Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

Sure they do, they play EDH more than competitive Modern/Legacy.

Then if they want to play fetches in an unofficial format they should proxy them? :shrug: At least they only need the one copy.

Besides, EDH games drag on for loving years as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Hell, there are plenty of casual folks wanting to get into modern. I hope this set helps them!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

Meh, if I wanted to move em I would have. My main hope is that my FS Goyfs will retain slightly more value than all the new art/frame stuff.

I legit did want them! I just ending up spending way more money on that trip than I intended to, then decided that what I should do in a year with a new Nintendo console and Masters set was to set a monthly gaming budget for myself so RIP.

Anyway, who all is drafting this over the weekend?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Shortest Path posted:

Someone selling a HP abrupt decay on TCGPlayer. How does that already exist? Did he spill coke on it?

EDIT: Cavern and Snapcaster at 30, Lili at 60 and dropping. What a time to be alive.

Some sellers have to be extra cautious on rating cards even pack fresh because autistic magic players are going to be poo poo heads. I don't mind it though because I don't buy old money cards unless they are hp or damaged these days and laugh at the cost savings.

sit on my Facebook posted:

Yeah that's crazy. Actually prices across the board are pretty much flattened, comparatively, and the first boxes are just getting cracked...

If you're a modern player, go sort mm17 singles on tcgplayer by price and prepare to be amazed

It was the easiest money WOTC has made in a long time too. Little chance the folks in suits aren't saying "Why don't we do things like this more often?".

They are selling boxes with less packs in them for double msrp. Its a loving money fountain.

(You see, if you sneak cards like into standard it might also have this effect on a smaller scale)

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 17, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
modern is now affordable, as long as you don't need hierarchs, karns, opals, engineered explosives, fulminators, mishra's bauble, etc. etc.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

little munchkin posted:

modern is now affordable, as long as you don't need hierarchs, karns, opals, engineered explosives, fulminators, mishra's bauble, etc. etc.

Fetches are probably more important to being able to play modern than any of those, so I am happy at least.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

little munchkin posted:

Or Street Wraiths.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sickening posted:

Fetches are probably more important to being able to play modern than any of those, so I am happy at least.

It's this

And as Saffron Olive pointed out, Path and Inquisition are yuge for building modern on a budget.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

little munchkin posted:

That reminds me, which deck(s) benefited the most from MM17? Any deck that plays those cards is probably still prohibitively expensive because they weren't reprinted.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

That reminds me, which deck(s) benefited the most from MM17? Any deck that plays those cards is probably still prohibitively expensive because they weren't reprinted.

Blue Jund?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mfcrocker posted:

Hell, there are plenty of casual folks wanting to get into modern. I hope this set helps them!

A lot of people who can't afford it are already playing it with Chinese counterfeits. Especially at FNM level events

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ShaneB posted:

Holy crap are fetch prices CRUSHED already. You can get tarns for less than half their pre-spoiler Zen price.

I preordered a set of Scalding Farms for $40 each on Channel Fireball and was happy to see that coupon code HAUMPH works on pre-order, so I saved another $8.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I mean, we'd all like to see the buy-in for modern be less than a hundred bucks or whatever, but let's be real here this is a huge step forward

Hierarch sucks, granted, but all those other cards are either replaceable with decent options or typically one- or two-of's

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
For those that have opened packs are they the same cardboard things from the last masters or are the proper packs? Because those cardboard things scratched the hell out of the cards.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I finally put my hierarchs on ebay after digging them out and it's funny to see the number of offers I'm getting from people trying to get it at the old, tentatively-reprinted, price.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BJPaskoff posted:

BGx if you don't need Confidants, probably. I need two Lilis and a playset of Goyfs to finish my Junk list, and probably some number of Catacombs too if I want the mana to be better. And Damnation would be good for the SB in my area. Guess what all got reprinted!

E: Fetches being reprinted also helps people get into Legacy, though I can't imagine the player who picked up ABU duals but felt that Tarn et al. were too expensive.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 17, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

The 3-color midrange/control decks probably dropped the most, but they're still absurdly expensive. For all of the hype, the majority of the expensive cards in modern did not get reprinted and will just go up.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

C-Euro posted:

BGx if you don't need Confidants, probably. I need two Lilis and a playset of Goyfs to finish my Junk list, and probably some number of Catacombs too if I want the mana to be better. And Damnation would be good for the SB in my area. Guess what all got reprinted!

E: Fetches being reprinted also helps people get into Legacy, though I can't imagine the player who picked up ABU duals but felt that Tarn et al. were too expensive.

With how many more fetches you play than duals, some decks would put roughly the same amount into each.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Bugsy posted:

For those that have opened packs are they the same cardboard things from the last masters or are the proper packs? Because those cardboard things scratched the hell out of the cards.

Nope they are in foil packs like other sets now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Today is the day that facebook groups are going to start the "look at my sick pulls" from all those that folks that should have just bought singles. Whatever makes them happy though.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sickening posted:

Today is the day that facebook groups are going to start the "look at my sick pulls" from all those that folks that should have just bought singles. Whatever makes them happy though.

my favorite part of magic culture is people buying packs/boxes and bragging about making their money back, except it's imaginary tcgplayer mid dollars and not the kind of dollars that can buy you gasoline, food, beer, etc

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Also turns out that a friend attended a midnight draft last night and the person to his left dropped because they opened a tarn + foil lily and the TO was against the sane resolution. It was pack 2 as well. With the money cards and guaranteed foil in this set this is going to happen more often than it ever has.

little munchkin posted:

my favorite part of magic culture is people buying packs/boxes and bragging about making their money back, except it's imaginary tcgplayer mid dollars and not the kind of dollars that can buy you gasoline, food, beer, etc

They don't want to hear "That isn't what you can actually sell it for though."

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Sickening posted:

I always assume people think they can do the same as that guy in that one video who opened a ridiculously good MM15 box with a foil Goyf among other things. Foil fetches are especially good pulls, which are slightly easier to pull, no matter how negligible an amount.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

This is the one set I don't blame people for cracking a box of. I'm not buying a box, just to be clear.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Seems like grixis shadow is a deck that benefitted a lot from mm17, most of the money cards got reprinted and it doesn't play bauble usually.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

Also turns out that a friend attended a midnight draft last night and the person to his left dropped because they opened a tarn + foil lily and the TO was against the sane resolution. It was pack 2 as well. With the money cards and guaranteed foil in this set this is going to happen more often than it ever has.

They don't want to hear "That isn't what you can actually sell it for though."

Take the foil Lili and eat the 30 bucks that Tarn is going to be at in 2 weeks. Are people just broke or something? Why would you drop playing an event you stayed up to Midnight to play in just to save the cost of a dinner for two at Chili's?

(Also, opening packs is fun)

BJPaskoff posted:

BGx, I'd say. Abrupt Decay, Lingering Souls, Tarmogoyf, Liliana, Path, Inquisition, Terminate (although I don't know if Jund still plays it), Scavenging Ooze. Almost every relevant card is in MM17.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 17, 2017

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Angry Grimace posted:

Take the foil Lili and eat the 30 bucks that Tarn is going to be at in 2 weeks. Are people just broke or something? Why would you drop playing an event you stayed up to Midnight to play in just to save the cost of a dinner for two at Chili's?

(Also, opening packs is fun)

Yes, yes they are. I haven't seen demographics research, but I'd be surprised if the average player age was over 25. Generally people 25 and under are pretty poor.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

CompeAnansi posted:

Yes, yes they are. I haven't seen demographics research, but I'd be surprised if the average player age was over 25. Generally people 25 and under are pretty poor.

If you're poor enough to cut bait and run from a Midnight draft you paid a minimum of $35 for you're probably poor for a reason.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Angry Grimace posted:

Magic players

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
eating at chili's is easily the most disturbing thing in that post

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Whenever I see the horde of out-of-print sealed Magic product where I play at and get told things like a sealed 2010 Deckbuilder's Toolkit is a hundred dollar bill, I always ask: "who actually buys that?" I guess people do get stuff like sealed fat packs from seven years ago, but at a rate of once per month.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Angry Grimace posted:

If you're poor enough to cut bait and run from a Midnight draft you paid a minimum of $35 for you're probably poor for a reason.

Jesus christ look at this Foil Scalding Take

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
All the poor magic people need to just realize that, maybe, instead of buying the latest iPhone they could just spend the money on MM17 boxes.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Weird to accuse poor people of being poor exclusively because of pure money management and in the same breath try to advise that they let go of a card that pays for the next two drafts, almost like you don't have a real point and are a pissy baby?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tarmo has been heading towards the high 60's very quickly today. lily heading toward the mid 50's.

Watch the inni copies of lily. It appears that there is so many copies that they are having to compete with mm3 prices just to move them. People are trying to cash out before it gets worse.

Great times.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If you are paying $40 for a draft you aren't poor full stop

Sickening posted:

Tarmo has been heading towards the high 60's very quickly today. lily heading toward the mid 50's.

Watch the inni copies of lily. It appears that there is so many copies that they are having to compete with mm3 prices just to move them. People are trying to cash out before it gets worse.

Great times.

I've been F5ing the MM17 Lily page most of the morning when I want to see what's happening and it's held at $60 so far and Innistrad is $75 ... unless you're seeing something I'm not?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

eating at chili's is easily the most disturbing thing in that post

It was the only place I could think up off the top of my head that cost like $30 for two people (although I probably shouldn't have assumed Magic players would have a second person to go with) that they have in most places.

Death Bot posted:

Weird to accuse poor people of being poor exclusively because of pure money management and in the same breath try to advise that they let go of a card that pays for the next two drafts, almost like you don't have a real point and are a pissy baby?

First off, it's not weird in any way, you just figured that calling someone a "pissy baby" was a hot take everyone needed to read (thanks for that, I suppose). Second of all, the entire goddamn point of the post which everyone but you got is that people who play in midnight Modern Masters drafts with $10 packs + entry aren't loving poor, you chowderhead.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 17, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ShaneB posted:

If you are paying $40 for a draft you aren't poor full stop

I've been F5ing the MM17 Lily page most of the morning when I want to see what's happening and it's held at $60 so far and Innistrad is $75 ... unless you're seeing something I'm not?

First, tcg mid or market price is meaningless right now. Prices are changing too fast for this to be useful.

Of all the cards reprinted this one of the cards that has the closest spread between it and its other printing. If you just looked at n/m cards it would be farther apart but I think that is a little unfair for a tournament staple that is more than 6 years old.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BJPaskoff posted:

This is the one set I don't blame people for cracking a box of. I'm not buying a box, just to be clear.

I cracked a box because cracking packs is my heroin, and this set is like loving pure cut black tar in my eyeballs. :cocaine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Where are y'all seeing Tarns that cheap? CFB and Amazon don't seem to have seen the needle move all that much.

• Locked thread