Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Today, my players went to fantasy India, smoked magic opium, passed a statute guard because it couldn't move, released Robin William's genie, started a dance party city wide to protest the Sha's anti-dance law, had the Sha and the ruling caste banished by the genie, made the statute the new Sha, and became headliners in a bollywood musical number about their heroism in freeing the land that followed them to the border. Then, they went back to fantasy China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
Two rival factions of wizards were meeting to negotiate bargaining in a game I run, with the PCs trying to mediate the conflict. One side showed up carrying rifles, which didn't really make them any more intimidating because wizards but which did violate the local laws on the matter. Gun-toting faction has a rule saying they aren't allowed to render themselves defenseless.

Cue the smug party face saying "Look, we all know you're armed even without your guns. You could prove it right now by punching me in the face and, hey, isn't this a face you'd love to punch?"

I am only marginally paraphrasing. "Wouldn't you like to punch this face?" is pretty close to the original statement.

The wizards took him at his word and he got punched so hard across the face it sent him to the floor. Negotiations open. He proceeded to spend the negotiations with the left side of his face growing increasingly dark and swollen.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In this morning's D&D 3e game my character was able to pull off a combo I'm very proud of:

I'm at the doorway of a room, and the Mage-type cultist is 40 feet away, with a 2-turn marker on it because the cultists are in the middle of a summoning ritual that we probably shouldn't let them complete. Between that enemy and myself are two more cultists that will be able to hit me with Attacks of Opportunity if I just try to run past them.

First off, my Flexible Spine graft, which I picked up during an unfortunate jaunt into Xoriat gives me a +4 to initiative. I also have the Improved Initiative feat on top of that for another +4, and I use my Chameleon class's Arcane spellcasting to cast Nerveskitter on myself for another +5. I end up rolling a 33 on initiative, and the next fastest character gets a 19.

The next thing I do is use my Factotum class's Cunning Surge ability to grant myself an extra Standard Action. I use this Standard Action to cast Haste on myself, increasing my base 30 feet move speed, to 60 feet.

Then, I use the Tumble skill so that I can move past the two cultists in between me and the Mage all the way in the back:

quote:

Tumble DC 15: Tumble at one-half speed as part of normal movement, provoking no attacks of opportunity while doing so. Failure means you provoke attacks of opportunity normally. Check separately for each opponent you move past, in the order in which you pass them (player’s choice of order in case of a tie). Each additional enemy after the first adds +2 to the Tumble DC.

Half my (hasted) speed is 30 feet, but I can add this other clause as well:

quote:

Accelerated Tumbling: You try to tumble past or through enemies more quickly than normal. By accepting a –10 penalty on your Tumble checks, you can move at your full speed instead of one-half your speed.

I have 13 ranks in Tumble, +4 from my Flexible Spine, and +7 Intelligence modifier. That last part is from Brains over Brawn, which is a Factotum ability that lets me add my Intelligence modifier to Strength checks, Dexterity checks, and any skill checks that use Strength or Dexterity as its key ability.

So I'm rolling [[d20+13+4+7-10]] versus a DC of 15 versus the first Cultist in my way, and a DC of 17 against the second Cultist in my way. I'm guaranteed to pass the first one, and I have a 10% chance of failing the second one. I pass both, and so end up tumbling 40 feet in one go to end up adjacent to the summoner cultist.

For my standard action, I make a Trip Attack against the Cultist. I have the Improved Trip feat, which lets me avoid provoking an Attack of Opportunity just by trying to Trip, and it gives a +4 to the opposed Strength check during a Trip attempt, and it gives me a free attack on anyone I manage to successfully trip.

The key bit here, though, is that Brains Over Brawn also applies to the opposed Strength check used when trying to trip, so even with a Strength of just 16, I'm still adding a +3 Strength modifier, a +7 Intelligence modifier, and the +4 bonus from Improved Trip. That's comparable, if not a little better, than what a Fighter-type of the same level would be able to manage going just straight Strength (and taking the feat).

The trip attack succeeds, the summoner falls on their face, I get my free attack in, and my buddy, Skurrg the Gnoll Warblade, manages to cross the distance in one go as well because he also got my haste, and we manage to stab him dead before the summoning ritual is completed.

My character's one weakness is his piss-poor saves - he's having to spend most of his meta-currency/reroll abilities on improving saving throws so that he doesn't get afflicted with all sorts of horrible bullshit.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

My character's one weakness is his piss-poor saves - he's having to spend most of his meta-currency/reroll abilities on improving saving throws so that he doesn't get afflicted with all sorts of horrible bullshit.

Which is solved by your noob divine caster realizing that Mass Conviction is actually 10 minutes/CL, not 1 minute/CL as he previously thought.

I've had that spell for months ...

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Yawgmoth posted:

Now they plan on going back to Undersharn to fight Cult Battle 3: Clerical Error. I can't want to see how they plan to make this one different :allears:

gradenko_2000 posted:

The trip attack succeeds, the summoner falls on their face, I get my free attack in, and my buddy, Skurrg the Gnoll Warblade, manages to cross the distance in one go as well because he also got my haste, and we manage to stab him dead before the summoning ritual is completed.

And that's how this one was made different--adding a giant beefy gnoll to the mix (it is me, I am the new guy)! After blitzing the poo poo out of the wizard + supporting cultists in two rounds, we decide to roll straight into the next room to keep the Haste+other buffs going. She was buffed and waiting for us, but unfortunately for her she was waiting just a little too close to the door--Jimmy was able to full attack trip her, and I blew Action Surge and Swift Recovery to Elder Mountain Hammer her twice in one turn, setting up for our Psion to finish her off on the first round. Basically I imagined her being all ready to be dramatic and everything when a pair of screaming guys with swords just burst through the door and lay down a cartoon-style curbstomping .

It was a good thing we didn't let her have more than one turn--between a shield that damaged the melee fighters to the tune of 20-30 damage every time we hit her, three strong tentacle whip attacks that do 10-20ish damage on a touch attack, and a spell that boosted her basically everything for every 10 damage she did to us, if we didn't finish it fast we probably weren't finishing it at all. It took some good luck on our part, but it all worked out. Now we've got a giant pile of conventional drugs (which we're probably going to offload to Daask), a Pain Pit and a bunch of Liquid Pain (which we have collectively agreed is Bad poo poo That We Are Not Going To Mess With), and an assortment of magic goodies. The plan is to kill everything else down here and bring in some reporters to completely kill public support for Dwarf Trump and Crazy Xoriat Cult.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So one Pit Fiend down, and our party is sucking on fumes HARD…but that had to be it, right? There couldn’t possibly be anything left for the GM to throw at us? We’d gone through a ton of our magical items, have nothing left in terms of healing, and our biggest hitter with the most HP is Bubbles the Water Elemental…

Which is when Cullus the Rogue hears a voice coming from behind the nearby set of double doors leading down to the Archdevil’s prison. He rolls his Listen check and the GM takes Cullus’ player to the other side of the store and tells him what he hears. The player comes running back up to the table and goes “OK, we have a problem. Tellisyn, one of your cousins is down there…and she’s got the Moonspeaker’s daughter…

The Moonspeaker being one of the primary leaders and holy figures of the Sidh.

…and they’re about to sacrifice her in order to force the Archdevil to breed another cousin.

Without a word, Falinrae, our Paladin, walks over to the doors, kicks them open (”They’re wrought iron double doors to a prison, can she do that?” “I’m a pissed off Sidh Paladin about to save a child’s life, what do YOU think the answer to that question is?”), and charges down the steps.

Indeed, it’s one of Tellisyn’s cousins, standing over a bound and gagged child with a sacrificial dagger. Bubbles rushes in as Ksena’s command, snatches up the child, and whisks her back to the other room. Cullus and Aeana grab two keys from Tellisyn and as our fastest movers rush out to get them in the locks and drop the Archdevil into the magma below while the rest of us take on the cousin. Now, one would think this cousin would be a tough fight, and indeed her first action is to stab Falinrae with a dagger that banishes him for a turn to send him spiraling downwards through the Nine Hells and then spiraling back up again to the tune of 64 points of psychic damage, but once she’s back we’re wiping the floor with the cousin. Just smacking her around with Falinrae and Tellisyn berating her for her poor life choices.

At which point she takes a whole turn and soaks the attacks of opportunity to run through our party and swan dive into the lava. As Tellisyn is berating her for taking the cowards way out and not meeting her death like a true warrior…

…this comes flying up over the ledge.

The GM just smirks. “True Polymorph, 9th level spell. You guys always fight evil dragons, let’s see how you do against a good one.”

Put simply it’s our turn to get our rear end kicked. Cullus and Aeana are in the middle of finding out that all four keys need to be turned at the same time AFTER being put into specific locks while the dragon is breath weaponing and raking and pretty much knocking nearly everyone down to zero hit points. Even when Varis manages to teleport to the center platform in an effort to spread the part out some, she smacks him with her tail and almost sends him off the platform.

Thankfully, at one point the Archdevil manages to “breathe” on everyone, casting a cone-shaped Heal spell and giving us back 70 HP each. The “spell” is a nice little cone of black-and-red energy that washes over everyone. “OK, you all get 70 HP back and feel a little greasy and dirty in the process…except for Varis. It actually feels like a nice spring day to you.” “Wait, what?”

By the end, we’re running on fumes, Ksena has the most HP out of all of us with 27 points…and the cousin-dragon still has triple hit points. “It’s a True Polymorph spell,” Tellisyn says. “That means we can Dispel Magic. Aeana, you have Dispel Magic, right?”

“No, I’m out of spell slots.”

“Varis?”

“I’m out of spell slots…but I can cast it through my staff from Abeforth’s.”

“…do it.”

So I take a deep breath, Skeever throws in his inspiration to let me roll with advantage…

Simply put, the place went nuts.

(simulation of Cullus’ player’s reaction as he sits right next to me)

The cousin is back down to the single-digit hit points that she had when she cast the spell, and it’s an easy matter for Tellisyn to skewer her with her spear, bring her up and overhead, and slams her on the platform in front of the Archdevil.

We work quickly, since we don’t know what ELSE the GM is planning to throw at us. The four keys need to be place according to the seasons (ruby/summer, blue/autumn, diamond/winter, emerald/spring) and turned at the exact same time. The Archdevil is all but screaming at us to get this done, as he’s been trapped on the Prime Material Plane for over 1000 years and has work to do back in the Nine Hells. We turn the keys, hop back to the ledge, and watch with satisfaction as the platform slowly begins to lower. The Archdevil is thanking us and let us know that if our souls ever find themselves in the Nine Hells, he’ll speak on their behalf.

“He’s finally going home.”

We all turn to see the small child peeking around the corner at the descending devil. “All he did was yell and complain.”

“Wait. Where’s Bubbles? Wasn’t he watching you?”

The child smiles. ”I banished him as soon as we were out of sight. You were so busy with my daughter that you didn’t feel him leave this plane of existance.”

And we all watch with dawning, abject horror at the small child shapeshifts and turns back into her natural form.

Of Tellisyn’s Grandmother.

”I must thank you,” she said as she watched the Archdevil descend. “I’ve been waiting a very, very long time for his physical body to be destroyed so he could be sent back to the Nine Hells.”

”If you wanted him to go home so badly, why didn’t YOU kill him?”

”Oh, I needed YOU to do a lot of work for me. Killing the black dragon in the swamps? His mentor had been old enough to know the truth. I needed you to go to the Conclave to remind and inform the gods about Az, although I will admit you surprised me by preventing a holy war. I needed you to go to Catra’Zal and cast doubt into the faith of the High Priest of Catira as well as go to Ancellyon and see to it with the armies of the Ancellyn were destroyed, as Catira is the Goddess I hate the most. Oh, and I needed you to destroy the Archdevil’s body because…well, that was just the final nail in the coffin. Do you know the name of this Archdevil?”

“Yes. Koeth.”

“And do you know WHO Koeth is? He was the first general of the Nine Hells to lead the charge against Az’s forces.”

By this point, the Archdevil has hit the magma and is beginning to disintegrate in flashes and tears of orange and red. And in the air surrounding the platform, three angels appear…angels Tellisyn recognizes as Angels of the Burning Host. The Angels who are the heralds to the end of all reality.

“When Az was bound by the gods for allying with the demons against the devils…well, what better prison for Az than for the body of the first person to stand against him?”

And we as watch, realizing what we’d just done, Koeth’s body explodes in a flash of light – white, holy, beautiful, intense. It’s the most horrifying thing our party has ever seen. The Angels of the Burning Host blow their trumpets and proclaim with one voice…

”AZ HAS RETURNED! BASK IN HIS GLORY!”

And in a very quiet voice, Grandmother says…

”This is where you run.”

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

motherfuck :stonk:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

CobiWann posted:

”This is where you run.”

:sbahj:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

CobiWann posted:

”This is where you run.”
:agreed:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CobiWann posted:

”This is where you run.”

:suspense:
We need a version of that emote that expands until it collapses into itself before starting again so that I can properly express the magnitude of "Holy what the fuckery" I'm experiencing.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Funny you say “holy what the fuckery…”

We can’t run. We’re paralyzed with fear as an ANGEL appears before us. And I’m not talking two wings and a halo, or one wing and a huge gently caress-off sword. It’s just a being of pure white light, humming with power, surrounded by three Angels of the Burning Host singing about the end of the world, and Tellisyn’s Grandmother laughing all the while at just how SCREWED we are.

As Az reaches towards the ledge for us, a figure appears in the air between him and us. A figure clad in leather armor, with wings of green leaves and a crown of thorns, clutching a spear. It’s Tulani, the Great Muse, God of the Forest, revered by all Sidh. Not a manifestation. Not an avatar. Tulani HIMSELF. Who turns and roars at Falinrae, “TAKE AEANA AND RUN! I’LL HOLD HIM OFF!”

Falinrae, for who Tulani is his patron saint and source of his Paladin power, does exactly that. He grabs Aeana and shifts into the Ethereal Plane, leaving us to run out of a temple that is, of course, suddenly collapsing. Tellisyn gets hit on the head with a piece of rubble and gets knocked out, so Varis grabs her and Dimension Doors back to the surface, leaving Skeever, Ksena, and Cullus to run and climb out of the temple as it falls around them. Of course, Skeever and Cullus both get knocked out and it’s Ksena with her 10 Strength that drags them back to the surface for them to get back on their feet.

Moment of levity – I mentioned that we used the Immovable Rod to block the temple doors, and that there was a Rudderkin who has been trying desperately to budge the drat thing without having any luck. The DM ruled that the Rudderkin FINALLY pushed the button, managed to pull the rod and unlock the door, and was squeaking in triumph when Tellisyn burst through the door and sent him flying. She plucked the Immovable Rod out of mid-air and stuck it in her bag as we all ran past the prone Rudderkin, who shook its little paw at us, apparently vowing revenge.

Falinrae and Aeana are in the Ethereal Plane because that’s where Falinrae’s holy mount is - a unicorn. Falinrae summons the unicorn, who takes both of them on its back and teleports/Plane Shifts them to the city of Oakshadow, one of the major cities of the Sidh Aisles. Specifically, they arrive just outside the city at the forest grove that serves as the home of the Loresinger, the High Priest for Tulani. They arrive however in the middle of pure chaos. All the clerics, druids, paladins…all are running around in confusions, tearing at their hair and beating their chests.

Their connections to Tulani were gone. Along with all their powers, spells, and abilities. Which could only mean one thing.

Skeever, Ksena, Tellisyn, Cullus, and Varis are running and running and running. As the temple collapses, the rubble explodes in a gout of volcanic magma as the three Angels of the Burning Host smash through the ground and begin to chase after us. By this point, the entire island is rumbling and shaking. Rudderkin and cultists are running in every direction, screaming their heads off, but the three Angels are charging right for us.

There’s no way for us to get off the island. We won’t have a boat, we don’t have an airship, and we don’t have a scroll of Teleport.

What we do have…

quote:

Varis – “Guys, I have a plan. But you’re not going to like it.”

Cullus – “Will it get us out of here?”

Varis – “Yes, but you’re not going to like it.”

Tellisyn – “Shut up and tell us what it is!”

Varis – “I have a scroll of Plane Shift…”

Ksena – “Great! Shift us to Abeforth’s!”

Varis – “That won’t work. It has to be another plane of existance.”

Cullus – “Can you take us Ethereal?”

Varis – “The island will be exploding over there too. We’d still get caught up in the blast! Same for the Astral!”

Ksena – “Well, where CAN you take us?”

Varis – “There’s only one plane other than the Ethereal that I’ve been to…”

Cullus – “Where?!?”

Varis – “…Gehenna.”

Tellisyn – “Gehenna…YOU WANT TO TAKE US TO THE REALM OF THE DEAD?!?”

Varis – “We don’t have a choice!”

Cullus – “Dude, if this is just because you want to see Annwn again…”

Varis – “Cullus, I’m not joking. Look, we don’t have a choice, there’s no other way out of here! Do you guys trust me?”

Tellisyn – “No, but let’s do this anyway!”

We all join hands, and as the Angels of the Burning Host descend upon us, I cast the spell…

quote:

Varis – “The Temple of the Dead, the Temple of the Dead, the Temple of the Dead…wait, Annwn is not going to be happy to see me…”

One minute later, we’re on an exploding island. The next, we’re standing in the middle of a featureless gray waste. The ground is flat with a few hills and ridges. In the distance to the east, we can see a wall of fire reaching into the sky. To the south, a river of black water rushes past. To the north, a large spire reaches into the sky. Two armies was clashing with each other – an army of devils, and an army of demons.

Varis’ botch of casting Plane Shift had taken the party right smack into to the middle of the Blood War.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 16, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

CobiWann posted:

Varis’ botch of casting Plane Shift had taken the party right smack into to the middle of the Blood War.
I know academically that dice are inanimate objects, but sometimes I think maybe they understand narrative tension.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Yawgmoth posted:

I know academically that dice are inanimate objects, but sometimes I think maybe they understand narrative tension.

This just got added to our campaign's quote book.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I read this entire thread over the last few weeks. I love the stories, but there's something that's been driving me crazy:

Hoard. Treasure comes in hoards. Orcs come in hordes.

Thank you.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I read this entire thread over the last few weeks. I love the stories, but there's something that's been driving me crazy:

Thank you.

What about treasure orcs?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Argas posted:

What about treasure orcs?

If you're collecting them it's a hoard of hordes, if they're invading you it's a horde of hoards.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

CobiWann posted:

Good thing you just freed an ancient Archdevil that can help!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

nimby posted:

Good thing you just freed an ancient Archdevil that can help!

No kidding. Way I see it, that dude owes you a favor.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

And if he didn't negotiate on the price of that favor beforehand, when he asked for the party's hekp, well, that's too bad for him.

(Trying to swindle the devil ALWAYS ends well)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

CobiWann posted:

Moment of levity – I mentioned that we used the Immovable Rod to block the temple doors, and that there was a Rudderkin who has been trying desperately to budge the drat thing without having any luck. The DM ruled that the Rudderkin FINALLY pushed the button, managed to pull the rod and unlock the door, and was squeaking in triumph when Tellisyn burst through the door and sent him flying. She plucked the Immovable Rod out of mid-air and stuck it in her bag as we all ran past the prone Rudderkin, who shook its little paw at us, apparently vowing revenge.

Well, Az has a new high priest.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Thank you.

I always picture a gleaming pile of barbarians or a screaming crowd of gems.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I was very amused from my game last night that the dwarf fighter with one of a sword that are each bound to the soul of an elf on their birth, who has joined in the psychic gestalt that rules the elves at its request for a short time, and who has been asked by one of the elven deities to preserve her people when calamity comes did NOT get why an NPC described him in prophecy as having half a soul...

He's due for a fun surprise in time!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Dareon posted:

Well, Az has a new high priest.

GM - "Do you think he has a high enough Wisdom score to be a Cleric?"

Skeever's PC - "Who needs cantrips when you have card tricks? 'If I wasn't a priest of Az, could I pull this gold coin out of your ear?'"

GM - "These characters will never see him again, but the big bad two campaigns will be a centuries-old rudderkin warlock. You will all bow before Skunge the Undying!"

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 17, 2017

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Where our party had ended up was the border between Gehenna and the Nine Hells. The DM ruled that Varis was thinking of Gehenna but still had the Archdevil on his mind when he was casting Plane Shift. We quickly headed down to the riverbank, ducking out of sight of the demonic and devilish armies, as (as some of you predicted) Tellisyn uses a scroll of “Contact Other Plane” to get in touch with the archdevil we just freed, Koeth. Since Koeth is literally one plane over (plus is technically Tellisyn’s uncle), the connection is made, and indeed, he does “owe us a favor.” He tells us that he can arrange teleportation out of Gehenna, but in order to do so our party has to meditate on their darkest sins…

quote:

Varis – “It’s a good thing I slept with that prostitute.”

Cullus – ”It’s a good thing I sent Varis that prostitute.”

…and in a column of fire, we’re whisked out of Gehenna. We arrive in what appears to be an open-aired throne room. In front of us is a large throne made of bones – not carved out of bones or set into a pile of bones, but just bones that someone had sat in long enough to conform the bones around them into a throne. On one side sits a three-headed hound lazily chewing on a large femur. On the other side, a Pit Fiend crouches, attached to the throne by a long black chain.

And sitting atop the throne is a red-skinned female wearing a loincloth and nothing else. She holds a staff with a sharp-looking hook on the end. On her head sit two small horns, and on her lips is a wicked smile.

”Welcome to the Second Circle of Hell. I am Dispater, Queen of the Iron City.”

Falinrae and Aeana are talking to the Loresinger of Tulani about what happened. An hour earlier, every cleric, druid, and paladin in Oakshadow lost the connection to their god. At the moment they’re not able to even cast simple cantrips or use magical artifacts. To Falinrae this can only mean that something she had long believed had finally come to pass – that Tulani would not survive the return of Az. And since Falinrae helped gather the keys to kill Koeth and free Az, that meant that the death of Tulani was HER fault, no one else’s.

A few minutes later, a green portal opens up and out stumbles none other than Tulani himself, clutching one half of his broken spear. It’s immediately obvious to everyone that Tulani is dying. He’s missing a large part of his arm, one of his wings had been ripped off, and his leaf armor is soaked with blood. The god collapses on the marble floor with a sob. Before anyone can react, he reaches out and motions for Falinrae to kneel down next to him.

”It has come to pass. I am dying however I have weakened Az and bought you time. My followers and worshippers will find new gods. You must be their protector. Warn them that Az is not the answer they seek.” He touched Falinrae’s forehead with a bloody finger, and with a flash of light transferred the last of his energy (which the DM and players nicknamed “The Godspark”) to her. ”You are the last Paladin of Tulani. You will see this world endure…”

With that, Tulani, the Great Muse, god of the forest, died in the arms of his only remaining paladin.

Dispater leans over us, and both Varis and Cullus are thinking the same thing. ”Don’t stare at her boobs, don’t stare at her boobs, don’t stare at her boobs.”

”I must thank you for bringing Koeth back to me after a thousand years away. Running the city of Dis without my majordomo has been such a hassle. In return, I will ensure your souls are comfortably tortured for all eternity.” After a pause, she smiled. ”Of course, I still own you a boon for bringing him back. Each of you will receive one boon from me, without strings, without any tricks. However, this boon is for you and you alone. Choose wisely.”

After some discussion, we all agree that the most important thing is to get back to Falinrae and Aeana. So Varis, Tellisyn, Skeever, and Ksena all wish to be taken to Falinrae, figuring that there’s no way she’d leave Aenea behind. In the blink of an eye, we’re all sent to Oakshadow, where we find Falinrae cradling Tulani’s dead body. And before anything else happens…

…Ksena immediately turns and punches Varis square in the face. I roll a “1” on my Constitution saving throw and Varis gets knocked cold. “That’s for damning my immortal soul, rear end in a top hat.”

As for Cullus…Dispater studies him. ”You…you don’t need a boon to be sent to Oakshadow. You’ve been touched by a god. They have claim over you, not me. I can’t keeping you here without risking their wrath. Go.” And just like that, Cullus gets sent back to Oakshadow, where he sees Ksena stomping away from an unconscious Varis.

”Wait,” he cried out. ”Dispater still owes me a wish! I want…I want a dagger like Tellisyn’s cousin had, that anytime I touch someone with it, I send them directly to the Nine Hells!”

And with that, a dagger appears in front of him. Cullus grabs it…and ends up right back in front of Dispater.

”Oh for gently caress’S sake Cullus,” she sighs as she takes the dagger from him and sends him back to Oakshadow.

The funeral for Tulani is a somber affair for the Sidh. The Loresinger, Moonspeaker of the Sidh, Sunspeaker of the Sidh, and Falinrae all place the body on the funeral pyre and light it in the illumination of the full moon. Everyone’s quiet and introspective. Ksena apologizes to Varis, as her god Emanyn told her during meditation that her soul was safe – she hadn’t been sent to the Nine Hells so much as “accidentally walked to them.” After the funeral, our party decides that since we’re the ones responsible for releasing Az, it’s up to us to put him back in the proverbial bottle. That means a trip back to Highspire, and a trip to see Sagan Pennywhistle, immortal bard and walking lore repository. While we had been dealing with the Ancellyn he had been doing some research on Az and what it might take to stop him should be end up being released. From what Sagan managed to find out, when Az was imprisoned it was discovered that his holy artifacts – his sword, his belt, and so on – couldn’t be destroyed as they’d simply end up reforming on his body, making it easy for him to carve his way out of prison. Instead, the artifacts were given to the gods to be scattered across Tanicus where Az would never be able to find them.

And since these artifacts were from an angel of Good alignment, in order to prevent him from detecting them the gods would place them in areas of great evil…

The first artifact was located far to the south, in the frozen swamps just north of the Kingdom of the Dead, home of the Lich King. Once upon a time there had been a lizardman tribe, and one day their chief got his hands on a magical artifact of great power. The artifact allowed him to quickly unite the tribes and carve out a Lizardman Empire, but the sheer violence and brutality of his reign saw his subjects murder him and bury his body AND the artifact deep within the swamps. This artifact was one of Az’s, and our first stop in the latest tour around Tanicus.

Of course, there’s just ONE small problem – we’re still being followed. The Revenant who had been tracking Aeana had been turned into a compass that always pointed towards her in his one-year quest for vengeance. If we were to head to the swamps, there is no doubt Az’s forces would soon be right on our tail and in large enough numbers to seize the artifact. So we had to deal with the Revenant first before doing anything else. Luckily, Sagan has a plan.

“Revenants are creatures of vengeance, which means they come from Citira, Goddess of Vengeance. In order to destroy one, all you have to do it petition her and have one of her priests preform a ritual to dismiss the creature to its final reward. Luckily, I know where there’s a priest of Citira here in Highspire. The High Priest of Citira himself, actually.”

Stannis Grumgate, High Priest of Citira and warden of the prison of Catra’zal.”

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man please keep these coming. :f5:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Podima posted:

Oh man please keep these coming. :f5:

I'm finally caught up - I think I dumped 3-4 months worth of game this past week. Next game is on Sunday.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

CobiWann posted:

I just want you to know, when the campaign is done, I'm going to go through this thread and make a big loving text file of it. I can think of at least half a dozen people I know that would love to read it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rorac posted:

I just want you to know, when the campaign is done, I'm going to go through this thread and make a big loving text file of it. I can think of at least half a dozen people I know that would love to read it.

I’m glad you guys are enjoying the write-ups! I wish I had more info on the first nine months of the campaign, before Varis and Ksena joined up…and according to the DM we still have about a year to go even if he's already painted up our PC's for the next campaign.

At the very least I’ll see if the DM will let me Dropbox the updated Player’s Handbook/History of Tanicus once this campaign is over.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

CobiWann posted:

I’m glad you guys are enjoying the write-ups! I wish I had more info on the first nine months of the campaign, before Varis and Ksena joined up…and according to the DM we still have about a year to go even if he's already painted up our PC's for the next campaign.

At the very least I’ll see if the DM will let me Dropbox the updated Player’s Handbook/History of Tanicus once this campaign is over.

New to the thread and your write-ups, which are great.

What system are you guys using?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Wow, yet another discovery of terribly awkward pacing in the Pathfinder sample adventures.

After clearing out the temple of Disease that was behind spreading the plague in the town, we find a couple of magical boxes. Put some diseased flesh and an object in a box, close it and leave it for a bit, and the inanimate object becomes a 100% effective carrier of the disease. Obviously, tremendously effective if the object is something like "a coin".

In a random side room we find one of the guys who hangs out at the temple, but wasn't involved in the active plague, is a vampire. He hangs out there because he's interested in vampirism as a disease, and he got really interested when he learned that the people who were using the boxes before are now dead.

So, hey, players, what do you want to do? Fight a level 14(!) Vampire at low level, or leave him alone with full knowledge that he's going to start making coins which turn anyone who handles them into a loving vampire, which is about ten times worse than the plague that was supposed to be the main threat?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

hyphz posted:

Wow, yet another discovery of terribly awkward pacing in the Pathfinder sample adventures.

After clearing out the temple of Disease that was behind spreading the plague in the town, we find a couple of magical boxes. Put some diseased flesh and an object in a box, close it and leave it for a bit, and the inanimate object becomes a 100% effective carrier of the disease. Obviously, tremendously effective if the object is something like "a coin".

In a random side room we find one of the guys who hangs out at the temple, but wasn't involved in the active plague, is a vampire. He hangs out there because he's interested in vampirism as a disease, and he got really interested when he learned that the people who were using the boxes before are now dead.

So, hey, players, what do you want to do? Fight a level 14(!) Vampire at low level, or leave him alone with full knowledge that he's going to start making coins which turn anyone who handles them into a loving vampire, which is about ten times worse than the plague that was supposed to be the main threat?

The more infectious material overrides the less infectious

If you put a coin in with a big chunk of vampire, the vampire becomes afflicted with shortsighted greed

:capitalism:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Keep him monologuing till daylight? Craft fake boxes and Sleight of Hand away the real ones? Or just smash the real boxes and :zoid: away?
Joke answer - put your flesh in the box to infect the vampire with adventurer syndrome.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

CobiWann posted:

”Wait,” he cried out. ”Dispater still owes me a wish! I want…I want a dagger like Tellisyn’s cousin had, that anytime I touch someone with it, I send them directly to the Nine Hells!”

And with that, a dagger appears in front of him. Cullus grabs it…and ends up right back in front of Dispater.

”Oh for gently caress’S sake Cullus,” she sighs as she takes the dagger from him and sends him back to Oakshadow.

Holy poo poo what a wonderful dick move. I hope to one day be able do that sort of poo poo to players.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

hyphz posted:

Pretty sure Paizo knows that their fans would buy a book that they literally took a poo poo in and slammed shut, so they don't bother with such trivialities as playtesting or editing or even something simple like "ask someone who knows anything about anything even tangentially related about this thing". It'll rake in exactly the same amount of money either way, why bother giving a gently caress about quality?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Rockopolis is on the right track. Adventurers, as they level up, start flat-out ignoring some nasty diseases that they contract while doing their thing. Put some fighter flesh in there to give the Vampire giga dysentery from the Undersump, lung cancer from repeated campfires in enclosed spaces or ghost rabies from that one time they fought a spirit wolf.

e: actually, is it limited to one disease? if not you could toss in pieces of flesh from the whole party to knock even a vampire on it's rear end with a cocktail of every genetic disease, dormant disease and addiction (thanks to the drug rules) the party has

Eox fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 17, 2017

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

empathe posted:

New to the thread and your write-ups, which are great.

What system are you guys using?

D&D Fifth Edition, with a few tweaks - no Half-Orcs (Orcs are fungus based in Tanicus and regardless of anything, no one in this world is banging a plant), Tieflings aren't a player race yet, and the GM is incorporating a lot of Unearthed Arcana as he sees fit.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Eox posted:

Rockopolis is on the right track. Adventurers, as they level up, start flat-out ignoring some nasty diseases that they contract while doing their thing. Put some fighter flesh in there to give the Vampire giga dysentery from the Undersump, lung cancer from repeated campfires in enclosed spaces or ghost rabies from that one time they fought a spirit wolf.

e: actually, is it limited to one disease? if not you could toss in pieces of flesh from the whole party to knock even a vampire on it's rear end with a cocktail of every genetic disease, dormant disease and addiction (thanks to the drug rules) the party has
Vampires are undead and thus immune to both disease and poison (which includes drugs). You need special not-diseases and not-poisons for that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CobiWann posted:

no one in this world is banging a plant
Pretty sure 5 seconds of googling would prove you wrong.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyphz posted:

Put some perfectly healthy flesh into one of the boxes so the Vampire catches Life.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Splicer posted:

Put some perfectly healthy flesh into one of the boxes so the Vampire catches Life.

Douse it in healing potion first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Splicer posted:

Pretty sure 5 seconds of googling would prove you wrong.

No one on TANICUS is banging a plant.

And just because you put the drat idea in my head I went to Literotica and did a search for "banging a plant." I think I just botched a Sanity check. drat you Splicer, you rodent centurion!