Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Phantasium posted:

Going down to the grocery store to get some Gradios. Comes with option marshmallows.

nah man like moo, not like cheerios

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Charles Get-Out posted:

If it isn't from the sword then you should insist on grah-dee-oos if you're gonna insist on proper pronunciation.

You're probably right, but I don't think that even the Japanese voice cast in the Salamander OVA extend that last vowel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYQ25WVLHck&t=564s

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Star Man posted:

You're probably right, but I don't think that even the Japanese voice cast in the Salamander OVA extend that last vowel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYQ25WVLHck&t=564s

This is what I was getting at when I was saying the 'u' was the hardest part. I'm not saying it's a long vowel like ooze, I'm saying it doesn't sound like the 'u' in 'us' or 'gus' and that it's an 'u' sound we don't usually use.

I'm being real pedantic and I know that and I apologize, but your point that gradius is not easy is well taken :v:

edit: don't know why I didn't think of it before, but it's like the 'u' from uno

Nancy fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 16, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Star Man posted:

And they drat well call it the Lord British.

Not in the US:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Random Stranger posted:

Not in the US:

EDIT:

Star Man fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 16, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

The real real challenge is "Ryu".

Rye-you

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Code Jockey posted:

What the gently caress there's four ships? :aaa:

That's an image from Gradius Gaiden which has four ships. It might be the best game in the series, incidentally.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

(This one has really puzzled me ever since I understood what went wrong. It's miswritten in the original FDS version, too. You could just go down the hall and just ask him how he says his name! :psyduck: )

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm pretty sure that was just a nickname he used back then, I've seen a few Japanese magazines from the '80s where he introduces himself as Miyahon written in katakana.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm pretty sure that was just a nickname he used back then, I've seen a few Japanese magazines from the '80s where he introduces himself as Miyahon written in katakana.

That would explain it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Also might have something to do with some Japanese game companies of the time preventing developers from giving their actual names in the credits to try and fend off rival companies from poaching their talent; similar reasons are why Sonic the Hedgehog credits Yuji Naka as "YU2", Naoto Ohshima as "BigIsland", Hirokazu Yasuhara as "Carol Yas", etc. (though they snuck their names into the Japanese release if you hit a certain button code, which changes the "SONIC TEAM PRESENTS" screen to a white screen with their names written out in Japanese, before going to the title screen as normal, albeit with "PRESS START BUTTON" reappearing for some reason).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That's an image from Gradius Gaiden which has four ships. It might be the best game in the series, incidentally.

I feel like it is the best out of them all but my favorite is still Gradius IV.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

Also might have something to do with some Japanese game companies of the time preventing developers from giving their actual names in the credits to try and fend off rival companies from poaching their talent;

Except that's the equivalent of hiding their names by changing capitalization. "No, Joe Blow didn't make that game, it was joE bloW!"

Miyamoto's family name in Japanese is "宮本". In Japanese there's a lot of different ways to say those characters and especially with names alternative pronunciations get used. Two ways to say 本 are "hon" and "moto" with "hon" being the most commonly used one in regular language but "moto" being pretty common when it's used in names. So a Japanese company seeing "Miyahon" written in English will be able to understand that it's "宮本".

So the nickname explanation makes a lot of sense since it would be another way of reading his name.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Ofecks posted:

Likely next to nothing. It is known in the arcade scene that the Korean games are pretty bad, unfortunately. We all groan when something from Afega or SunA or Philiko comes up in BBH's MAME roulette. I actually like most of Dooyong's Z80 hardware shmups, but I seem to be alone in this opinion.

Dooly Bravo Land's not very good, but I actually think the NES games by the guys who went on to form Open Corp (Buzz & Waldog, Metal Force, Magic Kid Googoo) are really interesting, and are Almost Good. Googoo in particular has a really, really clever mechanic.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yesterday I was having a casual chat with a couple of newer friends about Zelda or something, and the conversation steered towards childhood systems. One of them grew up playing Saturn.

He says his favorite games were Bomberman and from piecing together hazy memories, one of the Panzer Dragoon games.

After picking up my jaw off the floor, I asked him if he still had those games. Apparnetly he does, boxed in the attic with a bunch of other Saturn games. He had absolutely no idea of the value of any of it was. So yeah, he's going to try and get to it soon. I'm excited for him and to hear or see what else he has. Fuckin attics man.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I need retro setups for a convention. What are my options in terms of bang for buck balancing emulation vs original hardware, monitor vs panel, upscaling, etc? How do I make this a proposition worth buying for 3 days a year?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

signalnoise posted:

I need retro setups for a convention. What are my options in terms of bang for buck balancing emulation vs original hardware, monitor vs panel, upscaling, etc? How do I make this a proposition worth buying for 3 days a year?

Raspberry pi, usb replica controllers, cheap LCD panel.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What are you looking to emulate?

Snap up OG wii's and mod them?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Oh, hey, if anyone is going to Midwest Gaming Classic this year I'll be doing the Retronauts panel with Jeremy, Bob and my friend Kevin who broke the Splatterhouse TG16 score record.

http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/

You can, like, come see it and stuff. :toot: April 7th-9th, effectively my belated birthday party too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'll be there. What day are you doing the talk?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'm looking to bring whatever people will want to play. I am not entirely sure what that is. If I could have my preference, it would be to have an emulation solution that I could lock down to a specific game, without being able to return to the main menu for the emulator without restarting the system. Whenever we put up a system and it has multiple games available on it, people always go back to main menu and leave it there, and main menu is a terrible attract mode.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'll be there. What day are you doing the talk?

Saturday, good sir. No set time yet, afternoon though. Meetup in evening likely.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

signalnoise posted:

If you're going to do emulation, buy or scrounge up some old desktops and laptops and hook them up to monitors. They should all be able to emulate things well, no compatibility worries and you'll have less issues than a pi or something. Remember that even those Raspberry Pis are $35 you still gotta buy keyboards, mice, controllers, power supplies etc for them, as well as decent size SD cards to hold your stuff, so it all adds up.

If you're going to be using original cartridges, then asking around if anyone who's going has the matching old consoles is really the cheapest way to go, similarly asking if anyone has some CRTs lying around to hook them up with. Offer them discounts or a partial refund on the ticket or whatever. Depending on where this is going to be, a local game shop or chain might offer rentals of old consoles and games for events, the Play N Trade stores usually offer this service for example.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 17, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Any suggestions for where to outright buy CRTs with built-in speakers, and suggestions for which games would be best for a public multiplayer environment?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Any suggestions for where to outright buy CRTs with built-in speakers, and suggestions for which games would be best for a public multiplayer environment?

Thrift stores are you best bet these days.

As for games, convention games need to be a mix of "I never get to play that!" well=known rarities and "Oh I love that!" well known stuff. For weird, rare stuff: a full Saturn Bomberman setup, networked Time Crisis, eight player Steel Battalion, Windjammers, a Taiko Drum Master setup. For better known stuff is easier to pick out but remember the rule: no Smash Bros. If you include Smash Bros of any variety, it will make you miserable.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 17, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

signalnoise posted:

Basically hit up craigslist for people getting rid of CRT TVs. In a convention floor environment where people just want to play some quick games the quality won't matter much so long as the TV still displays a decent picture.

Just checking my local craigslist, there's someone looking to give away a 36 inch Trintron to anyone willing to haul away a 250 pound TV, and a bunch of random 19 to 27 inch CRTs for $10-$20. (also someone selling a Sony TV they must have brought over from France for $200, since it's a dual standard SECAM/PAL set and European power only. that must have been a bitch to ship over to the states in the first place)

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Get off yo butt and check your local thrift stores pronto.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So romhacking.net is gonna be down for a while according to Nightcrawler (the owner).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Caitlin posted:

Get off yo butt and check your local thrift stores pronto.

I'm gonna rephrase without the budget part because we have 30k attendees so what I say is a slim budget may be more than what you guys think a slim budget is.

Looks like what I'll be doing is some kind of emulation, probably, because tech supporting a bunch of old stuff is going to be a pain in the rear end and require people with really specific skills. I have a bunch of Asus VX238H-P monitors, and I'm thinking about working with Hyperkin to get a bunch of stuff, and then legally speaking we need to have 1 actual copy of any game we put up for play. So what specific games for what specific systems would you love to play with people but have no opportunity to due to ~the modern era~? For right now I talked to my logistics people and we can buy CRTs later but this year we aren't expanding in terms of large pieces of equipment.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

signalnoise posted:

I wouldn't worry about original hardware unless you need specific controllers or are playing things that REQUIRE zero lag.

My setup at GDC this year had 4:3 LCDs I got used for $10 each at a junk shop and a combination of original hardware being scaled and crappy old laptops running DOSBox hidden under the table. If I didn't have specific hardware needs like I happened to this year, I'd probably do all laptops/Pi/whatever. When scaled correctly for your monitor, the only advantage hardware has over a really good emulator is input lag.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Note : If you're running any tournaments, especially fighting game tournaments, they WILL care about input lag.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Caitlin posted:

Note : If you're running any tournaments, especially fighting game tournaments, they WILL care about input lag.

We have this covered, been using those monitors for years. They are the ones they use at EVO so they're accepted.

4:3 LCD monitors sounds like a good way to go

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Not monitor lag. Emulator introduced lag.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Not monitor lag. Emulator introduced lag.

This. If you're doing a "serious business" retro tournament you basically have no choice but to use original hardware hooked up to a CRT with analog video of some kind, although it doesn't have to be full-blown RGB. Any system-on-a-chip, PC emulator, LCD or things of that sort will invariably introduce lag that will make tryhards really mad (for example, every Smash Bros. Melee tournament is run with a Gamecube on CRT's, as is pretty much everything at GDQ and the like), and it doesn't matter how "powerful" the PC is or even if you explicitly build it to be as low-lag as possible, it will still be laggier than the original system and noticeably problematic for "world tier" players (e.g. Caitlin is the WR score holder for Splatterhouse Arcade and has explicitly mentioned difficulty with playing it via emulators and can't get anything close to her record-setting score other than on an original arcade cab).

If this is your objective, your best bet is to just straight-up get original hardware, which should be feasible with the budget you're taking about, as should be some form of workable CRT and the games you legally need on-hand anyway. Your best bet will probably be to narrow your system options as much as possible, games, # of simultaneous players etc. We can definitely give you more specific advice if you can narrow down what sort of thing you're looking for.

A 10-player Saturn Bomberman setup could be fun times, although the game itself is expensive (like over $100) due to rarity unless you get the Japanese one; everything else is relatively cheap but may take time to source.

A Plan B which might be simpler is a 5-player TG16/PCE Bomberman setup, and if lag isn't an issue you can easily get it sorted out with a Wii as long as it has Gamecube ports.

univbee fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 17, 2017

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I don't wear video game related shirts a lot, but all that Keith Courage talk made me want to rep my NEC roots.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Random Stranger posted:

For better known stuff is easier to pick out but remember the rule: no Smash Bros. If you include Smash Bros of any variety, it will make you miserable.

Ha, why is this?

RadicalR posted:

So romhacking.net is gonna be down for a while according to Nightcrawler (the owner).

:( I use that site quite a lot, even if I'm not really playing or patching anything. Just good to know what's out there.

Nice. There's a guy who has done some amazing niche tees, including this one and this one. Too bad they were all extremely limited and sold out fast. I found somewhere else to buy a Toaplan shirt but I haven't looked for the others.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

RZA Encryption posted:

I don't wear video game related shirts a lot, but all that Keith Courage talk made me want to rep my NEC roots.

Poor Hudson. They pretty much made the TurboGrafx, but NEC gets all the credit/blame.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ofecks posted:

Ha, why is this?

It attracts a TON of people, who are generally horrible to be around.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

1CC shirts are cool and I have a few but they have a weird habit of adding Japanese kanji to logos that didn't originally have it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Also I was just doing a thrift store run and didn't find any good game stuff but did find a 120v adjustable bench power supply for $25, only 1 amp tho which is kinda weird. It's just gonna be a secondary to my current one for stuff like arcade boards that uses both 5 and 12v etc so whatev

• Locked thread