I've enjoyed Freedman's as well.

I ate at Freedman's once. They do BBQ-type food using, for lack of a better term, fancier ingredients. It was...... okay, but it's not really a place I'd look forward to going to again.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Mickelthwaite is really good. Like, 80% as good as Franklin, with some other unique options as well.

Don't think of it as "standing in line for 4 hours for Franklin", think of it as "having a great excuse to start drinking beer at 8am in a place where nobody will judge you." 4 hours is probably about right though on a Wed/Thurs with UT in session.They have some camp chairs there for use, but sometimes run out, so if you want to be safe, either get there early, or just stop by a sporting goods store/Walmart and buy an $8 chair yourself. If you feel like doing it, it really is worth it and every bit as good as people say. It is without question the best brisket (and best pork ribs, surprisingly) that I have ever had, quite possibly my favorite thing to eat, full stop. Heading back next week for trip #6.

Beyond that, La Barbecue is about 90% as good, and only about a 90 minute wait. I heard that Terry Black's Austin location finally got its poo poo together and is great now, but I haven't been back yet.

Stiles Switch is better than Rudy's, but not as good as the rest. Still good though.

If someone tries to convince you to go to The Salt Lick, they are not your friend, sever all ties with them. Their BBQ is below mediocre, and only get recommended because the atmosphere is neat, and it's all you can eat.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

If someone tries to convince you to go to The Salt Lick, they are not your friend, sever all ties with them. Their BBQ is below mediocre, and only get recommended because the atmosphere is neat, and it's all you can eat.

The Salt Lick definitely looks cool and the huge gently caress-off pit is neat, but yeah, I've heard pretty mehhh things about the food. I've only ever flown into Austin to drive about 1.5 hours west of there sadly. We did eat at some interesting Mexican restaurant/outdoor concert venue on the outskirts of town that was pretty decent though. I have no goddamn idea what it was called though.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Any good recommendations for Paris?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nephzinho posted:

Any good recommendations for Paris?

First of all, there's the old fashioned just walk around in the morning and choose random patisseries and boulangeries to get your breakfast from, same for lunch/dinner and restauranrs, near Châtelet especially.

If you're looking for something perhaps a bit over-the-top nerdy, there's The Bar at the End of the World.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Doom Rooster posted:

Mickelthwaite is really good. Like, 80% as good as Franklin, with some other unique options as well.

Don't think of it as "standing in line for 4 hours for Franklin", think of it as "having a great excuse to start drinking beer at 8am in a place where nobody will judge you." 4 hours is probably about right though on a Wed/Thurs with UT in session.They have some camp chairs there for use, but sometimes run out, so if you want to be safe, either get there early, or just stop by a sporting goods store/Walmart and buy an $8 chair yourself. If you feel like doing it, it really is worth it and every bit as good as people say. It is without question the best brisket (and best pork ribs, surprisingly) that I have ever had, quite possibly my favorite thing to eat, full stop. Heading back next week for trip #6.

Beyond that, La Barbecue is about 90% as good, and only about a 90 minute wait. I heard that Terry Black's Austin location finally got its poo poo together and is great now, but I haven't been back yet.

Stiles Switch is better than Rudy's, but not as good as the rest. Still good though.

my wife is a recovered alcoholic so it's not just the wait, it's also about avoiding people drinking alcohol all around us

thanks for the other suggestions, i think la barbeque sounds good and maybe micklewhatever could be a good option too

salt lick is already on my shitlist after someone gave me a bottle of their lovely bbq sauce years ago

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

First of all, there's the old fashioned just walk around in the morning and choose random patisseries and boulangeries to get your breakfast from, same for lunch/dinner and restauranrs, near Châtelet especially.

If you're looking for something perhaps a bit over-the-top nerdy, there's The Bar at the End of the World.

That is the plan for breakfast and some lunches, but for this vacation we literally just have a spreadsheet of lunch and dinner picks. My fiance's family vacation itineraries are literally just a collection of menus and we plan what to do based on what is near/between the food and we currently have 3 open dinners in Paris to finish the trip "planning".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nephzinho posted:

That is the plan for breakfast and some lunches, but for this vacation we literally just have a spreadsheet of lunch and dinner picks. My fiance's family vacation itineraries are literally just a collection of menus and we plan what to do based on what is near/between the food and we currently have 3 open dinners in Paris to finish the trip "planning".

I would suggest going to Le dernier bar for dinner. It's got silly things on the menu like a 42" sandwich and such. And the ambiance is really over-the-top.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'd love some recommendations for pizza places in Austin. I used to love the Mellow Mushroom, until the one near me got bought out by Urban Outfitters and closed. :argh:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I'd love some recommendations for pizza places in Austin. I used to love the Mellow Mushroom, until the one near me got bought out by Urban Outfitters and closed. :argh:

I'm no help to you, but I may be visiting Austin in mid-July, and I'm looking for recommendations, ideally near the convention center area. I've already heard about waiting in line for Franklin's, and hopefully making a pilgrimage to Torchy's Tacos. I guess authentic Mexican, Tex-Mex, and barbecue would be my top priorities, since those are the local specialties.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I've heard from my friends that Conans pizza is really good, but I've never been there so :shrug:

BBQ wise I'd recommend Micklethwait and Freedmans if you want to skip the line at Franklins

For tacos you definitely want to hit up Tacodeli and El Chilito imo

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Conan's atmosphere, and employees are awesome. Their pizza is really, really terrible. Mangia is better if you are looking for pizza casserole. For normal American/NY style, you cannot beat Homeslice. It's awesome. If you are looking for fancy Neapolitan, Buffalina is amazing and the best place in town.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
If you want to splash out, Uchiko is amazing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm going to be in the Northern California Bay Area this weekend for a wedding, driving up Friday night and leaving Monday. What's good to eat with friends? Nothing over $50, got a grad student friend tagging along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

That's a large area, so you'll want to narrow it down some and we have our own thread.