Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
So how good are the graphics on PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How do you pet the pod with a controller that doesn't have one of those dualshock touchpads? Is it possible?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Jack Trades posted:

How do you pet the pod with a controller that doesn't have one of those dualshock touchpads? Is it possible?

I think she does it automatically sometimes if you idle near it. There have been times where she pet it after I floated dwn with it, but could be my finger brushed the pad accidentally.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 17, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Jack Trades posted:

Probably not. Seems like a not-good port, but no real surprise there.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
So do I wait for a patch or game ready driver for the PC version or do I break down and get it for my OG PS4?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Had my first crash while exploring the station after the prologue (when I tried to go into a "terminal" door I think). :(

Other than that this is amazing. The prologue was so good.

e: And it didn't retain my graphics settings :/

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I just finished the prologue/demo part.

And, uh.

Am I supposed to be in grayscale? I assume I am, because color was fine before, but just wondering.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Papercut posted:

Had my first crash while exploring the station after the prologue (when I tried to go into a "terminal" door I think). :(

Other than that this is amazing. The prologue was so good.

e: And it didn't retain my graphics settings :/

I had a crash on the PS4 version yesterday just before the final fight of ending A. Set me far enough back to be annoying, and was a kind of quaint reminder to save early, save often in this modern era where autosave is taken for granted.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Supremezero posted:

I just finished the prologue/demo part.

And, uh.

Am I supposed to be in grayscale? I assume I am, because color was fine before, but just wondering.

Yes, the Bunker is in black and white. It's meant to emphasize that Earth is pretty and natural.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Anyone know if the game just flat out doesn't support anything over 60hz? I have a 120hz monitor with an anti-blur mode and it's physically painful to have it on because it has a horrible strobing effect due to the game only supporting 60hz. There's also no DS4 controller support on PC either.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Anyone know if the game just flat out doesn't support anything over 60hz? I have a 120hz monitor with an anti-blur mode and it's physically painful to have it on because it has a horrible strobing effect due to the game only supporting 60hz. There's also no DS4 controller support on PC either.

It is locked to 60hz/60fps. It also again made my g-sync monitor angry and stuttery/things just looked and felt wrong during the pre-rendered 30 fps cutscene with g-sync on.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

havenwaters posted:

It is locked to 60hz/60fps. It also again made my g-sync monitor angry and stuttery/things just looked and felt wrong during the pre-rendered 30 fps cutscene with g-sync on.

Fair enough. So locked to 60hz, no DS4 support and pre-rendered 30fps cutscenes. Pretty weird PC port! Good thing the game is great.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Game: "Commence Fishing"

Wait, what I have no rod. Okay... *pushes button*

... what.

That's amazing.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Fair enough. So locked to 60hz, no DS4 support and pre-rendered 30fps cutscenes. Pretty weird PC port! Good thing the game is great.

It's looking like that fullscreen mode may be a little busted in general. So that's a thing to keep in mind/I'll want to check out some borderless fullscreen software whenever I get a chance in a few hours

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Really appreciate that the valve model was just taken from Pascal

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Game: "Commence Fishing"

Wait, what I have no rod. Okay... *pushes button*

... what.

That's amazing.

The stupid little cyber chair she leans against during it is my favorite part. You can actually get some equipment by fishing in certain spots, a weapon in the sewers beneath the theme park, and a new pod in the flooded city so it's worth your time to do it periodically.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Are you connected to the network? Not sure how it is without being so as I've never played without that but you should be able to pray and continue or continue and then from there retrieve or repair. If you can't and it's not the network thing, I don't know what the issue is.

Having been reading more reactions on the PC port, the issues seem hard to pin down generally and aren't the same for all.

Some are reporting it's rendering lower than stated and outputting at their designated res.
Some are reporting a re-do of the MGRR locking your monitors refresh rate
Some are saying they're running perfectly on a 970 and decent processor and people like havenwaters here are getting worse performance than they really should be.

I've read the cutscenes are pre-rendered on PS4 still are though.
Seems like another PC port from a Japanese developer who isn't good at at them.

e: Just watched a video from some dude with his GPU stats overlay all over the screen because of course he does even though it's the worst thing and the cutscenes are definitely still pre-rendered.

I've got a 980ti and an i7 4790k, and it helped a lot to put the game in windowed mode. Fullscreen runs at 30-40 FPS at maxed settings, windowed is a stable 60FPS.

Maybe graphics driver updates will help, but for now I'll be fine.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

havenwaters posted:

It's looking like that fullscreen mode may be a little busted in general. So that's a thing to keep in mind/I'll want to check out some borderless fullscreen software whenever I get a chance in a few hours

I tried Borderless Gaming and DS4 Windows and they both worked totally fine. Hopefully some of this stuff is fixed but if not oh well the third party programs do the job.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

I've got a 980ti and an i7 4790k, and it helped a lot to put the game in windowed mode. Fullscreen runs at 30-40 FPS at maxed settings, windowed is a stable 60FPS.

Maybe graphics driver updates will help, but for now I'll be fine.

Yeah if that's the case fullscreen is broken or windowed is upscaling from 1600x900 and not doing the right resolution. It's one or the other. Hope it's the former and is just something that can get patched. I'll just use borderless gaming.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I return from my exile now that I've beaten the game through and through.

An amazing follow-up to Nier otherwise but drat if Ending E isn't anticlimactic af

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What button do you guys have dodge on? R2 seems really uncomfortable, but putting it on circle like dark souls makes action kinda annoying.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

r2 is perfectly fine and I had no troubles with it at all

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Tae posted:

What button do you guys have dodge on? R2 seems really uncomfortable, but putting it on circle like dark souls makes action kinda annoying.

I don't really have a problem with it personally. Maybe put it on L1 since that hand isn't nearly as busy? I guess you'd have to remap pod skill then.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

An amazing follow-up to Nier otherwise but drat if Ending E isn't anticlimactic af

What about it was anticlimactic for you?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Tae posted:

I like swapping it and fire so dodging is on the more responsive button. Since you'll be holding down fire all the time anyway R2 is pretty good for it.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

What about it was anticlimactic for you?

It tried to ape the Ending D of Nier but didn't have any of the same emotional incentive for actually deleting your save. A lot of plot points were left hanging and it just doesn't match any of the endings of Taro's previous games in my opinion.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tae posted:

I think you're probably going to be in the minority about this. I would say you might consider swapping it to L2 but I suppose it would give you the same issue as R2?

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
After having played some more, I'm gonna say don't buy this game for PC. It never runs well, some of the resolution settings don't do anything at all, and the cutscenes are worse than on ps4 for seemingly no reason.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Nina posted:

It tried to ape the Ending D of Nier but didn't have any of the same emotional incentive for actually deleting your save. A lot of plot points were left hanging and it just doesn't match any of the endings of Taro's previous games in my opinion.

Very few of the plot points were actually left hanging. You either missed X or Y from playing the game too fast, or need to think a bit more carefully :)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nina posted:

Major final ending spoilers:
what

Did we play the same ending? That's a super powerful and impactful ending, with other players coming from around the world to support you as you give a big middle finger to the devs as they tell you to give up but everyone else says you can do it and shows you your support. To the point that they gave up their save data to help you.

I think that's the most I've loved a game ending since like MGS2. Between the music, the chorus, the kind words, and the sentiment of making your own happy ending, I seriously think it's an amazing ending by any standard.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Not quoting it because of spoilin' but swapping R1 and R2 so you can more comfortably hold down fire during combat isn't a bad idea and I'll give it a try. To be honest though, I'm at the point where my melee skills alone are enough to trivialize most encounters, so I'm not sure how much benefit I'd be adding.

Having a 30% deadly heal chip equipped is pretty much cheating at this point and I'm probably going to crank up the difficulty soon.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Never really felt the need to be shooting all the time either

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

I like swapping it and fire so dodging is on the more responsive button. Since you'll be holding down fire all the time anyway R2 is pretty good for it.

Ah right. I don't necessarily disagree with you then about having the emotional incentive to delete your file because a lot of that in this game is fostered directly in the ending by realising that people had to delete theirs to help you in the ending so if that doesn't elicit any response from you, there's nothing at all. If it does land though, it's amazing. I think the ending definitely answers quite a lot though, while leaving some stuff intentionally unanswered, with others left to read between the lines.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Elswyyr posted:

After having played some more, I'm gonna say don't buy this game for PC. It never runs well, some of the resolution settings don't do anything at all, and the cutscenes are worse than on ps4 for seemingly no reason.

"Never" seems to contradict my experience thus far.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Major final ending spoilers:
what

Did we play the same ending? That's a super powerful and impactful ending, with other players coming from around the world to support you as you give a big middle finger to the devs as they tell you to give up but everyone else says you can do it and shows you your support. To the point that they gave up their save data to help you.

I think that's the most I've loved a game ending since like MGS2. Between the music, the chorus, the kind words, and the sentiment of making your own happy ending, I seriously think it's an amazing ending by any standard.

Different strokes I suppose. It just didn't feel as much of a climax as the last endings of Drakengard, Nier and D3 to me.

My favourite ending is actually Ending D if you agree go along with Adam because it's finally some kind of solace for 9S after being the predestined chewing toy of everyone around him. I don't necessarily like him as a character that much but I did enjoy seeing where his arc went.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

this game seems to refuse to actually change resolutions properly in fullscreen

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FunkMonkey posted:

Yes, the Bunker is in black and white. It's meant to emphasize that Earth is pretty and natural.

Which is kinda funny because earth itself is really washed out. Yoko Taro just hates colors.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Mind you I adore the game otherwise and think it's pretty much 10/10. This is really the only sour note I have about it along the way.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RME posted:

this game seems to refuse to actually change resolutions properly in fullscreen

Seems to be the experience others have with it, yeah. I've read that the borderless window tool works with this game so try that and it may help you.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

Mind you I adore the game otherwise and think it's pretty much 10/10. This is really the only sour note I have about it along the way.

I respect your opinion about the ending, though I feel differently but who is best android???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Nina posted:

Not reading your sick spoilz until I'm done through the non-joke endings but I agree about the game being good. Not as good as its predecessor, but that's a high bar in my opinion. Honestly the only thing that bothers me is 2B's creepy pantsless outfit, and that's a petty complaint that's probably been driven into the ground in this thread already. I kind of wish she had the armor that the YorHa renegades wore, but alas.