Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Arist posted:

I'm not gonna spoil too much but I'm on episode 9 and this show has gotten pretty pretty weird. And I doubt they could show that much and have it look at all good, especially on their budget.

I'll say it again but I like the glow-hand effect a good deal.

They're leaning into it much harder than I would have suspected, at least.

Well, I can always hope! Still only on episode two here.

On an unrelated note, I couldn't help but notice that Ward and Harold look maybe a decade apart in age, if that (Pelphrey and Wenham are actually 17 years apart, which could be a worse stretch, but Wenham has aged a lot better, lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Barry Convex posted:

Just finished the first episode, and man, I can already tell that so many of the show's problems stem from the completely asinine decision to play down the supernatural elements in order to keep it more in line with the other Netflix shows tonally.

Lol. Maybe watch more than one episode, man.

I'm only up to 7, and we've had the Bride of Spiders, Kun'Lun being in another dimension, a flashback to Danny's mentor saying his final tournament bout to become the Iron Fist is with the Dragon, Crane Mother's TK-slap, Harold being ressurected in the backstory, and lots of glowy-hand-kaboom.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Barry Convex posted:

Well, I can always hope! Still only on episode two here.

On an unrelated note, I couldn't help but notice that Ward and Harold look maybe a decade apart in age, if that (Pelphrey and Wenham are actually 17 years apart, which could be a worse stretch, but Wenham has aged a lot better, lol).

Eh, don't want to oversell it. When I say parts of it are weird, I mean kind of campy, almost. I like those parts of it a lot, actually.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jesus I swear I tried to give it a fair shake but I'm just a bit into episode 3 and just do not give a poo poo about continuing. I think I'll rewatch JJ or Luke Cage or something...

my biggest issue is that I just absolutely do not care about these characters at all. Danny is just a painfully generic 'billionaire comes back from the dead to punch assholes' character that would have been fine if there haven't been what five seasons of Arrow by now, and the entirety of The Dark Knight movies, and Iron Man...and I'm sure I'm missing others. I get that that's not really Netflix's fault but man if you're gonna go through well walked paths you really need to step your game up, and this guy is not doing it.

Everyone around him has the depth of a puddle and seems to exist to just say plot hooks or proverbs. DD and Luke Cage and JJ had a strong supporting cast that was important to the hero's story too, and I know this gets better in time but I just don't want to wait any more episodes for any character other than Danny to matter, everyone else was able to do that right away.

Honestly I expected this to be terrible garbage but in reality all I got was just an extremely boring show that feels like it's watered down everything cool about a genuinely interesting part of Marvel. I'll almost certainly come back to this later to finish it but unlike the rest of Netflix's Marvel there's nothing keeping me hooked.

I will say this, I AM still looking forward to Defenders, because I think despite my issues with Danny, the actor isn't terrible, and he'll probably play well with other heroes. I think there's a good show in here, but it's covered by so much blandness that it's just not worth digging out for me.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I found myself pretty uninterested with a fair bit Jessica's supporting cast and flat not liking the two major ones in Daredevil, so I guess I welcome Iron Fist's cast just being sorta there. Luke Cage did supporting cast the best so far.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

On episode 6, and the show is getting better now that they've moved past a lot of re-introducing Danny to the world, and are getting into the meat of show. Honestly, I think the biggest problem is that Finn Jones is Netflix's first really bad casting choice. The guy just doesn't really sell any aspect of the character.

I mean, I don't know who I would have cast, but there has to be someone better than this.

I guess I disagree with some of the rest of you - I think the supporting cast is pretty decent, here (particularly Jessica Henwick). It's Jones that lets the show down.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 17, 2017

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

opening of ep 9 fuuuuuuuck.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
that's fair, I'll cop to my supporting cast stuff being a really subjective reason to ding a show.

But yea Luke Cage is my gold standard too. Honestly I think IF is hurt most coming after that. If they rejiggered it and had this come out after DD season 2 it'd feel a lot less bland.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

they might as well do a shang chi show for netflix. while there would be some backlash about asian guy doing kung fu is stereotyping, unfortunately netflix probably doesn't have the big cgi budget the films or even abc has so all there heroes need to have relatively cheap to produce on screen abilities. plus with all the hand stuff it would be easy to write him in as being the son of a major hand figure

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
Ep.8 "Are you a moron?"

Yes, Ward. Yes, he is :D

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
For a show that's supposed to be just "okay" you guys sure are crushing through it!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

For a show that's supposed to be just "okay" you guys sure are crushing through it!

I guess it's better than just okay then.

shrug.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

enraged_camel posted:

I'm extremely bored.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
It's all good, I'm just jealous because I gotta work all weekend.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

enraged_camel posted:

It's... kinda better than Luke Cage. Or Jessica Jones.

(In that while it never gets as high, it doesn't have a many-episode crash like they both did. It ramps up a bit - especially the amount of supernatural shenanigans going on - and there's a lot of plot movement, but it doesn't feel like it should have ended after eight episodes the way every series apart from Daredevil 1 has done.)

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Ep 10 So they're just completely changing The Hand from Daredevil season 1 and 2. Madam Gao now runs a rogue faction of the hand and there's Hand school. There's not a single ninja in sight!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Episode 10 Goddammit

e: "Wow. You are the worst Iron Fist ever." Ahahahahahaha

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 17, 2017

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The most unrealistic thing I've seen in this show so far is when Ward step's onto Colleen's mats with his shoes on and she doesn't immediately tell him he's a goatfucking twat.

I thought she was going to for a minute, but not a peep. I'll believe in magic before I believe a coach of any description would let that poo poo pass without comment.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

So are incredibly low viewer standards the savior of a mediocre-at-best tv show once again?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

So are incredibly low viewer standards the savior of a mediocre-at-best tv show once again?

You say that like it's happened before.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Oh Snapple! posted:

It's an OK show that doesn't have seem to fly as high as the other Netflix shows. It is being helped by all the critics savaging it beyond what it deserved, which lowered everyone's expectations, so they aren't disappointed they're not getting something as good as the other Marvel Netflix shows.

There's plenty of way worse poo poo on Netflix that you could waste your time on.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is not a particularly good show. I'm kind of into it though.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Calling such a racist show 'Iron Fist' is horrifically disingenuous. 'Rare-earth Fist' would be less problematic, but also would address China's rapacious mineral policy insensitively.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

eh never mind

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I don't share a lot of the issues most people have with this series, but I do find myself wishing Colleen was the main character instead of Danny Rand.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

As written, Danny is incredibly unlikable. A great actor (or a well cast one) could rise above that with enough charisma,

Finn Jones is not that man.

A 100% misfire from casting. I don't necessarily think that the Netflix Marvel Universe has great actors, but they've all been incredibly well-chosen and meshed well together.

This is basically Arrow with a bigger budget but markedly worse writing and an utterly unappealing cast. Arrow's dialogue has never been the best, but at least its characters motivations (particularly in early seasons) have always been clear and reasonably well thought out.

On the plus side, this has made me appreciate Stephen Amell's performance 100x more than before.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

I don't share a lot of the issues most people have with this series, but I do find myself wishing Colleen was the main character instead of Danny Rand.

This is my main issue with the show and I feel like thats kind of a big deal as far as problems to have go, only on episode 4 though.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Arist posted:

Lol I just got to the part where (episode 3) Danny mansplains martial arts to Colleen, gently caress this show

Hahaha! You're one of those people.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Judakel posted:

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Judakel posted:

Hey man, maybe you'd be happier posting on Reddit or some other garbage? That scene was awful and dude is completely correct in mocking it for it's dynamics.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Like, I was half-joking with that post, but it's funny seeing some real shitheads pop out of the woodwork to give me crap for it

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Arist posted:

Like, I was half-joking with that post, but it's funny seeing some real shitheads pop out of the woodwork to give me crap for it

literally no other posts in the thread lol

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Arist posted:

This is not a particularly good show. I'm kind of into it though.

This, basically.

I'm now 6 episodes in, and let me tell you I just want a Colleen, Claire, and Misty Knight "Daughters of the Dragon" series so loving hard. Sweet Christmas! *spang*

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm liking the show. While I had some issues with the scene spoken of, it led to a whole lot of cool stuff down the line and sometimes our neat action sidekick doesn't have to start out super awesome. Or something.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I want Frank Castle to go to war with the Kingpin and cap that fool, unlike all those times in the comics where it didn't happen back in the day, tis what I want.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I've just started the first episode and god drat, no one is capable of talking to anyone. Everyone's a dipshit.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Arist posted:

Sorry, you're just an idiot. The series is pretty bad, but this angle is worse.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, okay, totally, keep going, real compelling perspective you got there

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Well, if no one else, I do really like Colleen. I don't know anything about Iron Fist, but a cursory glance says she's gonna be around for a while. That's good with me. I still think the best decision for Round 2 of this Netflix stuff is to have Danny and Luke share a show with occasional Jessica appearances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Arist posted:

Yeah, okay, totally, keep going, real compelling perspective you got there

Look, you can just hate the show for being a lovely Netflix Marvel show. You don't have to come up with microaggressions.